• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani in the Time of Covid- a Dec 2020 TR- Complete

StayAwake

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! Welcome to my Trip Report for my first trip to Aulani. After a few stressful moments getting to Hawaii in this time of COVID, we had an absolutely wonderful time. Let's dive right in...

Who are we?

50734298477_d399582e2e_c.jpg

I'm V. Here are a few of my Disney Favs:
Favorite park: EPCOT (of my childhood)
Favorite snack: Dole Whip
Favorite movie: Mary Poppins
Disney parks traveled: DisneyWorld, Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea, Tokyo Disneyland

Along for the trip is my sister M. If you've read my most recent trip report, she's the Dopey runner. She also doesn't love having her photo in these trip reports, so here's the only photo you'll get of her this trip report, on our Stand-up Paddleboarding adventure:

50734192546_23345c7ecc_c.jpg

A few of her Disney Favs:
Favorite park: EPCOT (of her childhood)
Favorite snack: Dole Whip
Favorite movie: The Little Mermaid
Disney Parks/Properties traveled: DisneyWorld, Disneyland, Aulani, Disneyland Paris

Why Aulani?

I have been working from home since March of 2020 when the pandemic really started getting real in the US. I had 3 different trips in 2020 planned for after March which all had to be cancelled. My vacation time off balance was maxed out at work and I was, quite frankly, getting stir crazy and looking for any opportunity to go somewhere. I first started looking at Aruba, and then learned about Hawaii's program to allow travelers to avoid quarantine. Disney had announced they were reopening Aulani, so I texted my sister and asked her about Aulani, since I knew she had been there before. She reminded me that she had only gone on a tour during one day; she had never stayed there. "Wanna go with?" I asked. And a plan was formed.

What's the plan?

7 days, 6 nights (December 10-16) at Aulani, renting DVC points for a Standard Studio room. Touring the island on the weekend and staying at the resort on the weekdays. A few general ideas of where we wanted to go, but no firm fixed plans, as things were changing constantly in terms of what was open and closed.

Thanks for reading/following along!

Pre-Trip Testing Process

I know I covered this in some other threads, but to keep everything together, I thought I'd write out what we ended up doing for our pre-travel testing process.

My sister lives in the Washington DC area, and so luckily had an Urgent Care near her that was on the approved travel list and guaranteed same day turn-around on testing. She was able to make an appointment about 1 week in advance.

I wasn't that lucky. I live in the Minneapolis/St Paul area and the Urgent Care option wasn't available in Minnesota or any of the surrounding states. The only 24-hour turn around option was through Walgreens, but you weren't allowed to make an appointment more than 3 days in advance. I was very concerned that I wouldn't be able to get an appointment or they would run out of tests, so decided to use Vault as a back-up and send both tests through, hoping that one would come back in time. Vault was $150, while Walgreens didn't cost me anything and they didn't even request my insurance information. I was able to use my HSA dollars for the Vault test, and after the test was done, they did provide me information to file the claim with my insurance. I have submitted the claim but don't have a response back yet to know if it will be covered.

Luckily, both tests came through within the 72 hour timeframe, and both showed a negative result. Uploading them into the Safe Travels website was easy and the indicator flipped to Covid Negative almost immediately after uploading.

However, getting the QR code was a different story. 24 hours before leaving, I logged back into Safe Travels to complete my health questionnaire. It showed submitted, but there was no QR code. Not sure how long that would take, I texted my sister- she hadn't received a QR code either. I gave it 4 hours... still no code. I tried to go back into the questionnaire to see if I hadn't completed it correctly... no option to complete a second time, but a button to regenerate the QR code. Clicked it... nothing. Waited another 2 hours. Now I'm starting to stress out.

I finally find a phone number to call tech support for Safe Travels and they tell me that they are having issues with the QR code generation on that day, and to just go to the airport and they will clear it up at the airport. I text my sister the news and finish packing before settling in for an uneasy sleep. I have to leave for the airport at 5:30 am, so it will be an early morning.

12/10- Travel Day and Aulani Arrival!

4:30 am alarm isn't fun, but always better when it's for vacation instead of work! Hoping Hawaii Safe Travels IT has figured things out overnight, I try one more time, and finally, the QR code generates. I quickly turn on the printer and get a printed copy to add to my printed copy of my negative COVID test results, just in case. I text my sister who is already on her way to the airport, but she is able to get it on her smart phone. I breathe a giant sigh of relief. The trip is happening!

This was my first flight since February 2020, and I'm flying Delta, partly because MSP is the hub, and partly because they are still blocking people from sitting in middle seats. Checking luggage and TSA are a breeze- the airport feels empty. First flight is to Seattle and I would guess we have 25-30 people on the entire flight. I not only have no one sitting next to me, I have no one else in my row of 3 seats. Many rows are empty. I won't get so lucky on any of the other flights, but it was a nice way to ease back into flying. Flight Attendants explain changes including making sure to keep your mask on covering your nose & mouth during entire flight and only remove if eating/drinking and then immediately replace it. Also, if the oxygen masks descend, be sure to remove your face covering before putting on the oxygen mask.

Instead of the normal beverage/snack service, prepackaged snack bags are passed out. When I ask for another bottle of water, I'm given an entire additional snack bag. I love the cookies, so I'm not complaining.

After watching a movie and learning that crying and masks don't really work, we are landing in Seattle and getting ready to fly to Honolulu!

I grabbed a quick lunch (which I didn't take a picture of) and tried to find sparkling water to bring on the plane, since the snack bags were all we were going to be able to get, but apparently no one in Seattle drinks sparkling water?? I could only find Spindrift, which has juice added and I'm not a fan of, so I just resigned myself to plain water for the flight.

Landing in Honolulu, I was able to easily find the Ko Olina line which had no one in it, instead of standing in the regular line behind 30 or 40 people. Score! They let me know that there is an airport lounge reserved for people staying at Ko Olina resorts, and encouraged me to make a reservation if I wanted to use it on my return. We did check into it, but it closed at 9 pm, and our flights were at 10:45 pm and 11 pm, so it didn't end up working for us. Still, a nice perk!

On my way to baggage claim, I got a text from my sister- her flight from LA had landed early and she had arrived. We agreed to meet down in baggage claim and head to pick up the rental car together, instead of the original plan of me picking up the rental car and then driving around to pick her up which we made when we thought our flights would land 1 hour or more apart.

M is in the Navy Reserve, so our next stop was the Commissary to pick up some snacks and sparkling water/juice for the room, and the Package Store to pick up some alcohol. Prices were much better than those we saw at the Island Market across from Aulani, and we didn't check out a regular grocery store/COSTCO/Target, but realize this option won't work for everyone.

Finally, we were on our way to Aulani. Leaving all of our bags with bell services, we stepped into the beautiful lobby. Photos don't really do it justice, as those of you who've been there can likely attest.

Check-in went fairly quickly. We were instructed that we needed to log into Safe Travels and select the QR code from there, rather than use the one from email, so that they could verify the information during check-in. We were also told magic bands couldn't be used. My sister had forgotten hers, so it was no big deal, but after staying for the week I can see how handy they would have been. Other people we talked to later in the week were able to get their magic bands to be affiliated with their account, so it seems like it varies from CM to CM. We decided to head to Ulu Cafe to get some dinner before they closed, and then head to the room to have Bell Services bring our bags and get unpacked. It was already dark, so we didn't realize there were some seating areas not far from Ulu Cafe- and so decided to bring our food back to the room. Before that, we had to start the trip off right with these beauties:

Oh yeah! Dole Whip for the win! We ate these while waiting for our food. I got one of the pizzas and M got the pulled pork sandwich, which was the daily special.

The pizza was delicious, but I couldn't eat the whole thing. I ended up eating the last 2 slices on our last morning for breakfast. LOL. With that, we unpacked and crashed into bed. It was about 9 pm, so after midnight for both of us due to the time change and we were done!

Great trip report! I had to chime in as a Seattle native that flies a lot, if you happen to travel to SeaTac again and want a sparkling water: 2 options. Smart Water has a sparkling water readily available. The problem is it looks just like regular Smart Water bottles so you have to look thru them and find it. 2nd, there are small plastic bottles of Perier available, usually in the fridges that stock juices and sports drinks.

Great trip report! I had to chime in as a Seattle native that flies a lot, if you happen to travel to SeaTac again and want a sparkling water: 2 options. Smart Water has a sparkling water readily available. The problem is it looks just like regular Smart Water bottles so you have to look thru them and find it. 2nd, there are small plastic bottles of Perier available, usually in the fridges that stock juices and sports drinks.
Thanks for joining in!

Great tip about Smart Water- I didn't even think to look there. I didn't find any Perrier, but I maybe wasn't looking in the right places. There are so many places within airports that are closed right now due to COVID that being flexible really is the name of the game. And I got my sparkling water fix soon enough- we bought 4 - 8 packs of Bubly at the Commissary and between the two of us finished them all over the 7 days of our trip. :)

Thanks so much for creating this TR, it is making me feel like Hawaii travel might be possible again!
Thanks for joining in! Hawaii travel is possible- Flexibility is the name of the game! Getting the negative tests in time is very stressful, but if you can make it through that process, you should be good to go.

12/11- North Shore day!

I had learned from the boards here that starting on Fridays Aulani would be very busy with locals coming in for the weekend, so we decided to take advantage of our early wake-up (4:30 am!!) to head out of Ko Olina and hopefully away from where most people would be headed- up to the North Shore. But first, enjoying the sunrise on our balcony.

We were in room 657 in Ewa tower. This was absolutely a view of the conference center, but we were high enough that it felt like a mountain view, if we just looked over to our left side:

We hadn't asked the person we rented the point from for any special requests, so I don't know if they asked for a higher floor, or if we just got lucky. This was a really great room from a location perspective- only 2 doors down from Ice/Trash/Recycling rooms, and another few feet to the elevator, but very quiet! Apparently there was someone in the room next to ours, because they had the Room Occupied sign up all the time, but we never heard a peep through the connecting door.

Knowing that I wanted to try Leonard's Malasadas, but not wanting to drive in to Honolulu with everyone else going to work on a Friday morning, we settled on trying to find the food truck in Kapolei. The address attached to the map on the Leonard's website took us to the medical center building, so we drove around a while until we found it in the parking lot of the shopping mall where Safeway grocery store was, tucked behind the McDonalds.

They only had 6 flavors available: Original, Cinnamon Sugar, Li Hing, Custard filled, Chocolate filled, and Haupia (Coconut) filled. We knew we wanted to try one of each, and decided to get the dozen box so we could have leftovers for breakfast on other days. The person in the food truck told us to eat them while they were hot so we retired to the rental car for a taste test, and to get sugar ALL over the rental car as we split one of each flavor.

M & I both liked the Cinnamon Sugar and and the Haupia the best. I liked the sweet/sour of the Li Hing- we agreed it was a very difficult flavor to describe and you just needed to try it. The custard filled wasn't our fav- we only ended up eating half of that one together, and by the time we got to the chocolate filled... no more stomach space. The chocolate is a dark chocolate flavor- it reminded me of the chocolate within a chocolate croissant, except there was so much of it! After some conferring, we decided to swing back to Aulani to put the rest of them in our room, rather than have them in the car all day, so we quickly detoured back and then were on our way again.

H1 to the H2, then up the 99 past the Dole Plantation (which had a sign saying open on it as we drove past), up to Hale'iwa. We drove through the old town but nothing much was open yet, and so decided to stop at Hale'iwa beach park and do some exploring. I had been excited to see the painted logs as we were driving past the beach, so we walked back along the beach toward the old town to get a few pictures of them- some great messages, especially in the time of COVID:

We then turned our back on the town and made our way back to the car, then past the basketball courts and restroom area to wander through the rocky areas & tide pools that were part of Pua'ena Point Beach Park.

We spent an hour or so just exploring, wandering around the shoreline. It was actually quite fun to have no where in particular to be and be open to the adventure- although that is NOT my normal style of travel. Having gotten quite hot in the process, we decided we'd head back to old town Hale'iwa and see if we could find a cool, refreshing treat.

We were the first customers of the day at Matsumoto's for shave ice! M got the Matsumoto (lemon, pineapple, coconut) and I chose guava, lilikoi, and pina colada. The likiloi syrup was soooo good! Guava was delish, but I wasn't impressed with the pina colada flavor- it was mostly coconut and you couldn't really taste the pineapple. Still, it hit the spot and at $3.00 for the small size, the price was right.

12/11- North Shore Day part 2

We decided to keep driving down the North Shore, stopping as we were interested. We stopped at either Kawailoa or Kapaeloa beach to watch people surfing. There was this helpful notice for people like me who are NOT used to swimming where there are lots of tides/currents. Minnesota may be the land of 10,000+ lakes, but only 1 of them has substantial waves and it's Lake Superior which is too cold for swimming most of the time.

We talked about stopping at Waimea Valley and walking to the waterfall, but weren't that excited about paying to get in, so we kept on driving. We weren't allowed to stop at the Pipeline- there was a surf competition going on but it was barred to spectators due to COVID. You could watch online, so people back on the mainland could watch, but we, who were in Hawaii, couldn't. LOL. So we just kept driving. Ted's Bakery is currently closed, so we bypassed that traditional North Shore stop as well. We rounded the northeast corner and headed down to Kuhuku for lunch.

I had my heart set on Giovanni's- it was one of the only things I absolutely wanted to do, but before we got there, we saw the sign for Mike's Huli Huli Chicken. One of M's kids is addicted to the Food Network and Diner's, Drive-ins & Dives (or Triple D as it's called) and so I said we should pull off and see if we could find something to bring back for her. The sign by the road said Open, but when we got to the school bus, it was closed. Only open on Saturdays & Sundays currently. Oh well. We got back in the car and drove another block and a half or so for this deliciousness:

Oh yeah- that is the stuff! So garlicky, so buttery, so delicious! We had originally thought about getting 1 plate of scampi and 1 plate of lemon/butter and splitting them, but the smells coming from the food truck convinced us that 2 plates of scampi was the way to go!

This was the day that I was losing everything. I went to grab my wallet out of my backpack to pay, since M didn't bring cash along, and I couldn't find it! Super panic moment! I did find it- it had fallen out of my purse that was inside the backpack and to the bottom of the pack, but my heart was racing hard. Then later, after we ate, I went to get up to go to the bathroom, and couldn't find my mask. I had been wearing it from when we got out of the car to when the food came, so I knew it had to be somewhere, but couldn't find it. My sister reminded me I had bought another one at the macadamia nut farm across from Hale'iwa Beach Park, so I pulled that one out, but was super frustrated. Later, I found it tucked into a side pocket of my backpack- apparently to keep it safe. So safe I couldn't find it. LOL.

M then decided we should go to the far northwest corner of Oahu, so we drove back along the north shore to Waialua and then keep going west. We stopped at another north shore beach- maybe sunset beach? It was hard to tell, we just pulled off the road and wandered through the trees to get there.

We drove until the road ended at the start of the Ka'ena Point trail. I asked if she wanted to hike it- my PT had put me on a hiking moratorium since I am rehabbing a torn meniscus in my knee- but she said no, she was good to just hang out at the beach. So we sat on the beach and just enjoyed being outside on the beach in Hawaii.

We decided to head back to Aulani, with a quick stop at the Dole Plantation to try to find a knife to cut up the pineapple we bought at the Commissary. So of course, we had to have Dole Whips as big as your head!

We got back to Aulani and got our wristbands for some pool/hot tub action. We sat in the infinity hot tub and watched the sunset, then changed clothes for dinner at the Olelo Room.

The live music was the best part of eating here. The food was good, but a bit pricey for the portion size. It was pretty dark, so my food photos didn't turn out, but M had the Wings, and I had the Peking Duck Hand Rolls, then we split an order of the Shrimp Hand rolls.

It was probably around 7:30 or 8 and we were already tired, so we headed up to the room. I had brought an HDMI cable with a connector to my phone, so we could watch Disney+ on our room TV. We decided on Lilo & Stitch for the movie of the night, and watched it before turning in.

Looking back, we did a lot of driving and wandering and sitting on this day. But it was really fun! It was great to just go where the spirit took us.

Aloooooooo-ha "V" (aka StayAwake) -

Thank you so much for sharing photos and reviews of your trip to Aulani. My wife still wants to wait before we take any trips plus California is still in Shelter-in-Place. But at least we can enjoy memories of your trip!

Mahalo, Steve

Thank you for this report! Will be following along with the others :)
Thank you for following along!

Aloooooooo-ha "V" (aka StayAwake) -

Thank you so much for sharing photos and reviews of your trip to Aulani. My wife still wants to wait before we take any trips plus California is still in Shelter-in-Place. But at least we can enjoy memories of your trip!

Mahalo, Steve

Aloha Steve! Thanks for joining in. Totally understand it is a difficult decision to make to travel right now. Glad to hear that this can help you escape and daydream!

Mahalo.
Thanks for taking the time to share! Showed the photos with my kiddos and they're itching to go back to Hawaii!

Thanks for following! Totally understand- I'm itching to go back and it's only been 3 days since I got back. :rotfl2:

I’ll be there next week. Any tips on eating would be great!

Thanks for joining! Don't be afraid to explore places in Kapolei- it's only a 10 minute drive away and there are lots more choices at different price points. We enjoyed everything we had at Aulani, but you are paying the Hawaii upcharge plus the Disney upcharge. While we didn't love the malasadas after the first day (they were better hot and fresh), we spent $20 for a dozen, including the tip we gave. Between that and the fresh fruit we brought, we ate 5 breakfasts for 2 people for less than $40. The one time we ate breakfast out, we spent more than that on one meal (although we did order A LOT that day). So a stop at a grocery store for the fixings for a few quick meals will save a lot of $$.

12/12- Windward side

Both my sister and I had been to Oahu before and spent most of our time in Honolulu/Waikiki, so we were determined this trip to spend as little time there as possible. But when we learned just before we left that Hanauma Bay had reopened to limited guests, we decided we wanted to go. Due to my knee injury, and the fact that my sister isn't a SCUBA diver, I had previously decided not to go diving on this trip, but I did lug my booties/fins, mask & snorkel along, so the fact that Hanauma Bay wasn't renting equipment wasn't a problem. We tried to see if we could get a set of snorkel stuff for my sister from Aulani, but the shop was closed by the time we got there the day before, and there were signs indicating the equipment wasn't to be taken off the property, so the plan was for us to share, and one person would stay with our stuff, since locker rental wasn't available. The park was to open at 8 am, so we headed out around 7am, and were able to capture this shot from the car of Diamond Head as the sun was rising.

Having arrived too early, I grabbed a shot as we drove past down to a spot where we could turn around.

We headed back into Hawaii Kai and parked in a parking lot until 3 minutes to 8 am where we headed back up hoping to get a parking spot before they filled up for the day.

Unfortunately, the entire thing was a fail. We pulled onto the shoulder in the line that had gathered to get into the parking lot. From what we could see, a lot of people had apparently been parking in the neighborhood and hiking up to the entrance, so a long line of people standing had gathered. The rules said they were only letting 30 people into the park at the time, and apparently they were letting all the pedestrians in before allowing any cars in. We waited for about 25 minutes, staring at the Koko Crater Railway hike area, before the police arrived and forced everyone who was waiting on the shoulder to leave or they would be ticketed. We looked at each other and shrugged, and decided to give up. I didn't want to try to find a parking spot in the neighborhood and try to hike up to the top of the mountain where the park entrance is, due to my knee injury. So we decided to give up not just for the day, but for the trip. Oh well, another reason to come back to Oahu!

We then proceeded to make our way around to the Halona Blowhole. We didn't have a great time there either- the water just wasn't hitting correctly to have a big spout come out of the blowhole. But I did get a decent shot of a wave breaking against the wall.

From there, we headed up to Kailua and found a spot to park at Kailua Beach Park. This was an awesome beach! Soft sand, enough waves to be fun but not enough to be beyond my swimming skills. It was easy to while away the time here for a few hours. People were very respectful of setting their stuff at least 6 feet apart so we never felt concerned, even though we took our masks off for swimming and lying on the sand.

After a few hours, we decided to head back up to Kahuku and try Mike's Huli Chicken again and hope they were open; this time heading up the windward coast. We did stop at the Macadamia Nut Farm near Kualoa Ranch and pick up some treats, as well as stop at Kualoa Regional Park to take pictures with Mokoli'i (aka Chinaman's Hat).

We talked about doing a tour at Kualoa Ranch, but none of the times that were still left really worked for us, so we decided to pass. Instead, it was lunchtime!

Wow, was this chicken good! We ordered the half chicken meal and split it between the two of us, which was a great value- I think it was $13 or $14 instead of $11.50 for the quarter chicken meal. The chicken was incredibly tender, with a really strong smoky flavor. The dipping sauce wasn't too spicy and provided another layer of flavor. The rice & mac salad were disappointing, though. The rice was very dry and almost crunchy, and the mac salad had no flavor. Sorry Mike- the chicken may live in Flavortown, but the rice & mac salad should be evicted. We did get a bottle of sauce to bring home as a surprise present for M's youngest, and I can't wait to hear how she reacts!

We also drove over to Giovanni's and got another shrimp scampi plate. I paid extra for their mac salad, and it was loaded with flavor. Highly recommended! We talked about trying a different shrimp truck instead, but we had liked Giovanni's so much, we couldn't resist. At both food trucks, even though we were eating outside, we had to complete a form for contact tracing including our names, phone number, and address. This was also where we picked up some fruit from the fruit stand to use for other breakfasts during our stay.

From there, we headed back to Aulani for some pool time. This was the first time we were offered to get our band for the next day at the same time, since we were getting ours so late in the day. This was also when we tried to sign up for Make Your Own Mickey Ears and discovered that they were almost full for the weekend. We had a choice of going at 2 separate time slots on Sunday, essentially requiring us to stay at the resort all day, or wait until Wednesday when they had the next available classes, which was also our departure day. For social distancing purposes, only 4 people were allowed in each class. We decided to split up and do them on Sunday, so we would have a chance to wear them the rest of our stay. They were $25 for the standard ears, or $35 for those with lights. We both went for the ones with lights. They were also offering them as To-Go packages for those who couldn't make a time slot work, but you needed a glue gun to put them together, and I don't have one of those at home, and definitely didn't bring one along in my luggage. LOL.

We did enjoy the sunset!

We talked about what we should do for dinner, and M really wanted to go into Kapolei for dinner, so we changed into regular clothes and decided on Teddy's Bigger Burgers, because I was really craving a burger. It was dark when we got there and we ended up eating outside on the patio which didn't have good lighting, so I didn't get any food pictures, but we both ended up with the Hawaiian- a burger covered with Teriyaki sauce and topped with grilled pineapple. It was delicious! I thought it was similar to a 5 Guys or Smashburger in terms of burger quality and price.

After that, it was back to the room for the movie of the night. We chose Moana, and I managed to stay awake through "You're Welcome" and then was out.

So, day 2 was nothing like we planned, with the exception that we did hit the windward coast. But we had a great day. Even just the time to chat in the car was wonderful since we don't see each other in person very often. Which was good, because this was another day of a LOT of car time.

12/13- Aulani Day!

We had previously planned for this to be a sightseeing day, but as mentioned in the last post, this was our chance to Make Our Own Mickey Ears- one person at 11:30 and the other at 3:15, so it didn't make sense to go off property. It was Sunday, and when I headed down toward the pool at 7:45 am I got one of the last sets of 2 loungers that appeared to be open. Everyone had to stay at their chairs until after 8 am, otherwise your stuff got picked up and taken to lost and found.

I dragged all my snorkel gear and my GoPro down so that I could try snorkeling in the lagoon and feel better about having dragged all my gear to Hawaii & back since it takes up so much luggage space. The water in the lagoon was a nice temperature, and it was very calm, but the visibility wasn't that great, and there were almost no fish to see- only a few way out by where the buoys were. I swam back and forth 3 or 4 times and headed back into shore.

So instead I went over to Rainbow Reef and asked about how it worked and what was the Fish Feeding experience that was being advertised in the app? The Fish Feeding was done by standing on the edge of the reef and throwing the food in- that didn't seem like something I was interested in paying extra for. But the snorkeling in the reef- with no currents and guaranteed fish sightings? That was right up my alley! I decided to get the length of stay pass since it was $25 for one day or $45 for the whole rest of our stay. As long as I went on another day, the length of stay pass was a better value. I was told that I did have to wear a lifejacket, that there were no fins or even kicking allowed, but I was OK to use my own mask/snorkel and GoPros were allowed. It has been a while, so I'm still trying to figure out how to edit my video footage, but here are a few photos I took:

Menehune in this shot!

Fish feeding on food put between pieces of mesh

So many fish!

This was my favorite thing to do at the resort. People who say it's cold aren't wrong- I think it was the coldest water I swam in the entire trip, but I had such a blast and it was fun to keep going back. The CMs started to recognize me, (or at least the KT tape on my right leg supporting my knee) which was great fun. This wasn't my sister's thing so she didn't try it. They did punch my wristband to show I had access to the Reef- I'm not sure if the Mickey Head punch signified that I had the length of stay pass and they had a different punch for daily purchasers- I never had to show "proof" on the other days, I just asked for my punch and to sign the waiver and they did it- I didn't have to scan my room card or give my name/room number or anything.

Tip: the Reef opens at 10 am and around 10:30 every day they fed the fish, so you could float in one spot near where the CMs were putting the food in the water and the fish would swarm towards you, and then swarm away from you, after the food. It was really cool!

I did go into the infinity edge hot tub to warm up. I can tell this is day 2 of my pigtail braids because my hair is starting to work its way out. Oh well.

I then wandered over by Mama's Snack Stop around 10:45 and hung out under the tree until 10:55 before being the first in line before it opened. That was one good thing about changing our plan and staying at Aulani on Sunday... Mama's was only open Friday- Sunday and so we would have missed it if we'd gone out exploring.

I got the Coconut Shrimp & Fries and so did my sister.

They asked what dipping sauces I wanted and none of them really seemed to work with coconut shrimp, but I got tartar sauce and cocktail sauce and ended up using them for my fries. I really liked the fries, although M had enjoyed the fries at Teddy's the night before more than these. But only 4 shrimp for the price was a little disappointing- I think it was $14- and we had paid $12 for a plateful of shrimp at Giovanni's.

I also splurged on the pineapple/mac nut cupcake

The decorations were so cute but so sugary!! I had to scrape some of them off and throw them away- it was just too sweet. But the cupcake... oh boy... it was like eating the pineapple mac nut pancakes at Kona Cafe at WDW. So yummy!!

M went off to make her Mickey Ears, and I chilled by the pool and read, with an occasional dip or trip around the lazy river to cool off. After she got back, but before I went off to my session, we split a Mickey Shave Ice of Mango, Pineapple, and Strawberry. You can tell how warm it was because I walked from the Shave Ice Stand to my pool lounger and took a picture, and it had already started melting.

Around 2:30 or so the pool deck started to empty out as local families were packing up and heading home. M headed to the waterslides (both sides were open at the same time) and I headed off to make my own Mickey ears!

When we signed up, we were asked to choose the color ears/lights (if you chose lights) and then pick out our 5 items that we could use. Greenery was additional and didn't count towards our 5 items. They also gave you a packet of snowflakes that you could use, although I didn't end up using mine. You met at the community room, and then they took our group of 4 over to the convention center area where they had folding tables and chairs set up. The other part of my group was 3 women who were traveling together, so they put them at one table, and I got a table all to myself, to ensure proper social distancing. The CM gave us our things, and extra glue for the glue guns, and then had us go at it. I had picked a bow, which I thought needed to be in the middle, so I worked on a symmetrical design and then started gluing. The bow and the flowers took multiple attempts with the glue gun, but the greenery was much easier! It took about 30-45 minutes to complete.

We had reserved dinner at Makahiki at 5:30, so after I was done I grabbed my stuff from the pool lounger and went back to the room for a shower and to change into clothes for dinner, so my sister would have time for a shower as well.

When we got to Makahiki, we were seated in the outdoor seating area.

They asked us to keep our masks on until the food arrived and we were eating and drinking. They also mentioned we could go over to the waterfall area between Makahiki and the Olelo Room and take pictures without our masks on, as long as we stayed socially distant. So here's a slightly out of order picture so you can see the amazing ears I created for myself, along with a tiny bit of the dress I was wearing made from the same pattern of fabric as Lilo wears in Lilo & Stitch.

Makahiki was only open for dinner, and as a prix fixe menu, not a buffet. No word on when they will reopen for breakfast, although I did ask the CMs. We had to scan a QR code for the dinner menu- no physical menus.

I had the Caprese Salad.

I joked that this is one of the only times the last bite was a bite of cheese, not a bite of tomato. This was very good, and I appreciated the different types of tomatoes and their slightly different flavors.

M had the Caesar Salad.

Complete with anchovy. Not my thing, but she enjoyed it.

For main course, I had the shrimp pasta.

It was a little on the spicy side for me due to the amount of chili oil used, but I enjoyed every bite.

M had the salmon and she enjoyed it a lot.

We both had the roasted pineapple cobbler with mac nut streusel and vanilla gelato

This was my favorite part of the meal. It was just heavenly, and I loved the tiny Mickey Head on top of the gelato- just the perfect little Disney touch.

It's my first time at Aulani, so I can't compare this to how Makahiki was as a dinner buffet. The food was good but I think the price point is a little high compared to what you are getting, since the price didn't change at all from what it was pre-COVID. Non-alcoholic drinks were included and they were very good about bringing refills and providing excellent service to us.

So another enjoyable day comes to a close. Tonight's Disney+ selection was Ralph Breaks the Internet, which my sister hadn't seen yet. Best Disney Princess moments ever!

I'd like to close this installment with saying that my heart goes out to the people of Hawaii for the earthquakes and the eruption of Kilauea today. I was on the big island not too long after Kilauea stopped erupting the last time, and the devastation was immense and tragic. I am keeping all impacted in my thoughts, and I know many of you are as well.

12/14- Kailua

This update is basically going to be food pics and a bit of description. Hope you all can bear with me. :)

So one thing my sister really wanted to do was to spend some time exploring the more "rainforesty" parts of Oahu. We had talked about it before we left and I'd done some research on alltrails, and decided on a hike to Maunawili Falls. It was rated as medium difficulty, so seemed like I could do it. Then I got diagnosed with a torn meniscus in my knee and my Physical Therapist told me I shouldn't go hiking while on my trip. So we agreed that I would drive her to the trailhead and then come pick her up when she was done, and in the meantime, I'd go back to the beach! That way we both got to do something we wanted.

We decided we needed more than fresh fruit for breakfast. Since the trail was on the outskirts of Kailua, I looked at a bunch of delicious sounding restaurants for breakfast, and settled on Cinnamon's. Guava Chiffon pancakes??? I'm in!

It was Monday morning, so we decided to dawdle a bit getting ready to hopefully avoid most of the traffic headed into Honolulu for work. We made it to Kailua about 8:45 or so.

Here's some pictures I took from the H3 on the way to Kailua. Everyone who talks about the beauty of the H3 in this area isn't wrong. It made me think of Jurassic Park, so I started humming the theme song as we were driving, to break up the Christmas music marathon we listened to while driving around the island. It did rain while we were eating breakfast so we had nice weather for the rest of our plans.

A few tips if you're going to Cinnamon's: The restaurant is in a building where there is street parking on one side and a parking lot on the opposite side. The GPS took us to the street side, but they had signs up that dine-in needed to enter the building on the other side, so it took us a bit to figure out where the parking lot behind the building was. Also, you will need change to pay for the parking meters, either on the street or in the parking lot. When we went to put our name on the list, they were nice enough to change a couple of dollars for quarters so we could feed the meter.

This was also the only restaurant that we ate at that required 1) contact tracing form filled out 2) health questions answered 3) showing our QR code to prove we weren't subject to quarantine when we answered Yes, we had been outside of Hawaii in the last 14 days.

We had about a 20-25 minute wait, and then we were escorted to a table in the gazebo. The place was all decked out for Christmas and was super cute!

My sister got the coffee, and I got the homemade ginger ale.

This was really yummy. The lime added an interesting extra touch.

M went for a carb-fest with the Mac Nut Cinnamon Roll and a short stack of the Guava Chiffon pancakes:

Those pancakes were huge! The plate was a dinner plate size and they were as big as your head. I don't know who could possibly eat a full stack of them... but boy were they delicious. The sauce was sweet and just a tiny bit tangy- if you like guava, you will love these.

I also got a short stack of those pancakes, and a half order of the kalua pork eggs benedict:

This was also delicious, and a nice savory component to pair with the sweet pancakes.

We totally over-ordered; we could have split a short stack of pancakes and been OK. I managed 3/4 of mine, and M only ate half of hers. But the server was so nice and told us that she had charged us for 1 full stack split onto 2 plates, instead of 2 short stacks, which saved us $9.00 or so. We made sure to give an extra good tip for her thoughtfulness.

M told me that I'm never allowed to pick a restaurant again, cause I keep picking good ones that she has nothing to complain about. Ahh- sisterly love. LOL.

We had each been having intermittent issues with phone signals, although since we have different carriers, we were having them at different times. I wanted us to have a meeting time, just in case, so we spent a few minutes reading people's reviews on All Trails and the general consensus was people were taking 3-4 hours to do the hike, although a couple of people had done it in 2 hours. So as we drove to the trailhead, we estimated that she would start around 10:30 and so I would come back to get her at 1 pm, and at 30 minute intervals afterwards, unless I heard from her before hand. Even though the trail started at the end of a residential neighborhood, it still felt like we were driving into the jungle as we headed there. Tip: There isn't parking at the trailhead; you have to park in the neighborhood and walk down to the trailhead if someone isn't dropping you off.

I drove back to Kailua beach park, where we had gone on Saturday. It was a really nice beach with a reasonable amount of parking and a bathroom area, so it was perfect! I lost track of time in the waves, and when I finally thought to myself "I should get out and read for a while to start drying off before I have to go pick up M", I had no idea what time it was. Getting to my towel/beach bag, I pulled out my phone to check: it was 12:15 and my sister had texted me at 12:08 saying "I think I'm about 20 minutes out from the trailhead so you can come pick me up whenever."

So much for laying out to read and dry off for a bit! I grabbed everything and hurried to the car and back up to the trailhead to pick her up. It was perfect timing- I literally drove up to the trailhead as she was walking up. It was just after 12:30- Almost 2 hours exactly!

She said it was a great hike- very muddy (as expected) but not buggy (which was expected). Jumping into the pool where the waterfall was had been cold but very refreshing and she had really enjoyed it. I asked if it had been busy, and she said she thought there had been 20-30 people she had passed or had passed her. She also said it was a good decision that I didn't go due to the slipperiness of the trail and some very large steps that I would have had to navigate with my bad knee.

I asked what she wanted to do next and she said "Can we go back to that beach from Saturday so I can rinse off and relax?" Sure! So back we headed.

We spent another couple hours there, and then decided we wanted to head back to Aulani before the traffic from people heading home got too bad, so we left around 2:30 and headed back across the island.

I know we went to the pool, because we got a wristband everyday (except the first one where we didn't arrive until dinnertime) but I didn't take any photos.

Then, what to do for dinner? I suggested Off the Hook, but M said she really wanted to go back into Kapolei and try the Ramen place that was near Teddy's Bigger Burgers. Sure, why not? So we got dressed and headed into town to try Ramen Bones.

We split an order of Gyoza

I had the Charsui Ramen

M had the Shrimp Ramen

She likes much spicier food than I do, and so ordered hers Mild Spice (whereas mine was no spice). That was plenty spicy for her tastes, so be aware. We both enjoyed this. It was quite filling but also light at the same time, which was nice after the heavy breakfast we had. There was no outdoor seating- only indoors, or you could carryout. They did have every other table blocked off to preserve social distancing. It was also nice to come back to the parking structure and have plenty of choices! On Saturday afternoon we had been directed to the outside parking area on level 1 because every spot in the ramp was full.

The Disney+ movie of the night was Noelle, starring Anna Kendrick. I hadn't seen it before, and although you could guess where the plot was going after the first 5 minutes or so, it was very cute and I did manage to stay awake through the whole movie, so that was a win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter