Best beaches prior to Orlando?

pigletgirl

Mama to 4 Disney loving kids!
Next summer/fall, my mama, daughter and I would like to spend a few days at the beach prior to Disney World. I have been researching both Tampa area's as well as Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area. My mama had suggested even flying into Ft. Lauderdale and driving from there. (It looks to be a 3 hour trip?)...

There are lots of options out there. Just wanted any input that was out there... We have almost a year to think on this but I do like to plan! :thumbsup2

Thanks a million!

Next summer/fall, my mama, daughter and I would like to spend a few days at the beach prior to Disney World. I have been researching both Tampa area's as well as Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area. My mama had suggested even flying into Ft. Lauderdale and driving from there. (It looks to be a 3 hour trip?)...

There are lots of options out there. Just wanted any input that was out there... We have almost a year to think on this but I do like to plan! :thumbsup2

Thanks a million!

We almost always fly in or out of Tampa so we can spend some beach time, and go to Orlando before or after. I prefer the beach AFTER Orlando so we can relax after going to all th eparks, which is not always relaxing. :goodvibes Our favorites are Treasure Island, St Pete, Anna Maria Island, Clearwater, and Indian Rocks. Of those Indian Rocks is probably the least crowded and has no life guards either. It is also less expensive if you want a condo on the beach through VRBO, which is what we always do. St Pete and Treasure Island are probably our favorite day trip beaches.

The beaches on the Atlantic are nice we prefer the gulf coast ones by a long shot.

OP the distance to Clearwater Beach isn't much more of a drive than Coco. Clearwater's beach is wide and the sand is soft & white and it's just short distance from TPA.

T - 2 weeks for us:goodvibes

We almost always fly in or out of Tampa so we can spend some beach time, and go to Orlando before or after. I prefer the beach AFTER Orlando so we can relax after going to all th eparks, which is not always relaxing. :goodvibes Our favorites are Treasure Island, St Pete, Anna Maria Island, Clearwater, and Indian Rocks. Of those Indian Rocks is probably the least crowded and has no life guards either. It is also less expensive if you want a condo on the beach through VRBO, which is what we always do. St Pete and Treasure Island are probably our favorite day trip beaches. The beaches on the Atlantic are nice we prefer the gulf coast ones by a long shot.
I seem to be more drawn to the gulf side, but I am not too familiar with Florida beaches themselves. Just trying to figure some things out!
OP the distance to Clearwater Beach isn't much more of a drive than Coco. Clearwater's beach is wide and the sand is soft & white and it's just short distance from TPA. T - 2 weeks for us:goodvibes
It is cheaper for us to fly into Tampa.

Lots to think about.

I grew up in Florida, and my grandparents lived in New Smyrna Beach.
So I was at the beach a lot as a kid.

Having said that, I would MUCH rather go to a Gulf Coast beach than an East Coast beach any day!!!

There really is no comparison between the two.
As much as I love where I spent my time, the beaches themselves are much dirtier than on the Gulf.
The trash and yuck all flow in and out of the Atlantic waters and up onto the East Coast beaches.
Waters are brownish, rather than pretty greens and blues like the Gulf.
The sand looks dirty, rather than beautiful white sand like you love to see in pictures.

Since the drive is about equal, I would definitely recommend the Gulf Coast.

I've been going to Clearwater Beach for the past decade....a lot has changed as far as construction but it's still a gorgeous beach. Great sunsets every night, and Pier 60 is a ton of fun.

We plan to stay at Daytona Hampton Inn Beachfront. They have wonderful reviews. Also a nice splash pad for kiddos.

I grew up in Florida, and my grandparents lived in New Smyrna Beach.
So I was at the beach a lot as a kid.

Having said that, I would MUCH rather go to a Gulf Coast beach than an East Coast beach any day!!!

There really is no comparison between the two.
As much as I love where I spent my time, the beaches themselves are much dirtier than on the Gulf.
The trash and yuck all flow in and out of the Atlantic waters and up onto the East Coast beaches.
Waters are brownish, rather than pretty greens and blues like the Gulf.
The sand looks dirty, rather than beautiful white sand like you love to see in pictures.

Since the drive is about equal, I would definitely recommend the Gulf Coast.
I definitely noticed that from photos and it seems as like any beach on the gulf is nicer than those on the Atlantic side. We've checked out resorts on St. Pete beach and Clearwater beach.I think if we were to go to those, we would want to fly into Tampa to cut down our travel time in the car. If we weren't bringing DD we would just suck it up and do the drive.

I've been going to Clearwater Beach for the past decade....a lot has changed as far as construction but it's still a gorgeous beach. Great sunsets every night, and Pier 60 is a ton of fun.
It does look fun and it's also beautiful!

We plan to stay at Daytona Hampton Inn Beachfront. They have wonderful reviews. Also a nice splash pad for kiddos.
I did see that too. It does seem like a nice place to stay. It's also closer to Orlando.

Hmm... I cannot decide what we want to do!

:beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter