Bad Cast Member Experience on Rise of the Resistance

MrBlueBird

Earning My Ears
Hello! I’ve always enjoyed reading disboards and watching The Dis over the years. Hopefully this is in the correct forum, and if not, I apologize. So my wife, child (6), and I aren’t new to WDW. We are out of state, but this was trip number 6 for us. We had an amazing time this trip, except for the very end of Hollywood Studios. I wanted to get everyone’s take on this and weigh in. So at the end of the night tonight, we rode Rise of the Resistance. We have ridden it previously and knew what to expect.

Right before the interrogation phase I whispered to my son, “If they ask you any questions, simply say, “We don’t talk to First Order scum.” Super playful and about as G-rated as you can get. Heck, General Hux even addresses you in the ride as, “Rebel scum!”. So the cast member comes around and addresses my son. My son then says in a playful voice, “We don’t talk to First Order scum. My daddy told me to say that.” Everyone laughs but then the cast member says, “You teach your child to talk like that?” We still laugh, but THEN he says in a serious voice, “That could get you kicked out of Disney property, and I’m being serious!”

I was flabbergasted. It really ruined the rest of the ride for us. We don’t think he was still in character because he addressed “Disney property”. I promise that is the story in its entirety. We couldn’t believe it. I know what is overboard and and inappropriate, and I feel we were miles from it. We can only assume that he had no idea what “scum” meant because, like I said, they use it on the ride! What do you think and what would you have done?

I think I would have taken the CMs name to guest relations. That is unacceptable. Let me guess, was this a young male with a squirrely voice waiting to hit puberty in his early 20s? It seems that anytime I have a negative interaction with a CM they always seem to fit that description. There is nothing in that interaction that would remove you from the park. Sounds like somebody got their feelings hurt and is not mature enough to deal with their emotions.

Not to detract from your situation or be a narcissist to make it about me, but true story....a few years back I was in line to meet Peter Pan. My sister asked where "Stinkerbell" is and the guy went way over the top in his character to defend his "pal Tink". He insulted us and was yelling at us. Went as far as to say he would have us removed from the park for being disrespectful. It was utterly ridiculous! A fellow CM in the area that witnessed it approached me and my sister afterwards to apologize and asked if we would like to skip the line for Peter Pan's Flight and if we wanted FPs for any attractions. She was trying to keep us from going to guest relations.

ETA: Found out about 2 weeks later that the CM Peter Pan was engaged to somebody that we know. His fiancée was in California. She (the fiancée) told our friend that he (Peter Pan) was fired for speaking to guests in a manner that was threatening and intimidating. Thought I would mention that little tidbit.

Last edited:
I had a very (eerily) similar experience - though I was prepared for it (having been on the ride once before and was REALLY blown away by it - not in a good way - that first time). I even tried to prep the kids, and I did some - but my oldest still struggled with it. Definitely took them out of the mood of having fun for a bit.

Let me guess, was this a young male with a squirrely voice waiting to hit puberty in his early 20s? It seems that anytime I have a negative interaction with a CM they always seem to fit that description. There is nothing in that interaction that would remove you from the park. Sounds like somebody got their feelings hurt and is not mature enough to deal with their emotions.

That’s uncanny! It’s like you just read off a police description. Him to a T! I’m still on property, but we aren’t going to any more parks. I don’t know if I should say something at Disney Springs or not. It was at park close and I definitely remember his name because it is the same as my son’s.

Definitely took them out of the mood of having fun for a bit.

Same! Completely took my wife and I out of the experience. It was a great day other than that. We got chosen for reserved seating at Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and rode just about everything we wanted. That one interaction soured our ending.

If you think about how many CMs you meet during a trip, to only have that one bad experience in 6 years is pretty good. With that said, what he said was completely unacceptable. Not just that it was out of character, but the unwanted parenting lesson. I probably would have smack talked him back until he scampered back to the CM lounge, but not everyone is comfortable doing that so I think saying something to guest relations is good, maybe it’s a pattern of behavior or maybe he doesn’t understand the part he’s acting.

If you think about how many CMs you meet during a trip, to only have that one bad experience in 6 years is pretty good. With that said, what he said was completely unacceptable. Not just that it was out of character, but the unwanted parenting lesson. I probably would have smack talked him back until he scampered back to the CM lounge, but not everyone is comfortable doing that so I think saying something to guest relations is good, maybe it’s a pattern of behavior or maybe he doesn’t understand the part he’s acting.

That is exactly what I was telling my wife as we were leaving the park yesterday. This one bad experience isn’t going to detract us from coming back again and again.

I forgot to mention this! My son said it so meek and playfully, one of the other guests asked what he said. Then the cast member said, “He called me First Order scum! Do you teach your child to speak like that?” It was at this point we weren’t sure if he was still in character or not, so we laughed. That’s when he made the comment about being ejected from Disney property and that he was serious. It made the whole thing super awkward and everyone got quiet.

I think I might go to guest relations on my way out. To brag about the CM at Indiana Jones and to explain our experience with the CM at Rise.

I think I might go to guest relations on my way out. To brag about the CM at Indiana Jones and to explain our experience with the CM at Rise.

Definitely do that. I didn't ask if you were still at WDW. Silly me! That's by far the best time to address this dreadful experience.

Do emphasize the fact that several other guests witnessed this incident. Disney really doesn't like an audience for such regrettable lapses from The Disney Way.

Definitely do that. I didn't ask if you were still at WDW. Silly me! That's by far the best time to address this dreadful experience.

Do emphasize the fact that several other guests witnessed this incident. Disney really doesn't like an audience for such regrettable lapses from The Disney Way.

Thank you! I’ll definitely be cordial because I know guest relations probably gets an EARful (pun intended). I’ll just lay out the facts of what happened and how it impacted our experience.

UPDATE: I went to Guest Relations at HS and spoke with an amazing CM of over 20 years. I praised the CM at Indiana Jones and she was mortified when I told her about the one at Rise. She said that was, “Completely unacceptable!”. I didn’t want anything from it, it was just eating at me last night and this morning. She gave us free Rise passes whenever we return, but once again, that wasn’t my goal. I just felt my family and I were disrespected and embarrassed. Thanks again for everyone’s input and I realize this is an isolated incident.

UPDATE: I went to Guest Relations at HS and spoke with an amazing CM of over 20 years. I praised the CM at Indiana Jones and she was mortified when I told her about the one at Rise. She said that was, “Completely unacceptable!”. I didn’t want anything from it, it was just eating at me last night and this morning. She gave us free Rise passes whenever we return, but once again, that wasn’t my goal. I just felt my family and I were disrespected and embarrassed. Thanks again for everyone’s input and I realize this is an isolated incident.
I’m glad to hear they’re still employing some 20+ year veteran CMs. I thought they’d let them all go in that weird post-apocalyptic game of thrones CM vs CM restructuring thing they did a while back.
Yay for nice people winning! 🏆

Good to know that after so many distressing changes the magic can still be found when truly needed to correct something terribly not-Disney.

Well done by both you and that CM.

That’s uncanny! It’s like you just read off a police description. Him to a T! I’m still on property, but we aren’t going to any more parks. I don’t know if I should say something at Disney Springs or not. It was at park close and I definitely remember his name because it is the same as my son’s.

:rotfl2:About the police report. Seriously though....it honestly fits the description of every single CM I have encountered where the experience was negative.

Reaching out to Guest Relations really is the best course of action. It is not about tattling on him or getting even. His comment was not only out of line, but it was an unnecessary threat and it should be addressed by his managers. He should not be making anybody feel the way he made you feel simply because he does not know how to control his emotions.

Last edited:

I am glad they were in agreement. I truly hope that more was done on their part than giving you passes. My hope is that the management team of that CM is made aware and that CM is spoke to about the unacceptable behavior and threats.

I think I would have taken the CMs name to guest relations. That is unacceptable. Let me guess, was this a young male with a squirrely voice waiting to hit puberty in his early 20s? It seems that anytime I have a negative interaction with a CM they always seem to fit that description. There is nothing in that interaction that would remove you from the park. Sounds like somebody got their feelings hurt and is not mature enough to deal with their emotions.

Not to detract from your situation or be a narcissist to make it about me, but true story....a few years back I was in line to meet Peter Pan. My sister asked where "Stinkerbell" is and the guy went way over the top in his character to defend his "pal Tink". He insulted us and was yelling at us. Went as far as to say he would have us removed from the park for being disrespectful. It was utterly ridiculous! A fellow CM in the area that witnessed it approached me and my sister afterwards to apologize and asked if we would like to skip the line for Peter Pan's Flight and if we wanted FPs for any attractions. She was trying to keep us from going to guest relations.

ETA: Found out about 2 weeks later that the CM Peter Pan was engaged to somebody that we know. His fiancée was in California. She (the fiancée) told our friend that he (Peter Pan) was fired for speaking to guests in a manner that was threatening and intimidating. Thought I would mention that little tidbit.
I stumbled across this old post by accident, kind of. I was looking up information about the attraction, trying to determine if those prone to motion sickness in our group would be okay with this attraction. Anyhow, I stumbled across your comment and it made me laugh......1,000,000,000 times yes to the part I made bold. The little boys that work for Disney all seem to have a very bossy persona and act like they own the place. Maybe it is the culture?

Also, I had a similar experience with a Peter Pan meet and greet back in 2018 or 2019. He all but cussed at me for saying Tink is sassy and has a little attitude. I was not even being rude. I was saying I liked her because of her sassy Tinkatude. It was out of control and super embarrassing. I went right to Guest Relations.

I will say though, I love Cast Members. I would rather talk to them than have a photo with a character. They honestly make the trip for me. I have met and chatted with 50 awesome cast members to every 1 not so awesome.

Hello, last year, when we first wanted to do RoR early in the morning on the very first day of our stay (full of excitement and enthusiasm !!), the attraction was down. We had never done RoR before, so we wanted to stay where we were, seated on a rock, waiting till it opened (we are talking about experiencing RoR for the very first time on the very first day of our stay after having a 12-15 hour flight from Europe the day before).

But a castmember told us to move along and do other attractions and come back later. But I refused and wanted to wait. But she kept on saying we had to move along. We refused. It was an akward and disturbing moment. I didn't like it all. I couldn't appreciate it at all. It was literally the first thing we did on our three week stay.

It felt as if I had no free choice to wait or not.

I want to add I love castmembers. It was just this one experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter