• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Automatic Gratuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwelty

"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney
As most of you, I think the 18% automatic dinnning gratuity is a bad idea and will affect service. One thing I would like to remind everyone. If you feel you service was not a positive experience, you can cross out the gratuity listed on the check and write in a lower amount. I have done this in the past and never had a problem with it. (If I get good service, I will often increase the amount to 20%). We can still have control over our tips despite what Disney does.

Is the 18% calculated on the discounted, or pre-discounted amount?

Call me foolish, but my norm is to leave 30% of the discounted total. This equates to a 24% tip on the pre-discounted amount.

When the wife and I go out to eat at home, 20% is the norm.
I feel the Cast Members at WDW are worth an extra 4%.
Of course, if the server is rude that's another story. That has yet to happen at WDW.

-- Just my opinion. :smokin:

Call me foolish, but my norm is to leave 30% of the discounted total. This equates to a 24% tip on the pre-discounted amount.

Of course, if the server is rude that's another story. That has yet to happen at WDW.

The discounted amount is on the pre-dicounted amount (as it should be). I agree that the vast majority of Disney servers are great, however there is an incentive when it comes to tips (this is what they are meant for). Tipping has been the norm for two centuries in this country, this consumer driven tradition is in place to ensure a positive dinning experience. When you change that service suffers.

The new service charge will be imposed on the pre-discounted amount .

I am a bit surprised by this posting.......

I can't even count the amount of times on the Dis that we have discussed how underpaid cast members are and how service has already suffered because of low salaries and great cast members having to leave.

Also servers heavily rely on tips you have to remember that as well!

I usually give very good tips. It starts at 20% and goes up or down based on how good the service is. Let's be honest...not all servers deserve 18%. Some of them just slide by expecting a great tip. Giving them automatic gratuity isn't going to show them that they need improvement.

Case in point was last night. I just finished taking a super hard microbiology test and my husband took me out for a drink. He had an appetizer and soda and the waitress never offered him a refill. He had to go up to the bar to get a refill. The only time we saw our waitress was when she brought our order and when she brought our check. Our bill was just a tad under $20.00 so I left her exactly $20.00 and wrote on the check "ask people for refills"...THAT was a good tip I thought. I know some of you may think that I was harsh but I'm tired of rewarding bad service.

Just to reiterate, you won't get the automatic gratuity added in 2008 unless you are a DDE member or your party consists of 6 or more people.

According to the 2008 DDP brochure, if you are on the DDP and you order items that are not covered, like an alcoholic beverage (on either plan) or a TS appetizer (on the basic plan), you may get the automatic gratuity added to the extra items.

I am a bit surprised by this posting.......

I can't even count the amount of times on the Dis that we have discussed how underpaid cast members are and how service has already suffered because of low salaries and great cast members having to leave.

Also servers heavily rely on tips you have to remember that as well!

thats fine and no one here is saying dont tip(I dont believe)

but the tip is based on the level of service you receive, it should not be a flat calculated automatic rate across the board for every server

whats the point when thats the case

How would you feel if they just gave their servers an 18% raise and did away with tipping? Yes I feel sorry for the servers. But why can't employers pay their employees a decent wage? Because the price of the food would go up and customers might avoid the establishment. I was a server once and I hate this whole system! If the chef didn't prepare the food well - no tip. If the hostess seated you at a bad table - no tip. If there was a spot on the silverware - no tip. And it goes on and on. Like everyone who is angry with Disney for forcing the 18% and saying well too bad for the server, I usually give 20% and now I'm mad because Disney is forcing my tip so I'll take it out on the server. Think about that!

thats fine and no one here is saying dont tip(I dont believe)

but the tip is based on the level of service you receive, it should not be a flat calculated automatic rate across the board for every server

whats the point when thats the case

Exactly.

How would you feel if they just gave their servers an 18% raise and did away with tipping? Yes I feel sorry for the servers. But why can't employers pay their employees a decent wage? Because the price of the food would go up and customers might avoid the establishment. I was a server once and I hate this whole system! If the chef didn't prepare the food well - no tip. If the hostess seated you at a bad table - no tip. If there was a spot on the silverware - no tip. And it goes on and on. Like everyone who is angry with Disney for forcing the 18% and saying well too bad for the server, I usually give 20% and now I'm mad because Disney is forcing my tip so I'll take it out on the server. Think about that!

Well said.

Just my opinion, but I will not take it out on the server. I will leave extra to make up the difference.

As far as the chef, silverware etc.. , it's the servers job to check the accuracy and cleanliness of the order.

Someone once told me.. I have no idea if it's true, but here goes-

T- To
I- insure
P- prompt
S- service

It was told to me that when tipping first started, tips were given PRIOR to the meal as "insurance".

Again, I'm not sure of the accuracy here... :smokin:

MG

DH said "I have no problems with that" when I told him of the policy. So, I'm putting my objections behind me. Dining out at WDW has always been a pleasure for us. We don't eat out much at home, DH travels, and when he's home, I like to cook for 2!

Bobbi:goodvibes

According to the 2008 DDP brochure, if you are on the DDP and you order items that are not covered, like an alcoholic beverage (on either plan) or a TS appetizer (on the basic plan), you may get the automatic gratuity added to the extra items.

So, I must have things mixed up. . .the DDP does not have the automatic tipping added to the bill?? (unless it is non-covered items)
The DDE does not have the 18% added unless your party has 6 or more?

Whew, I did not read something correctly because I thought it was the exact opposite in both the above cases. I thought the DDE and DDP had the 18% gratuity regardless of party size.

Can someone please clarify this for me? I am feeling really confused. :confused3

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter