• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Au revior...that's French for get out of here!" A Jan '13 AoA TR COMPLETE

After dinner, Cait really wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh. The line was too long to wait so we decided to grab fast passes. When the machine spit out two sets of tickets, we thought it was broken! Then, we looked at what it had given us and realized we got surprise FPs for Dumbo! :dumbo:

Even though we'd already ridden we were pumped! (In hind sight, I've heard of this happening to a couple DISers who traveled around the same time. Maybe they were drumming up some interest for the redone queue?)

We decided to wait for our Winnie the Pooh window to open and give away the Dumbo FPs. We kept trying to ask families with kids but no one was interested. We were a little bummed we couldn't directly pass the magic but we decided to leave the FP on the counter in the Storybook Circus bathrooms in hopes that someone picked them up and used them.

As we passed by Casey's splash zone, a PP photographer stopped us and snapped some pictures.

8953403281_49ce34fa4b.jpg

I like this one with the elephant trunk coming up behind us!

We went back and hopped on the Winnie the Pooh with a minimal wait thanks to our FPs.

We wandered back towards Frontierland (obviously making some stops in between that I can't remember) and decided it was there we'd watch MEP. It was a little shorter than I remembered and not quite as impressive but still fun.

As we were watching I kept an eye on the time and found it was creeping closer and closer to 8:00 when we were supposed to be in the AAA preferred viewing area to watch Wishes. As the parade was still passing us we started to walk through Liberty Square and towards Crystal Palace. At this point, the castle projection show had started and we still didn't know exactly where we were going. It was crowded and we were starting to consider giving up and stopping anywhere that was open to watch.

Let me say now that I'm SO GLAD we kept going and were able to make it to the viewing space. It was just to the right of the castle, across the street from Casey's. I had forgotten our admittance ticket but luckily they took our names and let us right in. We were able to sit, relax, and not be shoulder to shoulder with people which was a nice change.

Wishes is my favorite and definitely one of the most magical things Disney does (IMO.) That's why I decided to watch the show with my camera put away. Even though it was cold, and a little windy (so Tink didn't fly) it was awesome and I definitely teared up a little bit.

We sat for a while waiting for the park to clear out. As we started back down Main Street we stopped for the castle photos I'd wanted this morning.

8953401299_1a52b8976c.jpg

I'm happy we waited as I love the castle lit up! However, I'm a little bummed we caught the BRIGHT WHITE CM in the background.

8953400121_e157935e74.jpg

Oh well! Cropping him out wasn't too hard!

We mingled in and out of the shops as we waited for the crowds to pass. After an hour we headed out for the bus, planning to hop on and head right home. However, as we got closer to the bus lines, it became clear this was not going to happen.

As a preface, we had great luck with the transportation all trip. This was the first and only time I was dumbfounded by the Disney buses, and it really wasn't the fault of the transpo system.

The lines were a mob scene with peoples snaked all over the place. As we got closer to the AoA corral, we learned ALL these people were waiting for AoA. The whole AoA line was full, it ran all the way back towards the MK entrance and than folded back to the entrance of the AoA line. For those of you not familiar with the exact bus layout, this means the line was wrapped all the way down AND back.

We were literally dumbfounded. Where had all these people come from? The hotel hadn't seemed crowded at all.

The best course of action seemed to jump into the Pop line and walk across the lake. The family in front of us had the same idea and we ended up striking up a conversation with the Dmom, Ddad, and their older (and very chatty) DS. He was happy to tell us all about their trip, where they were from and how he got to miss school to be here! I think he embarrassed his parents with how much he talked because his dad tried to shush him a few times. We didn't mind, though! He was definitely entertaining!

The Pop bus was crowded and a lot of the families around us were doing the same thing as we did. The walk through Pop was neat (seeing as I've never stayed) and a nice flashback (no pun intended!) for DSis whose stayed there before.

The walk to AoA probably took about ten minutes but it was worth the time we'd saved waiting in that crazy line!

At the end of the day, I still am a huge proponent of Disney transportation. I think with all the suites, AoA absorbed crowds really well so it didn't seem as busy as it actually was. Additionally, Disney was running as many buses as possible and sometimes had two or three buses loading at MK to AoA at once. I suppose this might have been the hazard of staying at a new hotel!

After our little Pop adventure, we headed straight to bed. As much as we loved Disney, our commando days were starting to take their toll and we were pretty tired!

Next Update: Stormy skies and a nasty CM

Fun! How cool that Beast is at Be Our Guest for dinner. I guess that's really a small thing, but it just makes the place so much more real. Very cool that you were able to score some grey stuff. :thumbsup2

Uh oh a nasty CM is up next? Can't wait to read about that! Looks like you had a nice night at MK:)

What a great dinner at Be Our Guest! I'm hoping that we'll be able to snag an ADR for January.

The mob scene after Wishes is pretty horrendous which ever mode of Disney transportation one chooses but that line you described for AoA buses is pretty bad especially for an hour after.

Fun! How cool that Beast is at Be Our Guest for dinner. I guess that's really a small thing, but it just makes the place so much more real. Very cool that you were able to score some grey stuff. :thumbsup2

I hope they'll add it to the menu in the future so everyone can try it without a birthday white lie!

Uh oh a nasty CM is up next? Can't wait to read about that! Looks like you had a nice night at MK:)

We sure did! :thumbsup2

What a great dinner at Be Our Guest! I'm hoping that we'll be able to snag an ADR for January.

The mob scene after Wishes is pretty horrendous which ever mode of Disney transportation one chooses but that line you described for AoA buses is pretty bad especially for an hour after.

I agree- with that many people flooding out of the park the bus lines will be long. We were definitely expecting something more comparable to the Pop line, though!

Good thinking on your part, heading back to AOA through POP. I probably would have just went back into the Magic Kingdom to wait :) You're solution got you to bed earlier though! I still can't believe we stayed so long in the Magic Kingdom that there was NOBODY in the bus corral when we finally got there. We closed down Magic Kingdom!!!

Thank you for the great review of BoG! I am so excited to be taking my niece there for her 8th birthday! :goodvibes

Good thinking on your part, heading back to AOA through POP. I probably would have just went back into the Magic Kingdom to wait :) You're solution got you to bed earlier though! I still can't believe we stayed so long in the Magic Kingdom that there was NOBODY in the bus corral when we finally got there. We closed down Magic Kingdom!!!

We were tired so the walk was a little long (and rough on the legs) but we figured it was better to be moving then standing!

Did you have a private bus ride? Hahaha! Perfect!

Thank you for the great review of BoG! I am so excited to be taking my niece there for her 8th birthday! :goodvibes

You're welcome! No doubt you guys will enjoy! :thumbsup2

At this point in our trip we were definitely getting tired. However, we were still in Disney and in our book, there is no sleeping-in in Disney!

We ate at AoA's food court before heading to our second day at DHS. As every good Disney fan does, we started off with a mad dash to TSMM. We rode twice- once with FPs and once without. Each wait was probably about twenty minutes.

This was my first time riding and it was a ton of fun! Definitely worth the wait/rush/craziness! :goodvibes

With that out of the way, we set out on another mission. DSis had been looking all week for a Disney sketch to buy (you know- the pencil ones with color that they sell in all the art shops?) After searching and searching she'd decided she wanted to have one hand drawn of Maximus from Tangled. After looking into the animator class (and deciding the line was too long) we went into the DHS art shop where she decided to talk to the artist.

Well- lemme tell ya- someone was NOT in the Disney spirit that morning (and I don't mean Cait!) This lady was a crab! :scared: Cait tried asking her about color suggestions and she was less then helpful. She pretty much stuffed a receipt in her hand and turned away from us. Not a very nice CM! :confused3

Though we were both a little miffed, we decided to keep moving and make our way to the other end of the park. We stopped for new PP pictures. I don't really like these, but my mom liked them a lot.

9017540165_f86752f14e.jpg

9017537625_ba561e5606.jpg

We grabbed FPs for ToT, jumped on Rockin' Rollercoaster and headed back to ToT. We had a brief cheerleader run-in when we decided to wait for a second ride of ToT but to our relief they were college cheerleaders (so they were obviously very well behaved :rotfl: )

It was starting to get cloudy so we made a beeline for Indiana Jones. There was a little time before the next showing so DSis rode Star Tours again. I waited for her and we went in and grabbed seats for the stunt show.

This was another first for me but I'm glad we stopped! It was a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend it. After the show got out we went back to Backlot Express to get more chicken nuggets for lunch!

After that it got sort of stormy and started to range. With ponchos on we decided it was time to say goodbye to DHS and make our way back to AoA.

Next update: “Why go to Europe when we get go to Disney instead?”

Before we start, I'll explain the chapter title. It isn't actually from our trip, but a conversation DSis and I had with someone a few weeks ago. We both agreed we had no desire to go to Europe and the other person couldn't understand why. Why go to Europe when we can go to Disney, see eleven countries, and Mickey Mouse in one park, we explained, haha! :rotfl2:

We spent about an hour at AoA waiting for the rain to clear up while we packed up a little bit. After it cleared we threw on some rain coats and made our way to Epcot for a night in World Showcase and dinner at Garden Grill!

We took a bit of an unconventional World Showcase touring plan by walking around the left side and skipping all the pavallions until Japan. That's where we started by wandering in the shops and watching Pick-A-Pearl. Not for me, personally, but it looked fun!

After Japan we wandered around Morracco and agreed it was one of the most colorful pavilions.

9018794062_4d93f4d25f.jpg

All of the stuff for sale in Morracco was beautiful. I couldn't really find anything I would have a good use for which was a little disappointing.

We saw Aladdin and Jasmine greeting people but decided not to wait and keep adventuring into France.

In France, Caitlin got some type of frozen, alocholic lemonade. I'm sure she'll chime in on that but I think she really liked it.

France was another one of my favorite pavilions. It was so quaint and small. One might call is a 'provincial' town, perhaps...? :rotfl:

Passing over the bridge toward the UK we stopped for more PP pictures.

9017535011_b18c7de20c.jpg

A trip to the UK wouldn't be complete without a stop at the phonebooths! As we were climbing in I explained to DSis that the numbers to the phones are commonly published and anyone can call them. Just as I was doing this, the phone rang! DSis wouldn't answer but I did! Shout out to the two girls in California who asked me how my vacation was going!

(Side note: I actually heard somewhere a month or two ago that these phones have been disconnected but the phones in Canada still work. I'm not positive if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me. In the 2-3 minutes I was in the booth for a picture, the phone rang three times. As fun as it is to talk to other people, it was also a little irritating that the phone wouldn't stop ringing!)

9017602949_e5d067d932.jpg

9017600351_bfa8ea2e85.jpg

After finishing up through Canada we made our way to our 7:00 ADR at Garden Grill!

Next update: Micky is mortified!

Great updates! I completely forgot about the Canada phone booth :(

It looks like you are having a fabulous time! Yay sisters :goodvibes

I did not know AAA had preferred viewing for Wishes. Do you have to book your trip through them or can you just be a member? Either way, that's pretty cool!

Oh man, that AoA bus situation awful. Taking the Pop bus was a great idea. Walking ten minutes seems like a much better solution. I love the Magic Kingdom, but it can be so hard to get back to your hotel some nights.

I love those artist sketches they have, but that's unfortunate that the CM was rude. :sad2: Was Caitlin able to get one though?

I'm with your mom those PP pics are great shots of you two! I love the leaf border on the close up.
I've heard that the phones have been disconnected as well :rolleyes:

I learned something new today about Epcot. There's a phone booth in Canada!?! Going to have to look for it on my trip in October!

Great pictures of the two of you at DHS. It's always a slight shock to the system when you do run into a not so friendly CM at Disney mostly because it doesn't happen as commonly as other amusement parks. They do exist though at Disney.

Great updates! I completely forgot about the Canada phone booth :(

It looks like you are having a fabulous time! Yay sisters :goodvibes

We did! Yay DISters! (As I've begun calling us, hahah!)

I did not know AAA had preferred viewing for Wishes. Do you have to book your trip through them or can you just be a member? Either way, that's pretty cool!

Oh man, that AoA bus situation awful. Taking the Pop bus was a great idea. Walking ten minutes seems like a much better solution. I love the Magic Kingdom, but it can be so hard to get back to your hotel some nights.

I love those artist sketches they have, but that's unfortunate that the CM was rude. :sad2: Was Caitlin able to get one though?

After doing a little researching it seems you need to book through AAA get be eligible to book the preferred seating area. If you're booking through them anyways, definitely take advantage of it!

She did get one! She got Maximus with light blue details. I'll see if she can post a picture :goodvibes

I'm with your mom those PP pics are great shots of you two! I love the leaf border on the close up.
I've heard that the phones have been disconnected as well :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Yeah- its fun that people could call but it seemed like they were ringing off the hook. Maybe the phone bill was too high? Long distance can be mighty pricey! :rotfl2:

I learned something new today about Epcot. There's a phone booth in Canada!?! Going to have to look for it on my trip in October!

Great pictures of the two of you at DHS. It's always a slight shock to the system when you do run into a not so friendly CM at Disney mostly because it doesn't happen as commonly as other amusement parks. They do exist though at Disney.

There is! Only one, I think, as opposed to the UK's two.

Yeah, I know I'm not chipper and happy all the time so I'm sure no one can be (even in Disney World.)

Awesome pics! :woohoo:

Thank you! :goodvibes

We arrived at Garden Grill about ten minutes before our ADR and ended up waiting until maybe 7:10 to be seated. We were in the upper tier of the circular, spinning dining room which we actually liked. This way we didn't feel totally exposed as our table was facing the Land side of the background.

As all the reviews say, you can't feel the restaurant actually spinning. It was more like we'd be talking, and then I'd look over and the scenery was totally different. Very cool!

The character interaction here was top notch! This was by far the best character meal of the trip!

Mickey was first to join us all decked out for the farm!

9017596939_7f6948f607.jpg

9018782220_f24f56befe.jpg

We were sitting at a four person table so he pulled up a seat like he was going to join us for dinner. As he reached across the table, he knocked over Cait's drink! He was mortified and quickly flagged a waiter over while apologizing profusely. We got a huge kick out of it and didn't really mind. It was definitely memorable!

Chip was next to visit!

9017590663_4d952c0531.jpg

He pointed out his brother Dale from across the restaurant and told us to watch out because he was crazy!

Dale came by and visited next! We told him Chip said he was crazy and he quickly stormed across the restaurant and yelled at Dale. We assured him we didn't think he was crazy, though!

9017587593_68df109b04.jpg

9017584927_0d36e97961.jpg

I love this picture because I've got no idea what we were laughing at but it shows how fun the meal ended up being!

Pluto came to visit last.

9017577915_a6cb8431d2.jpg

9017575859_8afd531fe0.jpg

Mickey stopped and scratched his ears for him!

I did say this was a meal, and I promise we did actually do some eating, haha!

9018768936_4254066eba.jpg

The food here was good. It was normal food (nothing super special or amazing) but it made for a solid meal. Overall, I'd be happy to return to Garden Grill on a future trip and would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a great character experience! Definitely ask for the top level, and try to pick a later dining time if your schedule allows.

I'll recap the rest of our night quick. At this point I really wasn't taking very many pictures as I'm sure you've noticed, haha!

We finished off the other side of World Showcase. With no regrets, we passed on Illuminations to visit Mexico and Norway and took the boat rides in both. Just as we passed the window to the outside on Maelstrom we caught sight of a big red firework from the show. Pretty cool!

At this point we'd run into EMH so only part of China, Germany and Italy were open so we breezed through quick and made it to the American Adventure where we used the bathrooms. I know- very adventurous.

We checked on the Test Track times on our way toward the front of the park but we decided it still wasn't worth the wait. Cait and I were talking today and decided we still have no regrets about passing on the new TT. Doesn't sound look its super special and justifies a 2 hour wait!

On our walk back, we started planning our Disney bucket list and decided that one thing we'd love to do is see the film's in every country. We also decided that we'd like to eventually ride EVERY attraction in Disney. We were kicking ourselves for not deciding this earlier because plenty of things had no wait this week and we could have jumped right on. Oh well! (Got anything good on your Disney bucket list, guys? I'd love to hear what you guys are dying to do!)

With a final stop in MouseGears for a set of shot glasses (DSis is a collector) we made our way back to AoA for our last night!

Next update: A Grand end to a great trip

Gaston sounds like a real piece of work! Too funny!

I would love to see all the rides on one trip, but I have found it to be nigh impossible as there is usually something in refurbishment. For example, I found out that if I took a trip in August, MuppetVision would be closed, which is tragic because I love the Muppets! :(

Gaston sounds like a real piece of work! Too funny!

I would love to see all the rides on one trip, but I have found it to be nigh impossible as there is usually something in refurbishment. For example, I found out that if I took a trip in August, MuppetVision would be closed, which is tragic because I love the Muppets! :(

That's a bummer because the Muppets are hilarious! I admit we passed on them this time around, but I can't wait to see it again. I especially wanna seek out the spare key!

Looks like the character interaction was great at Garden Grill!! The menu just doesn't appeal to me :(

I LOVE the idea of a Disney Bucket list!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter