Autism/developmental delays/verbal apraxia and the kids clubs

TinkerKeeks

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with the kids clubs and kids with autism and other issues.
I am very nervous as I have heard a lot of mixed reports. I have 3 year old twins and we will be going on the fantasy in March. I also have a neurotypical 5 year old. I would love for them to all go to same program and enjoy the club time together.
My son is less delayed than his twin sister. His current classroom setting for school is 12 kids 1 teacher 1 assistant ratio, so he does not require one on one care. He is 100% potty trained during the day and just requires a pull up for bedtime as he has not mastered holding overnight. I am thinking he will be mostly okay in the kids club but my biggest concerns with him are his speech delay, sometimes it can be a little hard to understand him. He is very self directed, so he may just want to keep to himself and play with something alone.

His twin sister just started walking in September. She is a very pleasant well behaved girl. Her class setting in school is 8 students, 1 teacher, 1 assistant ratio. The two main concerns I have for her, is that she is not fully potty trained. While she does go with me when I put her on the toilet, because she has verbal apraxia she is not able to communicate to me when she has to go so it has become a guessing game. I am still working with her everyday but it is likely she will still be in pull ups for this trip.
The other concern is that since she does have verbal apraxia she is mostly nonverbal. She does use some sign language and gestures to communicate but I don't know how well she will be understood by the staff.

I know on the website it says they must be fully potty trained to attend the programs, but i have also heard people reporting that in some cases the staff member will page parents when kids need to use bathroom or for parents to come back every 30 min or hour to check in and see if kid needs bathroom. Which i would be okay with doing if it meant my kids were able to have fun with other kids their age. Just looking to hear what other peoples experiences were like thanks

For the child in pull-ups, they will likely require you to return to the Club periodically (every 30-60 minutes) to check on her and take her to the restroom as needed. However, if she is unable to communicate her needs well enough to CMs (not just toileting), they may not allow her to be dropped off. I suggest you go to the open house on embarkation afternoon, speak with the CMs about your concerns and allow them to observe her. There may be youth CM staff training in sign language; staff change so no guarantee in advance. If she does not go to secured (drop-off) programming, you are welcome to take her to the open house times which are scheduled each day; children must be accompanied by an adult at those times so you would need to stay with her.

It sounds like your son should be fine. I wouldn't worry about his speech, as long as he is able to communicate his needs when necessary. Many little ones have somewhat garbled speech and they are used to helping the kids with pointing, gesturing, etc. when needed.

For the 3-yr-olds, I believe you have the option of putting one or both in the nursery as well. 3 is an "overlap" year and allowed at either space.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've see others say they gave their children that had speech issues a few notes that they could had the councils
"Please call my mom"
"I need to use the restroom"
Maybe this could help your kids.

Based on what I have experienced and heard about the clubs your 3 year old boy sounds like he'll be okay especially with the 5 year old there to help if need be. Most 3 years olds still have garbled speech so it will be nothing new for the counselors. Pointing and gesturing should help him a lot.

Your daughter on the other hand is a tricky situation. You said you put her on the potty. I believe CMs can not put kids on the potty and they can not clean them up if there is an accident. Some CMs if there aren't a lot of kids on the sailing will allow a 3 year old who isn't confidently potty trained try the club but they can always ask that a kid not come back if it is deemed to be too much. Don't fret though as you can always take her to play during open house hours and there always seem to be a ton of open house hours.

How is your 5 year old with your 3 year old girl? Is he able to "tune in" and help let people know what she wants? Of course he'll want to have fun on his own but if there was someone she knew she could go get like big brother or her twin maybe she'll flourish in the club and it'll all be ok.

I've see others say they gave their children that had speech issues a few notes that they could had the councils
"Please call my mom"
"I need to use the restroom"
Maybe this could help your kids.

your average 3 yo is not going o be able to read the notes to decide which one to hand over though.

But the 3 year old could maybe be able to discern pictures that are also on the note...so if "Please call my mom" has a picture of Mom and "I need to use the restroom" has a picture of a toilet.

Are her signs and gestures clear to anyone who understands sign language? Or are they clear to those who see her every day because they know what she is trying to say.

But the 3 year old could maybe be able to discern pictures that are also on the note...so if "Please call my mom" has a picture of Mom and "I need to use the restroom" has a picture of a toilet.

The restroom one wouldn't help though, as the CMs can't do anything involving the toilet

Don't send the 3 year olds to secure programming. The 5 year old will probably be fine. Go to open house with the twins so they can play, but I can tell you from our 2 DCL experiences on the Dream, the counselors, nice as they are, are simply NOT trained in dealing with kids with special needs, even if they claim they are. Our boys were 6 and 8 with autism, and our 6 year old has apraxia as well and there was a SERIOUS communication issue around a coloring craft that ended in a meltdown of epic proportions and my wave phone was not working when they tried to call me to pick him up. He is 10 now and still traumatized by that experience and will NOT ever go back to the kids club alone on a cruise ship. I felt horrible that he was crying hysterically for over 30 min and when I got there, no one was trying to help him at all. He nearly busted the gate trying to get to me when he saw me. He wanted to escape so badly...

Your 3 year olds will be overwhelmed in there. It is chaos at the best of times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter