Beach Club Fish Smell <I asked on Dining & few/uncertain answers so thought i would try here>

They must be fishermen.
It doesn't smell like fish when I go to Red Lobster; I don't understand why WDW cant get rid of this offensive odor in the BC lobby.

I’m a lawyer and I like the smell of the lobby. :) I just purchased a candle from spireside that smells just like the BC lobby and it does not smell like fish, I guarantee. I’ve never smelled the seafood from Cape May outside that hallway in front of the restaurant.

I’m a lawyer and I like the smell of the lobby. :) I just purchased a candle from spireside that smells just like the BC lobby and it does not smell like fish, I guarantee. I’ve never smelled the seafood from Cape May outside that hallway in front of the restaurant.

I completely agree. In all my stays at the BC, and by my signature there’s been plenty, i can say the lobby does not smell like fish! Will you smell seafood right around the restaurant at dinner? Yes, but nothing more than you would expect to find at any other seafood restaurant. Oh and BTW @lbv7 ... not sure what Red Lobster you frequent but I can assure you that ALL restaurants that serve seafood primarily DO in fact smell like seafood/fish! It’s what you would expect when dining at a seafood restaurant and coming from New England, I would know!

I completely agree. In all my stays at the BC, and by my signature there’s been plenty, i can say the lobby does not smell like fish! Will you smell seafood right around the restaurant at dinner? Yes, but nothing more than you would expect to find at any other seafood restaurant. Oh and BTW @lbv7 ... not sure what Red Lobster you frequent but I can assure you that ALL restaurants that serve seafood primarily DO in fact smell like seafood/fish! It’s what you would expect when dining at a seafood restaurant and coming from New England, I would know!
I agree as well - have stayed at BC at least a dozen times and I have never noticed the smell walking through any part of the lobby, including starting at the Ariel's entrance. Even if there were a smell, I'm not sure why this would preclude anyone from staying there - you don't really need to spend any time in the lobby at all - a few seconds to walk to the elevators, or you could go through the side entrance nearest Epcot and avoid the lobby altogether.

Thank you all! And for those that are saying the smell is around dinner time, we've dined at B&C from early afternoons to mid-afternoons and the fish smell has always been very noticeable. I was shocked when DD said she wanted to stay there and even more so when DH agreed, but being I always wanted to stay there myself, I didn't complain. :)

We have only been to Beach Club during lunch time, when Cape May is closed, so we have never experienced this. Because we've never noticed this, even when walking past a closed Cape May, I'm guessing its only strong when dinner is being served and it doesn't linger. I also know that Beach Club has the same commercial scent system that the other resorts have that pumps a fragrance into the lobby, so this is what we usually smell - which is pleasant!

I've stayed at BC twice and YC once. My daughter loathes the taste and smell of seafood and she wasn't fond of the smell right outside the restaurant, right at dinner, but it isn't an unpleasant smell at all for people without an aversion. It is also localized, with the scent machines in full effect everywhere else. The smell of the lobby as a whole is so heavenly that I repeatedly try to replicate it home. I note that my daughter wouldn't stay anywhere else if given a choice :)

How odd - we've stayed several times and I've never noticed the smell. And I would notice it - I'm allergic to seafood and even the smell makes me want to hurl.

We've stayed at BC and BCV many, many times. Like most others I have never smelled it in the lobby only along the corridor that surrounds the restaurant and only while dinner is being served. I don't remember the odor being obvious until maybe 5 years ago or so? I actually wonder if it is purposely "piped" there for lack of the proper term.

Nothing like that over by Ale and Compass.

What does a lawyer have to do with this discussion, unless you believe that lawyers have a keener sense of smell then everyone else.

They must be fishermen.
It doesn't smell like fish when I go to Red Lobster; I don't understand why WDW cant get rid of this offensive odor in the BC lobby.

What does a lawyer have to do with this discussion, unless you believe that lawyers have a keener sense of smell then everyone else.

Re-read your own comment there, sport. I’ve quoted it above for your convenience. Lawyer, not fisherman, who enjoys the scent of the BC lobby.

Last edited:
I have stayed at BC or YC at least 10 times. It definitely smells fishy around Cape May in late afternoon or evening. I am not excessively bothered by it (though we don’t like Cape May much, the seafood tastes about as fresh as it smells), but it is very dominant. The rest of the time the lobby has that divine Aloe and Green Clover scent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter