Back From Alaska 7/20-28/10 Extre day plus day one

Icemann

Dis Vet
I'm kinda new at this trip report thing,so here goes.After a few gliches we arrivied at Anchorage Airport I wanted to fly an old De Havilland bush plane into Fairbanks but the plane was taken out of service for maintenance :( such is life.We hung around the airport took pictures got something to eat and chilled until it was time to leave.When we got to Fairbanks the tour company Disney use's had a person their to meet us and get are luggage.When we got to Sophie Station are room was ready and are Disney surprize's were their waiting for us,not as many as last trip tho,no big deal.The guides left a card Welcoming us and told us what time to meet them in the lobby the next day.Sorta unpacked and fell into bed.We were up almost 21 hours from the time we left Florida until we were standing in are room at Sophie Station.

The next morning we rolled out of bed around 10 had coffee cleaned up and went to breakfast at the hotel which was very good.Looked outside and it was raining,the lady at the front desk said the week before it was sunny and in the 80's :rotfl: just are luck.Sarah was the front desk manager and she was very helpful,she said it stopped raining in the afternoon for the most part.For three dollars a person you can get a bus pass that will take you all over Fairbanks and the North Pole all day.So off to the North Pole we went,We did the tourist thing mailed some post cards and letters from their so they would have the Nort Pole post mark.We got some lunch walked around and headed back to Fairbanks which was about a twenty minute ride.Their bus routes are easy to understand and laid out very good.We went down town and walked around and looked in some of the shops and decided to go to Pioneer Village,as we were about to get off the bus it started pouring down rain,so back to the hotel for dinner we went.After dinner it was drizzling rain so we went to Fred Myers for some supplies and thick socks for are rafting adventure later in the trip(thanks sayhello for that tip)that was pretty much it for the day.I walked around the hotel taking pictures of the hotel and the grounds.Then fell into bed.You need more then one day in Fairbanks in my opinion,next time.

I'm kinda new at this trip report thing,so here goes.After a few gliches we arrivied at Anchorage Airport I wanted to fly an old De Havilland bush plane into Fairbanks but the plane was taken out of service for maintenance :( such is life.We hung around the airport took pictures got something to eat and chilled until it was time to leave.When we got to Fairbanks the tour company Disney use's had a person their to meet us and get are luggage.When we got to Sophie Station are room was ready and are Disney surprize's were their waiting for us,not as many as last trip tho,no big deal.The guides left a card Welcoming us and told us what time to meet them in the lobby the next day.Sorta unpacked and fell into bed.We were up almost 21 hours from the time we left Florida until we were standing in are room at Sophie Station.

The next morning we rolled out of bed around 10 had coffee cleaned up and went to breakfast at the hotel which was very good.Looked outside and it was raining,the lady at the front desk said the week before it was sunny and in the 80's :rotfl: just are luck.Sarah was the front desk manager and she was very helpful,she said it stopped raining in the afternoon for the most part.For three dollars a person you can get a bus pass that will take you all over Fairbanks and the North Pole all day.So off to the North Pole we went,We did the tourist thing mailed some post cards and letters from their so they would have the Nort Pole post mark.We got some lunch walked around and headed back to Fairbanks which was about a twenty minute ride.Their bus routes are easy to understand and laid out very good.We went down town and walked around and looked in some of the shops and decided to go to Pioneer Village,as we were about to get off the bus it started pouring down rain,so back to the hotel for dinner we went.After dinner it was drizzling rain so we went to Fred Myers for some supplies and thick socks for are rafting adventure later in the trip(thanks sayhello for that tip)that was pretty much it for the day.I walked around the hotel taking pictures of the hotel and the grounds.Then fell into bed.You need more then one day in Fairbanks in my opinion,next time.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. I think the food at Sophie Station was the best we had on the whole trip. Don't you love those warm wool socks?! I bought some at Fred Meyer too - buy two get one free. I wore them at home all last winter.

Oh! I hope that was the only day of rain you had! :yay: The weather is so unpredictable in Alaska!

I loved the staff at Sophie Station. They were so friendly and helpful!

Glad the suggestion about the socks was helpful.

Isn't Fred Meyer's just the best? I want one here! And it's just so conveniently located to Sophie Station. I'm glad you gave yourself the extra day to recover. And I also agree it would have been nice to have another day in Fairbanks. It's really easy to get around, and a very cool place.

I'm really looking forward to more of your report.

Sayhello

Iceman, Welcome home....we were with you and your wife on this trip. It's the couple from VT. with our 9 yr. old daughter. We had a disaster on the way home and plane canceled out of Chicago. Got into NY LaGuadia @ 11:00pm and slept on the floor. Flown out on US Air supposidly 7:30 and didn't have wheels up till about 10:00. Finally got home and yes, all luggage in Chicago. We had a wonderful time but if it is such a hassle to fly anymore than some of those frontier locals may be inexcessable to most of us. Looking foward to the review so we can relive our trip.

Iceman, Welcome home....we were with you and your wife on this trip. It's the couple from VT. with our 9 yr. old daughter. We had a disaster on the way home and plane canceled out of Chicago. Got into NY LaGuadia @ 11:00pm and slept on the floor. Flown out on US Air supposidly 7:30 and didn't have wheels up till about 10:00. Finally got home and yes, all luggage in Chicago. We had a wonderful time but if it is such a hassle to fly anymore than some of those frontier locals may be inexcessable to most of us. Looking foward to the review so we can relive our trip.

Sorry to hear about your flight home glad you guys finally made it tho.Are flight was on time but long and we were tired and I was getting sick.I had too much fun in Alaska but it was worth it :banana: I love this dancing banana thing.Glad you found this post you can kept me honest and fill in the blanks if I miss anything. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter