• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

[B]Anyone every use indie babysitting services?[/B]

ffugitive

DIS Veteran
Our boy is two and a half and we are "considering" leaving him with a babysitter at our POR room one night. But we have serious concerns about it (and probably won't do it for that reason). Has anyone ever used Kids Night Out or Fairy Godmothers or some other outfit for this? If so, what was your experience? Thanks

We've used "Kids Night Out" in May 2005, again in September 2005, and will be using them next month.

We were very happy with their in room services. The first time, it was a 20 something girl who had a child herself and was very good with our kids.

The second time was a late 50's/early 60's aged woman who was grandmotherly and was EXTREMELY throrough (wrote everything down on her report), very friendly with the kids, and a great sitter.

No problem at all...I would highly recommend them.

Years ago, when my kids were about 5, 7 and 8, we used whatever Disney called it then (LOL) for one night to have DH and I go out to dinner. I think I would feel comfortable leaving a baby if the baby were asleep and unlikely to wake up, but if there was a good chance he'd wake up, I wouldn't want him to wake up to find Mommy and Daddy gone and only a stranger there, especially because he's not in his own home, but at a hotel. I was probably over-protective of my kids when they were that small, though, and never left them with anyone other than a trusted adult who they knew very well. But that's me, and each person has to decide what's right for his/her own kids. You know your own child well enough to consider how he would react. I did trust Disney to provide qualified babysitters, though, so if you think your child would be OK with a babysitter, I wouldn't worry about the character of the babysitter.

We used the Fairy Godmothers service a long time ago (9 yrs!) when we stayed at DVC with my cousins. My son was almost three and his cousin was 5. The sitter was a college-age girl who came prepared...she had a large tote bag filled with Happy Meal toys, videos and other goodies! The kids were thrilled!!! The husbands were very thorough going over everything with the hottie babysitter...ha ha! My cousin and I just looked at each other as if to say "They never pay that much attention to the kids at home!" We were very happy with the service, felt very comfortable with the sitter and the kids LOVED it! As the OP stated, you have to know your own kids. (My son has never had a problem being left with a sitter.)

Funny thing...9 years later we are heading back for the first time since that trip. I asked my 12-year old if he remembered being at WDW before. He said "Yes! We stayed with Kelsey (his cousin) and we had the Fairy Godmother babysitter come!!!" The only other thing he remembers is Buzz and Woody at Pizza Planet. Go figure...

Kids and babysitters, the stuff writers can really sink their teeth into.

"Uncle Buck" is a hoot.

And they just re-made "When a Stranger Calls".

Classic movies, all.

We used Fairy Godmothers a couple of years ago when my younger son was 20 months old so we could go with our older one to an (early) e-ride night. She did a fine job. I would probably use Kids Nite Out if we did it again because they are the "official" sitting service for WDW.

The Kids Nite Out people also worked at a conference for children with diabetes that we attended last summer and ran a sitting service. My younger one attended that and they had an amazing amount of toys in the place they set up. Obviously they can't bring all that big stuff to your room but I saw very good interaction and the people were all very nice. (There were nurses also there to deal with the diabetic needs of the kids - the KNO people just played!).

I have yet to read anything bad about either service and I've read this board for six years. I think it is perfectly fine to use the sitting service if you want to do so - that is what they are for! Try to ignore the folks who love to use this topic to attack you for leaving your child. :sad2: Do whatever YOU feel comfortable with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter