Avengers Campus. What do you guys think of the Schwarma restaurants?

Mr Mannn

Who da Mannn? He da Mannn!
To be honest I don't even know what it is. I just heard of it in the movie.
any good? Thumbs up or down?

We ordered both the chicken sharma and also the beyond meat falafel. I didn't care for the chicken sharma at all and it upset my stomach. The chicken was a weird rubbery texture and it had a strong powered curry taste... The falafel was better tasting but a bit dry. I don't know why they made falafel "beyond" because it is chickpea (vegetarian) anyway don't know why you would need fake chicken in it. Others in my group thought it was good to just OK. We ran the gambit.

They're not restaurants, they're more quick service carts called Shawarma Palace (between Web Slingers and Pym Test Kitchen) and the ever creative Shawarma Palace ll (next to the Hyperion theater).

From what I've read, the sandwich themselves are a bit dry and need the sauce, a coconut/garlic/tahini sauce. (Which is hit or miss with people's taste buds). Although the breakfast shawarma has gotten rave reviews with Sausage/egg omelet wrap with spiced maple syrup.

Please keep in mind these are not typical "shawarma sandwiches". If you have a good local Middle Eastern restaurant (tons of them in the LA area) or travel overseas, I strongly suggest giving it a try. In my opinion, much superior version of a gyro.

If you see one of these from the picture below at the counter, then you're in for a treat!

Skaf_s_Grill_Hummus.0.0.1513214130.0.jpg

Please keep in mind these are not typical "shawarma sandwiches". If you have a good local Middle Eastern restaurant (tons of them in the LA area) or travel overseas, I strongly suggest giving it a try. In my opinion, much superior version of a gyro.
Thank you for the advice! I was curious why such excitement over Disney's version when what you posted sounds 100x better. Now I'll have to be on the look out here in LA :)

Thank you for the advice! I was curious why such excitement over Disney's version when what you posted sounds 100x better. Now I'll have to be on the look out here in LA :)
If you go internationally overseas, some locations add crisp french fries into the Shawarma sandwiches. At first I thought it was weird but it adds an amazing flavor profile to the sandwich.

Alot of local Greek restaurants also add french fries, to their gyro sandwiches, I'd recommend this if you see it available.

See if there are any Halal Guys locations near you. This is what you are looking for.
Be careful with Halal Guys. To save time, they cut the meats early in the morning every day and put them in heating trays till someone orders them (flavor changes if not eaten fresh after the cut).

If I don't see it freshly cut in front of me from those shawarma spinal as shown in the picture above, then I don't get it. If you go to a mom and pop local Middle Eastern restaurant in Los Angeles, you'll get the fresh servings.

Be careful with Halal Guys. To save time, they cut the meats early in the morning every day and put them in heating trays till someone orders them (flavor changes if not eaten fresh after the cut).

If I don't see it freshly cut in front of me from those shawarma spinal as shown in the picture above, then I don't get it. If you go to a mom and pop local Middle Eastern restaurant in Los Angeles, you'll get the fresh servings.

We have a location locally that slices all the meats fresh to order. Thats been my personal experience anyway. Maybe it's location dependent?

We had the chicken and the falafel schwarma's last Monday, and I thought they were really good. We went half and half. I probably liked the vegetarian slightly more than the chicken, but I enjoyed them both. My friend said that the breakfast one was also really good. He should be uploading a video here soon and I'll share it.

They're not restaurants, they're more quick service carts called Shawarma Palace (between Web Slingers and Pym Test Kitchen) and the ever creative Shawarma Palace ll (next to the Hyperion theater).

From what I've read, the sandwich themselves are a bit dry and need the sauce, a coconut/garlic/tahini sauce. (Which is hit or miss with people's taste buds). Although the breakfast shawarma has gotten rave reviews with Sausage/egg omelet wrap with spiced maple syrup.

If you see one of these from the picture below at the counter, then you're in for a treat!

View attachment 590519
It is not true Shawarma, like the image shows. It is chicken squares flavored to be like Shawarma.
HUGE disappointment for me, but for others they will never know the difference.

If you are near or in Downtown LA go to the Sultan Chicken. It is AWESOME.
Another good option is Zankou Chicken. A big chain with quite a few locations including close to Disneyland.
In Orange County and near Disneyland there are also...
Pita Hot
Hummus Bean

Halal guys are good but would probably be my last choice out of the ones I have already mentioned.

If you are near or in Downtown LA go to the Sultan Chicken. It is AWESOME.
Another good option is Zankou Chicken. A big chain with quite a few locations including close to Disneyland.
In Orange County and near Disneyland there are also...
Pita Hot
Hummus Bean

Halal guys are good but would probably be my last choice out of the ones I have already mentioned.

Love Zankou Chicken, especially the garlic sauce, which goes great on everything on the menu.

Big thumbs down. Was pretty bad rendition of schwarma (IMHO). But everyones mileage may vary. My 4YO wasn't having it at all, lol. I scarfed it down like a hero.

Adults in my group that have had "Real" schwarmas: thumbs down
Kids in my group that have zero culinary tastes: thumbs up

Reminded me more of flavors from India for some reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter