August 2017 vs November 2017 - please help me decide.

I assume you will be taking your kids out of school if you go in November, so as a teacher, I would say go in August! It will be cheaper, the crowds aren't bad, and the kiddos won't be missing valuable instructional time! We went this past August and it was hot, but it certainly didn't ruin our trip! We got out early, came back to the resort for a break/to swim and went back for dinner and park time. We also had a great day at Typhoon Lagoon. It was a great August trip!

As a teacher and having 2 kids in school; one in high school and one in upper elementary school the only time we go is August. We love the extended hours of the parks. We start early, head back to our resort take a nap or swim (both some days) and then head back to a park around 6 for the rest of the night. This enables us to miss the heat of the day in the parks. We've also added the water parks to our trips and the boys love those as well. We might be in the minority but we love August.

November is a great time to go. It's still warm enough during the day and the decorations are out.

We go in August so the kids don't miss school. We go the third week because crowds are less. I am from Pennsylvania, so we are pretty accustomed to humidity, so it doesn't get to us too much. Plus, Disney is very good with how the handle lines for rides in the parks. I usually get free dining or a decent room discount that week, too!

Thank you all for the GREAT info! I have been to FL many times in the summer but I'm not sure we could handle the humidity/heat as a family. I think it would be too draining especially since we don't go every year. You have made choosing Nov easier!

I personally like seeing the different seasons so if you've never seen summer that might be a nice change for the next trip but it'll be what I call sterile/pure disney as it's not really decorated at all. November will be mostly what you remember as far as look. both should have pandora opened so that'll be new at AK for you..

The heat and humidity is a very valid concern here. I've done it a lot (and now live in it) but you do change what you do, how fast you can do it and generally need to cut the day short (usually with a longer mid day rest from it). I have described august as soul sucking.. It just drains you and to a certain degree the excitement of what your doing is lower. Of course when the only disney trips you know are in this, it impacts you differently and you know what november is like so that will be a negative vs your previous trip if you do pick it.

Is going a tiny bit earlier possible? I love halloween around disney and that will be a change you havent' experienced. I think MNSSHP is a much better ticketed party than MVMCP and you'll never forget trick or treating in magic kingdom and walking out with bags of candy.

If my kids weren't allergic to so much, they would love MNSSHP. But with their allergies, it just wouldn't work for the maximum happiness.

But Pandora would be nice to experience!

We are a Family of 4 with a 7 year old & a 5 year old.
I'm the father in a family of 4, with 2 kids in elementary school. We used to go in late October, pulling the kids from school for 4 or 5 days. Now we've switched to mid-August. I'd love to do October or November again, but it doesn't work our for anymore us due to kid activity schedules.

In our case, we switched mostly because of how many activities were missed, not so much the days at school. We usually went the weekend following Columbus day, going Saturday to Sunday for an 8 night trip. Between soccer, Sunday school, etc., the kids would miss nearly a month of activities by being off Columbus Day weekend, and away the next two weekends for our Disney trip.

If my kids weren't allergic to so much, they would love MNSSHP. But with their allergies, it just wouldn't work for the maximum happiness.

But Pandora would be nice to experience!

I'm the same way.. disney has you covered. They can trick or treat with a blue bag and get tokens at each stop. Just stop next to tony's on the way out the door and they will replace the tokens with treats or non-food items they can have. There is a chart of what they have so you can point out what it safe to give them. So the tokens gives them the trick or treat experience without dealing with "no you can't eat that".

Pandora is opening this summer so it should be there in nov to help you choose.

Also a few restaurants are seasonal as well as I think a few rides get pulled in off times. I don't think Nov is an off time, but they may pull a ride or two for refurb.

We are from Houston as well and try to avoid August. Heck, we try not to leave the house in August.

I have done one August trip and would only do it again if there was no other choice. We are a Thanksgiving Disney Family.

November. August is oppressively hot, and very rainy. We have gone in August, October, and December, and December was the only time where the weather was nice the whole time, the other two it rained a lot.

We've gone a couple of times in August and it was blazing hot both times. We went the third week of August and were pleasantly surprised at the "low" crowds. Apparently the locals go back to school at that time, so crowds are lower.
But the heat just made the afternoons miserable. We tried the cooling towels, and they helped some. But we decided that we will not go to WDW in August any more, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I'm the same way.. disney has you covered. They can trick or treat with a blue bag and get tokens at each stop. Just stop next to tony's on the way out the door and they will replace the tokens with treats or non-food items they can have. There is a chart of what they have so you can point out what it safe to give them. So the tokens gives them the trick or treat experience without dealing with "no you can't eat that".

This is great info! Thanks for sharing!

I have been to Disney three times in August...I should mention I lived in Houston for four years and have lived in Phoenix for 13 years. So I can take the heat...that being said. The last time we visited Disney was in November...and to be honest...we really enjoyed our trip. As some have mentioned...the weather in August can be absolutely draining.

We are going back to Disney this year...and we are going in November.

Me? November for sure. I have been in August and have had mixed experiences. I don't mind heat and humidity, but the last August trip was way outside of what I could manage. Not only did we have the triple digit heat and off the charts humidity, but the storms were horrible. Rolling thunderstorms that wnet on forever it seemed. I am no trooper, so the storms were a deal breaker. I dont mind rain, and expect it daily in August, but I am not fond of drowning in torrential storms that dont quit.

November is gorgeous, IMO. I also like DEcemebr, and given teh choice I woudl look at December.

I would choose November.
It's too humid and hot in August. You walk around dripping in sweat, and it's so uncomfortable.
If you go pretty hard core around the parks all day like I do....November is a much better choice.
This past November when I was there we had alot of cool days...cool enough for pants/jackets,
so watch the weather 7 days prior to heading to WDW.

I'm torn with when to book our trip for 2017. Our last trip (& only family trip) was in Nov 2014. And it was fabulous! The decorations, the weather & crowds (mostly) were wonderful!

We are looking at August 2017 (first or second week for 6 days) OR Nov 2017 (between the 5th & the 18th for 6 days only). Our schedules fit with August best but we are concerned about storms/hurricanes & the heat. We definitely enjoyed Nov especially the free dining that we got last time. I'm not sure if they will offer that again or not.

We are a Family of 4 with a 7 year old & a 5 year old. We don't nap & we are generally pretty hardcore in theme parks for a family with these ages. Of course, our pace is something our family enjoys.

What would you recommend? Pros/Cons?

I've been twice in August & 4 times early Nov.
Although I love Nov. for all it has to bring, Weather, decorations, F&W etc. August too is good as well. When we go the crowds are definitely manageable, but as everyone has stated, VERY HOT. :beach:--> :scared:. Hours are longer ( a plus+ ) both water parks are open. (Not sure if that's a factor or not) Mostly all the rides will be up n running.
Keep in mind though that you mentioned you'll be heading down in earlier August so, the southern schools will still be on summer break.
I personally would choose Nov. as well , but wouldn't hesitate to go go again in late summer. The T-storms are quick passers, and our touring plan & midday breaks help to combat the Extreme heat.

In the minority.. Aug all the way... Low crowds trump everything else for us.. Also we can stand the heat
True they'll be a lil lower than late June & all of July, but they definitely won't be low.. At least not until the 3rd & fourth week of August....The schools from Va. down will still be on their summer break... Once they're back you see a significant drop in the number of people down there.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter