Best "emergency" card?

Raya

DIS Veteran
We use our Disney Visa Rewards card for all expenses, then pay it off each month in full. When that card was recently compromised I realized we need a back-up card. It won't get much use, honestly it would just be there for when the Rewards card doesn't work for some reason. Is there a better card to get for those circumstances? We don't ever carry a balance. Our regular trips are via Delta Air and generally we just go to Disney. We would like to go Disney Tokyo or Disney Paris someday, so a card that would work over seas is a must. I'd love to get some sort of cash back/miles/perk. It feels like there are a thousand deals out there but I'm struggling to pick which one would be best. I'd love some advice!

If you're looking to keep it as simple as possible get a 2% cashback card with no annual fee. Stop using the Disney Visa, switch your spend to a 2% card and make the Disney your backup. Most all cc will work overseas, what you want for then is one that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. Maybe don't cross that bridge until you're actually ready to book an international trip. WF Autograph has no AF and no foreign transaction fee but your earning rate varies depending on what you're buying.

Make sure to make a charge on your "emergency" card at least every 6 months so it does not get shut down by the issuer.

If you want to get serious about maximizing credit card points and miles to help you get that international trip skim through the first page of i love cc thread here on the DIS. Obviously you have to be organized, disciplined and not worried about opening multiple cc's. We're very nice over there if you have q's about finding out if that path is for you :)

It's generally recommended to have three cards. If you want to maximize your rewards stop spending on the Disney card and put that money on a 2% or greater cash back card, then use that money at WDW if that's what you want to do. My suggestion for a card would be the PenFed Power Cash Rewards. No AF, 2%, usually with a very good limit and no FTF. I would stay away from American Express as it does not have the acceptance that Visa and Mastercard do, especially overseas. And any card that is going to give you worthwhile rewards is going to have a decent AF.

I highly recommend looking at the points guy website and choosing a card that works for you.

As others said you might do better with a non-disney card and still keep the Disney for its perks as the back up - also look at the welcome offers as they can be quite good.
I have not used my Disney card in years - but I still have it - and only use it when they tell me I have to use it to keep it.

Also some card have what might seem like high annual fees - but you may find that you come out well ahead over the year - so its worth looking at.

Points guy and Nerd wallet are helpful for a quick synopsis of up to date card details. I’ve found them very useful for taking a quick look to compare cards mentioned here and elsewhere.

We are not expert users (like some who impressively have it down to a science) and still do ok without investing alot of time and energy. Our Capital One Venture card comes in handy especially where travel is concerned as well as Jet Blue for flight points and free luggage, etc. We had Disney Visa but after a couple years we moved to better reward systems and access to discounts.

0056F406-942C-4BB3-A7C3-FDD7404C6763.jpeg

https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/capital-one/reviews/capital-one-venture-card-review/

I should add these are not our only cards. We have several cards used to balance our different interests.

we like the one our credit union offers-depending on the categories you pick it's up to 3% rewards (now with the holidays many categories are doubling). it's $49 per year and also offers restaurant and other travel discounts. no foreign transaction fees.

note-hacking of a card is not the only reason to have a backup with you on vacation. we had a horrific experience wherein disney messed up our charges (did the hold each day and then ran the charges but never released the holds so it maxed out the card before the end of our stay AND dealing with the department that handles that stuff for resorts and cruising is a nightmare b/c it's not in house and customers can't deal with them directly). we always take a separate card (actually dh and i both take a different secondary card just in case).

Why? We like having Disney Reward dollars to spend on vacation...?
I have been a Disney Visa cardholder since "Day One" but stopped using it for day to day purchases when I got a Double Cash Back card (1% as your spend 1% as you pay, so 2%) because 2% means twice as much money for Disney (or whatever) than 1% in Disney dollars. You can always convert your rewards on the 2% card to Disney Giftcards.

Whatever card you get for emergency backup, I'd recommend a no fee card. If you are like me, you need a backup card, but rarely use it -- use the primary card you have chosen mostly with the perks/rewards you like best.

Maybe you want to rethink your primary card for something that will work well internationally if your current one doesn't do that. My primary card gives me the perks I enjoy the most and has no foreign transaction fee. It does have an annual fee, but that is more than made up in freebie awards. My backup has perks, no fee, does have a foreign transaction fee, but that doesn' t matter to me, as I don't do that much foreign travel and it's just a backup. The perks due to the infrequent use aren't any big deal.

That's though if you primarily just use the one card. Many use different cards for different purposes to maximize perks. Me -- to keep things simple and have one credit card to pay unless the backup card had to be used.

Last edited:

With the Chase Disney Visa, you are only receiving 1% back on your everyday charges. For everyday charges, if you like the idea of not having to think about categories and maximizing your rewards, plus you pay off your card charges monthly, you are much better off getting a credit card that offers 2% back on your everyday charges. NerdWallet site has a full list of them.

Why would you opt for rewards of $100 to spend at Disney when you could have $200 to spend at Disney or anywhere?

Why would you opt for rewards of $100 to spend at Disney when you could have $200 to spend at Disney or anywhere?
'Cause the card says "Disney" and has a pretty castle on it. Don't laugh, I have a "friend" who gives that reason. 🙄

I have a Verizon credit card and monthly the rewards go back on my cell phone bill. The rewards are 4% on groceries and gas, 3% dining, 2% on Verizon cell phone bill, and 1% all others. I also carry a 1.5% credit card on everything, and various other Chase cards with rotating categories.

Short answer: Because other cards give more points /better rewards.

My own example: We've long used Discover as our main card -- it gives us 2% back in rewards + 5% on certain rotating categories. On the other hand, our Royal Caribbean VISA gives 1% on most things (and 2% on Royal Caribbean purchases). Sure, Royal Caribbean points are very nice ... but it makes more sense financially grab the larger percentage from Discover. Even if I just use those points for groceries, I'm saving money; I can then put the money I would've spent on groceries towards vacations.

We have traveled a lot on our points from our Delta SkyMiles card. There is an annual fee, but because we almost exclusively fly Delta, it has worked out well for us. The annual companion fare perk basically pays for the fee in our case.

Of course, we get the benefits we do because it is our primary card. We do typically pay it off every month or rarely, we may carry balances from large purchases only (our new heat pump, our roof repair, etc). We still strive to pay them as quickly as possible.

It would not be worth it as our backup card. But as our primary, we get nearly all of our travel paid for, and we have medallion status for waived bag check fees, and occasional seat upgrades.

Last edited:
If you plan on traveling internationally, definitely choose one with 0% foreign transaction fees. I have a Capital One Quicksilver (no annual fees, 1.5% cash back, 0% foreign transaction fees) that I use for all international travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter