"Bargains" that turned out to be a waste of money

englishteacha

Have courage and be kind.
We just finished up our yard sale and it got me thinking about things I've bought that were "bargains" that turned out to be a waste of money. For instance, back in May we bought a $28 screen house at Family Dollar. We had it up for 4 days in the backyard before a thunderstorm wrecked it. (all the poles broke) The screens are still OK, so I hope to repurpose them at a later date for our EZ up canopy. (if I can, then I suppose it's still a bargain, of sorts, because the screen set for the EZ up is around $40)

We have tons of outdoor family events to attend each summer, so when Rite Aid had their Lawn Canopy on sale, and I had a coupon and some Plus UP rewards, I got one, figuring for $16, I couldn't really go wrong. We set it up for the yard sale Friday night, kept us nice and dry during yesterday's rain, and then after supper we had a horrible storm (thunder, hail, 2" of rain in 30 mins.) that wrecked it-all the plastic brackets holding the poles broke. So we got one day's use out of it. Not such a bargain after all, I guess. (Though, with the parts from the cheap screen house, I was able to piece it together so if we're really desperate for a canopy frame, we could use it...with a LOT of duct tape to hold it together, and throw a tarp over the top!)

What have you bought that seemed like a bargain and then turned out not to be?

We had serve thunderstorms take out 100 year of trees yesterday. I don't too much nothing against 60 mph winds up. Just be thankful that all took out.

One of my favorite saying is, "Just because something is cheap doesn't mean its a bargain and just because its a bargain doesn't mean that its cheap." :)

I'm still trying to think of a good example to add, I'll be back soon.

last summer I brought my dh and sons some short sleeve polo shirts from kohls. I was so happy because they were only 5 bucks a piece. Well after 1 wash, those suckers shrunk and faded. look absolutely horrible.

I returned to the store and exchanged them thinking I got a bad batch. Nope, 2nd batch was just as bad as the first.

I'll stick with lands ends thank you. Yeah, they cost about 15 bucks a piece but the wear beautifully.

For me it was a clearance fire pit on sale for like $30.00. I so enjoy campfires and smores at night when we visit family. I thought that was the best deal. Used it once and that was it. It was a slightly breezy night not windy by any means, but do to the design of the fire pit air moved under the logs and blew sparks everywhere and blew the flames around it was impossible to make smores. I thought we were going to burn the house down.

We had serve thunderstorms take out 100 year of trees yesterday. I don't too much nothing against 60 mph winds up. Just be thankful that all took out :confused3

For me it is cheap shoes for DD. I once got a pair of Easter shoes at Target, she wore them for 30 minutes and the backs of her feet were all cut up. Can't return them and she can't wear them anymore. I think i got $1 for them when i dropped off stuff at the resale shop. Once she tried on a pair of sandals for a cruise at Payless and she was screaming "take them off!". At least she told me they hurt before we bought them!

I get her shoes for cheap, but it has to be a good brand that comes in wide on clearance. Lands end sells wide online, I already got her 3 pairs for back to school on clearance for less than $10 each and luckily I live near a Stride Rite outlet. Also found Keens at Marshalls 50% off retail that she is wearing this summer. I just gotta look really hard for deals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter