• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we finally sailing? The Disney Difference Sep/Oct 2016 it's a wrap!

Oh, I did this recently, too!! I was soooo ashamed! We took a train to the airport and I had packed a water bottle with the intent to drink it on the train and then take it with me empty through security. Who forgot everything about this water bottle by the time she got to security?? Me of course. I was sooo embarassed. Luckily it was not busy at the airport, so no big hold up. The nice security guy showed me my water bottle and was nice enough to ask if I wanted to drink the water. I did that - it was a reusable bottle that I did not want to throw out! He was impressed how quikly I could down half a litre of water!

I love Pret a Manger! One of my must dos when I am in the UK (and I haven't been there in such a long time...). And :rotfl2: on the tea comment!

nice watch!

I hope Disney food helped with gaining kilos! It always does that for me, even when I try to acchieve the oppsite...

I am glad I am not the only one re liquids at security! No Pret in Germany? Boo hoo. That was nice of the security guy to give you a chance to down your drink and keep the bottle. A mental note not to enter into a beer drinking contest with you then lol!

Thanks for joining. It is late there! Sorry we missed you by a few weeks or so. Maybe next year!

I just made it in before the "Twilight Zone" kicked in! LOL!

Sounds like you guys made it through pretty smoothly. Fran purposely tried to hide a bottle of Mtn Dew in her carry on. Boy the search she got for THAT one! :faint:

Normally we just plan on arriving late, the only time that we book another room is if we have to come in a day early because we book the rooms first and then wait to book the airfare. Sometimes we have to do funny things with the rooms like add a night at the end or the beginning. This trip we are leaving a day early, but I didn't cancel the room. I didn't want to check out at 11AM and then be homeless for another five hours before we caught the DME. Besides, we have no idea when we will be back (besides two days in March after a Fantasy cruise). More on that in my TR when I launch it in a couple weeks.

Glad you liked ASMu. I've never stayed at a Value and I'm a little scared since we've only done Moderates and Deluxes. I'm afraid they will be overrun with screaming kids.

And other than McDonalds, I have no idea what any of these chains you're talking about are.

I just made it in before the "Twilight Zone" kicked in! LOL!

Sounds like you guys made it through pretty smoothly. Fran purposely tried to hide a bottle of Mtn Dew in her carry on. Boy the search she got for THAT one! :faint:

Normally we just plan on arriving late, the only time that we book another room is if we have to come in a day early because we book the rooms first and then wait to book the airfare. Sometimes we have to do funny things with the rooms like add a night at the end or the beginning. This trip we are leaving a day early, but I didn't cancel the room. I didn't want to check out at 11AM and then be homeless for another five hours before we caught the DME. Besides, we have no idea when we will be back (besides two days in March after a Fantasy cruise). More on that in my TR when I launch it in a couple weeks.

Glad you liked ASMu. I've never stayed at a Value and I'm a little scared since we've only done Moderates and Deluxes. I'm afraid they will be overrun with screaming kids.

And other than McDonalds, I have no idea what any of these chains you're talking about are.

Lol re the Mountain Dew!

We did that once had a room for check out day as we have a night flight. Oh it was bliss! Whenever we have extra points we will def do that again!

Looking forward to the new TR!

Day 2 Car and meet friends day

Sunday 19th September

Anyone travelling west knows that bing! early morning waking feeling. It's like your eyes spring open at ridiculous o'clock and they won't jam back down to even blink. Even though you are tired and it's dark outside your body says it's own own time zine still so come on lady feed me. We try and get in the time zone as fast as possible. So we waited as long as possible to have the cereal we had in our room. We had got juice, cereal and milk from the food court the night before. It was no good the Fruit loops were dancing on the side calling Polly...Polly.. Come to me we are full of sugar..

Our morning breakfast routine on vacation is we eat like Hobbits. There is breakfast.... Then second breakfast.... Cereal first thing when we wake. Then later we hit the food court for something else that takes our fancy.

With first breakfast scored we phoned Alamo for a shuttle to pick us up to get the rental car. It would be here at 9:00 am so we headed to the food court. This is really cool at All Star Movies. Refillable mugs bought we got some drinks. Jo wasn't happy that the mugs now don't have handles but I preferred it. It fits in my rollator or wheelchair bag better. So the jury is divided on that one. I conclude they should offer both options. We decided on splitting a Mickey waffle breakfast. That was double plus good.

We then got bell hop to pick up our zillion bags and the purple owners locker and move it to our next resort Saratoga Springs. Next we got the shuttle to Alamo car centre near the Magic Kingdom. All Alamo shuttles have lifts which is cool. We got a white Jeep which Jo said would hold all our bags and mobility devices. I have a lot of baggage for a little lady...

Next stop was Walmart, now this Publix and Target are like the Holy Grail to us International travellers. I still recall the first time I walked down an aisle past the sodas to see guns.... I had to do a double take! We have no guns for sale expect water pistols in the UK. We got some goodies like cereal, water, soda , snacks etc. We also got phone cards and a Tracfone each. This works out way cheaper than using our own cells. It's good to be able to phone each other in case we get separated away from wifi. I had cut my elbow so Jo went to get bandaids and came back with cool Frozen themed bandaids and also another item that made me laugh out loud. A fully inflatable gator was in the cart...
image.jpeg

Jo said a Walmart worker was removing it from the display and so Jo being Jo enquired what he was going to do with it. He said he was going to trash it. Jo then said how much for the gator thinking of a local friend who lives in Kissemee we were meeting up with later in the week. Dana our friend would find this a hoot. He said $5 so bargain snapped ( excuse the pun ) in went Gator into our cart!

Then we headed off to Disney Springs. Jo took me on a detour to Pandora and got me this amazing surprise birthday gift of a bracelet and some charms. I was over the Disney moon...

image.jpeg
We had lunch at Earl of Sandwich. One of our favourites. I had turkey and cranberry and Jo had the club. Of course I had a cup of tea...

After this it was onto Disney Hollywood Studios. I needed to get a DAS card and also we were set to see some friends we had meet at Animal Kingdom club lounge 3 years before and stayed in touch. It was lucky we were all there at the same time again. It was funny because 3 years ago we were staying at Kidani for my birthday on disney vacation points but there was a 'technical difficulty' with our room and we were upgraded to a one bed suite in the hotel portion of Jambo club. It was truly magical! ...The Disney difference. That is where we meet Kim and her lovely family. Remember this...a similar theme will appear later...

We parked at DHS which has super close disabled parking to the gate and were soon through bag check and into the park. A stop by guest services and they soon activated my DAS card. Then as agreed we meet Kim her two lovely children and charming husband. I won't include a photo of them to protect the innocent.... Make up your own mind if I have imagery friends lol.

We added their magic bands to my DAS and got a return time for TSMWM. We then chatted and they gave me a lovely birthday gift of a Star Wars magic band..
image.jpeg

Then we had fun riding TSMWM together. Why must I always be a beaver lol! Jo is good at this and always gets best in car. I am proud! We then had a drink outside ABC Commissary and caught the Star Wars show which was cool.

Soon it was time to say goodbye. They were staying at the Caribbean Beach and there had been a slight flood in their room so they were switching rooms. Later Disney gave them a credit on their room. The Disney difference. As we left the park we got a photo with Olaf...
image.jpeg

We went back to SSR and got our room. We were in The Grandstand. It was the first time we had ever booked a one bed villa. Typically we get a studio. We wanted to see what it was like. It was super! So much more room. It is double the points though. It was a big mistake. Never upgrade... It's hard to go back.

That evening tired we went to the Olive Garden. I nearly fell asleep in my spaghetti. I had the kids pasta and shrimp. I usually eat off the kids menu as I can't eat large portions at a time. Jo had a similar issue ... Going for the full tour of northern Italy lol..

It was a good meal but the service we noted was poor compared to previous years. That is a shame. With so many dining in Disney you would think they would welcome more guests. We went to bed, watch some shows like CSI and slept happy.

Next day The Sheriffs office ( don't worry just for a disabled badge they don't lock me up just yet.. )

I am loving your TR :) I feel I'm on the trip with you.

What is this, someone stole your watch at the hospital? What horrible horrible people would do that??? :furious::furious::furious: Lovely to get a replacement, and in my favorite color too :)

Your travel day sounded nice and smooth.

The inflatable gator is too funny. Did your friend like it?

Beautiful Pandora goodies.

I am loving your TR :) I feel I'm on the trip with you.

What is this, someone stole your watch at the hospital? What horrible horrible people would do that??? :furious::furious::furious: Lovely to get a replacement, and in my favorite color too :)

Your travel day sounded nice and smooth.

The inflatable gator is too funny. Did your friend like it?

Beautiful Pandora goodies.

I know re my watch! I was most upset.

Dana loved the Gator and put it in her pool as a joke! I wanted to leave it in our room at SSR and call maintenance but Jo said they would not see the funny side...

Great trip review so far! I love your new watch! I've contemplated a back to back cruise a few times so I can't wait to hear what you thought. So far we've opted to do the 7 day itinerary instead.

Great trip review so far! I love your new watch! I've contemplated a back to back cruise a few times so I can't wait to hear what you thought. So far we've opted to do the 7 day itinerary instead.

Welcome! We have not done the 7 night but would like to. The back to back was awsome. Much cheaper too! We will def do this again sometime. Thank you for your compliments.

Polly, I am laughing so much at your updates! You truly have a talent for writing!

I know what you mean about the one bedrooms... We stayed in one in 2013 and it was bliss! Will be in one later this year at VWL for 10 nights and I am so excited. I am not going to think about the number of points this requires though. However, after August at the Grand Californian in a studio, the December one bedroom seems to be a steal.

Hi Polly! :) I found something new to read! YAY!

Just getting ready to take off myself, but will be back to catch up and read everything when I get back. Wanted to be sure to sub in though. :)

Polly, I am laughing so much at your updates! You truly have a talent for writing!

I know what you mean about the one bedrooms... We stayed in one in 2013 and it was bliss! Will be in one later this year at VWL for 10 nights and I am so excited. I am not going to think about the number of points this requires though. However, after August at the Grand Californian in a studio, the December one bedroom seems to be a steal.

Glad you are enjoying it! How lovely you have a one bed at VWL we just adore that resort. Stayed there at Christmas and feel in love with the place.

It is best not to think about the points. Only about the room you have and all its glory!

Hi Polly! :) I found something new to read! YAY!

Just getting ready to take off myself, but will be back to catch up and read everything when I get back. Wanted to be sure to sub in though. :)

Great to have you join thank you! I hope you have a magical time. Glad you dodged Matthew! Have a great trip.

Day 3

Monday September 19th

The Sheriffs office and Raiders of the lost Cogsworth

We woke in our one bed villa at Saratoga springs. A living space and a full kitchen. Jo looked at the full kitchen and laughed and said yeah right.... That cooker will get a rest this vacation. One of Jo's favourite things is what we call Jack and Jill sinks I don't know if outside the UK you use this term. Two sinks side by side. The one bed sadly does not gift you this. But there are two bathrooms. Not that we needed them but two women have a lot of toiletries.

Here is our room before we trash the joint....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We had our first hobbit breakfast and chatted about our day. Jo said she liked the one bed and extra space but would probably not use the points again. She would u turn by the end of the week. I had already landed there the moment my band went green.

First we needed to hit the Artist Palette which is the quick service at Saratoga Springs. They have a delight there we are addicted it. It is a warm cinnamon bun that is covered in icing. It is a food group to itself. I have to bow before eating it with respect.....
image.jpeg

With cokes and teas to go we were soon on the road to the sheriffs office in Kissimmee. Orlando do a fabulous scheme where you can show your UK disabled parking badge and get a US temporary permit for the duration of your stay. Although Disney will honour the UK badge places outside like Walmart and restaurants do not. It is a life saver. It only takes around 20 minutes to drive down there and it is invaluable on our trip.

Today we have a BOG lunch booked! We also have FP+ for Peter Pan. I also want to see if they have the Cogsworth clock back in stock. For the last two visits I have been desperate for this little fella to join my Lumiere candle at home. Alas ( queue violin music at Palo ) he has been out of stock. Here's hoping.

Permit scored we drove back to SSR and picked up the bus to MK. The Grandstand is a good place to get the bus it is the first pick up...

image.jpeg

We missed our FP+ for Mr Pan another FP into the ether...how many of these slip away... But we never worry. Missing food now that is tragic.. We make our ADR ok for BOG....

image.jpeg

How we adore this place. We love the setting and the food. I had the turkey sandwich and Jo had the beef baguette.

I was sad that I had not got an ADR dinner for my 45th birthday October 1st which was also MK's 45th birthday! You see me and MK were born on the same day. Birth twins! We tried at 180 days to the second. Nothing... Tried every day since..nothing. We booked Tony's instead. We do love Tony's but prefer BOG. Jo excused herself and slopped off I assumed to the rest room. When she returned she had a big grin on her face like she swallowed a banana sideways. She handed me a sheet of paper but I couldn't read it. I found out before the trip I have cataracts in both eyes. That is why my eyes are failing me. I am trying to trust my Jedi insticts instead... I am very limited in sight right now. I am just waiting to find out if this can be surgically improved. Whilst usually not a problem I have uveitis and glaucoma. So surgery is risky. I pray they can at least save one eye. Otherwise I will slowly loose my sight. When 800 years you reach. Look as good you will mmmm...

Jo read me the sheet of paper. It was an invitation for 2 to dinner at Be at Guest for October the 1st! What! Jo had spoken to the manager. Explained how ill I had been and that it was my birthday asked if there was anything they could do. She said she would try her best. Some glaring at a computer screen later she had success ...The Disney difference.

Thrilled we left happy and in complete shock. Could our luck extend to Cogsworth? We went to the store by Gaston in FantasyLand. The Cogg as Jo calls him was on display... Jo immediately asked the CM if they had any... She went to check. Thump , thump, thump, my heart.. The CM comes back with a smile and a white box..

Cogsworth is scored! I got Jo a leather notebook book she really fell in love with. Jo never asks for many things so the moment she shows interest I jump on it. AP discount on our purchases thank you.

I am on cloud 9. BOG dinner on my birthday and BOG lunch onboard and the Cog plus Jo's notebook for work in a WDW plastic bag. It turns out we would need a 1 bed for these carrier bags that would mysteriously mount up.

Here is The Cog at home with his pal big Lumiere and little Lumiere..
image.jpeg

Little lumiere is a Christmas decoration that 'fell in the cart' at Disney Springs later in the vacation. Items kept doing that...

To be continued..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 10
Day 3 continued....

We left MK and went back for a rest by the pool. Later we decided to go to the outlet mall to the sketchers store. We both adore sketchers and they are much cheaper in the US. At the outlet mall they are buy one get one 50% off. I joked with the assistant what about the other shoe though..

We both ended up getting two pairs. Into the blue bags they went. It was a nice dry day which was good. On previous occasions when it has rained Jo has come away looking like a smurf. The blue paint comes off those bags...

I was now really tired and we realised we had overdone things. Needing some food we went to a favourite of ours the Longhorn. We both had burgers but again the food was lovely but the service which previously had been excellent was shockingly poor. Our server was actually rude and upset me deeply with a hurtful comment about my dietary requirements. Jo was furious.

What has happened to the Olive Garden chain of restaurants customer service?

We had an early night and watched some episodes of Shark Tank. I really like this and Jo was warming to it...

Next up.. Day 4 and A visit to the Post Office and Prime Time.

You got quite a lot in on this day. Lots of driving around and still managed to get to MK for a delicious lunch.

How awesome about the birthday dinner at BoG :cool1:

Cogsworth is soooo cute!

I'm sorry about the server at Longhorn. Did you tell the manager?

You got quite a lot in on this day. Lots of driving around and still managed to get to MK for a delicious lunch.

How awesome about the birthday dinner at BoG :cool1:

Cogsworth is soooo cute!

I'm sorry about the server at Longhorn. Did you tell the manager?

Thank you Pam. Yes sadly the manager had the same attitude. Doesn't promote one to dine outside Disney when the service we got in Disney was first class. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Don't they want customers?

Day 4 A visit to the Post Office and Prime Time plus the introduction to the Minnie and me adventure

Tuesday 20th September

We woke up in our mansion two bathroom it's not worth the points quote from Jo one bed. Fruit loops at the ready they were soon dancing their merry tune in my digestive system. Jo shower us ( yes I need assistance too much information lol ) and soon we were ready for the AP quick service stop.

Hot sticky and early type 2 diabetes bun later and two cokes scored I was laughing to myself how I raised my eyes to those on the boards who had mentioned the annoyance of having to wait in-between mug refills. Who hasn't got 2-3 minutes on vacation to wait for a second beverage? Well I was also toe tapping lol. Thirsty I liked to down one soda then refill to go. Actually I take it back...3 minutes seemed ages!

Jo had told me that her best friend Claire had given her some money to give me to spend on something for my birthday. Her only 2 caveats was it had to be something fun and full of bling. I was up for this challenge. The second caveat was that no matter what I selected Jo was to allow me to have it no matter how cringe worthy she found it. Eager to find something to fit the bill I went to look in the SSR store. I found the perfect item! It shone from the shelf... Sang to me as I heard Jo in the background in slow motion say 'Pollllyyyyy noooooo'... But Claire said I could...

Jo's face was priceless. Jo enquired as we paid for the item did I have plans to take this around with me? Her voice started a note of fear... On the cruise? In conceirge areas? Oh yes I replied. Claire is going to get regular updates and photos with me in various places from now on with this item.

Ladies and Gentlefolk. The master invites you to ( drum roll please ) Polly's adventures with the Minnie Handbag!

Here she is....the one and only... ( made in China with 50 billion others )
image.jpeg

I would like to note it was Jo that said if I was going to commit handbag sucicide then I might as well have matching socks.

From now on spot Minnie and me in various photographs. My personal favourite is at the muster drill later on. I actually grow to love this handbag. Much to Jo's horror. I swear she tries to throw it in the Atlantic at one point..

I will leave you to digest that gem and continue momentarily like the monorail. In the meantime here some Pirate music you get on hold when phoning Disney that goes quiet and you rush the phone off speaker thinking they have come back but the music starts again.

Jack and Jill sinks

I've heard the term used by South Africans in Australia.

me and MK were born on the same day. Birth twins!

'That's a great twin to have!!!

BOG dinner on my birthday and BOG lunch onboard and the Cog plus Jo's notebook for work in a WDW plastic bag.

What awesome scores! I LOVE your Cog and Lumiere and little Lumiere.

And how awesome that Jo managed to get Disney magic to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter