• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At the park now, FP+ lines are snaking through the park

My DH says he would rather shovel the snow than wait in a FP+ line that he thought was suppose to be a minimal wait and was snaking around the park. At least you know what your getting into when you step out the door to shovel. ;)

I wonder if Disney seriously underestimated the FP+ utilization rate during a crowded time, and didn't reduce the number of FP slots accordingly. Their calculations must factor in a certain number of no-shows; if a family has 3 FPs during a slower period, they might not see the point in interrupting whatever they're doing to keep their "reservations," or they might leave the park with the tired kids like PP mentioned, missing their later FPs. So there might be an overall 80% redemption rate (completely made-up number.) But on a crowded day, seeing the SB lines, not getting onto many rides quickly, people may be much more likely to use their FPs, maybe up to 90-95% (again made-up numbers) putting an additional 10-15% in the FP lines that they didn't anticipate. Suddenly a ride that can accommodate 1000 FP users/hour, that released 1250 slots/hour, is seeing 1125-1175 people show up in the FP line. That's a problem. If so, Disney needs to rewrite their algorithms to take into account different behaviors for different crowd levels. And if the utilization rate goes up, the total number of FP slots released has to go down...

It's like when the airlines oversell a flight. Maybe they'll have CMs in the FP+ queue asking for volunteers to give up their FPs and return at a later time. J:rotfl:

jimmysmom74 said:
My DH says he would rather shovel the snow than wait in a FP+ line that he thought was suppose to be a minimal wait and was snaking around the park. At least you know what your getting into when you step out the door to shovel. ;)

Haha! =)

Original thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3067288

This quote is made up of parts of a report from President's Day Weekend 2013....hmmmm looks like the legacy FP entrances were backed up well past the standby line as well....imagine that...WDW was busy on a holiday weekend in 2013 and they were busy again on a holiday weekend in 2014. And both resulted in larger and longer than average FastPass return lines! :rolleyes1

That thread mentions two specific rides... both of which sometimes back the FP line up out the door even in slower seasons. TT especially. We were there in March last year, not spring break, not Mardi Gras, not the weeks around Easter, just that slow bit in very early March, and the FP return line was to the doors. That's just how it is because of the way they merge and load the design rooms. But to see that kind of line at BTMRR or Splash or Space? That's unheard of, no matter how much the FP+ cheerleaders would like to pretend otherwise.

A friend (and experienced Disney traveler, DVC owner, passholder) is down there this week and has posted some very, very negative things on FB, including a 40min FP+ line; interestingly, she mentioned that part of the problem was people seeing that long line and getting in it, thinking it was standby, so the CMs at the first checkpoint had to explain that it was the FP return, and sometimes what FP+ is and how to get them, to confused guests. I'm very interested to hear her take when I see her later this week because she's been relentlessly positive about FP+ and was just there in the fall so this isn't her first go-round with the new system.

Easy how? re-install a whole new set of Mickeys for every size and shape? Increasing the range of the RFID won't work- it would just start recognizing every MB within 10 feet, get confused and shut down. That's why they set it up like this in the first place and everyone has to contort. If they'd stuck with cards, you'd be on to something, but they didn't. Couple that with the complexity and lag time on the back-end, and we are where we are.....

There's a lot of room between "have to line the Mickeys up exactly" and "reading every MB within 10 feet". As it is, this system is terribly awkward for young children... and children make up a very large share of Disney guests. Even a few inches of wiggle room would make a world of difference, but in my experiences with my 5yo the margin of error right now is about 1/2" in any direction... and that means a lot of people needing to make multiple scan attempts.

That thread mentions two specific rides... both of which sometimes back the FP line up out the door even in slower seasons. TT especially. We were there in March last year, not spring break, not Mardi Gras, not the weeks around Easter, just that slow bit in very early March, and the FP return line was to the doors. That's just how it is because of the way they merge and load the design rooms. But to see that kind of line at BTMRR or Splash or Space? That's unheard of, no matter how much the FP+ cheerleaders would like to pretend otherwise.

A friend (and experienced Disney traveler, DVC owner, passholder) is down there this week and has posted some very, very negative things on FB, including a 40min FP+ line; interestingly, she mentioned that part of the problem was people seeing that long line and getting in it, thinking it was standby, so the CMs at the first checkpoint had to explain that it was the FP return, and sometimes what FP+ is and how to get them, to confused guests. I'm very interested to hear her take when I see her later this week because she's been relentlessly positive about FP+ and was just there in the fall so this isn't her first go-round with the new system.

I wonder how much the giant billboards that state "FP Line Begins Here" is going to add to their cost overrun? But a giant billboard is cheaper than paying a CM to stand there with a sign. Mmmmmm....progress.

I wonder how much the giant billboards that state "FP Line Begins Here" is going to add to their cost overrun? But a giant billboard is cheaper than paying a CM to stand there with a sign. Mmmmmm....progress.

I think we've discovered the reason they let the Zitti sisters and PUSH go -- They're planning a new show revolving around a new character: FastPass+ Queue Line Joe.

Never for me. Not on 4th of July, not during a Friday night at food and wine, not during June Star Wars weekends at DHS, not Memorial Day, not Father's Day, never.

I do not like my Magic Band, I do not like them Sam I AM. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

So I have been twice with MB, both trips just myself and my husband. Didn't really use FP+ as we had other goals on those trips, but did find our selves not riding as many things as standby waits were definitely higher for things like HM and POTC that we could normally walk on and the tier system-well don't get me started. Will be doing the first trip during a super busy time in April with the kids. I am worried about this and our ability to see what we want to see efficently. The ONLY benefit I can see for us with MB right now is not having to be at DHS 30 min before opening and then joining the stampede in order to ride TSMM at a reasonable time.

What we will be missing though is our ability to get 5,6,7 or more FP, be able to get them for multiple E-tix attractions, be able to get one more than once for an attraction, be able to park hop and get FP, and on and on. And before you start I have done Easter week AND Thanksgiving week AND Fourth of July many times before and we never wait more than 30 minutes for anything and never feel we did not ride and experience what we wanted to. I am not so sure I will be able to say that for our upcoming trip.

Did I mention no park hopping? :confused3 Isn't this add on a big money maker for Disney?

Dear lord. I'm sorry but no. That is not in anyway a Fast Pass.

OMG, these pictures are HORRIBLE. I don't see how anyone can continue to fool themselves into thinking this new FP system can handle big crowds. These pictures prove it simply cannot.

Star Tours NEVER used to have any kind of a FP wait line. NEVER, in all of the 7 trips I've made to WDW. And the line for BTMRR is so far back that the camera couldn't even capture the mountain itself.

This President's Day weekend was one of the first big tests of the full FP+ system on a very crowded weekend and it failed, MISERABLY.

Imagine how much "FUN" and "MAGICAL" things will be during Spring Break and throughout the summer!!!!

I am more and more convinced that my next trip to WDW will definitely be my last. If I could cancel it without a monetary loss, I would do it right now.

Anyone who is willing to subject themselves to this horror is more than welcome to it. But I refuse to be subjected to this type of crap, all the while paying astronomical prices in order to do so.

The crazy thing is... There are no solutions. This whole problem is shortage of rides. By increasing the percentage of people using the system to 90%, they can now only further ration rides. There simply isn't enough capacity.

On top of that, they are taking their sweet time in creating more interactive standby lines.

This is quite a mess for peak season.

You are EXACTLY right. The very scary thing is - there are no solutions to this god-awful mess for the forseeable future. Disney created a monster - enticing more and more people to use FP+ - and this is the result.

To those who cling to the hope that Disney has some magic wand that they will ultimately wave to straighten this out, I say "don't hold your breath". And to those who preach, "But this is still a "test", you need to get your heads out of the sand. "This" is the reality one will face at a busy time in the parks from now on until Disney decides to build more rides to spread out the crowds. Anything short of that is not going to make the lines go away, period.

It is highly amusing to see Disney still refer to their system as "fast" anything. Right now, it's a joke and an insult to all park goers who spent a lot of money to be there.

After enduring a park experience like this, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to repeat it on a future vacation and pour even more $$ into Disney's coffers.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!!:wizard:

I've been saying this all along. Disney is a corporation whose #1, #2 and #3 goals is to make as much money as they can. And as long as they can hoodwink people into ponying up their cash, regardless of how much the park experience has deteriorated, they will be doing their job for their stockholders.

They don't care about you as an individual guest, only about the bottom line. So if you're inclined to put up with this and keep returning to be slapped in the face over and over again, Disney will be delighted.

Those lines are making my stomach churn. Mostly, because Dr.Jekyll/Mr. Hyde insisted on coming along with our daughter and I, once again. It's a good thing that this is our last WDW trip, if the lines look like this over Spring Break, I'll never get him back anyway. In fact, FP+ reservations or no, we may not get to ride anything anyway. There is NO WAY he will tolerate this. I may not even get him past the main entrance once he sees lines like this. :sad1:

All I can think, looking at those pictures, is "No wonder they're cutting back on parades; they need to keep the routes clear for FP+ lines!". :rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

It's like when the airlines oversell a flight. Maybe they'll have CMs in the FP+ queue asking for volunteers to give up their FPs and return at a later time. J:rotfl:

Oh! That is AWESOME! If I give up my one FP for now, do I get a bonus FP? :woohoo:

We are here now with 3 teenage girls and they are having better luck in the standby lines. Lines for fp+ were very bad through Monday. My husband and I on the other hand keep missing our fp+ times, and have ridden practically nothing. We are happy to be here (a lot of snow back home) but I have spent way too much time trying to associate tickets to the bands and scheduling rides just to miss them. In general the spontaneity is gone. Hopefully things will get better for our next trip.

I rented points so lord knows, I don't want the hassle of dealing with refunds, etc., but if this is still going on in May, I'm cancelling my trip. That is not a vacation and is EXACTLY what I was afraid was going to happen. If nothing else, it shows that the testing has failed - Bad!

I rented points so lord knows, I don't want the hassle of dealing with refunds, etc., but if this is still going on in May, I'm cancelling my trip. That is not a vacation and is EXACTLY what I was afraid was going to happen. If nothing else, it shows that the testing has failed - Bad!

You can always cancel your tickets or convert to water parks tix only and enjoy a resort vacation - most of the dvc Resorts are wonderful on their own!! Go on a fireworks cruise and enjoy the pools, golf - you won't loose your dvc deposit etc and you will enjoy the same things you could do at a different vacation destination!

They will have to remedy this. No idea how they will figure it out, but they cannot continue to have the back up at the FP+ entrance. Even if the actual wait is the same (or even less) than FP-, it causes crowding, walkway flow issues, and (worst for Disney) perception problem. It "feels" longer. Let alone that it's often hotter than all get out in the blazing sun, in the uncovered not-quite-at-the-FP-queue-yet area.

It's not random or simply because it is busy. The MB takes too long to use even when it goes well, plus the tech fails. The fails are not all user error. We've been with MBs, and it was substantially MDX fails and the time it takes to prove to CMs that we really did have FPs. Annoying at best. I never have to prove to my parking garage that my card works.

With all the problems they've been having with this new fastpass system, I wonder if it would be better to just get rid of it and go back to stand-by only. Seems like those lines are shorter. :lmao:

I'm sure Disney is well aware of the problems... it's just not something that can be fixed overnight. They're probably arguing about what they should do right now. I wish them luck. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter