average daily food cost for adults

Too many unknown variables. You said sit down meals, there is such a vast variety of prices for "sit down" meals.

Just a ball park

If you eat like the DlxDP (3 table service a day plus snacks) $116/pp a day x 8 days = $4640

If you eat more like regular Dining Plan (1 QS and 1 TS plus snacks) $75/pp a day x 8 days = $3000

(Note: Dining plan doesn't include gratuity for the Table Service meals)

Out of Pocket, no dining plan, it is totally based on where you go, what you eat, drink, etc. I'd say you'd be spending somewhere in between these two guesses.

You probably need to start with your ADRs. You need to map out where you are eating each day, planning each meal and then checking the menu prices, and just ball parking it. You can make a spreadsheet as well if you want to get detailed about it.

Last edited:
Its really so subjective. My thoughts: look at the menus and guess what you'll eat/drink. Do you share? Imbibe? Do desserts? There are so many factors. How many restaurants and what restaurants? Special occasions?

Thank you. I forgot what we had spent in the past. Thinking now quick service maybe the way to go. With a few table service. Thanks for the help

I plan at least $100 per day per person when we need to plan at least two meals a day. I add a bit more for DH and I because we like a cocktail or two, and I subtract for my DD and DGD because they would not. DD insists DSIl will nto have a drink with meals...she is wrong, but I indulge her selective memory. LOL!

Thank you. I forgot what we had spent in the past. Thinking now quick service maybe the way to go. With a few table service. Thanks for the help

Why leave planning the food budget to chance? Take a look at the menus and the prices, think about what your family would order, and then add it up. I know that I like a dining plan, but it is because I know it works for my family, and my budget is easier to set, however I look at restaurants and menus no matter where we travel. For us, planning a trip and trying to remain within an artificially set meals and snack budget is impossible. WE are in the middle of costing out a realistic meals budget vs an all inclusive rate for an Aruba vacation. My DD mentioned how we could have bacon and eggs in the condo. "Are you cooking? Because I am not." Ummmm, no, not likely. Well, add breakfast into that budget and remember that Pa will not live on bagels alone! LOL!

For me here's were you can have more control over your budget. You really can't control Park ticket prices, Airfare, Hotel, bus or Uber/Lyft, cost... you can shop around... But for me here is were you can save or splurge... or do both....save on some meals to have a splurge meal or two...

Make a list of your needs....

First your the only one that know how your Family eats... use how you eat at home, and on previous vacations as a guide. We really don't eat breakfast during the week maybe a granola bar or pop tart but nothing like scramble eggs or anything like that, but on the weekends we do, and on vacation we enjoy breakfast all together.

Are there big eaters, picky eaters, dietary restrictions in place or food allergies. Carnivore, Herbivore or Omnivore?

Then are you celebrating anything special... Splurge meals

Next are character meals important to you & your family, for us character meal are very much a part of our overall vacation experience, and we feel that they are important and we love them. Some people prefer to stay away from these types of meals and feel that they are a waste of time and/money. Only you know what your family enjoys.

Take into consideration, sharing meals both at Table service ( please tip the server as everyone ordered a entree) and quick serve restaurants, or ordering a few appetizers and dessert for sharing instead of entree's.. instead of everyone ordering a appetizers- order only 1 or 2 to share- then share a dessert, if there is a bread basket or something is an appetizer really necessary? Or maybe the family size appetizer and share a couple of entrees....

Quick service options are so varied, it not just hamburgers and hot dogs anymore... Lots and lots to choose from

You can do buffet for breakfast, snack for lunch, then quick service for dinner or Grab a breakfast bar or something in room and then a early lunch quick serve and table service later on...You can mix it up any way you want to...

Now the real work begins... its so worth the time to sit and check out menu's, prices, look at the pictures of meals here and on other sites... start writing down some options, and see if they will work with your list of needs.

Don't forget to add in adult beverages, specialty drinks smoothies, shakes and such... pool drinks, water ( order a case so much cheaper)

As a rule of thumb....DH and I budget anywhere from 100.00 per person per day to 150.00 per person per day... when we travel...Depending on where we are going... NYC and Paris on the higher end, cabin in the mountain lower end...

By doing all the work up front you will be more prepared and less stressed out about meal cost... so more vacation fun...pixiedust:

For me here's were you can have more control over your budget. You really can't control Park ticket prices, Airfare, Hotel, bus or Uber/Lyft, cost... you can shop around... But for me here is were you can save or splurge... or do both....save on some meals to have a splurge meal or two...

Make a list of your needs....

First your the only one that know how your Family eats... use how you eat at home, and on previous vacations as a guide. We really don't eat breakfast during the week maybe a granola bar or pop tart but nothing like scramble eggs or anything like that, but on the weekends we do, and on vacation we enjoy breakfast all together.

Are there big eaters, picky eaters, dietary restrictions in place or food allergies. Carnivore, Herbivore or Omnivore?

Then are you celebrating anything special... Splurge meals

Next are character meals important to you & your family, for us character meal are very much a part of our overall vacation experience, and we feel that they are important and we love them. Some people prefer to stay away from these types of meals and feel that they are a waste of time and/money. Only you know what your family enjoys.

Take into consideration, sharing meals both at Table service ( please tip the server as everyone ordered a entree) and quick serve restaurants, or ordering a few appetizers and dessert for sharing instead of entree's.. instead of everyone ordering a appetizers- order only 1 or 2 to share- then share a dessert, if there is a bread basket or something is an appetizer really necessary? Or maybe the family size appetizer and share a couple of entrees....

Quick service options are so varied, it not just hamburgers and hot dogs anymore... Lots and lots to choose from

You can do buffet for breakfast, snack for lunch, then quick service for dinner or Grab a breakfast bar or something in room and then a early lunch quick serve and table service later on...You can mix it up any way you want to...

Now the real work begins... its so worth the time to sit and check out menu's, prices, look at the pictures of meals here and on other sites... start writing down some options, and see if they will work with your list of needs.

Don't forget to add in adult beverages, specialty drinks smoothies, shakes and such... pool drinks, water ( order a case so much cheaper)

As a rule of thumb....DH and I budget anywhere from 100.00 per person per day to 150.00 per person per day... when we travel...Depending on where we are going... NYC and Paris on the higher end, cabin in the mountain lower end...

By doing all the work up front you will be more prepared and less stressed out about meal cost... so more vacation fun...pixiedust:

Exactly. I remember booking CL at the BC for a trip that included my DH. I chose not to book DxDDP because I was sure our oop would not come close to the difference between the two plans. I never considered DH would declare two days in that I was starving his poor malnourished self! lol!!! I also did not consider he would get all worked up over what was included... just order the appetizer if you want it!!!! Lol! Yikes! Truest example of know your dining audience. This trip DD keeps saying they don’t need appetizers, they are dessert people. Remember the 2012 trip???? Hmmmmm?

I go to WDW 3-4 times/year for 12 years and don't use dining plan. I budget $45/day for CS. This includes one snack but no alcohol.

For TS WDW has gotten absurd with the pricing, truly. I budget $45 per meal TS, no alcohol and maybe a dessert. No appetizer -- and this is NOT for signature restaurants. This doesn't include tip!

If you plan on counter service instead with a few table service meals for five adults I'd figure $250-300/day. We tend to choose the less expensive table service restaurants - Via Napoli, Plaza, Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch, Sci Fi, Beaches and Cream, etc.., plus one splurge character meal.

If you have breakfast in your room that will save as well. It's easy to have cereal or bagels in your room before heading out for the day. That could help bring it down closer to $200-250/day.

For me, I don't have a per-day budget. On my upcoming trip, I have a day where I'm planning on a small breakfast, just a snack for lunch, then dinner at California Grill. I'll spend more than day than other days where I have three full meals. :) I find it easier to estimate how much per TS and how much per QS, then see how many of each I'm doing that trip. Then add in $5-$10 a day for snacks.

Also, be sure to include snacks, and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in your calculations. We took my husband's family (6 adults) a few years ago and I was shocked by how much they spent in bottled water (didn't like the free CS stuff), coffee, and diet coke alone, DH and I survive on that free CS water, and rarely if ever purchase any non-alcoholic beverages, so it was a cost that we didn't really think about and added up with 6 adults.

Exactly. I remember booking CL at the BC for a trip that included my DH. I chose not to book DxDDP because I was sure our oop would not come close to the difference between the two plans. I never considered DH would declare two days in that I was starving his poor malnourished self! lol!!! I also did not consider he would get all worked up over what was included... just order the appetizer if you want it!!!! Lol! Yikes! Truest example of know your dining audience. This trip DD keeps saying they don’t need appetizers, they are dessert people. Remember the 2012 trip???? Hmmmmm?
Geeze sounds like the man in my house. He looked all aghast when I suggested no dining plan next trip just to see how it felt. You'd of thought I told him the relationship was over but but it was really my fault not his:rotfl2:.
Yes, yes we are doing the DxDP again dear, so go wipe your fevered brow.

@ Minnie-Mickey, if you don't feel like doing the math just use the cost of the 3 types of dining plans as a guidline. You can spend less or more but at least you have a baseline that fits how your party eats. Mostly counter service meals? Then add the daily cost of the QSDP for most days and then add in a day or two of the DP or DxDP to cover the table service restaurants you'd like.

Last edited:
For two adults (us :) ) we are planning on bringing $2500 on either a credit card, or cash on a gift card.
We are staying 9 nights. That will be about $277 a day for both of us for food.
I get a couple drinks throughout the day (champagne in France, saki in Japan), so that adds up.
I don't really a eat a lot though, bagels in the room in the morning, one counter service lunch for Micky while I usually eat more of a snack for lunch.
A table service dinner with wine every night. But dinner isn't always an entree for me, sometimes I get an appetizer. We rarely get dessert.
A couple more glasses of wine or cocktails later in the evening.
Snacks here and there.

I don't expect we will spend $2500 on food, but it will be nice to have ready and we can also use it for any souvenirs. :)

If you plan on counter service instead with a few table service meals for five adults I'd figure $250-300/day. We tend to choose the less expensive table service restaurants - Via Napoli, Plaza, Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch, Sci Fi, Beaches and Cream, etc.., plus one splurge character meal.

If you have breakfast in your room that will save as well. It's easy to have cereal or bagels in your room before heading out for the day. That could help bring it down closer to $200-250/day.

How is that possible? Our family spends over $200 on a single character meal and that is 2 adults, 2 kids, and one free baby. 5 adults would be more for one character meal than the entire budget for the day you propose. I would estimate $350-500 for a party of 5.

This thread got me thinking about our food/drink budget. I am planning on $250-$300 a day for the two of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter