• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beauty & The Beast 30th Anniversary Special

SorcererHeidi

Sorcerer please cast forever love spell for me
Just started watching a little bit of the above, will enjoy the rest of it later. I have to say though - once I got adjusted to the oddness/changing of the "sets"/backgrounds (like outside, at the CA Studios), I'm VERY impressed, and LOVING it!

Haven't even watched far enough to see a lot of the characters yet, but the vocal talent so far (always knew I liked H.E.R, but even MORE impressed with her now!!!) is off the chain!! The costuming is also fabulous, at least to me, although I'm no fashionista. :)

ETA: Just watched Gaston's big number, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" That gentleman, who I had not heard of before this, was FANTASTIC (and handsome, and what a VOICE, and MOVES!!!).

It's giving me wonderful memories of having been lucky enough to have seen this on Broadway quite a few times, the show at Hollywood Studios, as well as belting out the soundtrack in the privacy of my own home MANY times. :)

If you've seen any/all of it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I can't wait to see the rest of it!

Last edited:
I was disappointed. The only character who was close to living up to the original, and who I thought was just as good as the original, was Gaston (and the choir and all his set pieces). Groban was okay for the singing, but miscast for everything else, and everyone else ranged from not good to disastrously bad. And the ending 10 minutes - hooo boy. If you wanted to be convinced the 2 leads did not want to share a stage, just watch how they did that ending.

I was disappointed. The only character who was close to living up to the original, and who I thought was just as good as the original, was Gaston (and the choir and all his set pieces). Groban was okay for the singing, but miscast for everything else, and everyone else ranged from not good to disastrously bad. And the ending 10 minutes - hooo boy. If you wanted to be convinced the 2 leads did not want to share a stage, just watch how they did that ending.
Wow - haven't seen Josh Groban yet, and not anywhere near the end - thanks for the "heads up", and sorry you were disappointed. Hope the last 10 minutes it doesn't ruin it for me, I'm SO enjoying it so far!!! I just edited my original post about the Gaston performer, who was definitely "all that" for me!!

Thanx for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:
I liked it far better than the 2017 remake. Gaston was a pleasant surprise.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I just finished it last night, and enjoyed it SO much, especially the memories it brought to mind. The only one (slight) drawback I found was the weird, "plasticy" look of the Beast costume Josh Groban wore. I know they were trying to do a "Lion King" or Finding Nemo show-type affect with seeing the actor inside the costume, bur didn't feel it was necessary, or had a positive effect, in this case. In the brief appearances of him like that, I never took my mind, or eyes, off of him "inside" the Beast, as you inevitably do with the longer appearances in those other shows. So for me, it detracted from the experience. And I thought the costume could have been MUCH better done, and not so plastic, and (to me) Transformer-looking.

But - like I said - it DEFINITELY impressed me, made me happy, and costuming (with that exception) and talent were off the chain!!

Last edited:

I really liked it. I think people were confused to what the special was, it is a tribute for the 30th anniversary of the movie.

I had mixed feelings about it, watched it last night. I get it was a tribute but the transitions from the animated version to the live version got to me. I'm one of those continuity nerds, I'm picky about it in my books and in my movies. If a person is carrying a red purse in one scene and very next it's black it knocks me off. In the animated version (which was new and had great voice actors) they stuck close to the original, then swapped to live and nothing matched. Even little things like in one scene Belle is looking at the ripped painting of the beast and notices the blue eyes, which is important to the plot. Josh Groban has brown eyes. I might have been o.k. if they had just stuck to the live action and not mixed the two. There were different voice actors then live action actors and that threw me off. The whole thing just had too much going on. Disney knows how to do animation and knows how to do live action and heaven knows they can put on a good stage show better than most. I don't understand why they didn't pull from the hundreds of people they have who know these parts and know how to act them. It's all well and fine to get popular singers but let's face it, most of them can't act (need I point you to the horrible live version of Sound of Music?). Most music for musicals is not written for great singers. And what the heck was that guitar solo? I know H.E.R is an incredible guitar player but I don't think it fit in.

I had mixed feelings about it, watched it last night. I get it was a tribute but the transitions from the animated version to the live version got to me. I'm one of those continuity nerds, I'm picky about it in my books and in my movies. If a person is carrying a red purse in one scene and very next it's black it knocks me off. In the animated version (which was new and had great voice actors) they stuck close to the original, then swapped to live and nothing matched. Even little things like in one scene Belle is looking at the ripped painting of the beast and notices the blue eyes, which is important to the plot. Josh Groban has brown eyes. I might have been o.k. if they had just stuck to the live action and not mixed the two. There were different voice actors then live action actors and that threw me off. The whole thing just had too much going on. Disney knows how to do animation and knows how to do live action and heaven knows they can put on a good stage show better than most. I don't understand why they didn't pull from the hundreds of people they have who know these parts and know how to act them. It's all well and fine to get popular singers but let's face it, most of them can't act (need I point you to the horrible live version of Sound of Music?). Most music for musicals is not written for great singers. And what the heck was that guitar solo? I know H.E.R is an incredible guitar player but I don't think it fit in.
Thanx for sharing your thoughts. I agree - usually the mix/cutting of live action and animation really bothers me, and I say why it didn't in this case. I also totally get the "continuity of details" thing. I actually stopped commenting on this point to my friends in the past, it annoyed them. LOL

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter