Atmosphere Trumping Food (And Being Okay With It)

Mage of Disney

"We're all connected!"
I think it's interesting to hear people talk about restaurants they love to visit, not necessarily because the food is great, but because the atmosphere and themeing of the restaurant is top notch. The most popular examples are probably Cinderella's Royal Table and Chef Mickey's; sure, you can get a better breakfast almost anywhere else, but it's the fact that you're meeting the characters that outweigh the quality of the food.

For me personally, the 50's Prime Time Cafe is the perfect example; the food is okay to 'good but I can absolutely do better in Hollywood Studios', but the 50's aesthetics are everything to me. The staff is so friendly and they never break character, it's just too much fun.

So! The question and discussion I want to have is, which places do you eat at just for the atmosphere?

We haven't eaten there yet, but next trip we are going to kick off our trip at Biergarten and are mainly looking forward to it because of the fun, festive atmosphere! If the food is great, bonus!

:)

Be Our Guest - the food was decent (that was last year before the new menu) but I made a deliberate choice when planning my ADRs and I knew I was here for the theming. I went in with expectations so low regarding food that I was actually pleasantly surprised and the theming there is amazing so no regrets here.

On the other end of the spectrum, Sunshine Seasons is a restaurant I went to knowing the theming was going to be problematic for me but I was looking forward to the food. Well it managed to disappoint me - I felt I was eating in a cafeteria and I won't go back.

I am over the "atmosphere". Rain Forest is a prime example They apparently think that since they have thunderstorms we won't notice poor service etc... Uh Yeah. I am gone.

If you can't provide good food and service "cute" doesn't overcome that IMHO

I am over the "atmosphere". Rain Forest is a prime example They apparently think that since they have thunderstorms we won't notice poor service etc... Uh Yeah. I am gone.

If you can't provide good food and service "cute" doesn't overcome that IMHO

I don't think you are the target audience of this question. OP is asking who is going to a restaurant for atmosphere and aren't particularly worried about the food! :)

I really like this thread. It makes me think about our dining choices: food VS atmosphere.

We booked San Angel Inn and Coral Reef for the food and atmosphere. We found we loved the atmosphere but the food and service was so bad, the atmosphere was not enough to tip the scales to go back.

We love the atmosphere at Sci-Fi, Biergarden, Teppan Edo and T-Rex. We really enjoy the food here as well.

We go to Le Cellier and Chef's De France just because of the food. We really do not care at all about the atmosphere.

Sci Fi - the food can be a hit or a miss but it's so unique.
The Edison - we had an awful dining experience here but the place is so cool, we'll try it again for cocktails and entertainment.
Pinocchio Village Haus - the menu changes here more often than others ( or so it seems ) but it's a fun QS location so we stop in every trip.

At our favorites we love the food and atmosphere and luckily have had great service but others could eat at the same places and have a different opinion.

I ranked ours based on our experiences.
Best Food:
The Wave
Chefs de France

Best Atmosphere:
Beaches and Cream
Cinderella's Royal Table
Sci-fi Dine In

First time I went to Biergarten I felt like the buffet was a study in how many different ways to prepare potatoes, but I loved the totally immersive atmosphere and stage show, so I've been keeping it in my rotation.

Sci-Fi for us. My kids absolutely love it. This trip we're trying San Angel Inn, I know it's got an awful reputation, but the atmosphere looks awesome, I can't wait to go.

Sci-Fi for us. My kids absolutely love it. This trip we're trying San Angel Inn, I know it's got an awful reputation, but the atmosphere looks awesome, I can't wait to go.
We just ate at San angel inn two weeks ago and really liked our meal.

We kind of live by the philosophy that theme park food is what it is. You can always find better quality food for the same money outside of the parks, however that takes time out of the day. We’ve also done trips where we stayed in a timeshare and cooked roasts and chicken in a crockpot in the room. That said, I deliberately do not go to the fine dining/premier dining restaurants for that reason. I’ve done Cinderella’s Castle once, and Be Our Guest dinner (before the new menu) and I made a decision that I wasn’t going to spend so much on a meal that it will stress me out and ruin my vacation if it doesn’t live up to my expectations. So we eat a lot of QS meals. Last trip we did Liberty Tree Tavern and Sci Fi diner and I thought both were themed well and worth the cost and I’d do both again. We used to do Be Our Guest every trip for lunch because of the atmosphere and theming, but this last trip my crew decided they were done with it and would rather have different food over the theming.

San Angel Inn. The food is always meh, but the margaritas are divine, and we like to go from lunch to enjoy the "evening at midday" transformation. Plus, my kids love the volcano.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter