• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autographs for Older Kids?

Randi Morse

Earning My Ears
We went to Disney 5 years ago and my two children loved getting autographs. They're now 11 and 14 (almost 15) and my guess is that they won't want to get autographs again - but I'm sure they'll still want experiences with the characters. Should we just plan on lots of pics? Has anyone gone with children these ages?

I think it all depends on your children. I'm 25, my girlfriend is 23, and both of us still try and get as many autographs as we can. We like to do character buffets for the popular characters (Chef Mickey, O'hana, etc.) and then spend some time waiting for "rarer" characters, or characters you can't meet during a character breakfast/dinner (Peter Pan & Wendy, Tinkerbell, Gaston, etc.)

Plus, autographs are totally optional. Either way, you have to meet the character to get their autograph.

For us, autographs are just another Disney thing to collect. In May of 2014, we saw Pinocchio in Town Square first thing in the morning. We had read that he was a pretty rare character to see signing autographs for guest, so we had to get his signature. Almost missed our O'hana breakfast reservation but it was totally worth it.

My boys still wanted autographs but were beyond autograph books on our last trip. When we arrived they picked out several postcards from the resort gift shop and then had the characters sign the backs of them throughout our trip. They now have a nice keepsake that is different than the autograph books they've used in the past.

Thanks for the tips!! I'll definitely let them choose what they want to do, just trying to get prepared ahead of time as much as I can :D

Thanks for the tips!! I'll definitely let them choose what they want to do, just trying to get prepared ahead of time as much as I can :D

Just ask them if they want to get autographs or not. If they do and you want to prepare ahead if time, get a couple of autograph books. Or just wait til you get there. I doubt that there is a gift shop anywhere on property that doesn't have a shelf full of them.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have reached the age where rides trump standing in line for M&Gs.

you can always get the photo mats and have those signed and put a family photo in it. We are planning to do four of them - one per park

My daughter is 11 and isn't so in to the autographs anymore but still loves to visit with the characters. I read a TR from someone here where they got a photo mat and had the characters sign that. Then they took a photo from the trip and framed it with the mat. Thought that was a great idea. Might be something of interest for the older kids?

I'm 19 and have gotten autographs on every trip we have been on! It's just something I've always done. I do, however, make the decision to get books or not once we get to the resort. So it's really up to how they're feeling.

This past trip my girls were 11 and just turned 15! They wanted to see characters but NOT get the autographs. There was NO WAY I could NOT get the autographs so I ended up getting them lol!! (I made sure to have them bring their books "just in case") They still LOVED pin trading to the point of obsession!! But they weren't as in to the penny pressers as they were in the past. This trip they were all about the thrill rides and complained about how "boring" the nostalgic rides were. Fine, they can go to Cedar Point and hubby and I will go to Disney and love every minute of iasw!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter