[B]Need Help[/B]

Rodski

Earning My Ears
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to save money for a vacation.
As previously posted my boyfriend had some financial problems so we had to cancel our first trip. I'm hoping we may be able to go next year. Any tips would be great!

By the way we are both 25 years old, have part-time jobs and finishing up oour schooling next year and therefore can only go during may or summer (not able to go during value season.

Thanks

I'm saving a ton of money for my May trip by not eating out. I work a 2nd shift job and we always order out and it was costing me a fortune. I've stopped doing that and stopped going out to eat as much. I bring my own dinner to work now from home and only go out to eat maybe once a week. (if that)

I also started a change jar and believe me, it fills up fast! I put all my change in the jar and I never pay with change anymore. If I'm at a store and the total is $4.12, I give the cashier a $5 and then the change goes in the jar. I also thrown in the occasional dollar and once in awhile a $5. I'm guessing I have about $250 in the jar so far and I've still got 3 months go go before by trip.

I also watch for grocery sales and stock up and things I use alot. Since I've been bringing dinner to work instead of ordering out, if someone has a great deal on Stouffers dinners or something like that, I buy a bunch so I have them. One store had a buy one get one free special and I bought about 20. At $2.50 a meal, it sure beat the $5 to $7 I was spending on ordering out every night!

Saving money is one of those things I am good at I like to think I can be fairly frugal when I want to be.

1. Open a high interest savings account that gives around 4% interest don't know if you have one of those already or not. Put some money in each month even if it's only 25 bucks it will add up!

2. Change jars are great for collecting all the spare change. Pay with cash for as many things as you can. So if the bill is 4.02 pay with a 5 and put that money directly into your change jar.

3. Bring your lunch/dinner to work or school. The unions at universities can be expensive I know I work for one. Bringing instead of buying will save you some serious cash and it will add up.

4. Take surveys online for money. They are generally pretty short and will pay you some extra cash you can put directly into savings. I average about 20 bucks a month doing surveys. Some months are better then others. I do mysurvey, lightspeed, pincone, survery savvy, hi points (they give gift certifcates not cash but you can use those on your trip), opinion outpost and a few others that aren't as consistent.

5. Do reward sites for disney dollars and gift certificates. You can use the disney dollars on your trip and the gift certificates for food. Most of the reward sites are signing up for offers and clicking on links and some pay you points to shop. If you are going to do this I reccomend opening up another email account. The reward sites I do are creationrewards, sunshinerewards, mypoints and quickrewards plus a few others I'm trying to decide if are still worth it.

6. Open up a disney visa account they will give you a think it is one reward dollar per 100 you spend. Just make sure you pay it off each month the interest rate is really high. They also offer discounts for some items you would buy in the park. Charge your bills to the card as well as other purchases the reward money will add up.

7. My boyfriend and I drink alot of soda so I save the cans for cash I think around here they pay 30 cents a pound (which is about a 12 pack). Yes that is a little frugal but it's free money and you are recycling.

8. Cook at home they are quite a few cheap meal ides on this thread. Go out to eat rarely.

9. Cut out any extras you don't need and can live without for a year. I had digital cable which gave me a bunch of channels I never watch. I cancelled it and now have the regular 70 channel cable and am saving 10 bucks a month.

10. Start a budget so you can see how much you spend for each purchase and where you can take out the money.

11. If you can live without it don't buy it. It's so easy to go to a store and buy something you will never use. Save the money instead.

Hopefully you will be able to save enough money in a year to go on your trip!

Rodski- You already are showing that you have some common sence- if finances are not in order- cancelling a much anticipated trip is a very difficult BUT responsible thing to do. Money will no doubt be tight while you are both only working part-time- but you are getting an education to build a better future- so these sacrifices will be worth your while.
When DH and I were in your situation we ate a lot of PB&J and Kraft Mac and Cheese- I used to hate it so much- but now a PBJ once in a while brings back sweet memories. (Hard to beleive I know)
I think it would be smart to journal your spending for a week and then sit down and see if you can cut anything. DH and I have travel mugs and take our coffee with us in the am instead of stopping for coffee- it saves time and $$$.
Probably you are so busy- you get take out once in a while. a big savings would be to always have the fixins for a quick soup or bacon and eggs or whatever- so you can avoid that $20 take-out bill. Also pack your lunch, each day.
Others will be along with even more- (Here's the best tip of all:) keep reading these boards

There's really no secret to saving for your vacation. If saving is not already a part of your budget, you need to make it a priority. To afford that vacation, you need to do either make more or spend less. As a college student, you may not have too many opportunities to make more money. Your time is probably stretched thin as it is. A few moneymakers that you might consider: eBay, Half.com (for selling used textbooks), a yard sale or selling to a consignment shop. The amount of time that you invest in any of these is up to you, which makes all of them nice for anyone who has very little spare time. There are also online survey sites, mystery shopping and test drives that can pay well. If you get on a consumer panel, you may be offered $50-$100 for your opinion on new products and advertising.

On the other side of the coin, you can look for ways to spend less. Take a hard look at what you spend you money on every month. Are you buying new DVDs anytime they come out? Forget building that library right now and rent DVDs instead. Do you spend a lot of $$$ on lattés and cappucinnos at the coffee shop? Buy an inexpensive coffeemaker and brew your own take-along instead. Maybe you have a hobby that is costing you big $$$ every month? Or an obsession with shoes (you should have seen my shoe wardrobe when I was 25!, Imelda Marcos had nothing on me!). How about designer bags? The point is this, almost all of us have some type of spending that we can cut back on if we have a desire to do so.

Since your trip is about 1½ years away, you can probably get an idea of what it will cost based on this year's packages. Go to Disneworld.com and price out your vacation for the same dates in the 2006 season (2007 rates aren't available yet). This will give you a clue of what kind of savings plan you'll need for 2007. Keep in mind that the figure for the 2006 quote will undoubtedly be lower than the 2007 price...tickets and room rates go up every year. Increase that number by about 5%. Don't forget to factor in airfare, rental car and food. Then, divide that new total by the number of months that you have until the trip. That's your monthly savings goal for the next year and a half. If the number is impossibly high, you will either have to push back the vacation a few months or scale it back (offsite, fewer days, no hopping or magic plus, etc.).

Now that you have that monthly savings goal, you need to put the money in a safe place so that you don't accidentally spend it. A separate savings account, designated just for the vacation is probably a good idea. An online account, rather than one at a B&M bank will make it more difficult to access the money quickly, which will help to curb any impulse spending. They ususally have better interest rates than B&M banks as well. If you set up the account so that regular deposits are transferred from checking to savings, you may not even miss the money.

Finally, don't dismiss your change as insignificant. You can accumulate a good amount of change in a year and a half. I have a popcorn bucket from a previous visit to WDW. I just throw all my coins in there everyday. When the bucket is almost full, I take it to my bank. They have a free coin counting machine. I just deposit the final amount into my checking account and then transfer the funds immediately into my savings account. I do this about 4 times a year with the average amount falling in the $150 range. Very little effort and relatively painless. If you're the type to raid the coin jar, get one that is nearly impossible to open without destroying it.

Good luck with establishing your savings plan. Post again when you've outlined a plan. Maybe someone will have more suggestions for you.

I agree with cutting stuff out you can do without. DH and I were spending 200-300 bucks a month on going out to eat. Now we go out to eat 1 time per week and that's it. Other than that, I can't really cut anything out. LOL I know I probably could cut Dish Network down. But we watch all the channels we have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter