Are we in Greece ... again?!?! (AKA Taking the New Neighbors to a German theme park/resort)

Flossbolna

Sea days are just so relaxing!
Introduction:

This will be a trip report from our trip to Europapark in Germany in June 2021. Some might already have read my/our previous trip reports. Somehow in my history on the DIS my husband (then boyfriend) Michael decided that he had to add his commentary into my trip reports, but refused to get his own account on here. so we have been doing this in different colors for a while For this trip report however, Michael will be the main storyteller, I will be commenting (and editing and posting since he still doesn't have an account here).

So, here we go:

OK, friends (and let's face it, you must be friends to read something like this because the alternative is major mental illness), this isn't your typical trip report from your favorite loaded international super couple with homes on two continents who had a destination wedding celebration in Hawaii due to their real estate interest in the Disney Vacation Club and are currently planning a record 22-day stay in Orlando this fall (Motto: Do you feel lucky? Then the City Beautiful is Pandecked Out For You!)

Nope. There is no Disney. No Marvel
(not true!! There is a miniscule amount of it!). No Star Wars (ICK!!!) Not really any IP at all. No Pixie Dust. No OCD months long hunt for dining reservations or FastPasses (you aren't supposed to remember these because you'll be paying for access very soon! Here I need to apologize for late posting: Michael wrote this over a month ago when we all were still blissfully unaware of Lightning Lanes and such)

This is a different kind of trip report from different kind of Spirits.

Your characters are me (the male American of the two married M’s), the other blonder, much thinner, much more German M (the best wife you could ever have ... well, no, you can't have her because she's all mine!), Big Sugar D (our beloved adopted plush bear -- think Ted, just much filthier and with the goal of world conquest. Oops, that should be conquests all over the world!) and our new neighbors (you think we're crazy? Who the hell moves to Germany in winter in the middle of a pandemic and settles around the corner from us?!!): Agatha (It was her all the time ... texting us, that is), her wonderful, more laidback hubby, JJ, and their now-teen son, baseball phenom and my favorite cleaning boy, Lil' C.

So, let’s recap this because of the general name confusion going on here:

• Me, Flossbolna, Magdalene or in Michael speak: M
  • Michael, no DIS name and in Michael speak: I
  • Big Sugar D - a plush bear
BONUS GUESTS:

• Brook, @brookelizabeth or in Michael speak: Agatha or Agie - she will take part in the writing of this trip report in the bewitching color of GREEN
  • Joe, Brook’s husband, in Michael speak: JJ

• Henry, Brook’s (in our presence nearly always all around lovely) teenage son and in Michael speak: Lil’ C.

I will be your storyteller, confidante and psychic guide in this adventure. M and Agie will chime in with their comments, thoughts, observations and general feminine snark.

As always. Michael will appear in RED, I will write in BLUE. Our third co-author Brook writes in GREEN

The photos were a group effort.

Some backstory first: deep in the cosmos ... that cloud covered planet waits ... and waits ...and waits until finally those clouds of gas and steam condense and rain upon that planet. Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain and rain. The deluge. A deluge of such magnitude that the world's greatest waterfalls flowing together for more than a million years would only just begin to approach its results. For when it finally stopped, the seas had been born. Seas that would make this planet unlike any other within the realm of our knowledge. For it was there, sheltered from cosmic radiation that the means to support life on Earth was able to emerge. And ... wait, too far back?

BTW, if you don't know where the above comes from, bow your heads in shame, go stand in the corner or, worse, watch OAN for 30 minutes and tell yourself we're going to be OK.

Let's speed up a few billion years.

This trip was very spur of the moment. It came about because we were going mad in Bavaria (yes, like the guy who makes nuts at outlet malls
I thought he would say like mad King Ludwig who built the blueprint for Disneyland’s castle) from being basically locked up from December 17th of last year through the coldest spring since 1997, while the German government had a rollout of the COVID-19 vaccines that should be accompanied by a cute clip of that sloth at the DMV in Zootopia. But M got her first shot, in early May, as a high-level government official, and two weeks or so later I lucked into one from my favorite doctor.

And I did 4.2 million hours of research on Google regarding how we can possibly get our first vaccines when I saw how long it was taking for M & M, who were both in higher priority groups than we were (read: we had no priority group). We had a trip to the USA planned for the summer and I VERY MUCH wanted at least one shot in my arm before that trip. At the rate it was going, it was not looking promising. Plus this lovely thing known as the "Delta Variant" was on the horizon. Eventually, I found a doctor who was giving AstraZeneca (the "crappy shot" to many Americans), and spoke English (bonus!) and wasn't too far away from our little provincial village. A friend offered to drive us, as she had done this same Google searching just a week prior and understood our plight... and just days before our spur of the moment trip we are sharing here, both JJ and I got our first shots. (They were not vaccinating teens yet in Deutschland, so Lil C did not get his). Ideally it would not have been the AZ, but I was happy to take what I could get for some protection for myself, my family and my community.

When we got home from my shot we saw that Europa Park (which had to close last fall and skip its big Christmas season) had been allowed to reopen.
I think I got the E-Mail from their mailing list while we were sitting at the doctor’s office. Since we went last August with no one vaccinated, we felt being partially shot and with daily tests required for park entry, we weren't taking any real risk.

The rule was everyone had to be: vaccinated, recovered from Covid-19 within the last 6 months or tested negative (not more than 24 hours since the test, either rapid antigen or PCR). In German this can be shortened to Geimpft, Genesen, Getested and therefore became the buzzword of the „3G Rule“.

Within an hour of returning from the doctor's, M and Agie were at our dining room table with dueling laptops, planning a quick five day, four night journey to Europa Park and the Black Forest region of my beautiful second home from June 2-6.

It was very easy because we had planned a trip with them in mid-February to Europa just to relax and go to their almost brand new water park, Rulantica, which opened on Thanksgiving (not a holiday there) 2019. The main park is always closed from about January 10 until late March or early April. But EP was trying to make up for pandemic losses in 2020 and offered a free night for every night booked deal and we had jumped on it in December booking four nights at their newest hotel (Scandinavian museum themed) with the hope things would be better and we'd be able to take said trip (we knew it was pretty much 35/65 when we booked, but ...) Besides, 50% off discounts like this are unheard of in Germany. How do I put this gently? Oh, yeah, it's me, I don't. Germans are cheap. The type of sales you see in the USA just don't exist in any facet of German life. They make a big deal at the grocery store when there is a six cent discount on something. Really. So, even though it was not likely we were going to go, it was worth the gamble.

I fit in here. I am cheap and get excited about six cent discounts.....

We didn't go. Cases soared.

Angie M
(Also known as Chancellor Merkel) gained weight as she told Germans that tougher restrictions were constantly needed. And I passed the time by doing lots of walking around our desolate and depressing neighborhood as every person I am close to in the USA, UK and Canada got vaccinated.

Some proof of Michael walking through the pandemic German winter with 9 pm curfews:

And one of the two pairs of shoes that he managed to wear out:

I also organized my socks and underwear and read books that had been sitting for a long time. I also overdosed on CNN; especially after the election and coup attempt that followed.

"overdosed on CNN" - maybe an understatement. As Magdalene once stated, "I think the CNN logo may be burned into the TV."

I also made my first prime rib ever thanks to @franandaj talking me through the whole process. Unfortunately we only could have one guest over due to restrictions on whom you could meet. But we had my father join us for the meal and he said it was the best beef he ever had. Even Michael was happy with the result!

Anyway, when we canceled, we let them hold on to the euros and this was the time to use them.

Lil' C was going to be off from his pricey international school. JJ and M could take off one day of work (the Friday) since Thursday was a holiday (Germany has lots of holidays in May ... like pretzels, you can't go far without one). Agie and I are lazy and supported by our spouses (at least I think that's how the teen views it).

Snoring yet?

Anyway, very quickly we decided that we weren't going to be able to stay at one of EP's six on-site hotels because they were limiting occupancy and appeared to be booked immediately. So, we quickly went with a relatively new -- and much cheaper -- Holiday Inn Express on the other side of the A5 motorway from the village of Rust where EP is located. For those familiar with WDW ... or better DLP ... there are no chain hotels in Rust
(in general there are far fewer chain hotels in all of Europe than in the USA). You either stay at one of EP's resorts or you stay in an old German guesthouse (sorta like a bed and breakfast except for the fat German sunbathing in the nude and ... you don't need to know that). I was shocked last summer when I noticed the HIE there because the Mack Family, that own the park as well as Mack Rides and Mack Media and Mack N' Cheese (remember to not allways take Michael literally - something I still struggle with at times - but there is no Mack N’Cheese), don't like competition.

We booked rooms at the HIE. We turned our hotel money into two day tickets for EP. Rulantica was not opening when we made the plans in May, so we made plans to tour the area, which is very beautiful and in far southwestern Germany, spitting distance from France and Switzerland.
It’s known under the name of Schwarzwald or Black Forest - made famous by a chocolate cherry cake. We booked a rental SUV to get us there that the womenfolk would have to drive because neither JJ nor I can legally drive in Germany, for different reasons.

SUV in European standards. Small. Barely an SUV.

Before I wrap up this awe-inspiring intro, some background, which you shouldn't take for granite (sorry, just saw the very mediocre Woke Jungle Cruise film -
Over a month ago now, sorry for my late posting).

M and I have become huge EP fans, despite never visiting before January of 2016. Every visit we seem to love the place more as new things open and they don't destroy old things in the process, unlike the Most Magical Tourist Trap in the Swamps. They also believe in trees and benches and quality reasonably priced food. We knew our new neighbors were Disney addicts, particularly WDW,

we are actually far more keen on Disneyland than WDW

and we wanted to see the park through their eyes. When they told us they were moving, my only request was that we go with them for their first visit to EP.

I was really excited to see this magical German theme park I had heard so much about! (spoiler: it was even better than I had imagined!!!) I was very glad we had guides with us, as I could sit back and really enjoy the experience.

With the pandemic raging (well, not in FL, where it ended last summer as you all know), we weren't really sure when this would be, but we wound up lucking out.

So, with that out of the way, let's get on the road and start this puppy ... or we can wait ... and wait (for JJ) ... and get some coffee ... and COVID tests too ...

The trip is on the way!!!

:woohoo: A new Flossbolna TR!!! I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

More reading material for our vacation! Can't wait to hear all about it.

:woohoo: A new Flossbolna TR!!! I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

More reading material for our vacation! Can't wait to hear all about it.

More a Michael trip report! I am still slowly working on the Japan trip report from 2017!

Hope you have a great vacation!

More a Michael trip report! I am still slowly working on the Japan trip report from 2017!

You keep it in the family! :thumbsup2 And I am still following that Japan trip report! I just never got around to post on yours or any other TR. I have been truly lacking. But I hope to be more involved in the near future again. :-)

Day 1: June 2, 2021. Plan: Pack, leave, drive, stop to pee, eat, stop to pee, stop to pee, pee, arrive at hotel, pee more, go to sleep.

Well, when we planned the trip there was a small hiccup in that M had to work until early Wednesday afternoon and JJ had a zoom meeting that didn't start until 4 p.m. We also all had to get COVID tests that would be valid for 24 hours and allow us to get into EP on Thursday (park days were planned for Thursday and Saturday, we also had booked dinners at three different EP resort hotels for Thursday-Saturday nights and needed negative tests for them as well (this will cause some indigestion later on).

Considering the last road trip we took there last summer, I was envisioning us pulling into the hotel at 1 a.m., going to sleep at 3 and being up at 8 to be at the gates for opening at 9. This didn't fill me with joy, but the sacrifices we make for the ones we love and all that. And I do love that bear!

The rest of us heard of his fears over and over again during the days that led up to the trip. Like the CNN, it was pretty much non-stop. ;-)

We don’t own a car here in Germany and most of our trips are by public transport: train, plane, metro and busses. But last summer we did two trips for which we rented cars as neither of us felt that sitting for 5 hours on a train with strangers was something we’d enjoy during the pandemic. So Michael got to experience the fun of a road trip on the Autobahn. I am sure you have all heard about the crazy Germans who don’t have a speed limit on the Autobahn. And it is a large part of the German cultural myth that Germans themselves believe in. But the truth is: most of the Autobahn is not without speed limits! And especially not in summer time when most of the repairs happen. So instead of cruising along at 110 mph (Michael would get a fit if I ever drove that fast!) we hopped from 80 kmh limit (50 mph) to traffic jam to maybe a 120 kmh limit if things were moving quickly (75 mph). And those trips became rather long… I guess it turned into a bit of a trauma.

M was home in the early afternoon and I had packed mostly the night before picking only clothes that were ill-fitting or uncomfortable or not my most stylish for reasons I don't fully get.
(He also declined all help from the perfect packer in our family: His wonderful wife. She would have been able to counsel him.) I think I was just so out of practice for actual travel. I'm quite serious here. At one point in 2019 I had 21 flights booked, paid for and, eventually, taken.

I can relate to this! I didn't have much trouble packing for this weekend getaway, but packing for our recent USA trip was an ORDEAL. I said something just like this to JJ while we were packing. And it's not like we were going off to some foreign land, anything we forgot could have been purchased easily.

We walked about three quarters of a mile to a COVID testing tent that I feel I know intimately now, took our tests and we're judged to be negative (I usually am).

I took a screenshot of Michael’s negative test result in case anyone is interested in what they look like here in Germany

We got tested the same day, at the same testing tent. We also found a FREE Nespresso machine on the sidewalk on our way there. In our little village it is quite common for people to place small items that they no longer want out in a box for others to take. Like a "free box" at a Garage Sale. I spied the Nespresso maker and insisted that we grab it right then, on our way to the testing tent. So.... yes - we were the crazy Americans who brought a Nespresso machine to the COVID testing tent!

True story! I have seen that Nespresso machine in their apartment!

We had planned to go over to the neighbors to put our luggage in our rental, a brand new Renault SUV with a name I can't recall.

KADJAR!!

I, honestly, didn't even know Renault still existed. M and Agie had picked up the car on Monday as we realized that paying a tiny amount (maybe 40 euros) to have the car for the entire week made a lot of sense. Lil' C went with the two of us on a shopping spree at a great large supermarket that is all of about 1.5 miles from our apartment. But since we don't own a car in Germany, going there to shop regularly isn't do-able. The goal was to get things for the house that weren't available at the two local markets (Rewe and Aldi) that are very close to us AND to buy snacks and goodies for the trip. All I know is I told M I was going to spend 263€ and wound up spending about 200€ less. But groceries are MUCH less expensive than in Florida.

This is the picture he sent me while I was still at work:

Plus heavy things! Like cases of Bavarian beer and jarred salsa that doesn't taste like ketchup!

We loaded the car and JJ was still working and I was trying very hard to not worry about when we arrived and focus on the great fact that we were all taking the trip at all. Somehow, there was a suggestion we go to the racist (only in America) coffee chain

Don't you think this deserves a touch more explanation? LOL Or perhaps allow the readers to Google Mr. Bleck.

since it was after 4 and I wanted to be awake for the ride.
I am surprised why he didn’t think the adrenalin of being a passenger in a car piloted by me would keep him awake enough… Unfortunately, this was not a wise decision for someone my age (I am 78 according to my friends on another Disney forum).

Then, we decided to attempt to disrupt JJ's meeting so we'd finally leave. But when we walked back over to their place, he was ready. Well, no, he wasn't. He was having some shoe drama

This man ALWAYS has shoe drama!!!!! I swear!!!!!!!

and enjoying what seemed like a lazy afternoon. But his meeting and work day were over.

When we got their stuff to the car, we had to do some creative rearranging, but everything fit. The occupants ... ah ... uh …?

That was the trunk:

And this were the people on the backseat:

I think this picture was taken while we were still parked in Nuremberg. That explains why everyone still looks so cheerful!

Let's just say that while this is a five-passenger SUV, it was a tight squeeze. And Lil' C was giving off some passive aggressive vibes ... well, no, he flat out didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the back between his very, very, very thin folks.

He's not only a writer folks, but also a comic!

I can't blame him. When I first met him, he was this tiny little thing. You could almost carry him in your pocket. Now, he's almost my height (not tough) and his legs are also ... longer. I did feel bad for him, but I don't do backseats without vomit bags handy. So, he sat in back.

The gals agreed that the German would drive the first half and the American, the second. We'd change when we stopped to grab a quick bite. This is where I started having nightmares about our road trips (we did two ... a second took us to Denmark in late August) last year where it took my wife about 25-35 minutes to find the entrance to the motorway from our home (about five minutes away under normal conditions). Thankfully, this wasn't that much torture, although we got on the road around 5ish and the local version of rush hour had started.

You might have a vision of great German autobahns with the best roadways and such, but the reality is (just like in the USA) every road seems to be under massive construction. If M wants to, she's welcome to explain this and blame it on the East German Commies, but I don't feel like it.

I kind of feel like I now have to. Let’s try to keep this short: 1945 to 1990 one part of Germany was part of the Eastern Block that was led by the Soviet Union. Besides large issues with regards to political and personal freedoms for Eastern Europeans, this also meant a much less succesful economical model which led to Eastern European infrastructure being lacking. When East Germany and West Germany reunified, Germany as a whole concentrated to a large extent on fixing the Eastern German infrastructure. With that repairs and expansion of Western German infrastructure fell behind and is currently being overhauled. So, while in the 90s and 00s you would go from construction to autobahn built in the 1930s to construction on a trip from Nuremberg to Berlin, you now have a perfect modern motorway all the way through - or even better a high speed train which makes the 300 miles trip in three hours. But we were going westwards.

We found the motorway and were on our way. M even let me control the radio, which is good considering her knowledge and taste in music. My wife could be listening to The Boss, The King or Cher and have no idea who is singing. I have very good grounds for a D-I-V-O-R-C-E, but I need someone to take care of me in my old age ... anyway …

Lil C very much wanted to listen to one of his podcasts that we often listen to as a family. It's a great podcast called "Escape this Podcast" and it's essentially an escape room, in Podcast form. However, Michael insisted on a digital radio station, Schwarzwald Radio... which ended up being an awesome channel. Such a great mix! Even Lil C enjoyed it.

Apparently, in their very busy day, the neighbors decided it would be a good day to not eat lunch, so they got hungry quickly. I seem to recall them snacking a lot.

Not me! I ate lunch. The boys did not....

Lil' C did share his pistachios with us. I also think this was when Big Sugar D (yes, his cousin is Duffy, but don't ever say it out loud) attempted unnatural plush relations with a friend of Lil' C’s.

The only surprising thing here was that for the first time on any road trip, the wife and I never needed (well, not quite) a toilet. The neighbors didn't either, so the usual one stop every 36 minutes turned into no stops.

Until Burger King.

At approximately 7:44 p.m on June 2nd we pulled off the Motorway into a village called Bad Rappenau and into our own version of ... The Pandemic Zone.

Someone also took a picture of our fuel consumption so far at 7:44 pm:

If you think that some of the pandemic insanity in the USA was over the top (no, you can't get the rona from a bottle of ketchup or a paper menu), you ain't seen nothing.

When we pulled in, the boy was particularly crotchety. The wife also finally needed the facilities. And I just wanted some food and to move on since we were about halfway there.

They had a beautiful patio, if someone would ever call a BK patio such a thing, that overlooked verdant hills across the highway.

But because of the pandemic, not only could we not dine inside, but the outside had packed up the furniture. People were either picking up drive-thru or walking in (only two people at a time, even if you had a party of six
- this was the most confusing thing as Germany’s rules had always been household focused, so they did not even let Brook, Joe and Henry enter together despite them being one household) getting food and eating it in their cars in the car park (that's European for parking lot). M had run across the street to a gas station that also had a Subway because she had a need (very very urgent… Should have stopped earlier, but there wasn’t really any option to stop) and BK had closed its toilets because toilets cause the 'rona too.

I'm all for COVID precautions, but this was ridiculous! However, the gas station across the street had a free toilet since the machine that usually takes your coins was broken! So that's a win. I hate paying to pee.

The wait was insane because the management had decided that the priorities were too service the drive thru and the delivery drivers who kept showing up for the locals. We spent what felt like hours, but was only an hour, to get food.

"only" an hour. At BK. :scared1::scared1::scared1:

They, naturally, screwed up the order as well. My burger had mayo when I asked for none. Multiple chicken sandwiches were wrongly replaced by the spicy version. It still was fresh and tasty. And after the three boys went across to the gas station with facilities, we were on the way again.

This time, Agatha was driving. Even D was impressed.

It's not that M is a bad driver. She does well for someone who can go years without driving. But Agie lived in NYC, the Big Apple, she drove there. She is very good at dealing with the ROADWAYS OF BLOOD that are German highways. Seriously, think of Germany's problem with speed-related crashes and deaths like the USA with guns and you'll have some idea why I have been in no hurry to get a German license. I have driven in other European countries, including Denmark last summer and I can assure you no nation has such unsafe, aggressive, crazies like the Fatherland does.

I actually find it quite easy to drive in Germany!! All the NYC insanity driving prepared me, I guess. When I drove in Florida from Orlando to my Mom's home (kind of near The Villages), I found that it was far more stressful with someone going 30 mph and another going 95 mph, along with some fool crossing the six-lanes without a blinker to make his exit.....!

She also not only knows music, but she can actually carry a tune.

He's a writer, a comic, and kind-hearted! Let's be honest here, I can barelyyyyy carry a tune. When I was a young lass my dog would howl when I sang.

So, with an American behind the wheel, off we went in search of our lodgings for the night and rest of the week.

In our next thrilling installment: we don't die in a fireball of death and arrive at a Pandemic German Holiday Inn Express and even find a friendly employee.

You keep it in the family! :thumbsup2 And I am still following that Japan trip report! I just never got around to post on yours or any other TR. I have been truly lacking. But I hope to be more involved in the near future again. :-)

I totally know what you mean. ::yes:: I think going back to actually having a trip coming up has motivated me much more again. Yes, I am married to a US citizens, so I can actually travel to Florida, so will do so very soon! I see that you have lots of cruises planned for next year.

As always. Michael will appear in RED, I will write in BLUE. Our third co-author Brook writes in GREEN

Seems to be quite easy to follow, but I've only read the first post....

The rule was everyone had to be: vaccinated, recovered from Covid-19 within the last 6 months or tested negative (not more than 24 hours since the test, either rapid antigen or PCR). In German this can be shortened to Geimpft, Genesen, Getested and therefore became the buzzword of the „3G Rule“.

I love these little tidbits of the German vernacular that you have been giving in your TRs!

Within an hour of returning from the doctor's, M and Agie were at our dining room table with dueling laptops, planning a quick five day, four night journey to Europa Park and the Black Forest region of my beautiful second home from June 2-6.

I remember seeing this photo somewhere....

I actually prefer bigger discounts, like when meat and turkeys are 50% off.

Some proof of Michael walking through the pandemic German winter with 9 pm curfews:

That's an awesome picture!

I also made my first prime rib ever thanks to @franandaj talking me through the whole process.

You're welcome! I'm glad it was a success!

SUV in European standards. Small. Barely an SUV.

We've switched to a mini van with seats that go into the floor, we need so much room.

M and I have become huge EP fans, despite never visiting before January of 2016. Every visit we seem to love the place more as new things open and they don't destroy old things in the process, unlike the Most Magical Tourist Trap in the Swamps. They also believe in trees and benches and quality reasonably priced food. We knew our new neighbors were Disney addicts, particularly WDW,

I've added this one to the list if/when we ever get to Europe......

we are actually far more keen on Disneyland than WDW

Yay for Disneyland!

I was really excited to see this magical German theme park I had heard so much about! (spoiler: it was even better than I had imagined!!!) I was very glad we had guides with us, as I could sit back and really enjoy the experience.

I've been advised that we need to travel when said guides are available....

With the pandemic raging (well, not in FL, where it ended last summer as you all know)

Yes, as well as the death rate not being reported though the hospitals are completely full.

This is so exciting to read about your adventures! I love the different points of view.

I'm here! Always love your trip reports! I owe you Flossbolna a much overdue email... Life has been crazy the last 3 years! Some good and recently not so good. So finding your TR is a much needed and happy distraction from it all. We recently just got back from Disney and a sail on the Dream. Great vacation and much needed time away. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures with Brook and family! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Hey guys! I'm sorry I'm so late jumping in here! This past month has been nuts and severely limited my DIS time. But I finally made my way here and will catch up with the updates soon.

Somehow in my history on the DIS my husband (then boyfriend) Michael decided that he had to add his commentary into my trip reports, but refused to get his own account on here. so we have been doing this in different colors for a while For this trip report however, Michael will be the main storyteller, I will be commenting (and editing and posting since he still doesn't have an account here).

I mean, heaven forbid he make it easy on you or anything like that.

This is gonna get confusing. Like a Greek chorus in TR form.

Some backstory first: deep in the cosmos ... that cloud covered planet waits ... and waits ...and waits until finally those clouds of gas and steam condense and rain upon that planet. Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain and rain. The deluge. A deluge of such magnitude that the world's greatest waterfalls flowing together for more than a million years would only just begin to approach its results. For when it finally stopped, the seas had been born. Seas that would make this planet unlike any other within the realm of our knowledge. For it was there, sheltered from cosmic radiation that the means to support life on Earth was able to emerge.

Hoo boy. This is gonna be a long one. Let me go make a sandwich and some coffee.

Gesundheit.

Eventually, I found a doctor who was giving AstraZeneca (the "crappy shot" to many Americans), and spoke English (bonus!) and wasn't too far away from our little provincial village.

Good work! The crappy shot will prevent COVID, but may cause a third arm and/or ear to grow spontaneously. Also, you randomly bark once in a while.

Since we went last August with no one vaccinated, we felt being partially shot

Partially shot sounds painful.

Besides, 50% off discounts like this are unheard of in Germany. How do I put this gently? Oh, yeah, it's me, I don't. Germans are cheap. The type of sales you see in the USA just don't exist in any facet of German life. They make a big deal at the grocery store when there is a six cent discount on something. Really. So, even though it was not likely we were going to go, it was worth the gamble.

I mean, six cents can add up over time.

Maybe like 100 years, but still.

How is this proof? This could be Snoop Dogg for all I know.

As Magdalene once stated, "I think the CNN logo may be burned into the TV."

:rotfl2:

I also made my first prime rib ever thanks to @franandaj talking me through the whole process. Unfortunately we only could have one guest over due to restrictions on whom you could meet. But we had my father join us for the meal and he said it was the best beef he ever had. Even Michael was happy with the result!

Hey, nice work! Looks delicious.

(remember to not allways take Michael literally - something I still struggle with at times - but there is no Mack N’Cheese

Don't take him literally or don't take him seriously? I thought it was the latter.

We booked a rental SUV to get us there that the womenfolk would have to drive because neither JJ nor I can legally drive in Germany, for different reasons.

So I'm guessing Joe is working on residency to get a license or something like that...while Michael is forbidden due to "The Incident".

Day 1: June 2, 2021. Plan: Pack, leave, drive, stop to pee, eat, stop to pee, stop to pee, pee, arrive at hotel, pee more, go to sleep.

Maybe lay off the 64-oz. sodas.

The rest of us heard of his fears over and over again during the days that led up to the trip. Like the CNN, it was pretty much non-stop. ;-)

You have to start charging him a euro every time he makes you listen to the same rant over and over.

But the truth is: most of the Autobahn is not without speed limits! And especially not in summer time when most of the repairs happen. So instead of cruising along at 110 mph (Michael would get a fit if I ever drove that fast!) we hopped from 80 kmh limit (50 mph) to traffic jam to maybe a 120 kmh limit if things were moving quickly (75 mph).

This is so disappointing. It's like going to a buffet and only eating the salad.

(He also declined all help from the perfect packer in our family: His wonderful wife. She would have been able to counsel him.)

:sad2:

He got the donuts. That's the important part.

Somehow, there was a suggestion we go to the racist (only in America) coffee chain

Don't you think this deserves a touch more explanation? LOL Or perhaps allow the readers to Google Mr. Bleck.

Seriously, you just casually drop a sentence like that in there?

I think this picture was taken while we were still parked in Nuremberg. That explains why everyone still looks so cheerful!

Let's just say that while this is a five-passenger SUV, it was a tight squeeze. And Lil' C was giving off some passive aggressive vibes ... well, no, he flat out didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the back between his very, very, very thin folks.

Well, settle in everyone! Only 12 hours to go.

You might have a vision of great German autobahns with the best roadways and such, but the reality is (just like in the USA) every road seems to be under massive construction.

I mean, we could just let them all fall apart.

When East Germany and West Germany reunified, Germany as a whole concentrated to a large extent on fixing the Eastern German infrastructure. With that repairs and expansion of Western German infrastructure fell behind and is currently being overhauled. So, while in the 90s and 00s you would go from construction to autobahn built in the 1930s to construction on a trip from Nuremberg to Berlin, you now have a perfect modern motorway all the way through - or even better a high speed train which makes the 300 miles trip in three hours.

Makes perfect sense to me!

It's a great podcast called "Escape this Podcast" and it's essentially an escape room, in Podcast form.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up.

They had a beautiful patio, if someone would ever call a BK patio such a thing, that overlooked verdant hills across the highway.

This might be the most beautiful Burger King in the world. Not a lot of competition.

Should have stopped earlier, but there wasn’t really any option to stop) and BK had closed its toilets because toilets cause the 'rona too.

Oh, man. And there are a lot of people who really need the toilets after eating at Burger King.

I hate paying to pee.

That would drive me insane.

We spent what felt like hours, but was only an hour, to get food.

:faint:

So, Michael send me this by email with the instructions to make sure to post it today, so I am doing exactly that!

Dear friends, readers and, apparently, one troll who visited and didn't find this report nearly as amusing as it happens it be, oops, we did it again. Maybe we need conservators to take care of us (and steal our money ... BTW, I have a connection to Britney Spears through her ex-lowlife attorney ... isn't that interesting? Or just distracting?)

Look, the bottom line is you all came here hoping to be educated and entertained, to laugh a little, and, perhaps, shed a tear. And what have you gotten for months? Bupkis.

Dare I say it? OK, I will, you all (even the dude in Delaware) deserve better.

I have written five installments of this amazing pandemic (funny how that is still going strong here when it is soooo over in Florida ... like for a good 15 or 16 months now) trip report to Europa Park and the Black Forest. And my memories are growing so hazy now that I might wind up back in Greece. Lost. Endlessly searching for a way out of my Grecian maze.

I'm not one to pass the buck. I like to keep my money, although I tipped our cleaning boy/servant today generously. Must be my meds. Or the flu shot I got yesterday, to go with my three 'rona vaccinations.

The delays right now are out of my hands, literally. The posts need photos from my beloved wife and commentary from her and Agatha. And ... we just wanted you to know we haven't forgotten.

But as a loaded international supercouple, with homes on multiple continents, who had a destination wedding celebration in Hawaii due to our real estate interest in the Disney Vacation Club, well, we've always busy. Not really with work, that's for the poors, although M did transition (she still uses the women's restrooms) into a new role in her high-level government position, but we're also busy with fun stuff.

We took a 25-day, 24-night (yes, I'm shocked as I type this) trip to Orlando from September 18-October 11 that saw us visit 11 theme/water parks, do two Halloween events (Sea World's inaugural Howl-O-Scream and Universal's 30th Anniversary Halloween Horror Nights) and eat our way from a Wendy's in Lakeland to the Del Taco near UNI, from the Capital Grille to the Bluezoo, from the Brown Derby to Steakhouse 71, from Citricos to the California Grill from ... OK, we ate well, you get the idea, right?

It was an amazing trip and I'd love to promise you a trip report because, frankly, I've never done a trip like this and it was truly magical. Low crowds (yes, even for WDW's 50th), lots of new experiences for us both, nice (by FL standards) weather, lots of time with family and friends (and a ride with a psychotic dolphin), four different resorts (one at UNI, three at WDW) and BEST OF ALL, no GRANDKIDS!!! (OK, this won't mean anything to 99% of you) so how about ... NO FREAKING FASTPASS OR PAID GENIE?! Low waits, lines that constantly move and no one cutting in front of you except people faking disabilities. In other words, to me it felt like a fall back in the 90s when this was the offseason. We rode Rise of the Resistance, for example, five times in roughly two weeks with no wait much longer than 45 minutes (and that was from walk into queue to exiting ride). We could have done so much more if we went at our old pace, but we took things slow ... we even passed up park days for pool days and mini golf days and water park days etc. I really would love for us to tell you about it. 617361

IMG_7303.jpeg

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7441.jpeg

IMG_7748.jpeg

IMG_8327.jpeg

IMG_7869.jpeg

IMG_8146.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpeg

But since we can't complete a short trip report (like that one on our February 2017 four day visit to O-Town and adventures at home in SoFla) or a life changing one (like that one where we went off to Asia for my 30th Birthday
(ahem....) in summer of 2017 and came back engaged), I will not even hint at a report on the above trip. It happened. We loved it, although we probably could have used a full month. And we're back.

But not for long.

Because our trip in June with the neighbors was such a success (no one died, Lil' C didn't wind up married to a German farm girl or a sheep, and we had oodles of fun), we have decided to tempt fate. And tomorrow we all are getting on a train for Paris to spend a week (three nights in city, three out near DLP, one in Frankfurt) traveling together to celebrate M's milestone 35th
(I wish... only one of those numbers is correct though) Birthday!!!

And I'm guessing this trip will also be report worthy, but come one ... you know who you are dealing with. You think it really is going to happen? Yeah, that and the Dolphins going to the Super Bowl ... or winning another game. Sure.

So why am I telling you this? Well, because I care. And because we do intend to get back to work on this report and actually finish it when we return from Paris. The City of Lights, The City of Love, The City That Smells Like Pee Everywhere, But You Don't Care Because OMG!!! This croissant is amazing! And The Wine Ain't Bad Either. And Everywhere You Look Is Really Artsy.

That sorta brings you up to date. Again, apologies for the endless delays. We just aren't great at following through with reports, especially when making more travel plans and actually traveling get in the way. To be fair, this should be it for travel for the rest of the year, although (MASSIVE KARDASHIAN BASCKSIDE SIZED SPOILER ALERT) after a 2.5 year break, I bought a new WDW Annual Pass and 'might' (I said might, wife, get off my case now ...) take a brief WDW trip alone in December to meet some good friends from Tennessee.

We do appreciate you sticking by us. You are (mostly) wonderful people. No, I wasn't putting anyone down. I just heard that a few of Fran and Alison's wonderful kitties enjoy reading our trip reports more than their Mommies' ones so ...

Don't we have some Hawaii trip planning to do? ... Oh dammit, I think I'm in Greece ... again. (This would be soooo much funnier if we had gotten further in the trip report already!)

Y'all have great Halloweens ... time to Google 'Halloween events in Paris' now.

I can't wait for the rest of this trip report! I was supposed to go to EuropaPark this fall (I already got some good tips from Michael that I have saved) but couldn't due to the 'rona & being from the US and unvaccinated. I will stick with you guys and hope you finish it before I go (fingers crossed) next September... 😉😋🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter