• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you doing the DDP next yr?

Disney8704

<font color=deeppink>I so need to do that!<br><fon
After some thought, me and DH may not be doing DDP. Mainly because we are eating a lot of buffets for breakfast and we may not be hungry for lunch so our CS credits would bascially just sit there and collect dust. However, I love the fact you get all those yummy deserts so I dunno. Also I dont like the fact that chefs de france and san angels arent on there anymore. And we were gonna eat there. Still are actually, even if we have to pay OOP. One thing I am REALLY worried about is making my ADRs and only to have the plan change again and my ADRs arent accepting the plan anymore. I know this was gonna happen. The dining plan gets huge and very popular. Only a matter of time it was gonna start to dwindle down and not be that great anymore. So are you doing the dining plan next year? If so, why are you still doing it and if not, what made you change your mind? I would like to hear from everyone. Maybe this will help me decide to still do the dining plan or not.

I'm still doing the DDP in January. Main reason being I've had it booked for months and obviously didn't find out the changes till Sunday.

Even so, I would probably have booked it anyway even if no more restaurants are added to the list. It's still a great deal and only two of my ADRs are affected, there's still plenty of good restaurants to choose from.

However I wouldn't have booked at Coronado if I'd known no restaurants there would accept the DDP. But I'm still hopeful that will change before January.

I'm not sure. I was excited when the dining plan came out. This will be our 2nd time using it (first time, I paid for it, this time it's free dining). We thought here's our chance to try all of the WS restaurants. Well, I guess that idea is already dead!

I'm kinda worried though. We have Biergarten and The Rose & Crown booked for our 2 Epcot meals this trip, and I noticed those are 2 of the restaurants that are on the plan for 2007. Does this mean they are the lowest quality at WS???? Maybe I should try to get into a different restaurant and save those 2 for next year in case we do use the DDP.

KWIM?

Mary

So far, the "quality" differences between Dining Plan and non-Dining Plan restaurants is an illusory issue. If anything, I'd worry about the quality of many of the non-Dining Plan restaurants, getting so much less business because they're no longer on the Dining Plan, therefore not earning enough revenue to cover their fixed costs.

We're going down for a short trip in early February (ds's 9th birthday) and my mom is joining us. We'll be staying DVC and I'lll be purchasing the plan. For us, all of the restaurants we wanted are still on the plan and since it's only 3 nights, we'll be fine.

Going forward, however, I don't know. Since we're using our banked points from 2006 in February, they won't be available for our usual November trip. So we're probably going to skip WDW and go on a cruise, and bank our points into 2008. So unless there is a great deal offered in August (between end of camp and start of school), we won't be back down again next year.

Not sure I'll be able to handle so much time away, considering we're going 4 times this year. :banana:

We're on DDP for our Nov '06 trip and in "wait-and-see" mode for May '07. Fortunately, we have the luxury of time to see what happens.

If the DDP doesn't look attractive to us, it's not that big a deal. We'll just eat at Le Cellier and do a character meal OOP.

We'll probably take advantage of not having DDP by holding off on renewing APs and spending some time at Universal and Sea World, neither of which DD4-going-on-24 has ever visited.

In fact, we might well do a completely non-WDW-park trip, spending our time either in the OKW pool or at other Orlando attractions -- instead of Le Cellier and a character meal OOP, we'd do La Nouba again. That's one good thing about the Orlando area -- there are a lot of options.

bicker said:
So far, the "quality" differences between Dining Plan and non-Dining Plan restaurants is an illusory issue. If anything, I'd worry about the quality of many of the non-Dining Plan restaurants, getting so much less business because they're no longer on the Dining Plan, therefore not earning enough revenue to cover their fixed costs.

I agree, that's why I think most of the WS restaurants will wind up taking whatever terms Disney is offering. The restaurants will have to change in order to profitably run on what Disney is paying them. The restaurants may look completely different, maybe even a buffet.

I think the restaurants at CSR and DTD may be able to survive without MYW dining guests.

We're doing the DDP again and probably always will as long as it is offered. Three of the restaurants that we wanted to eat at are no longer on the plan but it was easy to come up with alternatives. There are still a lot of places to choose from. I like the plan because you already have it paid for when you arrive and I still think it is a good value.

Not doing it here. We've noticed a downhill slide in terms of quality and creativity at many of the WDW restaurants over the last few years. I also don't like to feel "forced" to eat somewhere, whether it's because I had to make a dining reservation six months ago and now don't feel like eating that on that night or because I've paid for a package six months ago that included all of my food. The DDP does exactly that. Hook, line and sinker.

Nope, not for me. I like a little spontaneity on vacation, as well as some flexibility...and I never want to feel forced to eat somewhere, especially if the meals/service leave much to be desired. I like the option of getting in my car, driving down the road and getting a dinner where healthy business competition still exists.

Thats how I feel about it to, but actually all the places I am going to happen to accept the DDP except for chefs de france. And my breakfasts and dinners are all gonna have ADRs. I really wish I could just go there and eat whenever without having to make ADRs but in order for us to eat at the places we want to, ADRs need to be made. I said this one time before on another post and I will say it again. Disney needs to stop doing ADRs. So what if you have to wait. If you go out to dinner around your home, you gotta wait there, so what the difference. And even when you do make ADRs you still have to wait. I made 1 ADR last time for CRT and ended up waiting 45 mins just to get seated. If Disney stopped doing ADRs it would make things SO much easier because then you have complete flexibility where and when you wanna eat. You dont have to plan months in advance where you think you might wanna eat. Example, I make an ADR for CRT for 5pm. What if Im not hungry at 5? What if I decide to eat somewhere else? What if I decided to go to Epcot instead of MK for that day? I wouldnt be able to make last second choices with having ADRs. DH feels the same way. Just winging it. Not have to worry about getting to an ADR on time and making sure we are hungry enough for our meal. And just have complete control on what to do. In a way the dining plan is screwing things up because without it people wouldnt be making ADRs left and right. All the restraunts would be able to accept walk-ups again. Either Disney needs to stop the dining plan, stop doing ADRs or make it to where ALL restraunts will accept the dining plan. Because if they did, then everyone would be more evenly spread out throughout all restraunts instead of having some people at one restraunt that doesnt accept it and like a million people at one restraunt that does. If I make ADRs I expect to be able to get in when I get there and not have to wait. If I have to wait to get in, why make ADRs when you are gonna have to wait regardless. People need to see reality here. It doesnt matter if Disney does the dining plan or not. Its those ADRs that are really messing things up. Because regardless if you have an ADR or not, you are gonna have to wait to get in. And then plus no ADR means more freedom without feeling like you are being tied down on a schdeule. I do agree that they make you feel forced in eating at certain places because they are. They give you a list and say have at it. You have this many credits to use. And what about those that take 2 TS? That means I have to turn around and pay OOP for 1 TS meal. And then to top things off they give you credits per night. Well people do gotta eat on either their 1st or last day. In my opinion it should be this way. Set a $ amount for per TS and CS credit you want and let you customize how many TS and CS credits you want for the entire length of stay. This way you dont have to many or not enough. You have just the right amount you want. That way if you wanna do meals that requires 2 TS you can. You dont have to worry about paying OOP for at least 1 meal. I was considering doing the DDP, but the more I think about it, the more Im going against it. It may save me some money, but if I decide to change my mind where to eat I can do it with ease without having to worry about if the DDP is accepted there or not. Plus food wont be wasted because all we will order is the main entree and maybe desert if we are still hungry.

PlutoLuvr said:
Not doing it here. We've noticed a downhill slide in terms of quality and creativity at many of the WDW restaurants over the last few years. I also don't like to feel "forced" to eat somewhere, whether it's because I had to make a dining reservation six months ago and now don't feel like eating that on that night or because I've paid for a package six months ago that included all of my food. The DDP does exactly that. Hook, line and sinker.

Nope, not for me. I like a little spontaneity on vacation, as well as some flexibility...and I never want to feel forced to eat somewhere, especially if the meals/service leave much to be desired. I like the option of getting in my car, driving down the road and getting a dinner where healthy business competition still exists.

We used the DDP in January, and are using it again next January. I was happy with the level of service and with the quality of the food that we were served. We never had a long wait, and there were many times we were seated right away. I have already booked our ADR's for the next trip, and have not chosen any that are not on the plan. I may make some changes as we get closer. I know that having to make reservations in advance takes some of the flexability out of vacationing, but I would rather have a time slot for a meal than try to find a place to have a TS meal, and find tht there are long waits everywhere.

I intend to use it until I don't feel it is a fair value. Only one TS and a few CS that I would use are not yet on it, but I'll just pay OOP if I really want to go there. THe overall convienience of the plan supercedes paying OOP for one meal.

No. It's just TOO MUCH FOOD! I don't care how much we're "saving", we just can't eat that much! We tried the DDP in May and walked around the park miserable every evening after stuffing ourselves with 'pre-paid' food. We're gonna stick with the DDE card and enjoy our evenings! :thumbsup2

I agree with you, too, Disney8704. Waiting 45 minutes for a dinner reservation you pretty much "had" to make five months ago is absurd.

I can see where no ADRs would be a bit extreme. I mean, WDW is home to big family reunions, anniversaries, weddings, etc. I can see where some folks need to do a little meal planning in advance. But what we are seeing is the other extreme on the end of that spectrum. So many are planning every morsel of their vacation so far in advance, it pretty much leaves everyone else out in the cold with CS burgers and chicken nuggets unless they do the same. A lot of us can't book vacations six months out. A lot of us don't want to plan and reserve every morsel of our dining six months out.

I'm hoping this "change" in the DDP sort of levels the playing field a little for those that do love to plan so far out and those that don't and/or can't.

Disney has done a wonderful job of making everyone happy when they visit the parks. I'm optimistic their dining will follow suit. It might just take some tweaking and fine tuning :)

Shelby5514 said:
No. It's just TOO MUCH FOOD!
It bears repeating: You don't have to eat everything. We'll order what we wish, and eat what we wish, not one bit more. We're evaluating the Dining Plan based not on how much food we could order, but how much food we would order, if we were paying for everything out of pocket. (The Dining Plan still saves us $120.)

It may be huge for special occasions, but disney world is supposed to be a family atmosphere. They are treating all the sit down restraunts like they are big and fancy restraunts that cost $100 a plate and you need to wear an evening gown and tux to get into it. All part of going to disney is to have fun and relax. And its not very relaxing and fun if you have to plan out every detail of your trip several months in advance and be put on a schedule that you need to keep up with so you dont run late for your ADR. Now what fun is that? I dont see anything fun about it. And just like you said, many people cant book 6 months in advance and almost no one wants to have to sit down and plan every detail out. Thats my point I am trying to bring across. Disney needs to stop doing ADRs for the fact that everyone doesnt like to have to sit there and try to figure out 180 days or more in advance what they might be in the mood for, for that day they are planning out. No one knows what they are in the mood for that far in advance. What happens if you book a restraunt that sells chicken and other nice fancy food, but all you want is a plain old burger from a CS? Guess what? You are stuck on eating what they have at the restraunt. Either that if Disney wont stop doing ADRs, they continue, but dont turn walk-ups away. If you dont have a ressie and dont mind waiting then you can get in. If you hate waiting either make a ressie or come back a different time. Its that simple. I wanted to eat at 1900 park fare 1 time for breakfast, didnt know I needed a ressie and what happened? I got turned away. Both me and DH were completely disapointed. Do you think other people enjoy walking up wanting to eat a meal at a restraunt only to find out they dont take walk-ups? Of course not. All the restraunts need to be 100% open to ALL public, ressies or not. If you have a ressie, only fair to get them seated first and then seat the waiting people. Whats so difficult about that?

PlutoLuvr said:
I agree with you, too, Disney8704. Waiting 45 minutes for a dinner reservation you pretty much "had" to make five months ago is absurd.

I can see where no ADRs would be a bit extreme. I mean, WDW is home to big family reunions, anniversaries, weddings, etc. I can see where some folks need to do a little meal planning in advance. But what we are seeing is the other extreme on the end of that spectrum. So many are planning every morsel of their vacation so far in advance, it pretty much leaves everyone else out in the cold with CS burgers and chicken nuggets unless they do the same. A lot of us can't book vacations six months out. A lot of us don't want to plan and reserve every morsel of our dining six months out.

I'm hoping this "change" in the DDP sort of levels the playing field a little for those that do love to plan so far out and those that don't and/or can't.

Disney has done a wonderful job of making everyone happy when they visit the parks. I'm optimistic their dining will follow suit. It might just take some tweaking and fine tuning :)

I can see your point of to much food, but you dont have to get everything that comes with your meals. If you just want an Entree and thats it, just get that. Theres no rule stating you must order the appitizer and desert as well. If you dont want them, dont order them. And if your walking around to stuffed, not to sound rude, but thats ur fault. You should have stopped when you started getting full. Like my mother taught me at a very young age, when you start getting full, stop so you dont make yourself sick. But enjoy ur DDE card!

Shelby5514 said:
No. It's just TOO MUCH FOOD! I don't care how much we're "saving", we just can't eat that much! We tried the DDP in May and walked around the park miserable every evening after stuffing ourselves with 'pre-paid' food. We're gonna stick with the DDE card and enjoy our evenings! :thumbsup2

We're getting it. DD said noway did she wantthe kids eating hambugers everyday she wantedabetter selection and while I know many cs restaurants have great choices and we will use them .The restaurants have great buffets (which we love) and family style along with a couple of ala carte and in characters and you've got what we want. I know without ddp we would not go to nice restaurants every night and the only "bummer" for us with the new list is PH and I'm still hoping.

Unfortunately, there is only limited space in restaurants. No restaurant can accommodate an unlimited flow of patrons. Disney's restaurants are very popular, and ADRs are the most fair way to distribute the available space among all of the guests. It is a time-honored tradition in our culture that the people who ask for something first, get first. Everyone has the opportunity to make the decisions that are best for themselves, including making ADRs six months in advance, if that is important enough to them. For those who have more important priorities that keep them from booking early, they benefit from their focus on those other priorities, and unfortunately have to pay for those benefits with a bit less choice with regard to available restaurants.

We'll be using the dining plan twice next year. :wizard:

I'll just pay OOP for the few places my son requested that aren't on the plan.

The plan does include a lot of food, but we only order what we know we'll eat. When we used the plan last year, it was not uncommon for us to skip dessert and/or an appetizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter