Are your kids banned from watching certain shows?

Sorry but children who hurt animals and siblings is no joke. I don't believe for one second that is TV induced.
You either no right from wrong or you don't.

Degrassi covers these real life issues in a very realistic way with real consequences for the characters. I think the early episodes of this show may be appropriate for your daughter because season one starts with the characters in grade 7. Of course you would watch them first as i am in no position to judge what is appropriate for someone elses child :). I am only commenting because i grew up with the old degrassi and have watched all the new series.
The daughter is 16 now not 11. This thread is 5 years old.

7/10 zombies are hooked on Spongebob. The other 3 are banned from watching anything but Barney.

Degrassi covers these real life issues in a very realistic way with real consequences for the characters. I think the early episodes of this show may be appropriate for your daughter because season one starts with the characters in grade 7. Of course you would watch them first as i am in no position to judge what is appropriate for someone elses child :). I am only commenting because i grew up with the old degrassi and have watched all the new series.
Since this thread is 5years old, I don't think the poster you quoted is as worried about her 16 year old.

It is not so much them getting into trouble, it is the how. Many of this shows have kids doing exactly what they know they are not supposed to do or what an adult just told them not to do. The show will start with the parent, teacher, authority figure telling them not to do something and then the kids go and do exactly what they were told not to do. It is the blatent disregard for their parents that I don't like. It is the plain sneaky behavior that I don't like. Doing something wrong is one thing, being sneaky and lying is another..

Because kids don't exhibit this behavior in real life? At one point or another every kid is going to do something he/she was specifically told not to do.

I don't see the point in banning shows. I loathe Caillou, but use it to talk to dd about his whining and how he talks to his mom and dad.

That being said, we only watch PBS and Disney. And we love the tween Disney shows. We don't watch Nickelodeon bc dd has never expressed interest and because every commercial they show is an advertisement. My nephew watches Nick and every time I am at his house all I hear is "I want that!"

I know this is an old thread, but I don't really censor a lot from my son. My parents tried to "ban" shows from me as a child and those were my favorite shows and I'd watch them any chance I got. Looking back on it, I mainly only liked those shows b/c my mom said I couldn't watch them. I couldn't careless about Beavis and Butthead or South Park if an episode were to come on.

My DD at 11 is allowed to watch pretty much whatever she wants, barring sex or horribly bloody violence. I don't think "banning" shows does any real good long term anyway. Teaching kids what is right and wrong about what they see is much more effective in teaching them appropriate choices than pretending things don't exist.

I ban Barney and Sponge Bob because they make my head hurt. We limit content for the 5 year old because there's a level of sex and violence that are simply not age appropriate. We're pretty permissive, but 5 is just barely out of being a baby.

I don't ban my kids from anything really. Barney was the only exception because I couldn't stand it. Oh and cailou or however you say it. What a little turd!

My kids loved zombie shows! It was so weird cause I was terrified when I was little. They loved zombieland and walking dead. Family guy, American dad. Really anything on cable tv is fair game. My kids are now 12, 8, and 8. They are awesome kids.

I think you just need to know your kids well enough to know they can handle certain shows. My kids have always been pretty level headed.

Added....I started reading the thread and realized it was old by the cartoons! Ed Edd and eddy? Chowder? Billy and Mandy? Are those still on? Lol

mine still watch cartoons only - banned shows include: Spongebob, caillou (nags too much!), and Phineas and Ferb

We don't ban things either, but if we did it would be because they are annoying! Half the time I laugh harder at the stuff on Gravity Falls and Adventure time than I do at regular shows.

DH and I were talking yesterday and we have decided to block certain kids shows that we think are in appropriate for our kids. To be honest we are just tired of all the "smart mouth" shows that are on tv these days! We don't allow our children to talk to each other or to us in this manner and here lately all they seem to be doing is quoting these shows. What
happened to the days of Full
House, Cosby Show, Tales From
Avonlea and the wholesome stuff
that I used to watch when I was
younger? Luckily I can DVR these
types of shows but I'm just curious
to know if any other parents block kid shows from their children and what those are.

Please no flames, this decision is what we fell is best for our children and by no means are we saying that others shouldn't allow their kids to watch them. Everyone should do what is best for their family and we feel this is best for ours.

So, what have you banned?

I wouldn't say "banned" but there are shows that I don't think are age appropriate yet so I just do not introduce them.
I don't like Sponge Bob (PERIOD), lol, so NO to him for sure. We stick to Disney Jr and Nick Jr (Paw Patrol, PJ Masks, Jake & Blaze are the current favorites).

gosh what an old thread!

We dont ban my five year old from watching anything. She picks whatever she wants on netflix and as long as its not strictly adult content, i dont care. I grew up not being able to watch anything my friends watched due to having strict parents and as a kid it just really sucks being out of the loop. I know it seems trivial now, but back then it mattered and I always take that perspective into consideration when I make decisions like this.

The only show I ever banned my DD from seeing was Zoey 101. Jamie Lynn Spears was 15 and got pregnant while she starred on thst show. I didn't want her as a role model for DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter