Artist point

We just returned from a stay at Wilderness Lodge and dined at Artist Point.

It was our second dinner there and it was wonderful, almost as good as the first. Although, honestly, I think the first meal seemed better in my mind because it was just my wife and I and we could concentrate on each other and the food, whereas this trip we also had to contain our two young children (especially the 2-year old).

I had the buffalo - oredered medium, arrived a tad overcooked in my opinion but still very tasty. The mac and cheese was fantastic. My wife was not very impressed with the airline chicken. Also, the crab cake appetizer was wonderful as well. The cheese platter was also a nice app, but not as good as the crab cakes.

Overall, another great meal. I highly recommend Artist Point. It does seem to be a really underappreciated place to dine.

The adult Mac and Cheese at AP was one of the best (maybe THE best) food items we've had in all of WDW. However, we both thought the rest of the food was underwhelming. Overall Cali Grill and Flying Fish are much better. But, if you're intent on AP, get that mac and cheese!!! You won't regret it.

Used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but it changed around 3 years ago. Like I said, if they would at least bring back that original cobbler, I would go back even if nothing else changed! Too bad!

When you say the cobbler has come back to life, is this like the original cobbler or the newer one where they put just a little bit of fruit and some crumbs on a small saucer? The original one was huge and THE best dessert at WDW! I would return if they had that again....even if the rest of the meal was still mediocre!

when Iwas there this past December it was the little dish, I couldn't believe how they cut back, I remember that big dish, I guess that is a sign of the times

When I ate there this past Dec it was the newer smaller dish with alot fewer berries than what it used to have. It also didn't have the lemon drizzle the old one had. It was just OK--no where near as good as the original they had a few years ago. That used to be tied with the berry gratin Citiricos used to have as my two favorite desserts at WDW. Now they have both gone:mad:

Credit the new chef for AP's marvelous reanimation. He talked to us on Feb. 5 after my cousin mentioned her daughter had a peanut allergy. I told him that the butternut squash risotto with pork belly we had just devoured was the best recent addition to a Disney menu. He tested new desserts on us and didn't charge a dime.

As we walked out, I told him, "Listen, I know the Dining Plan puts a lot of pressure on you guys to streamline your menu. Resist as much as you can."

He smiled. "We're trying our best."

Well I never had the "original", but I had the last incarnation of it and it's improved from that. It's in a white ramekin thing, pretty sizable and it was like a super berry filled hot muffin with the ice cream on top. I can't imagine it being bigger to be honest with you, we were so full from the rest of the meal it was just the right size where you were pleasantly full, not "Omg honey DUCK! My button's gonna pop!"

We LOVED Artist Point!!!! The filet and salmon are both were amazing :goodvibes......and the food and service was excellent :thumbsup2.

I took my parents to WDW for Christmas and we stayed club level with DxDP so we could do several Signatures. My folks have never stayed on property nor had the eaten at any of the WDW TS restaurants.

We ate at these signatures
Narcoosee's
Artist Point
Flying Fish
Citricos

Their favorite and mine too was Artist Point. We had the best food and the best service.

We had 2 different salads and crab cakes for appetizers all were delicious. Mom and I had the buffalo dad had the venison. I substitued green beans for brussel sprouts with the buffalo.

I keep reading about the cobbler, but I have to say the best desert in all of the WDW is the Chocolate Terrine - with Amarena cherries and salted hazelnut brittle. I cannot explain how absolutely wonderful it was.

We have eaten at Artist Point twice and been very disapointed. I've had pork chops and steak and they have been tough as nails on both visits. Go to California Grill instead.

IF there is a new chef, there may be hope. For those who weren't there until the past couple of years, it used to be a wonderful restaurant. The original cobbler was a dessert that was their signature, and should have never been changed as it was very popular. It was actually too big for one person and was a large dessert even when shared. You couldn't stop eating it. The entrees used to be very good, too.

Hopefully, things are going to turn around there. When a new chef comes in, things can improve, but hopefully the dining plan won't put the kabosh on that, too.

We have a reservation for AP for this Friday night. I hope it is as good as everyone says and I'll post a review when we get back this weekend!

I really enjoyed our dinner at AP. I had the Buffalo Sirloin with macaroni & cheese and the brussel sprouts. My friend had a "hot pot" with crab and big prawns over rice with a lime dressing. Both were excellent! We skipped the appetizers (though many looked good) and had wine and two desserts instead. We got a chocolate thing (choc cake with choc shavings, choc crumbs, & choc ice cream) that was okay. But the cobbler was by far the better choice. I make a blueberry cake (look up Taste of Home Blueberry Cake cups, if you want the recipe) that is exactly like this, but the addtion of the fresh rasberries and the blackberry ice cream really improved it. I may have to serve my own this way from now on!

Our waiter was attentive and knowledgable. And with the exception on one fussy baby, the dining room was quite pleasant. And since we had sent our own children (17, 14, 14 & 7) off to Whispering Canyon Cafe, it was nice to enjoy a grown up meal in a more upscale setting.

Our Ratings of Artist Point: (rev 2/2/11)
. . . food price value: C+
. . . food quality: C+
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: C-
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: B+
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C+
. . . staff helpfulness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Artist Point was a highly respected and highly touted
eatery up to 2007. Since that time, it has changed and the food
quality and menu item uniqueness began to pale. They still have
some dishes that are particular to AP, but not as tasty or unique
as before. Even the huge berry cobbler dessert was downsized, as
it used to feed 2-3 people, not it barely feeds one. Artist Point
is still a good restaurant, but not superior, as it once was. As a
postscript, if you eat there, get a window table. The view of the
courtyard and lake are grand and romantic, versus just looking
at the rest of the dining room. Also, arrive early and have a drink
in the Territory Lounge. It is one of the better bars in WDW.

^Do you mean Artist Point or Artist Palette? If you mean Artist Point, I'd really like to hear why food quality is only a C+. We've found it to be one of the better signatures in terms of food.

If possible I've fallen in love with Artists Point even more than I was. Things seem to have changed back to the better, at least for the time being.

I had the buffalo and so did my friend, but we had different sides. We both ordered our steaks medium rare and they were perfect. She got the sides that were listed with the buffalo on the menu which were Black Diamond cheddar macaroni and cheese and apple cider glazed brussels sprouts. She said the sprouts were really good and she enjoyed the mac and cheese. I tasted it and it was ok, there's bacon in it and that's really all I could taste. I got the sides that usually come with the salmon which was marble potatoes (think smaller multicolored fingerlings) and what I believe was a leek, and the best sauce on the planet, Pinot Noir beurre rogue. Holy Crap. I'm usually a pretty plain eater, no sauces or gravies more often that not. This stuff was amazing, I dipped my meat in it, my potatoes in it, I asked for more bread just so I didn't leave a drop of it on the plate. I would have poured it over ice cream, given the opportunity. I had to resist asking for a to go bucket so I could put it on everything else I ate. Yes, it was that good :cloud9:. The cobbler has come back to life too. My friend got it and it comes with housemade blackberry ice cream. I had the apple torte with caramel and housemade vanilla ice cream. Best ice cream I've ever had, it was dense almost like a gelato, and very creamy. The flavor was out of this world. The cobbler was hot and very berry-y (?) and the ice cream just made it better. The apple torte was tart and the vanilla ice cream and caramel just made it better.

I'm a big steak eater. Does the Buffalo taste like beef??? I'd love to try it but am afraid I won't like it. How does it compare to beef steak??
Nancy :confused3

:love: Love this restaurant - best food of my last WDW trip. I had the tenderloin and my mom had the salmon - both fabulous - and we were on free dining plan. Totally worth 2 credits if you are on the dining plan IMO. Enjoy!

^Do you mean Artist Point or Artist Palette? If you mean Artist Point, I'd really like to hear why food quality is only a C+. We've found it to be one of the better signatures in terms of food.

1) Sorry for the confusion.
2) Although the food is tasty, the quality has diminished.
3) So, while not a overly positive review, certainly not a negative one.
4) I would say, overall, it is average or slightly above.
5) Since the chef change, the attention to detail has almost vanished.
6) The "line" cooks plate the food, but with no effort or sparkle.
7) For a signature eatery, one would/could/should expect
. . . great tasting food
. . . artfully presented
. . . impeccable service
. . . inviting and relaxing atmosphere
8) AP at times comes close, but doesn't meet or exceed these.

My friends and I are doing the D23 Scavenger Hunt in May and want to eat here, but are scared to make ADR b/c we don't know wait time we will he done with the hunt. Do you think it would be easy to just get a table or is this one of those places where you have to have an ADR?

We love Artists Point- the buffalo is fab. Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner there and were very pleased with the offerings. Beautiful atmosphere too. :thumbsup2

Another vote for Artist Point:banana: DH and I make it a point every time we visit the world to eat here. We are taking my Mom with us in a few weeks. One of the biggest reasons we enjoy this place is a server named Izzi. He is fantastic and makes your dining experience special.:cool1: If he is not available ask for Sean. He is also top notch. These two servers are very knowledgable when it comes to food and wine pairing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter