• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you considering not renewing your Annual Pass?

So, I guess I am starting to see two camps. Obviously, those that will renew and those that will not…

But. more seriously, there are those that for a variety of reasons will not be renewing. The one thing that is surprising to me, very few have mentioned that they are not renewing because they do not see the flexibility with the AP that there once was. I have seen several stories of people that have tried to extend trips for a variety of reasons (airline reschedule, bad weather, extra vacation day), but could not get a park reservation. Personally, in the past we have made some last minute trips because family or friends were going, and were curious if we could meet them there.

For those who are renewing, yeah, I totally get that as well. For a few, FOMO is a big thing. For others, yes it just makes economic sense.

It seems to me the DVC people are the ones with the greatest level of frustration. We have made an investment, and in part built a lifestyle on those previous decisions.

I thought the crowds at Disney would be a self-correcting problem. Eventually, people would be fed up with waiting on very long lines. Disney would either address this with more things to do (new attractions, new shows, new entertainment), or find some other way (third track at TSM), or they would just wind up losing business. With parks at capacity, I guess I was wrong...

Should be interesting. Disney stock is off another 5% today, after being down 15% on the year yesterday. Interesting when the DJI was down 4% for the year, and up over 1% today.

I have not actually counted on my fingers, but it seems like the DVC people seem to be renewing more than the average out of state guest.

There have been many discussions about how we have to adjust our expectations and here was a good one, if I do say so myself, that had a lot of engaged people until it got removed from TPAS and then died on the vine.

I will say that I was happy and filled with joy when I got my recovery AP.

But after a few visits with Genie+ as the replacement for FP+, I was both disappointed and frustrated.......and I should not have to pay thousands of dollars to feel that way.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/best-strategy-for-a-trip-in-2022-lower-your-expectations.3869236/

We just renewed our 3 passes, I did consider not as I've never renewed, alway took about 6 or 12 months before getting a new AP. Knowing we'd go on 2 trips from when this renewal starts (mid June - but the first trip won't be until January) it made sense but it isn't the value when we can time it better and get 3 trips. Just didn't want to risk there no being an AP option for the next trip.

We decided to not renew. TBH after 36 trips in 16 years and owning multiple DVCs, annual passes seemed like a no brainer; we never thought we would not want to go and started planning our next trip as soon as we returned. We would spend most of our days hopping from park to park, until the latest park closed, then we would hit the latest restaurant or Disney Springs/Downtown Disney. Every day would be more of the same starting with Stacey's must do Disney show running non stop on our TV's. But, year after year things we enjoyed were being eliminated (Osborne Family Festival of Lights, Lights of Wonder, 3AM EMH, Illuminations, SpectroMagic, etc.) as well as a shift in the overall vibe of the parks, it's probably just time to limit park time and just see other things in the area. We have never been to Universal and we have heard a lot fo good things about it. We just don't feel much of the spirit of Walt anymore. We still love the resorts, so we plan to go at least every other year but not doing our 3+ trips per yer, so definitely not going enough to need annual passes. We also may be selling one of our DVC's too depending on how things go after our September trip, so we may look into other vacation spots. Aside from some family trips when I as younger, my wife and I really fell in love with Disney when we honeymooned at Caribbean Beach during the Christmas season of 2005. It was incredible. So much has changed though, and unfortunately aside from Flight of Passage, not a lot for the better, so it may just be time to move on and do Disney on occasion rather than multiple times annually. I am sure there will be streams of new families ready to fill any vacancies. The good thing is that our pocket book will thank us, our vacation budget just shrunk to 1/4 of what we used to spend.

I will renew shortly when my window opens, but at a lower level. I have legacy Platinum now, but I don't see the value in the Incredible-Pass. I bought the Platinum when I moved to Central Florida 4 years ago. After the down payment it was $52 per month. I went often, so it was worth it. There have been price hikes since, but the jump to Incredible-Pass is, well...incredibly bad. In 4 years to go from $52 per month to $99 per month in the space of 4 years (I'm just over $60 per month now) - and get less for it- is a deal breaker for me.
Sorcerer Pass will keep me near my current costs and I don't plan on going during holiday blackout periods anyhow, so that will work just fine. Frankly, I may even go all the way to the Pixie Dust level. I've already done Christmas Day in the parks, I avoid weekends and holiday periods, so I can save a few $$ and still have my AP.
I'll make my decision in a couple weeks.
We are perfectly happy with our PD AP. We don’t want to go when it’s crowded. That might change when the DGS gets older and wants to visit.

...didn't want to risk there no being an AP option for the next trip.
Yeah, that is what I keep thinking about. It is that fear of missing out.

What I do know is if we do NOT renew, it WILL be a lifestyle change for us. Not saying it would be a negative change, just a change. Of course, things could change tomorrow.

I still have a few months to make that final decision, but I really appreciate all the feedback.

DVC, 200 Points.

I won't be renewing. Partly because I can't get my girlfriend an annual pass, partly because of Disney's policies and partly because we're going on an international trip next year which means we'll only do one trip to Disney.

I could still use an AP for my trip in September, but we've decided to check out what other things Orlando has to offer. We're doing one Magic Kingdom day, (hopefully) Moonlight Magic at Animal Kingdom, one day at Universal (first time), a water park day, Gatorland and some lazy resort days at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Next year, we're going to use all our points at a really nice Disney Resort... Which may be at Disney World or it may be at Vero Beach. I guess we'll see.

I'm making a trip in 2 weeks specifically to renew my AP and get a new card. For me, the resort discount, shopping discounts and park hopping - it pays for itself annually.

I've had an AP 22 out of the last 29 years. I did not renew this year. $1175 to renew is ABSURD. Genie+ was the last straw for me. I am tired of being charged for Every Single Thing and prices (especially value resorts) going way beyond what is "reasonable" for a captive audience.

I DETEST the park reservations and resent the heck out of paying $1200 and not being able to park hop if and when I want.

And the crowds.... To pay what we pay and to go during non peak times and deal with HUGE crowds and being forced to be tied to your phone all day...not anymore. I got Universal AP for $449....

We decided to not renew. TBH after 36 trips in 16 years and owning multiple DVCs, annual passes seemed like a no brainer; we never thought we would not want to go and started planning our next trip as soon as we returned. We would spend most of our days hopping from park to park, until the latest park closed, then we would hit the latest restaurant or Disney Springs/Downtown Disney. Every day would be more of the same starting with Stacey's must do Disney show running non stop on our TV's. But, year after year things we enjoyed were being eliminated (Osborne Family Festival of Lights, Lights of Wonder, 3AM EMH, Illuminations, SpectroMagic, etc.) as well as a shift in the overall vibe of the parks, it's probably just time to limit park time and just see other things in the area. We have never been to Universal and we have heard a lot fo good things about it. We just don't feel much of the spirit of Walt anymore. We still love the resorts, so we plan to go at least every other year but not doing our 3+ trips per yer, so definitely not going enough to need annual passes. We also may be selling one of our DVC's too depending on how things go after our September trip, so we may look into other vacation spots. Aside from some family trips when I as younger, my wife and I really fell in love with Disney when we honeymooned at Caribbean Beach during the Christmas season of 2005. It was incredible. So much has changed though, and unfortunately aside from Flight of Passage, not a lot for the better, so it may just be time to move on and do Disney on occasion rather than multiple times annually. I am sure there will be streams of new families ready to fill any vacancies. The good thing is that our pocket book will thank us, our vacation budget just shrunk to 1/4 of what we used to spend.
VERY WELL SAID.

That's your opinion.

In my opinion, it is still a place that many people enjoy-well actually it is not just opinion it is evident by the crowds.

Yes, there have been world wide changes, yes prices of EVERYTHING (not just at WDW but world wide), yes the changes implemented are not great (IMO) but those who want a good visit will adapt, and yes some people will say it is "a shell of its former self", "Walt would be rolling in his grave", "Walt didn't mean for it to be this or that".

In reality, not one single person knows what WD would think of today's Disney Corporation. He was a business man and would absolutely want to ensure that he could keep his employees EMPLOYED.

I do not have 50 + year history knowledge of WDC. However, I am 52 years old and have had experience with inflation, disasters (hurricanes and tornados), illness, a pandemic, and a multitude of life's challenges. We live. We adapt. We accept. We change what we can- not everything is wrapped up in the Disney Bubble, but for those of us that choose to enjoy all that we can while we can, that should be enough.

I understand your frustration. I truly do. I don't totally disagree with you, because things HAVE changed.

I know it's my opinion. That's why I said "in my opinion."

Is anyone arguing about WDW being a place "many people enjoy"? I'm not. However, anecdotal evidence suggests a meaningful percentage of people are enjoying it less than they used to.

Our APs are not due for renewal until early November.

For those that have renewed recently - what are the options/offered? DVC/out of state? Curious. Last year it was about $764. TIA.

We are DVC and live up in New England. We are currently 2 adults and 2 kids. In 2023, we will shift to 2 adults, 1 Disney adult, and 1 kid. We bought Gold Pass vouchers in late January 2020 in anticipation of a May 2020 land and sea trip. When that didn’t happen, we finally activated them during a November 2020 trip and used them for a total of 20 days between November 2020 and May 2021.

We were planning to not renew for our December 2021/January 2022 trip since we were moving to only 1 trip a year at a busy time with high DVC point costs. I found that it was cheaper for us to renew them than it was to buy tickets for January 2022 and part of our November 2022 trip. Our APs will expire partway through our trip and just a few days before the Sorcerer’s blockout days. I thought about not renewing but, having priced out tickets for the few days in November 2022 that would be covered by a renewal and pricing tickets at current cost (even though I know they will cost more) for the days in November 2023 that would be covered by a renewal, it is actually cheaper for us to renew than it is to buy tickets for 2 days in 2022 and for 6 days in 2023. So, I guess we will be renewing just because it makes more sense financially to renew.

Last edited:
I know it's my opinion. That's why I said "in my opinion."

Is anyone arguing about WDW being a place "many people enjoy"? I'm not. However, anecdotal evidence suggests a meaningful percentage of people are enjoying it less than they used to.
i see you are following me. i Suppose I offended you in some way by only saying MyOpinion and I am renewing my AP.

i Didn’t mean to rile anyone up by answering the question.

On the APs FB page, there are multiple reports of out of state passholder’s being denied renewal. Is this accurate and do we know why?

On the APs FB page, there are multiple reports of out of state passholder’s being denied renewal. Is this accurate and do we know why?
Disregard, they were able to get someone who allowed them to renew their passes. Sounds like a training issue?

DW and I will not be getting APs again. We started our WDW adventures in the mid 90's and converted to APs in the early '00's when we decided to make two trips per year. In 2015 we became snowbirds and switched to resident APs. Both our northern and southern refrigerator is covered in AP magnets.

In March 2020, just after renewing our resident APs, we decided to head back north early to be near our doctors due to the growing COVID threat. DW is immunosuppressed and at extremely high risk. Since we hadn't used our new AP's we petitioned for a refund and got it.

We haven't been back to FL since. And we have since had some life changes that will prevent our snowbird travels, at least for a few years.

And, to our surprise, we are not missing Disney.

And with all of the changes to visiting the parks, particularly reservations, early entry for on-site guests, and Genie, it would be hard to continue our typical Disney visit, which was more of a spur of the moment, let's go take a walk enhanced by Disney. Or decide the night before to do a rope drop to catch a popular attraction.

Once COVID settles down a bit more I am sure we will start making short trips to visit our friends in Florida. Disney? Who knows... we'll see how we are feeling after driving past the Disney exits on I-4.

The only reason I ever got an AP was for the room discounts. Somewhere I've heard rumors that they are dropping that benefit and i dont see it listed as an official AP benefit on the Disney website, in which case I will definitely not renew in July. Aside from that, when I had an AP, I was never able to take advantage of the six months 0% interest on Disney packages offered when you use the Disney visa card. So I'll be watching very closely in the next few months to see if any AP discounts come out and for how much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter