• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

august 2013 codes for rental cars?

Been playing around with Hotwire and Priceline. Yesterday Hotwire was at $15.95 a day offsite - TPA (Tampa Airport). My dates are August 14th - August 22. Put a bid in at $14.00 with Priceline - Full size car. Was accepted.

So it is Hertz, Full-size 8 days for $186.00 total all taxes etc included. Not sure if it is a good deal, but I thought I would pass it on.

Hey, thanks for the tip. Just did the same on Priceline for end August rental. Put in a bid of $11/day and it was accepted. Should have tried $10!;):cool1:

At Disney!

A few posts ago, I reported that my Alamo rate changed between reservation and online checkin time. I brought the paperwork with me...they were very nice about it and refunded the difference plus a little. If that happens to you, be sure to print out your original confirmation.

Use the kiosk. At least 20-25 in counter line...probably half hour minimum. Kiosk...no wait at all.

Standard/full size row: almost all Altimas and Impalas, plus a Camry or two. I took an Altima...nice car! Also, there was one Mazda 5...minivan kinda. The Impalas were the older model, not the 2014 refresh. Sorry I didn't look at the other rows...

Hope you're all finding good rates for later in the month...keep looking!

At Disney!

A few posts ago, I reported that my Alamo rate changed between reservation and online checkin time. I brought the paperwork with me...they were very nice about it and refunded the difference plus a little. If that happens to you, be sure to print out your original confirmation.

Use the kiosk. At least 20-25 in counter line...probably half hour minimum. Kiosk...no wait at all.

Standard/full size row: almost all Altimas and Impalas, plus a Camry or two. I took an Altima...nice car! Also, there was one Mazda 5...minivan kinda. The Impalas were the older model, not the 2014 refresh. Sorry I didn't look at the other rows...

Thanks for the report! Did you have to stand in line somewhere to get the refund?

Have an awesome time!

Still holding at $184.40 for standard/fullsize Alamo for 8/16-8/24 using Insiders and VISA $30. Have seen ZERO movement up or down in well over a week (same with Dollar and National) which seems really strange to me since we are getting close now and usually it gets pretty volatile by now.

At Disney!

Hope there is a Mazda 5 next week when we get there...that's what I drive and it's a neat car..mini minivan!

puffkin, try Priceline.

We had a reservation for 8/22-9/1 (10 days) at around $16.99 per day. Total with all taxes and fees (which are high at MCO and will be the same no matter who you rent from) was around $282. I put in a bit on Priceline last night for $11 day which was immediately accepted by Budget. Total cost now with taxes and fees is $201.

puffkin, try Priceline.

We had a reservation for 8/22-9/1 (10 days) at around $16.99 per day. Total with all taxes and fees (which are high at MCO and will be the same no matter who you rent from) was around $282. I put in a bit on Priceline last night for $11 day which was immediately accepted by Budget. Total cost now with taxes and fees is $201.

I'll put in an insanely low bid with Priceline the day before our trip. I don't like to lock in this far out and I do like Alamo/National and will pay a small premium to use them. Its just strange that there has been zero movement for so long on all of them. I've never seen that before less than 2 weeks out.

We bit the bullet and secured a full size SUV yesterday for $319 with Alamo. We're just not sure we want any kind of worries with the KLM Flying Blue discount with National. Yet oh, it hurts to pay over $300 for the week for the vehicle we want :rolleyes2 . We could have done slightly better with Budget with their airmiles code and $35 off paperless coupon, but after a dreadful Budget experience in December, we are once bitten twice shy.

Okay, whining over. :rotfl:

Gina, I'm actually surprised you went this route, based on your prior post showing the email response you received regarding KLM. Did you make this decision to change because you didn't book through the citer.com website? Other than the fact that you didn't book through citer.com, I don't see anywhere where you (or I) violated any rules regarding using this rate code. Is not booking through cider.com a major violation that would invalidate your rate? (I'm not asking you directly, I'm just sorta wondering out loud). Hmmmm.

My rate using KLM with National for a mid-size SUV from 8/22-8/27 is $214 and includes full LDW insurance. My rate using Dollar for the same size SUV and same dates is $230, but without the LDW insurance. What to do, what to do???

our alamo rate dropped a little bit more for Aug 12-Aug 22 (one week plus 3 days.) All in for a mid size is 198. (Base rate for the week is 108, I then used the entertainment code and $15 off coupon.) i can live with that!

When using Priceline for car rentals do you have to go through the counter? Or if you get a company that has a kiosk are you able to enter your details online and use that?

Any disadvantages with Priceline, do they stick you with a high mileage car or something? I guess that may vary based on the location/company. Used Priceline before for hotels with good results but never for car rentals. Usually always able to get a good deal directly though the companies with codes and coupons but this year it's not looking good.

So far for my Tampa 15 day rental (Aug. 18 - Sept. 1st) the best rate I have is $450 (National Emerald Aisle KLM) and some other companies are now dropping to about the same (Budget Costco deal).

It looks like I can cut at least $100 by looking at Hotwire deals so I'm assuming Priceline I can save even more.

Gina, I'm actually surprised you went this route, based on your prior post showing the email response you received regarding KLM. Did you make this decision to change because you didn't book through the citer.com website? Other than the fact that you didn't book through citer.com, I don't see anywhere where you (or I) violated any rules regarding using this rate code. Is not booking through cider.com a major violation that would invalidate your rate? (I'm not asking you directly, I'm just sorta wondering out loud). Hmmmm.

My rate using KLM with National for a mid-size SUV from 8/22-8/27 is $214 and includes full LDW insurance. My rate using Dollar for the same size SUV and same dates is $230, but without the LDW insurance. What to do, what to do???

Yup, the bolded above is why.

Now......I am having (more) second thoughts. I am having a hard time swallowing the $319 with Alamo, when it will end up being $340 (or thereabouts) by the time exchange and the Visa conversion fee are added. I re-ran Budget again this morning (with the Airmiles code and a $30 off coupon), and its $278 CDN. So that's about a $60 savings, PLUS we earn Airmiles on our rental (about 20, I think). Now....we had a very poor Budget experience at Christmas, which is a real concern. And we don't get to pick our vehicle. But was our Christmas rental an anomaly? And is it worth an extra $60 to have the ability to pick the SUV? (both are standard SUV's so size should not be an issue).

And, of course, there's our National reservation at $245. That I'm so sure we'd be fine with, but because I'm the consummate worrier, I can't use with 100% confidence (99%, yes...but not 100).

I almost hate to say it, but I think I am going to strongly suggest to DH that we move forward with Budget (its a "pay now" rate), have it all taken care of in advance, then I can stop thinking and watching from now until we travel. He is working today so we can chat about it when he gets home at 8 tonight. We could play a lot of mini golf for an extra $60 savings :scratchin . We did really like Budget's Fastbreak program, so that's a definite point in its favour.

Alamo came down today. I have a full size on hold for Aug 19-30 using the insiders, visa and a coupon code for $219 US/$227 Cdn.

I was able to get a full-size at Budget today for 8/16-8/25 for $189 using Southwest RR code and $25 off coupon MUWZ032. I wanted the intermediate SUV but the cheapest I had for that was $350 at National. Family decided they wanted more money for churros so they'll deal with less space in the car.

Oh, for the love of Pete! :crazy2:

I thought I had finally decided to make the jump to Budget. Now Alamo is down to $299 for a standard SUV with the Insiders discount and the Visa coupon. That's a $20 drop today.

I have rebooked at the lower rate. Now to decide if we want to do the pay now with Budget for $278 or leave well enough alone :scratchin .

Canwego said:
Thanks for the report! Did you have to stand in line somewhere to get the refund?

Have an awesome time!

Thanks...have had a nice first day at Epcot...

No,I didn't stand in line. I just went up to the counter as I saw an Alamo employee, showed him my paperwork...he went and got a manager...only took a minute or two. Still got back to baggage claim before the bags.

KerriL said:
Hope there is a Mazda 5 next week when we get there...that's what I drive and it's a neat car..mini minivan!

I wouldn't count on it. It seemed kind of out of place on the full size row, but maybe they have more on the minivan row.

I have a minivan booked for just over $600 for two weeks starting later this week - are there any better coupons out there? This is through national.

I checked using what I think is the visa code and it was much higher.

Any help much appreciated.

Oh, for the love of Pete! :crazy2:

I thought I had finally decided to make the jump to Budget. Now Alamo is down to $299 for a standard SUV with the Insiders discount and the Visa coupon. That's a $20 drop today.

I have rebooked at the lower rate. Now to decide if we want to do the pay now with Budget for $278 or leave well enough alone :scratchin .

Gina, not sure if it matters, but the Alamo quote with insiders includes an additional driver. Budget does not. With the 2 being nearly equal I will pick Alamo because its only fair that DH and I share the driving. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter