Ask your San Diego questions here

Hi we hope to do 7 days Anaheim and 7 days San Diego next year and have been recommended the Handlery hotel for the SD part of the trip.l Do you know this hotel at all and if so what is it like?

Thanks

Sue

We just got our hotel confirmation for next week- we are at the Marriott Hotel & Marina for the convention, and at the Ramada/St. James Hotel for the night before... can anybody tell me anything good about the Spanish restaurants in the Gaslamp Qtr... we want to go Saturday night...

Bumping this back to the top in the hope someone from San Diego will see it.

Sue

I have never stayed at the Handelry, but I have been there for meetings. My impression of the public spaces and meeting rooms is that they look worn. The pool didn't look that impressive either. The location, however is wonderful.

Melissa

Has anyone used PRICELINE to get a 4 star hotel in San Dego ( La Jolla or Coronado) and how do you do it. I have never used PRICELINE and my biggest fear is getting stuck at some dirty out of the way place.

We have a loose schedule for San Diego ( Zoo & Sea World) so we can be as much as a 1/2 hour in driving distance. I am trying to save some money
this way. All tips & trade secrets appreciated. Thank you.

jewetts5 said:
Don't miss Point Loma Seafoods, which is an actual fish market, with a cafe-style restaurant counter which cooks amazing fresh fish to be consumed while seated at outdoor tables overlooking the harber. There is always a line out the door of this place! Price is reasonable, about $10 per person for food and drink, depending on what you order.
[SIZE=+0]Oh gosh, I was just thinking about Point Loma Seafoods yesterday! I had this craving for fresh fried clams, and I had the best clams there 2 years ago, so juicy and perfectly fried! Mmmm makes my mouth water... Heh.

BTW, those who need hotel help, if Priceline is a bit too scary and unknown for you, try http://www.betterbidding.com for Hotwire assistance. The experts there can help you pinpoint which hotel you'll get. You have to be careful to look at all the amenities EXACTLY though. Good luck![/SIZE]

Re-posting this and hoping for an answer:
We will be driving from Anaheim to San Diego (Th. mid-morning). Is there a route that will take us along the ocean? Even if it takes a little longer, I would love a coastline mini-trip! Also I would love to stop at La Jolla Coves for a couple of hours before driving to our hotel (probably in Mission Valley), checkin is not until 4:00. Is this doable? Thanks!

Has anyone ever stayed in the center Gaslamp Quarter? What's it like there and is it safe there? The accommodations are relatively inexpensive and I want to know if there is a reason why.
Thanks

MrsMud said:
Re-posting this and hoping for an answer:
We will be driving from Anaheim to San Diego (Th. mid-morning). Is there a route that will take us along the ocean? Even if it takes a little longer, I would love a coastline mini-trip! Also I would love to stop at La Jolla Coves for a couple of hours before driving to our hotel (probably in Mission Valley), checkin is not until 4:00. Is this doable? Thanks!

There is not really a way to stay along the coast all the way from Anaheim to San Diego. Just south of Anaheim you can go west on (someone from Orange help me out here) I think I22. You'll want to catch Interstate 1 then--the South Coast or Pacific Coast Highway. You should be able to take this--there will be lots of lights along the way going through small towns--all the way to Dana Point where you will need to rejoin I5. One of the issues is that there is a Marine Base just north of Oceanside. I love it because it has kept the native landscape in place.

Dana Point is a beautiful little city with nice beaches also.

RamblinRed said:
I am attending a conference at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort in May and will be bringing my family - wife, 2 kids (2 and 11).

Would love any feedback on the hotel as well as places my wife can take the kids while i'm at the conference. We will have a rental car.

Thanks
RamblinRed

I live down the street. It's absolutely beautiful. Aside from the obvious San Diego things to do like Sea World, LegoLand, the Zoo, etc. there's a private beach next to the bay for hotel guests. They have a kids club too (call and arrange activities for them). The ocean is just across the main road, Silver Strand State Beach, from there. There's also a nice walking and biking route (kind of a far walk). Another beach is behind Hotel Del Coronado. It's well maintained. Definitely stop in at Moo Time ice for cream in Coronado. We have a lot of playgrounds around here. There's one at Spreckles park where the Gazebo is in Coronado. Sometimes they have concerts there and the whole town brings their coolers and lawn chairs. It's a quaint little town. They can park at the landing at the end of town and take the ferry over to downtown and tour the various ships over there. There's also Seaport Village but it's a touristy thing. There are sooo many things to do here that I'd start with the hotel kid club staff to make suggestions and arrangements. They are very helpful and can tell you what special things are going on at the hotel during your stay. Sometimes they have an open kitchen type thing at night where the guests can, for a fee, go into their kitchen and get whatever they want from the fridge and their cooks will cook it for them. They have fireworks during special events like 4th of July (I get to see them from the backyard). They also have campfires during the summer and at night during the summer they show movies on the wall and the kids can swim and watch the movie. Sunday has a fantastic brunch buffet too. I hope this helps.

Hi,
We're flying into Lax around noon and driving to SD. I was thinking Rt 1 all the way. We're in no hurry and are looking for the most scenic drive. What do you think? Thanks,

mitymott:
I am bumping this back to page one for you. You might see post #50 just a few above this one, maybe it will help.

mitymott said:
Hi,
We're flying into Lax around noon and driving to SD. I was thinking Rt 1 all the way. We're in no hurry and are looking for the most scenic drive. What do you think? Thanks,

In places the 1 is beautiful, but the majority of the way it is just a large street with strip malls on either side, tons of traffic signals and hideously crowded with no ocean in sight. take the 405 south to the 5 south and save your sanity.

Melissa

mitymott said:
Hi,

As noted above, you really can't do this. Once you get to southern orange county -- a little south of Dana Point -- the PCH merges with the I-5 and you have to go inland and take the I-5. This is the stretch occupied by camp pendleton, in which traffic access is restricted for many miles to the highway.

If it were me, and I wanted a scenic ride, I would avoid the PCH north of orange county and into L.A. I would stay on the I-5 through camp pendleton and take the first exit once you hit Oceanside -- I believe it is Oceanside Harbor Drive. Take Oceanside Harbor Drive west until you hit the PCH and then just go south, through the towns of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Del Mar, and Solana Beach. You can hook back up at the interstate at La Jolla, or keep going south all the way past Mission beach and right into San Diego.

This is a great stretch of the PCH, and you'll be heading south so you're on the ocean side of the street.

We're (family of 5 with kids: 5, 6 and 8 yrs old) spending Aug 11th-Aug 14th in San Diego. Our flight arrives at 11:10am (which will feel like 2:10pm for us). We'd like to pick up our rental, have lunch somewhere and go to our hotel.

1) We need to pick a resort. It's tough because we have 5. I wouldn't necessarily mind squeezing into a room since our kids are small but I am stuck with abiding by max capacity rules. I'd really like to be on the beach because we have plans to sped our arrival day and 1 additional day enjoying the resort and beach. What is the best family beach? We like waves and boogy boarding but it can't be too rough. What resort/hotel would you recommend on that beach?

2) Where would you stop for lunch on the way to our hotel? What other places would you recommend for meals?

3) How many hours do you think we'll need for the Zoo? How many hours for LegoLand...we're willing to skip the evening fireworks because we'll be heading to our resort in Disneyland after we leave Legoland. Unless we flip the day we have planned for Legoland and the day we have planned for the zoo...

We're saving Sea World for another trip...
Any other tips?

Also...as for LA, we'd like to spend a few hours hitting a few tourist things (aside from Disney...we are staying onsite but have a car). With young kids, what would you recommend? I know they'd get a kick out of seeing some of the Stars on the Walk of Fame and we'd like to see the Hollywood sign.

Thanks...
Jess

I'm trying to chisel out some time in our vacation for Sea World. Is there a chance it can be done in one day? Are weekends terribly busy, like DL is? Can the SD Zoo be done in one day? Will it take an entire day?

And the big question--is there a chance that my DD can pet some animals at Sea World? (Please don't laugh--she's really serious about this! :flower: )

Yes your daughter can touch some animals. It has been about 2 years, but we touched dolphins, sting rays and held seastars. You can also buy fish to feed the dolphins, sea lions and the walrus.

Bumping this back up in my excitement since making my ressies today for the San Diego and Coronado leg of our trip. Since we're Loews Platinum and get great upgrades there I booked at Coronado Bay for 3 nights - we will do SeaWorld and the Zoo from there - and 1 day to relax. Then we'll move up to Coronado to Grand Pacific Palisades for 3 nights - we will do Legoland (of course!) and the Wild Animal Park - with another day to relax before heading back to LA for DL/CA.

If anyone who is local or has returned has any input/suggestions I would love to hear them - this trip will be just me and my little nephew (8) - my big kids are all too busy for vacations these days and he's the best travel partner ever - loves any/everything to do with animals (even attends our local 'zoo camp' in the summer). We'll have a rental car and eat pretty light/simply, but enjoy an occasional 'real' meal while on the road (yep, he's even great to dine with in the nicest of restaurants!).

I'm least informed about Grand Pacific Palisades - booked this mostly because the pool area looks great for kids and I need a back up place (DNeph who works in CA is trying to get me those nights discount at 4 Seasons Avaria, but won't know until 30 days out - and I certainly can't justify their reg rates when we'll be just as happy at 1/2 the cost). TIA for any input - so far the info/help on these boards is making our dream trip a reality! :smooth:

The timeshares at Grand Pacific Palisades near Legoland were great. My kids just loved the pool area. The rooms were spacious. They were "newer" and adding on at the time (2 year ago). The also have a Costco across the street. We loaded up on snack foods there for visits around town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter