August W.I.S.H. Challenge - The Sunday of Summer

Thank you! Sometimes I feel in the minority, because I never actually intended to become a teacher...I trained as a librarian and hope to maybe still be one eventually, but life is weird. Right now, teaching is a paycheck and decent job stability at least :P

Hello all!
I'm Lindsey, a 30 year old Disney addict. A couple of years ago, I lost a substantial amount of weight and was down to what I would consider a healthy weight I felt good at. However, about a year and a half ago, we had a lot of personal upheaval, I went from working very part-time as an adjunct professor to teaching public school full time, and we also moved to Orlando to be close to Disney!

Since then, I've regained basically all the weight I had lost. I do still run, which is something I took up to help lose the weight initially, and had let slack a bit in the intervening years. I'm registered for the 2021 Disney Half Marathon (assuming it happens), and have done a Disney race every year since I started running, but can't say I trained well for my last two since moving to Orlando.

My biggest issue is commitment and time management. Since we moved, I also got a second part-time job at Disney, which I was hoping to parlay into something full time, but the pandemic has probably put that on hold. I'm currently furloughed from Disney and hoping I get called back sooner rather than later just for security with the company. However, school seems like it's going to be a big job this year, and we're theoretically starting face to face instruction August 21 (!).

Since I started working full time, I find it hard to give weight loss the same focus I was able to when I was working less. However, I know plenty of people are much busier than I am and make it work - so I'm wanting to get my focus back so I can lose these 30-ish pounds I've gained and get back to my healthier, happier weight.

We're currently on a bit of a working stay-cation before school begins (this is technically preplanning week), but I want to use this month to try and regain some of my healthy habits from my previous successful weight loss.

Focus for this month:
- Decide on a tracking method and work on getting in the habit of tracking (start w/ breakfast one week, then breakfast + lunch, etc.)
- create a list of healthy meals that are quick/easy for when work gets back to more "normal"
- keep my running streak and half plan going
:welcome:
I teach kindergarten in PA and keep telling my husband we should move to Florida so I can get a part time job at Disney. But he has a hard time with the heat. However, we have been talking about doing the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon. I would definitely need to train though!

It’s Topic Tuesday. Let’s share today.

My family eats a lot of chicken. We enjoy grilled BBQ chicken, pesto chicken, chicken stir fry, crockpot chicken and even chicken soup. But I feel like we’ve been in a rut of eating the same meals. So what is your favorite healthy chicken recipe? Could be a one dish meal or simply a marinade.

It’s Topic Tuesday...My family eats a lot of chicken. We enjoy grilled BBQ chicken, pesto chicken, chicken stir fry, crockpot chicken and even chicken soup. But I feel like we’ve been in a rut of eating the same meals. So what is your favorite healthy chicken recipe? Could be a one dish meal or simply a marinade.

I’m not much help, as we usually just throw it on the grill. Sometimes DH will do a big batch in a couple of different sauces, and I’ll use the leftovers in dishes throughout the week. One of my favorites is stuffed peppers:

I slice them in half so that both sides have flat-enough base, and start them upside down with a little water in the baking dish at 350. Meanwhile, I mix some of the cut-up chicken with cooked rice and whatever I have on hand that sounds good - mushrooms, leftover veggies, etc. and some sort of sauce - usually jarred pasta sauce, salsa, etc. Turn the peppers over, scoop the mixture in, sprinkle some cheese on top (whatever kind you like) and finish baking until the filling is warmed through and the peppers are as soft as you want them. (I think it usually takes about half an hour overall?)

@LindseyJo22

Hello all!
I'm Lindsey, a 30 year old Disney addict. A couple of years ago, I lost a substantial amount of weight and was down to what I would consider a healthy weight I felt good at. However, about a year and a half ago, we had a lot of personal upheaval, I went from working very part-time as an adjunct professor to teaching public school full time, and we also moved to Orlando to be close to Disney!

Since then, I've regained basically all the weight I had lost. I do still run, which is something I took up to help lose the weight initially, and had let slack a bit in the intervening years. I'm registered for the 2021 Disney Half Marathon (assuming it happens), and have done a Disney race every year since I started running, but can't say I trained well for my last two since moving to Orlando.

My biggest issue is commitment and time management. Since we moved, I also got a second part-time job at Disney, which I was hoping to parlay into something full time, but the pandemic has probably put that on hold. I'm currently furloughed from Disney and hoping I get called back sooner rather than later just for security with the company. However, school seems like it's going to be a big job this year, and we're theoretically starting face to face instruction August 21 (!).

Since I started working full time, I find it hard to give weight loss the same focus I was able to when I was working less. However, I know plenty of people are much busier than I am and make it work - so I'm wanting to get my focus back so I can lose these 30-ish pounds I've gained and get back to my healthier, happier weight.

We're currently on a bit of a working stay-cation before school begins (this is technically preplanning week), but I want to use this month to try and regain some of my healthy habits from my previous successful weight loss.

Focus for this month:
- Decide on a tracking method and work on getting in the habit of tracking (start w/ breakfast one week, then breakfast + lunch, etc.)
- create a list of healthy meals that are quick/easy for when work gets back to more "normal"
- keep my running streak and half plan going
Welcome!

I do eat a lot of chicken but probably can't offer up much inspiration, I'm not even inspired by my cooking.

I like to get the chicken breasts cut down into tenders and will cook several up at a time, just tossed into a frying pan with some olive oil and salt/pepper, then I have several different sauces to drizzle on, teriyaki, balsamic, mustard based BBQ and a new one of fig and onion. Some of the chicken gets shredded an used on little pizzas made with greek pitas.

https://www.recipetineats.com/greek-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki/

This is a new favorite-I haven’t made the gyros yet, but marinate boneless, skinless thighs and grill them or roast in a hot oven (400 degrees) for 25 minutes.
When I do chicken breasts, I mix 1/4 cup mayo (mine isn’t low fat, but 60 calories for 1T) and 2T grated Parmesan together. I spread it over two large ones and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

**I made a correction-my Mayo is 60 calories per one tablespoon, not two. Too many calories added for two chicken breasts, so I will try stretching it on four smaller ones.**

Last edited:
https://www.recipetineats.com/greek-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki/

This is a new favorite-I haven’t made the gyros yet, but marinate boneless, skinless thighs and grill them or roast in a hot oven (400 degrees) for 25 minutes.
When I do chicken breasts, I mix 1/4 cup mayo (mine isn’t low fat, but 60 calories for 2T) and 2T grated Parmesan together. I spread it over two large ones and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
That marinade sounds yummy! I'll have to give Gyro's a try.

I'm Linda from Oregon. I used to be active and lately I've been lurking. I'm 55 and used to be an empty nester. For the last year DH and I have been raising our niece's twins, 8 year old boy and girl. She went back to school and has one more year to go. Since March it hasn't been fun with them and of course DS2 was home from college so we were a full house! He now lives with his girlfriend and at the end of this month is scheduled to return to NYC for college. yup. I'm chewing my nails over that!

Sooo. I had been taking prilosec for years and ran out at the end of March. I decided that was my cue to stop. Now I'm searching for foods that won't upset my stomach. At times I think I may react to dairy products and gluten, and at times I think I don't. It's weird and I'm too lazy to do a truly scientific test on my eating. So for now I'm just avoiding lots of things.

I gave up chocolate and have been losing weight. I tell myself that that is a big enough sacrifice and to call it good!! So my motivation is to continue to have a calm tummy. I also may hit onederland very, very soon--huge motivator!

I don't have any brilliant chicken recipes, but you guys have great ideas!

I'm Linda from Oregon. I used to be active and lately I've been lurking. I'm 55 and used to be an empty nester. For the last year DH and I have been raising our niece's twins, 8 year old boy and girl. She went back to school and has one more year to go. Since March it hasn't been fun with them and of course DS2 was home from college so we were a full house! He now lives with his girlfriend and at the end of this month is scheduled to return to NYC for college. yup. I'm chewing my nails over that!

Sooo. I had been taking prilosec for years and ran out at the end of March. I decided that was my cue to stop. Now I'm searching for foods that won't upset my stomach. At times I think I may react to dairy products and gluten, and at times I think I don't. It's weird and I'm too lazy to do a truly scientific test on my eating. So for now I'm just avoiding lots of things.

I gave up chocolate and have been losing weight. I tell myself that that is a big enough sacrifice and to call it good!! So my motivation is to continue to have a calm tummy. I also may hit onederland very, very soon--huge motivator!

Welcome back!

View attachment 515704
It’s Topic Tuesday. Let’s share today.

My family eats a lot of chicken. We enjoy grilled BBQ chicken, pesto chicken, chicken stir fry, crockpot chicken and even chicken soup. But I feel like we’ve been in a rut of eating the same meals. So what is your favorite healthy chicken recipe? Could be a one dish meal or simply a marinade.
I would say BBQ chicken, because everybody in my family will eat it. I enjoy chicken wings, honey or hot...not too hot. I stay away from fried chicken for health reasons, but I remember loving Kentucky Fried Chicken..."finger lickin' good!" I love chicken pot pie or chicken made with cream of chicken soup, but DD won't eat it. She's a big fuss pot.

I spoke with my doctor today about the ADA form, and she may not be able to fill it out for me because of the legal ramifications. All of the patients in her practice are in the same position as me. She also said not to return to work without it...let's just wait and see because this situation is unprecedented. I haven't felt this helpless in a long time. Maybe she is hoping that the governor will come to his senses and just go to 100% remote learning. So tomorrow, after the hurricane and tornado warnings pass, I'm dropping the form off for her to look at. So, I'm in a holding pattern. The only thing left to do is PRAY.

In the meantime, we battened down the hatches and are hunkering down until the storm is over.

Ooh that gyros recipe sounds delicious. I love gyros - first had them at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz as a teenager (no movies on the beach this summer which may be my last summer just over the hill) and years ago found a Weight Watchers recipe but I like the idea that this uses chicken. Will have to try it. Unfortunately I have no chicken recipes to contribute.

I loved reading about everyone and getting to know more about you all. And welcome to the newcomers. I just started last month. Needed some motivation and these wonderful ladies gave it to me.

I am a 71 year old teacher in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is my 2nd career or I would be retired by now, but I really don't want to end on distance teaching. Ugh! I want Field Trips and Reading Groups and hands-on Math and Science experiments and singing and dancing. We have training starting tomorrow and the students start a week or so later in distance learning for at least the first trimester (our district wanted to start full in-person classes, face coverings optional K-2, but that got put on hold).

I will be married 49 years this fall. I have 1 son who is also a teacher, DDIL is a school OT, and 2 adorable grandchildren, 5 and 2, and 1 dog (we lost our sweet Minnie Mouse, my icon, in June). I have loved Disney all my life and so does my son and we have won DDIL over to the right side (DS proposed in the Castle in WDW and they got married at the DLH gazebo). So we are a Disney family. DH tags along (he used to be more fun!).

My goal this month is to get myself out of the obese category and down to "simply" overweight. I have to work really hard because the exercise will become more complicated once school starts. I was putting in 18 hour days last spring learning so many new skills.

Welcome! I can totally relate to the tummy upset stuff. I'm also sensitive to dairy and gluten but about a year ago discovered I'm actually allergic to lectin, which is in so many vegetables. It was a total fluke that I figured it out, but has made such a difference in my general health. Good luck with your sleuthing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter