Bama Ed Is Heading To Gulf State Park In November 2016

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
One week from tonight, my friends, I will be at Gulf State Park in the lovely beach town of Gulf Shores.

Yes, I'm coming in on a Thursday night since DW has Friday off for Veteran's Day and I have vacation to burn. I got one or two plans but other than dining at a different establishment daily, riding bikes and soaking up the sunshine, and following the outcome of the Bama-Miss State game, I have no firm plans.

Gonna roll the camper out this weekend to prep it. More updates to come. Thanks for Tiggerdad for his TR last month at Gulf. He has inspired me.

Bama Ed

Gulf%20State%20Park%20%20Beach%202.jpg

I got one or two plans but other than dining at a different establishment daily, riding bikes and soaking up the sunshine,
Sounds like my kind of vacation. Thanks for letting us tag along.

j

Glad to be following along Ed. Just wait til you get to see the new trails and bridges they have put in.

Have fun man!

Beside the three day weekend at the beach, there is another reason to go to Gulf Shores on this particular weekend.

The 2nd weekend of November is historically when my favorite neighborhood 5k run takes place. The Foley Oyster Run is a great community run sponsored by the local Rotary Club and this year is their 24th year for the run. http://www.foleyrotary.org/?page_id=492 Foley is about 10 miles north of the beach/Gulf Shores.

It is everything a great local run should be. Beautiful setting near "downtown" Foley (all 4 square blocks of it) under the big oak trees not anywhere near Tiggerdad's beloved Tanger Outlet Shopping stores. They make a big deal about all the kids who complete the 1 mile fun run at the awards ceremony. Speaking of which, it is fantastic. Where else can you run a 5k and then settle into the post-race party with a kegger, fresh shucked oysters thanks to one of the race sponsors (did I mention it was local), more pizza than you can eat, some gumbo or jambalaya plus the lame fruit and bagels-all by 10am? Lots of folks (including us) bring their folding bag chairs and plop down in front of the awards table to enjoy the awards, the making over the kids, and the laughs/cheers/comments from the crowd when an unlikely winner is called forward.

I have quite the collection of takeaways from the races past-t shirts, beer glasses, soup mugs, posters, and even a very rare trophy for placing in my age group (if garneska reads this, I was 3rd in my group back in 2001). I've done this race probably 8-10 times because sometimes the date falls on the Bama - LSU game and when the game is in Title Town, I'm at the game. 2001 is the earliest souvenir I have but I think I went once or twice when I was fat and slow before that (like now). And there were times I just couldn't make it down. However, years ago I just stumbled on the race when I went down once for the 3-day weekend.

Being Veteran's Day weekend, on the 11th (which is sometimes race day) there is the local parade with local vets, Boy Scouts and Girl Scout groups, the Foley HS Marching Band, and other civic organizations in the parade. The awards ceremony, which is normally underway when the parade passes/if it passes that day always stops as they pass and we pay our respects and resume after they are gone.

The weather is usually great and the forecast for next week is right on the averages with highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s. Right now it's showing a little chance of rain Friday or Friday night some time but no biggie. I'm sure there is lots of sun in the forecast.

DW wants to find a restaurant with shrimp and grits which we should be able to do.

Anyway, the Foley Oyster Run is one of the two or three things on the schedule for the weekend. I promise a good time will be had by all.

Bama Ed

PS - all finishers get thrown into a drawing for door prizes. The Grand Prize is a free weekend at the beach in a free condo every year. Never won that. We did, one year, win a free set of swim lessons from the local YMCA which my Dear Son #1, the winner, found a local girl to give it to since she could actually use it. But here's hoping I win the condo trip this year!

Last edited:

Some stuff from past years:

Do you think the fact that there are so many beer glasses means anything?

Bama Ed

Have a safe trip Ed. Good luck on the Oyster Run and getting another beer glass. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Dangit!

Where are the shot glasses? Coffee and beer just slow me down.

Ed very glad to see that time will be dedicated to remember and honor those who serve and and sacrifice for this nation
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

So a question for tiggerdad although anyone else can chime in if you know the answer...

I am leaving the satellite dish and tv at home next weekend so we can have more "us" time :rolleyes1 but wanted to be able to follow the SEC night games on the radio. LSU vs Arkie I figure I can pick up on AM870 WWL out of NOLA to follow that game. But if I want to flip over and listen to Ole Miss and aTm, what radio station blowtorch would be good to listen to the OM broadcast? I checked the OM radio page but my knowledge of Mississippi geography is weak. I've heard of the towns listed but don't know where many are. Is there a Biloxi station that carries OM? What radio station do you think I could pick up carrying the OM radio game at night?

Bama Ed

PS - trying to bring less "stuff" on this trip.

PPS - if the aTm broadcast is on a radio blowtorch I might pick up at night in Gulf Shores, I'll try those too if anyone has suggestions.

I suggest making friends with a 6 pack with someone that has a satellite dish. :)

Ed, I use the TuneIn Radio app on my phone and plug it into my USB on my camper radio piping the audio outside. Using that app you can select which team and it plays the audio directly from Leer Field sports so you get that team's radio announcer.

I did this in October and used it to listen to the Alabama vs Arkansas game.

Otherwise check the radio listings for Pasgagula but I think 103.1 out of Ocean Springs is your closest.

I would use the app as you can get any of the teams. Only thing, it's about 30-60 seconds delayed from real time.

I'll try to pick up the Ocean Springs station. Thanks! Ed

Congrats ed on that age group finish . Actually sounds like a great race and I like oysters.

Can't wait to follow along on the trip report. I still think we are going to try hard to go out for the dis meet.

Well DW and I are at Gulf State Park tonight. Got in about 630pm and set up in Kris and Bert's old neighborhood - just a few doors before them and across the street. The sky was crisp and blue at sunset with only a few wispy high white clouds. Weather looks good for the weekend with highs in the mid 70s and lows around 50. Although with the time change, the sun sets just before 5pm which takes some adjusting to.

On the way down I stopped at the first interstate exit in Baldwin County (where Gulf Shores is) just as it was getting dark and patronized Alabama's first legal winery, Perdido Vineyards. It's something of a tradition to stop, sample (same flavors as last time I stopped but nevertheless :drinking1), utter sophisticated phrases like "I detect a hint of oak and truffles" and thankfully, no one has to expectorate. In the hot south, the muscadine grape is the healthy one that grows and so traditionally you can have one of three types of muscadine wine to choose from (and juice for the kiddos). Very muscadiney sweet, a little sweet, or no muscadine flavor at all (dry). I chose to lay in several of the middle choice in my cellar for the winter months.

We tried out a new restaurant for dinner and I have to say I LOVE coming to Gulf Shores in the off-season on a weeknight. Our restaurant, The Diner, was nearly empty as were most of the usual favorites we drove past. The Diner is right near the curve where Canal Road coming from Orange Beach turns hard south into Gulf Shores. I had a Reuben which was delicious and Lisa had the New Orleans BBQ shrimp which was artfully served on a scoop of homemade smashed potatoes. It was good and I noted that they serve breakfast too (Sunday morning perhaps?).

More updates tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
As I said way back in the May 2016 Gulf Shores trip report, I'm a morning guy. When I'm down here I get up to watch the sunrise - it's worth it.

Here is a panarama shot from just a few minutes ago:

A closer up photo of the reflection of the clouds off Middle Lake looking toward the beach:

And the high point of the morning (birds singing etc.):

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter