Best "extras" you would recommend

Mom of Jack 2009

Mouseketeer
We are possible looking at our last trip to WDW as a family and I am looking for special experiences that could enhance our trip. We are already doing MNSSHP. So I'm asking for advice on what add-ons have you done that you felt were worth the money and really added to your trip. For reference it's 3 adults (one a senior) and a 7 year-old. Thanks in advance!

Can I assume you already have Memory Maker? The photos now appear on your iPhone on the WDW app in no time at all. My kids were much less resistant to stopping for a photo, knowing they would see it right away.

We really loved the Pirates and Pals cruise this trip and recommend it highly.

Last edited:
If your 7-year old is interested, I would consider one of the kids' only cruises. My DS particularly likes the one that leaves from YC. They are two hours long and the one from YC actually has the kids going into the EP Canada pavilion before it opens to find treasure - he loved it!

We also really love Blizzard Beach and mini-golfing at WinterSummerland.

If you haven't been, I really recommend going to the Boardwalk in the evening for the entertainment and carnival games.

Pirates and Pals is also a lot of fun!

Not sure I'd call them add ons but things I'd include for sure: Hoop de doo meal, catch the electric water parade, get ride photos, just Enjoy each n every family experience.

If you can work it into your budget, go for a private fireworks cruise. My kids still talk about the one we did four years ago.

The horse back riding at Fort Wilderness is fun. Also, the Wild Africa Trek & the Backstage Tales tours in AK are a lot of fun & interesting.

Last trip was probably our last family trip so I went deluxe. Did a split stay with Poly and the BC. I let my son pick his favorite character meal which was Chef Mickey's. We went a bit longer than usual and did 10 nights instead of 7-8 nights.

ETA: We focused more on what my son would like since I will still take DD to WDW. DS is about to graduate in two years and going as a family of 4 is most likely over. I'll try to squeeze in a trip with him but I doubt it. We have DR next year and he wants to do PR for his graduation gift. Then who knows what will happen after that with college or his life plans.

Last edited:
Any and all tours would be fun! I'm doing the Wild Africa Trek in September but I'm not sure how mobile your senior member of your party is (harnesses are involved, lots of walking, bridges to cross), however I'm sure there are other tours that could fit everyones needs. :goodvibes

Also you could do pin trading or play SOTMK if you don't do so already. Your 7 yo may like interacting with CM's to trade and even other guests! And SOTMK is something everyone can contribute to - every member of your party can get new cards each day - that will really help boost your collection.

Doing any of the resort activities (some have ones in the pool and other spots around the resort with prizes involved, the movie night, etc.)

Totally forgot mini golf! That is always fun. I've done the course by the water park and now looking to do the one near the Swan & Dolphin this time around.

Last edited:
A lot of our favorites have already been mentioned but I'll second the sentiment. We've done a number of things over the years but some highlights for us have been SW dessert party, character meals at Tusker House & Garden Grill, horseback riding, Surrey bikes at Wilderness Lodge & Boardwalk, Balloon ride in DS, Pirates fireworks cruise, & festival in Epcot.

If he is a SW fan I would think the Jedi training at HS would be fun. Also the little dress like a pirate thing they have at MK would probably be fun. Personally, if it were my last trip for a long time (I can't even imagine), I wouldn't load it with extras but try to just take in the little things that people tend to miss while running around and trying to ride all the rides. I've been going for over 30 years and there are still so many things I haven't seen and done so I'm on a mission each trip to try one new thing in each park. If your son enjoys birds, Flights of Wonder in AK is fun for all. For the senior maybe an afternoon of resort hopping to check out the monorail resorts. Ride over to Tom Sawyers Island in MK with lunch in hand and let your little one run and play while the two adults sit in the shade.

DH and I did the fishing excursion from the Beach and Yacht Club. It was SO fun! They take you around the Boarwalk, over to the Swan/Dolphin and then over to World Showcase Lagoon.

Just a FYI, a lot of the activities mentioned have an age requirement (tours, horseback riding). Your 7yr old wouldn't be eligible.

Not sure where you are staying but we did mini golf by the Swan/Dolphin and had so many laughs. Renting a bike on the BW is great too. Also dining at the Poly and going out to the beach for the EWP and Wishes is lovely. The Wishes and Illuminations cruises are also beautiful if you wanted to add something on. I haven't done a dessert party.

I think being together as a family is such a great memory. My "kids" are in their late teens and 20s and when I think back to the trips we took with my mom when she was with us, it's the little things I remember. I love the idea of giving framed pictures of the trip to the family afterwards as a special remembrance.

I hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter