• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At what age do you stop taking kids out of school?

I think it depends on the kid but for us it will be high school (maybe a day or two then at most). My son is in sixth now and is missing 3.5 days in December. In fourth grade he missed a week and it was fine but he does well in school and we told his teacher well in advance.

UGG I have a trip for me and my youngest dd and now I am worried with all these responses. She is entering her Senior year and I was taking her out the 3rd week of Sept. Thought she would have enough time to catch up on her studies when she got back but now I am not so sure.
The stress of not being able to pick the right crayon, or say the alphabet has me thinking I am neglecting her. I hope Grade 1 is not as stressful as Senior Kindergarten.....

I never stopped taking me daughter out of school, even through high school. She was a 4.0+ student through middle and high school and extremely involved in clubs, activities, etc. I will say that I never took her out for more than 2 or 3 days in high school, and always planned the trip between important events (which wasn't easy).

Now that she is starting college in a few weeks I have planned our next trip around her 2-day fall break (along with the rest of the country, apparently). It will likely be our last trip to Disney for a while because of her college schedule. We don't like to go when it's hot or crowded so we are looking at other options for next year.

It is hard to suggest that people just go during a break when breaks often still have practices for sports or activities as well. A friend's DS (8th grade) will always have baseball during their spring break and during summer... so they are considering a trip at another time of year and pulling their kids out... otherwise they would never go anywhere any longer than a weekend.

It's up to the parents to decide if they take the kids out of school to go on a vacation. But, I always wonder way those same parents think that the teachers should be obligated to put together a school work package, or let the child make up the school work when they get back. Just a thought.

Speaking from years of experience, yes, parents absolutely expect that the teacher go out of their way to gather work together for when they pull their kids out for a vacation. And, if the teacher or school doesn't do this, it is the teacher and the school that are being uncooperative and unreasonable. All you have to do is go back and look through these responses to see that attitude. It never ceases to amaze me that parents expect teachers to take extra time of their own to accommodate their children's absences. You are taking time away from that teacher's family; why isn't that inconsiderate? If you would like to take your kid out of school for two weeks to go to Hawaii, or 10 days to go to WDW, that's fine, but don't expect the school or teacher to do extra work on their part because you are choosing not to participate in the lessons and activities at the time they occur.

I used to be a high school cheerleading coach and I made the girls sit out for missing practice for reasons other than illness or family emergency. I think I gave them one "freebie" but after that, it was 1 quarter sitting out for each practice missed. That was the policy of the coach before me and I carried it on.

We had voluntary practice in June and July before starting mandatory practice in August for football season, so it's not like I booked them solid for the whole summer with no opportunity to go anywhere. But missing practice affects the whole team (inability to practice certain stunts, etc.). It wouldn't have ever crossed my mind (or my parents' minds) to miss a mandatory practice when I was in high school!

Yes, when you are a part of a team and you miss practice, you are hurting the entire team. School sport seasons are typically short and have limited time to achieve whole-team season goals. Removing a member of that team, even for a short period of time, can significantly effect everyone. Being a part of a team includes commitment and responsibility. If you're want to take a week off in the middle of a twelve week season, that's great; enjoy your family time at Disney and don't go out for the team.

There are two things that stick out to me as I read these responses. While I am aware that the OP was asking to individual opinions, these thoughts have a cumulative effect. You are only thinking of your one child that is out of his 5th grade class for a week, for example. But in reality, when this attitude is pervasive, Jonny is gone for five days and Bella is gone for three of the same days and two the next week, and Sally will be gone for the next eight, while Billy will be gone for 5 in between. Jack will only miss four, and Cali will only miss three, but then Bobby will will miss seven. Then Chrissy and Aly will be gone for six, and Jenna and Susan missing for five. And all of their parents want the teacher to get work packets together ahead of time so they can keep up while their on vacation. And that's just February. All of he months look like this. And every parent will say their child is bright and getting all As and have no problem making up the work. Oh, and that teacher's job effectiveness, the school's rating, salaries, and sometimes employment are dependent on how all those kids that missed that school do on a standardized test. The stakes are much, much higher than your one child missing a few days for a vacation.

Of course it is your choice to take your kids out of school for a vacation. Of course family vacations are important. Of course many things can be learned on vacation. But just because those things are true, doesn't mean it the right thing to do.

Last edited:
And at the same time, many school districts (ours included) take random days off for teacher training/workshops, making the schedule really awkward for working parents. If, instead of one or two days off each month, those were consolidated into a longer week-long break at some point, there would be less incentive to pick another week.

My DD's spring break coincides with a busy time at work for me, so we are going during a week where there is one day off - so she will miss four days. She will be in second grade. I don't know how long we will pull her out, but I refuse to feel too bad about it.

I did take my son out of school for Disney vacations. Sometimes I didn't; it depended on the teachers. Most were receptive to it but a couple of times they weren't. If I got the vibe that the teacher would not be pleased, we didn't do it. Since we almost always went at the same time of year, I would ask his guidance counselor at the beginning of school what they thought. My son was honors and an easy study, but I would not go against the wishes of the teachers. Most of the time they would give me their blessing. With the exception of his early elementary school years (where they would give him a project to do such as keep a journal of what he was seeing/doing), he made up his work when he got back from vacation. If they gave me homework or lesson plans before we went, then fine, we did it. Same with his projects. We always set aside time to work on something practically every day. Back then we almost always went in September, and in the good old days it was almost never crowded, so breaks were not an unheard of occurrence.

We home-school and are 4 hours north of WDW in Fl with APs so we've gone a few times this year. But we school year round so it isn't a fair comparison to most school schedules.

When I was in school I traveled mostly with my grandparents who were both public school teachers; I went to a private school so our schedules didn't match a lot of the time. My school never batted an eye and seemed to be understanding. Looking back now I really appreciate that I was able to go so much as some of my best memories were from those times with my grandparents. I had some great teachers.

Speaking from years of experience, yes, parents absolutely expect that the teacher go out of their way to gather work together for when they pull their kids out for a vacation. And, if the teacher or school doesn't do this, it is the teacher and the school that are being uncooperative and unreasonable.

I don't expect the Teacher to drop everything and do what I need for my child at a minutes notice. I always give the teachers and school plenty of notice of an upcoming trip. That means weeks or even a month or two. I've always had great responses from all teachers and school officials to make things work.

I absolutely hate having to take my kids out of school for vacations. If I could find a way around it I wouldn't do it. It's stressful trying to make up work and it causes the teacher trouble having to get them a packet together. Unfortunately my stepson's custody arrangement is set up in a way where every time he's out of school for a holiday or any kind of break he's with his mother. I often shake my head wondering what was the judge thinking. Did he not consider giving us some non school time for a family vacation? Ugh! Anyway back on track. Every one has to look at their own situation and decide what's best for their family as to whether to take them out of school or not and what age to stop. Our oldest will be a freshman in high school this year and we are hoping for the best. We really have no choice but to take them out. Just make the decision on what is best for you and yours. Good luck.

I don't expect the Teacher to drop everything and do what I need for my child at a minutes notice. I always give the teachers and school plenty of notice of an upcoming trip. That means weeks or even a month or two. I've always had great responses from all teachers and school officials to make things work.

You don't...but many do. My husband taught high school physics for a decade. You'd be amazed at the number of "special snowflakes" out there.

Stopping by to let you know that your thread was chosen to be featured on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix! Thanks for getting this discussion going! :goodvibes

Wow. My anonymous handle is famous. Though I assure you I had no intent or desire to be flamed nor do I think I or anyone was. In fact this seemed to be a relatively respective sharing of various opinions on the subject, of which I've gained a lot of good insight. Thanks to the DIS for allowing such a discussion.

It never ceases to amaze me that parents expect teachers to take extra time of their own to accommodate their children's absences.

I'm always confused about this "extra time" thing; don't teachers already have a plan of action, so they are just doing what they were going to do, either beforehand or afterwards?

We homeschool so don't have to deal with all of this nonsense, and we were poor so I remember two vacations that we took, ever, and both during summer, BUT I never got the feeling that the teachers were reinventing the wheel each year. They had x on day x, y on day y, etc etc. To give a package to someone just means going into the files and making some copies. Er, Xeroxes. Er, mimeographs, if we go back far enough.

I gleefully (b/c I'm done with school) and sadly (b/c I was tortured by them) announce that I had pretty much all of the "about to burn out" teachers that existed at the time (and one "I'll have a nervous breakdown in front of my 5th grade class, leave school for what the students thought was forever, then come back to teach the SAME group of kids for 6th grade" teacher that we were still shuddering over at our 20th HS reunion), but even THEY could work out how to get a packet of homework to the kids lucky enough to go to Hawaii or Lake Tahoe.

It depends on your kid and situation. My son was never a great student, but we were going through a tough time. He was in 5th grade, and had an amazing but tough teacher. She wrote me a note after the trip that said he seemed much better and thought I made the right choice to vacation. Only you can decide, go with your gut

I'm always confused about this "extra time" thing; don't teachers already have a plan of action, so they are just doing what they were going to do, either beforehand or afterwards?

We homeschool so don't have to deal with all of this nonsense, and we were poor so I remember two vacations that we took, ever, and both during summer, BUT I never got the feeling that the teachers were reinventing the wheel each year. They had x on day x, y on day y, etc etc. To give a package to someone just means going into the files and making some copies. Er, Xeroxes. Er, mimeographs, if we go back far enough.

I gleefully (b/c I'm done with school) and sadly (b/c I was tortured by them) announce that I had pretty much all of the "about to burn out" teachers that existed at the time (and one "I'll have a nervous breakdown in front of my 5th grade class, leave school for what the students thought was forever, then come back to teach the SAME group of kids for 6th grade" teacher that we were still shuddering over at our 20th HS reunion), but even THEY could work out how to get a packet of homework to the kids lucky enough to go to Hawaii or Lake Tahoe.

Nope; in most cases this isn't how it's done at all. Much of today's learning in inquiry and project-based. It involves mini-lessons, followed by group work, often presenting what your group has learned or discovered, then challenging kids to infer and make connections either to other parts of learning or themselves in life, and being able to re-teach the big ideas to others. None of it is worksheets, and all of it would require extra work to come up with worksheets for a kid to make up work. Also, this make up work is nothing like what the learning in the classroom looks like because it can't be. (Unless of course that parents are willing to take 3 or more other students with them from their cohort so the groups could meet and an adult to facilitate).

Six.

We did take our son out of kindergarten for half a day to see the Christmas Show at Radio City. But other than that, we've never taken the kids out for any sort of a vacation. We go to WDW over the summer.

And for what it's worth, two consecutive math classes I teach don't get the exact same lesson, much less two consecutive years. How could they? There are different kids with different backgrounds at different levels of understanding with different questions. How could I successfully teach them the exact same way?

My planning for this school year means my own notes are in order. I have no idea which problems I'll do with which classes, because I don't know what they'll need me to emphasize. So, no, I can't give my kids a packet of anything a week ahead of time. I don't know exactly what I'll cover, or how, or what I'll be assigning.

I took our two boys out of school multiple times for vacation to WDW. When DH was in the military and dealing with deployments, etc. and with me working in the retail world we had to take our vacations when we could both be off. We generally took vacations back to visit family during summer or winter breaks so others could get off and spend time with us too. We're lucky that their teachers have been accommodating and they were able to make up work.

This past year we had a scare though. The district allows up to 10 days of excused absences per year (vacations can count as excused as long as there is an excuse from a parent). Going in to our March trip where DS would miss 5 days I thought he only had three absences as sick days. At the end of the school year we got a letter saying he had missed more than 10 days and wouldn't be passed to the next grade! I called the school and they said we just had to write an appeal letter and if they were for reasonable things they would override it. There were actually hundreds of letters sent out, and I was told that they are required to do it to prevent truancy. I had forgotten two days that DS had missed for band activities and one when he fractured his ankle. All were fine and he was passed on, but I definitely want to avoid this in the future! Unless we go to WDW with band this year or next, we aren't doing a family trip till after he graduates high school in 2018!

I had said we would not pull them out after elementary school and I'm contradicting myself next month. We are letting them miss 1.5 days prior to fall break when we head to Disney next month. I have a 4th and a 6th grader. We are driving so they know they will have to work on homework on the way down. Neither one's teacher had an issue with it and it's allowing us to enjoy the family time we were not able to take this summer due to my job.

Our district has done away with teacher work days, shortened the summer vacation and tightened the unexcused absence policy (only three and then there's a conference with the principal, five or more the school can turn you in for truancy).

The flip side is, now there is a week off in September, a whole week off for Thanksgiving in November, two full weeks off in December, a week off in February, spring break in April. School gets out right before Memorial Day and this year the first day of school was August 1.

A lot of parents hate it but I prefer it to random teacher work days that I have to scramble for child care, plus it gives us those weeks that most of the US is still in school for us to go on vacation. I don't know the stats but I believe this schedule has cut back on unexcused absences.

I would definitely take my daughter out of elementary school for a few days for vacation but with that schedule I don't feel the need to.

Also, this make up work is nothing like what the learning in the classroom looks like because it can't be.

Thats certainly is often the case across the nation but that doesn't mean teachers can't or shouldn't work with parents in a reasonable fashion to the benefit of the students themselves. Family time such as vacations is also VERY needed for a childs development and sometimes the only way is during the school year. When I was a kid I was able to travel abroad. All of my teachers had me do research on the school systems and classrooms of the countries I visited where possible and share what I learned with the classes upon return. It was a educational experience and a family vacation that couldn't be taught at my own school.

Later when we took our niece to Disney World her teachers had her interview CM's at each Epcot country to learn about each country and write reports and give presentations. Well worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter