• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ban smoking at the MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should ban people that don't wear deodorant as well.

The smell stains the air and i'm sure it's toxic if inhaled/ingested *cough* :scared1:

They could employ an armpit sniffer at the gate to make sure people have put it on (i'm sure there are some people out there with a crazy armpit fetish).

I only saw the subject and that is was 17 pages.l

I want to post my opinions without reading all the pages

my husband and I smoked for all of our adult lives. if you have watched the Mad mend series, that's how it was then everyone did.

we are both pushing 60 and have been smoke free for over 3 years now.

we have over 25 disney trips under our belts. I am so happy now to be smoke free. and I don't likebeing around smoke now, either.

however, I think it is totally unfair and unreasonable to expect smokers to try to go the wntrie day without a cigarette. we KNOW that it is an addiction. we KNOW that many smokers became addicted years ago.

it is very easy for non smokers to avoid the dsa's .
I further think that the more they limit the dsa's. the more smokers will stop trying to abide by the rules. you just make it impossible!

I remember when we were smokers. the DSA near the fountain at epcot was SO TOTALLY out of the way from everything!!!! there was NO reason to go there unless yuo wanted to smoke.. and anyone walking past the fountain was WAYS awayfrom any smoke.

so, naturally, they did away with it.

well, all of us smokers just kept using it anyway, and "playing dumb" and it was reinstated. (I don'[t know if it is still there now)

they made AK almost impossible for smokers to obey the rules. then they keep that stupid DSA by ALOHA Isle. I swear, they keep that one, just to irritate the non smokers enough to keep the pot stirring..... :rotfl:

now that I haven't had a cig. in over 3 years.. I actually can't STAND smelling cig smoke. (and I smoked for 40 years)

and that is why I don't go near the dsas and I think it would be AWFUL and UNFAIR if they did away with those, at both the parks and the resorts.

Awesome regarding you guys quiting....:thumbsup2

Thanks for the reply from an x smoker's viewpoint. Its good to get the many sides to a subject.

:wave2:

OMG!!! this is SO TRUE!! you really think they are going to risk the south american and european tourisst???? esp the SAs when we had brazillians at our resort,, ... taking our loungers at the pool, kicking soccer balls at our window at 1 am, blocking our way on the walkway, numeorous threats, etc etc. we were told "July is Latin month at disney" by a management Cm on a segway, at our resort.

and now popcorn::... your not bashing non-Americans are you??? We are house trained you know.

BTW I have bumped into a few rude Americans in my travels @ WDW as well, so being inconsiderate isn't just the MO of foreign tourists.

This made me laugh ""July is Latin month at Disney" by a management Cm on a segway, at our resort." ......as September/October is "disturbing dress up time for american adults"...December is " loud & annoying chanting in confined spaces and bus seat hogging american cheerleader month"....March - July is "rampaging unaccompanied american teens on break with no adults to be seen while screaming thru the resorts at 2 am"......so you could say that its not that bad the SA's only have one month out of the 12 is it?

But YMMV.

It's not snark. I just don't particularly care if smokers decide to not come to WDW because they can't smoke there, or decide to not bring their families because of it. Seems like a really bad reason to miss out, especially when there are other options, like a patch, gum or eCigs. As a former smoker, I just can't muster any sympathy.

My mom has actually tried both the gum and the patch. They gave her horrible nightmares. Even so she has managed to stop smoking for a while, but starts up again. I'm glad you were able to quit. That doesn't make it that simple for everyone else. You have also missed the fact that Disney doesn't care if it is an eCig--you still need to be in a DSA to use those as well.

I also think that as much sympathy as you show others, that is what you deserve in return for any situation you may be struggling with.

Sucks to be their families. Oh well.

Actually right now it doesn't suck. Disney has DSAs and I'm glad they accommodate smokers. If they didn't you would have people lighting up as they walked around the park.

You know what makes me crazy?!!! When I go into the designated smoking areas to have a cigarette and..... people are sitting their with their kids eating an ice cream or whatever and they are not smokers. Weird how that sounds right? Of course that doesn't make me crazy, i hate that people would bring their kids into the area but it doesn't drive me crazy. All this talk about how smokers are causing problems for non smokers i figured i would add in how non smokers are causing problems for smokers in the parks. I don't walk around the non smoking areas with a cigarette, so don't walk around or sit in the smoking areas without a cigarette. Of course its silly to say!! But thats my point, I dont care what any smoker or non smoker does as long as they are following policy. I hate that i have to walk past that stupid popcorn stand on my way out of MK, the smell is soooo goood. It makes me have to have some, if i have some its bad for my health. I know i shouldnt have any of the popcorn, but that smell that is over powering the air is making me "need" it. Guess what i do.... i walk around it! Imagine that!:):wave2:

It's not snark. I just don't particularly care if smokers decide to not come to WDW because they can't smoke there, or decide to not bring their families because of it. Seems like a really bad reason to miss out, especially when there are other options, like a patch, gum or eCigs. As a former smoker, I just can't muster any sympathy.
And, again, the entire point of my response to which you replied so flippantly was to refute numbers. Nothing at all to do with sympathy.

This is a funny topic. I quit smoking on my most recent trip(feb). I had wanted to quit for some time but it was not convenient. The reason I stopped on this trip is because of how difficult it is to find a smoking area at the parks and the hotels. I thought since wdw makes it such a challenge to smoke it would be a good time to quit. The funny part is that everytime I looked up I found a smoking area b

I also think that as much sympathy as you show others, that is what you deserve in return for any situation you may be struggling with.

I don't expect sympathy for things I brought upon myself or things that are within my own control.

You have also missed the fact that Disney doesn't care if it is an eCig--you still need to be in a DSA to use those as well.

That's fine. At least there's no second hand smoke or allergens to worry about.

And, again, the entire point of my response to which you replied so flippantly was to refute numbers. Nothing at all to do with sympathy.

No, I got it. I just don't believe that people will let something like that deter them from a trip they really want to take when there are solutions out there.

A business would like to (at least attempt) to satisfy all their customers. Smokers and non-smokers.

Disney wants guests to spend their entire vacation on site. WDW is (or at least was) larger then Manhattan. A policy of non-smoking anywhere on property would not be friendly to smokers. It would lead to smokers doing "terrible" things. Some would sneak a smoke somewhere on property. Some would do something even worse. They'd leave Disney property to smoke. While off property they might spend $$$. Have a meal. Buy stuff.

Disney has already banned smoking in the resorts and in the parks (except for designated areas). Guests who want to smoke need to go to some very limited areas. Maybe the policy could be tweaked. Maybe some of the smoking areas could be relocate a short distance.

I am a smoker and my boyfriend is not. My 16 old daughter hates smoke. They sit with me if they choose to in the smoking section when I stop. I have to say that there are a few spots that are located poorly (the one behind the castle). But they have been moving them more out of the way. I have been going to Disney since 2006 and each time I go back and think I know where all the spots are then find out they moved at least one.

I respect the non-smokers and do not say anything disrespectful when they run past me holding the hands over their faces (my concern is they may fall from not being able to see). :)

I smoke in the areas that Disney allows. I have seen the odd person (not many) smoking outside of the designated areas.

I pay the same price as everyone and have the right to smoke. Some mention about health issues? How did you get to the parks? Cars cause health issues, as well as air planes, trains etc. The smell of diesel fuel bothers me, the smell of burning oil because they didn't change before the Disney vacay. I am not creating a section about banning all those disturbing smells.

You may not like smokers but you don't have to disrespect us. Especially when we follow the rules and locations that Disney has set up.

Yes but what you say is logical and reasonable. I'm not sure that kind of thinking has any place in this thread ;-)

A business would like to (at least attempt) to satisfy all their customers. Smokers and non-smokers.

Disney wants guests to spend their entire vacation on site. WDW is (or at least was) larger then Manhattan. A policy of non-smoking anywhere on property would not be friendly to smokers. It would lead to smokers doing "terrible" things. Some would sneak a smoke somewhere on property. Some would do something even worse. They'd leave Disney property to smoke. While off property they might spend $$$. Have a meal. Buy stuff.

Disney has already banned smoking in the resorts and in the parks (except for designated areas). Guests who want to smoke need to go to some very limited areas. Maybe the policy could be tweaked. Maybe some of the smoking areas could be relocate a short distance.

How did you get to the parks? Cars cause health issues, as well as air planes, trains etc.

The difference is that you can't ride a cigarette to the park.

The smell of diesel fuel bothers me, the smell of burning oil because they didn't change before the Disney vacay. I am not creating a section about banning all those disturbing smells.

You could. I mean, it's not a very compelling argument, but no one is stopping you. Although, I would be on board with getting rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway. Those carts stink up the joint something fierce.

You may not like smokers but you don't have to disrespect us. Especially when we follow the rules and locations that Disney has set up.

That's why we want Disney to change the rules. It's not about respect. Do what you want; I just don't want to smell it.

It's 2014... I can't believe people still smoke.

It's 2014... I can't believe people are still so judgmental.

In Indiana, you can't even smoke within 8 ft of a business's entrance!

There isn't a DSA within eight feet of the entrance at Walt Disney World. Based on its location in Central Florida, it's not subject to Indiana laws.

Silock said:
That's why we want Disney to change the rules. It's not about respect. Do what you want; I just don't want to smell it.

If you want Disney to change the rules, tell Disney. And get a park map every day will show you the few DSAs in each park. eta: To make it simple to avoid those few areas.

One of the most controversial, forbidden, and hottest topics on the DISboards. Posted in the rumors section not as a rumor but purely as supposition and in the interest of starting a fight. There was no "rumor" here. Nothing. It wasn't even disguised as a lie about a rumor.

What's most amazing to me is that this thread has been allowed to continue when most smoking threads are quickly squashed, at least in the sections I frequent (DVC). Actually, I thought they were forbidden throughout the entire board but I'm obviously mistaken.

Maybe the OP could just rally for president of P&R so they could do what they want to do, and completely destroy WDW all in one sweeping blow.

Anybody else notice this is a brand new user? I'd bet a thousand bucks they post under another alias also. Also against DIS rules. This reeks of "troll." I can't believe this hasn't been brought up but maybe it has. I won't waste my time reading the entire 18 pages of mostly garbage.

Not even close to the same issue. None of those things affect my children's health like smoking does. Smoking is a health hazard to everyone around the smoker.

All of the other things are just annoyances, unless the drunk gets behind the wheel of a car

Nope, a HS student in PA recently had an allergic reaction to Axe Body Spray that is "potentially life threatening". So apparently the cologne comment was not that far off the mark. I would assume that you now agree that all colognes/perfumes should be totally banned?

If you want Disney to change the rules, tell Disney. And get a park map every day will show you the few DSAs in each park. eta: To make it simple to avoid those few areas.

Sure, but it's not always possible to avoid, like Aloha Isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter