Best African food?

Cavy

Earning My Ears
My DH and I will be at WDW in three weeks. He let me choose all the TS meals, but he said the only thing he wanted to try was African food. Right now we have reservations for Tusker House, but now I'm second guessing myself. Is Boma any more authentic? Or is there an even better option we haven't considered?

(We're on DDP. I originally chose Tusker cause one menu said they have baba ganoush, which I love. Does anyone know if this is the case?)

Jiko is probably your best best for a wide variety of African-inspired flavors, but if that's not an option, I'd definitely swap Tusker House for Boma. They share a few similar offerings, but TH offers much more basic items because of its location in the parks.

I don't recall baba ganoush at either, though.

I've heard Sanaa is very good also.

Sanaa is fantastic and my personal favorite of the bunch, but the menu has much more emphasis on Indian flavors so I didn't think it would fit the OP's needs. But I soooooo recommend it! :thumbsup2

For African inspired dishes, I would definitely select Boma. I do like Sanaa better but it is Indian inspired. Jiko has some good appetizers but I think their entrees are fairly generic. Tusker House is decent enough but Boma has a better selection and offers a bit more pleasant dining experience with the decor and buffet setup.

Boma for sure. The chefs there are from Africa and love to discuss the dishes with you and tell you about the spices they use. The soups are the best ever, and I don't usually eat soup. We always eat there when on the dining plan. Unfortunatly lately the price has gone up too much if not on the dining plan unless you are a big eater.

I've heard Sanaa is very good also.

1) We think Sanaa is better than Boma or Jiko.
2) So do newspaper critics.

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (rev 10/9/12)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on savannah)

NOTE1: Sanaa has good regional African food. Americanized, but
definitely more adventurous than other eateries. The menu is
shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list average,
but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added
benefit is viewing animals on the Savannah during the meal (for
daylight hours). There's eight savannah window tables and six
more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face
sandwich; for dinner, try the beef and lamb. Don't miss out on
the Banana Kulfi Sundae. Get the salad sampler with three of the
salads that can feed two people. Be aware that items labeled as
"Durban" are highly spiced, and best washed down with cold milk!
It is out-of-the-way, but worth the drive. This is only one of the
five sit-down eateries we patronize at WDW. In our opinion, and
other respected reviewers, Sanaa is better than Jiko or Boma.

NOTE2: We prefer the lunch over the dinner.
. . . the fare is a little lighter
. . . the price is better
. . . the appys and salads are the same
. . . the lower quantity of people eating
. . . the ability to see animals on the savannah

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies! I talked it over with the husband and we decided to try both Boma and Sanaa because the reviews looked so good! He's excited about trying the African, and I'm excited to try both! I'm not sure how I missed Sanaa when I was first looking through restaurants, though.

With that decision made, I think we're finally all set with all our reservations! :woohoo:

Jiko is probably your best best for a wide variety of African-inspired flavors, but if that's not an option, I'd definitely swap Tusker House for Boma. They share a few similar offerings, but TH offers much more basic items because of its location in the parks.

I don't recall baba ganoush at either, though.

i've seen baba ghanouj at boma (not sure if it's an every day item). i vote for boma on wednesday if possible as i love the spicy ribs on wednesdays...

i've seen baba ghanouj at boma (not sure if it's an every day item). i vote for boma on wednesday if possible as i love the spicy ribs on wednesdays...

Ooh, I'll keep my fingers crossed--that would be ideal!

Jiko's gonna be your best bet with the autenticity, but it will also be the most expensive. If you want autenticity at Tusker House, make sure it's lunch or dinner.

However Im going to have to reccommend Boma, buffet, lots of awesomw food, and zebra domes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter