• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Backpack

Feberin

DIS Veteran
We're planning a Universal trip next year but I'd like to buy backpacks to try out at theme parks this year. We're a family of 6 with four kids who will be 6-14 when we go. Previously at Disney and other theme parks we've always done a stroller with a big backpack we tuck under. However my youngest won't need the stroller and I've read that the free lockers for rides have a size restriction. So I was thinking everyone has their own backpack and we split everything up. Any suggestions for a cheap but decent backpack that fits in the lockers? Do other families do it similarly with everyone (or almost everyone) having a small bag instead of one big backpack?

Any suggestions for a cheap but decent backpack that fits in the lockers?

I love Jansport backpacks! They're inexpensive, durable, waterproof, and they have a lifetime warranty, so they'll fix rips and tears years and years after you buy the bag, no receipt needed.

Personally I use a half pint (mini) backpack in the parks and for festivals and fairs, but it's such a small backpack it would work out well for children. Their superbreak bag also fits perfectly under an airline seat as well, if you're looking for something larger.

Super light weight and waterproof, but holds a ton (without being very big iteself). Zomake Ultra Lightweight

Amazon Link
Does that one fit in the free lockers? It was one I'd been looking at but wasn't sure it would fit. Or do you just make sure not to completely fill it.

Does that one fit in the free lockers? It was one I'd been looking at but wasn't sure it would fit. Or do you just make sure not to completely fill it.
It will. It's very flexible (not sure that's the right word lol).

You want any bag to be able to squish down to a height of no taller than a soda can (there's plenty of space side to side & back to front, it's the height that's the limiting factor in the free lockers). So it can be a fairly big bag, just not stuffed so full that it can't be semi-flattened.

You can also fill it chock full, but then take out stuff & put into 2 free lockers if you need. In that case I'd recommend having the "remove" stuff in a second smaller bag, so it's quick & easy to pull out. That's what normally happens when you acquire souvenirs as your day progresses... Either way, try to head into the locker areas with a plan so that you're not unnecessarily holding up others in the tight quarters.

You want any bag to be able to squish down to a height of no taller than a soda can (there's plenty of space side to side & back to front, it's the height that's the limiting factor in the free lockers). So it can be a fairly big bag, just not stuffed so full that it can't be semi-flattened.

You can also fill it chock full, but then take out stuff & put into 2 free lockers if you need. In that case I'd recommend having the "remove" stuff in a second smaller bag, so it's quick & easy to pull out. That's what normally happens when you acquire souvenirs as your day progresses... Either way, try to head into the locker areas with a plan so that you're not unnecessarily holding up others in the tight quarters.
Thanks the soda can helps me visualize it better. So it's actually better to get a taller bag so it can squish down than something tinier that would be filled very quickly.

Yes, tall & flatter will slide in nicely.

I may have brought a can of soda and it fit in with millimeters to spare.

I use a full sized backpack, and yes, definitely have to leave room for squishing. Often I am pulling out water bottles/the refillable mugs, etc. to get it to fit, and we put those in a different locker. I"m an overpacker, but I want my stuff! DH uses a fanny pack, if he brings a bag, DD uses a small, mini backpack, DS just pockets. (although I"m usually toting around his stuff.water, extra ponchos, etc.) We've not tried to put the wand boxes in a locker, but they are supposed to be able to fit. Loose wands fit though.

I can't say about Universal as the end of May will be our first trip, but we have done Disney with our two girls several times. They use crossbody bags from Amazon. I think I paid $6-7 for it ( its waterproof). It was big enough to hold a bottle of water, a small notepad and pen, a old cell phone ( she played games on it) and a couple of snacks. But light enough, they had no problem carrying it. I think we started at about 6. We have even had a stuffed animal head sticking out of it before because DD didn't want to leave her new "baby" in the room. That being said we are going to try fanny packs at universal. I know that we loose the ability to carry a water bottle, but they liked the idea of not keeping up with it.

** I think I should add that my DD never had a full water bottle. We would just use the disposable kind and drink some on the way to the park and then they had a 1/2 full bottle of water for in the lines. Later they could use the water from DH larger backpack. My girls are teeny tiny, so I tried to keep it light.

I saw a lot more Loungefly backpacks this year than I previously have.

I wore a Loungefly backpack for the first time at the park and it was smaller than I expected. Overall I felt it was poorly designed and it could not fit a water bottle in the side pocket. It might be that particular bag design, but I preferred my Boxlunch bag.

I can't say about Universal as the end of May will be our first trip, but we have done Disney with our two girls several times. They use crossbody bags from Amazon. I think I paid $6-7 for it ( its waterproof). It was big enough to hold a bottle of water, a small notepad and pen, a old cell phone ( she played games on it) and a couple of snacks. But light enough, they had no problem carrying it. I think we started at about 6. We have even had a stuffed animal head sticking out of it before because DD didn't want to leave her new "baby" in the room. That being said we are going to try fanny packs at universal. I know that we loose the ability to carry a water bottle, but they liked the idea of not keeping up with it.

** I think I should add that my DD never had a full water bottle. We would just use the disposable kind and drink some on the way to the park and then they had a 1/2 full bottle of water for in the lines. Later they could use the water from DH larger backpack. My girls are teeny tiny, so I tried to keep it light.
Just an idea, we use these collapsible cups for using at the numerous freestyle coke machines for free cold, filtered water at Universal. (Tastes great unlike Disney water… there we need a filtered bottle.) We also use collapsible bottles sometimes. These cups easily fit in a fanny pack.

https://a.co/d/cegwhe1

IMG_9825.jpeg

Just an idea, we use these collapsible cups for using at the numerous freestyle coke machines for free cold, filtered water at Universal. (Tastes great unlike Disney water… there we need a filtered bottle.) We also use collapsible bottles sometimes. These cups easily fit in a fanny pack.

https://a.co/d/cegwhe1

View attachment 757898
THANK YOU! I saw these on another site. I am on the fence if they will really use them, though. DH is planning on a backpack so he can get some Freestyle cups ( he's a huge soda fan). Do you really use them?

THANK YOU! I saw these on another site. I am on the fence if they will really use them, though. DH is planning on a backpack so he can get some Freestyle cups ( he's a huge soda fan). Do you really use them?
We use them every trip which is almost monthly. We’re also big water drinkers though. I love how the rim is metal so it feels like a substantial cup. I also bring a collapsible bottle when it’s really hot out so I can have water while in line. Sometimes to those, we’ll add Nuun tablets which provide electrolytes but without a lot of sugar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter