"Bad Sign: Shoppers use gift cards for groceries"

January is always slow, I work in a restaurant and I keep track of my tips every day. I made more this year than last year. Maybe people are going out to eat instead of buying "stuff" at Walmart.:rotfl2:

I can tell you that isn't true across the country. I have a lot of friends in different restaurants, and we're all coming in under expected sales. Not by a lot ... but the sales aren't there. I wish we could hit our projected sales, maybe my bosses wouldn't be so grumpy!

Thanks for the article OP. I def didn't spend the giftcards I recieved for myself this year ... what I did buy was either gas from walmart or groceries. Last year, I know I bought a thing or two for myself ... but this year, not so much. When there isn't enough money to spread around, you have to find new ways to make it.

Our church buys gift cards with our Christmas show procedes now instead of doing the food baskets, it allows people to buy what they really want food wise. This is in addition to the food pantry we have. I thought at first maybe they wouldn't be used for food. We started doing this when Kroger was groceries only and now it's turned "super" and sells everything.

Just wanted to say that I post these articles to launch discussions. And because I'm interested in what people here around the country are seeing. Clearly, I'm coming at you all with a more bearish (negative) view of the economy. And I could be wrong, but I don't think I am ;).

I appreciate everyone's views.....and I think anecdotal examples are important.

While I agree that retail sales are down dramatically this year over last year, I also have to wonder if all the articles reminding people not to forget about their gift cards are finally sinking in. I don't think that would account for all the shift in what is being bought, but I know I go to the grocery side of Wal-Mart a heck of a lot more often than the gadgets side. Statistically, I am more apt to use a gift card for groceries.

I looked up to see a Wal-Mart commercial for the $4 prescriptions while writing this. Quite a change from last year's positioning commercials about Wal-Mart having the latest gadgets for the best price. I remember that Wal-Mart wanted everyone to buy their iPods for their kids from them... You know, the iPods that are little paper pictures stuck on a mount behind glass cases at their stores? :rotfl:

See, what Wally-World *wants* you to do with that baby-gift gift card is to come in and use it buy a couple of cute outfits or a toy at the same time that you were coming in anyway to buy diapers/formula with your own money. In good times people use a gift card for a splurge item that they wouldn't otherwise spend their money on, *in addition to* the necessities that they would still buy with their own money. In bad times they spend the gift card *instead of* their own money.

Also, BTW, though it isn't related to this, IME, WalMart is the one major retailer that universally and consistently refuses to participate in any kind of "scrip" fund-raising programs for schools. You're welcome to set up a cookie table near the front door, or wash cars in the far corner of the parking lot, but they won't take a slice out of revenue for fund-raisers.

How does that account for some grocery stores, though, that use gift card programs for school fundraisers? Our school gives out giftcards (with zero balances :lmao: ), that we all refill over and over to use at Krogers for groceries or gas. Parents have them, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.....there is no limit to the number of gift cards a school can link to. It's a great little fundraiser, and has no bearing on any families' financial need.

I agree with you, Kari! My childrens' school has this program and Walmart has just been added to the gift card list. Are they going to be able to track which cards are for "gifts" and which are part of the SCRIP program? My entire family uses these cards for everything. It is a wonderful moneymaker for the school.:banana:

Proving your point, OP, it is very common for churches to purchase gift card in stead of food baskets for needy families. Also, I know many families who buy gift cards as holiday gifts for the elderly who are on a fixed income, to purchase groceries and necessities. Maybe this is not new, but now someone is just monitoring on what the cards are being spent.:confused3

I think that a lot of us here on the "budget board" are pretty frugal types...and so I'm not surprised that many here would use a WalMart gift card for necessities. I think that another poster said it well though....they're probably used to seeing customers spend cash on groceries and use the gift card for something that is more of a "splurge" item.

While I have seen and heard some positive news on the economic front, mostly what I'm reading, and seeing and hearing for myself is negative.

First the positive things I've seen/heard/read.

We went to Borders a couple of weeks back, it was in January. It was positively packed. We couldn't get over it.....looked like December, and not January. Could be that a lot of people were using Borders as "the library" and not buying, but the check-out line was rather long.

Disney had a nice Q4 and Iger provided positive guidance moving forward. However, Disney is in a unique and enviable situation right now, that's tied directly to the weakness in the dollar. Many Americans who would have traveled abroad are staying home in the US this year. Count the Dvcgirl among this group. And so some of those people who will spend thousands on a vacation may end up at Disney...because it's still a good value for that group of people. They're also attracting more foreign travelers than ever thanks to the strength of the Euro. They also said that their cruise line is 85% booked for 2008. Cruising still provides a relatively inexpensive vacation for a family of four.

Number three, my husband works for a software company that designs software. One customer is Norwegian Cruiselines. One of his employees was slated to be on a ship in dry dock out in CA for a few days and then start off on a cruise and get off in Cabo.....but they got a call from NCL that the work needs to be completed in dry dock as the cabin slated for the software engineer is now sold....cruise sold out.

Now the negative. You knew I had to go there.

We live in a town in NJ....with a real downtown, shops, restaurants and the like. We try and shop/eat in town whenever we can to support local businesses and so I have developed a "first name" relationship with a lot of these shop/restaurant owners and will often ask them "how's business". I'm hearing negative things across the board...."slowest I've seen it", "really slow", "if things don't pick up soon...."

Last night we were at our favorite Irish Pub....hey, they pour a really good pint of Guinness, that's all I'm saying ;). Anyway, the owner is a really nice Irish guy and he told us he's really slow. He's offering all kinds of specials to bring people in and yet is getting hit hard with rising food/beer costs. He's really trying hard to hold his prices, but he said he won't be able to for long.

Sitting next to us was a woman who used to work for K. Hovnanian homes. Their headquarters are on the Navesink River right in our little town. They are the sixth largest home builder in the U.S and build lots of higher end homes. She said that she was just laid off and that there are floors where they have desks/cubes taking up the entire floor, and that half of those desks are now empty.

I think it's going to be tough to side step this thing. Just heard that home equity loan "cash-out re-fis" are down 50% over last year. Home equity withdrawals are responsible for a *lot* of consumer spending over the last five years in this nation. And that's going to hurt....across the board.

Maybe this is not new, but now someone is just monitoring on what the cards are being spent.:confused3

Not just now, trust me nobody monitors their sales transactions better or knows their customers more intimately than Walmart. They know *exactly* what those gift cards have been used for in the past, and they're reporting that they're seeing a different trend now. That's all that this article is reporting. I'm sure that a fair amount of Walmart shoppers *always* use their gift cards for necessities. 25% of all Walmart customers don't even have a checking account. However, they're reporting that they are seeing an *increase* in gift cards being used for necessities.

Well, it is certainly bad news for WalMart and the Credit Card companies.

Walmart makes very little money off of grocery sales because the profit margin there is so low. They try to lure people into the stores with groceries, and then they hope to get them over to clothing or electronics or other higher markup items where their are more profits.

I'm quite sure it does upset them to see people stay away from those areas.

Just wanted to say that I post these articles to launch discussions. And because I'm interested in what people here around the country are seeing. Clearly, I'm coming at you all with a more bearish (negative) view of the economy. And I could be wrong, but I don't think I am ;).

I appreciate everyone's views.....and I think anecdotal examples are important.

If you want to look for the silver lining, it can mean that at least people have the common sense to buy necessities like food in tight times before buying XBox games. That people don't have their heads so deep in the sand that they'll spend their way into foreclosure - that they are TRYING.

While it sucks for WalMart that people aren't using their gift card for cute baby clothes and instead buying diapers, it is a hopeful sign that we haven't slipped so far into lala land that we won't get ourselves out. We CAN as a nation, take a pass on the smelly candles.

My dd received a Target card for her birthday. There wasn't anything she "needed" at the moment, and I was encouraging her to put the bulk of her birthday/Christmas cash into her ING acct... which she did.:cheer2: So instead of her using the Target card, I gave her cash for it and used the card to pay for grocery items. I understand your point, but I see it as a good trend personally, that neither one of us spent it on a frivolous item. :thumbsup2

That's a completely different program, and it's not tied to how major retailers can track their gift card users.

I agree, it's a good fundraiser!!!

FWIW, I'm not talking about "buying" giftcards through your schools (is that called the scripts program). I'm talking about reloading and reusing giftcards that are tracked and have some percentage donated by the grocer supplying the card.

I don't shop at walmart, but ever since I realized how well it worked to budget for disney by just buying giftcards and spending off of those, I've been buying grocery store giftcards and budgeting that way. :)

So there's one person who didn't used to use giftcards for groceries, but now it's part of her budgeting process!

I save my Wal-Mart gift cards that I receive for Christmas and buy groceries for the villa when we are in the World. :)

I save my Wal-Mart gift cards that I receive for Christmas and buy groceries for the villa when we are in the World. :)

Don't you know how bad this is!!!!!

You are going on vacation and making it look like you are buying groceries with your gift cards!!! How do you expect them to properly track your spending!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter