Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
We brought a couple of friends over from the UK for their first disney visit. We had a ball! However, on one day they were acting funny and we finally said "WHAT is it??" and they sheepishly asked why everyone was fat.

:oops:

I looked around and I guess the views were vastly different than how we all looked in the 1970s. Not sure what has happened.

I don't do world travel, but am wondering...do we as americans look different than non-tourists in the EU and south ameria and australia etc?

And if so....why?

We brought a couple of friends over from the UK for their first disney visit. We had a ball! However, on one day they were acting funny and we finally said "WHAT is it??" and they sheepishly asked why everyone was fat.

:oops:

I looked around and I guess the views were vastly different than how we all looked in the 1970s. Not sure what has happened.

I don't do world travel, but am wondering...do we as americans look different than non-tourists in the EU and south ameria and australia etc?

And if so....why?
I've lived in the UK. There are people of all sizes there too. Some very slim to some quite large. Not sure why your visitors had the reaction they did.

I will say there are generally noticeable differences between the UK and US folks when it comes to dentistry.

It's true that the US has an oebsity problem. The reasons can be debated, but I think it really boils down to our lifestyle. We in the US have had safety and security and prosperity for a long time now, and that impacts how we live. We have no shortage of food, easy to access and inexpensive. We work a lot and often choose convenience foods that are highly processed but quick and easy. We have tons of space which creates urban sprawl and the need to drive everywhere - we rarely walk. These are the "rewards" of living in such a wealthy and developed country. Other developed nations are seeing the trend too, but it hasn't been as extreme as in the US yet.

A family member who travels for work said we do indeed have an obesity problem. I was told it definitely stands out when you compare.

I've thought back to growing up in the 60s and 70s. Everyone's mamas and daddys were thin. Mama stayed home and did house chores. She didn't exercise, nor did Grandmama. They sewed and cooked and cleaned. No aerobics and pilates. But they were skinny. We ate honey buns and pound cake and ate well portioned home cooked meals. It wasn't kale and salads. It was actually not healthy by today's standards, but yet we were thin.

So curious what is going on...

Im from Ireland and I have been visiting America for over 20 years. Generally speaking yes there is a size difference between UK, Irish and central Europeans and Americans.

I notice it more due to clothes sizes. In Disneyland California there is a big difference in sizes of Spirt Jerseys compared to Disneyland Paris.

Americans are also taller in general. So a tall American person may be more heavy set, and appear bigger while not necessarily be fat, if that makes sense.

Portion sizes are very different, theres lots of You Tube videos comparing things like American McDonalds and European McDonalds. We also generally dont have unlimited refills for soda in fast food places.

Another difference I notice is that in general America is more car dependant than in Europe, so Europeans will walk more.

While yes we do have obesity issues in European, in general, after 20 years of travelling to multiple states in America and multiple countries in Europe, Americans are bigger.

I've lived in the UK. There are people of all sizes there too.
Definitely true. However, the rates are different.

This paper (published in 2020) has data that is a little out of date, but:

Estimated (2016)* [...] age-standardized obesity prevalence (%; ages 20–84 years)
UK Men 29.3 Women 31.3
USA Men 37.5 Women 39.5

I notice it more due to clothes sizes.
This. I had my bag mis-directed for about three days on a flight to Stockholm a while back, and had to buy some clothes to get me through the last day or two. It was then that I discovered that the Swedes are a very thin people, comparatively speaking. ;)

I've thought back to growing up in the 60s and 70s. Everyone's mamas and daddys were thin. Mama stayed home and did house chores. She didn't exercise, nor did Grandmama. They sewed and cooked and cleaned. No aerobics and pilates. But they were skinny. We ate honey buns and pound cake and ate well portioned home cooked meals. It wasn't kale and salads. It was actually not healthy by today's standards, but yet we were thin.

Another reason why Americans in general are bigger / fatter than Europeans is to do with food regulations.

European food standards are higher than American food standards. There are far few artificial additives in European food. Its one thing Americans always notice when they travel here to Europe, and compare food labels. Even our fast food is healthier, theres a big difference in the ingredients of Mcdonalds fries and burgers here in Europe, theres lots of YouTube videos comparing ingredients in American and European foods.

Yes, we do, but I think other western nations do, as well. Super size everything has a lot to do with it, and automated labor and better transportation, etc.

Increased food and less activity = increased weight.

The funny part is how many international travelers there are at Disney. The people who made their jaws drop may have, in fact, been from their own or another country! I’ve seen plenty of international groups bulging out of their clothes and Speedos, lol.

Ehm... yes...?
I am from the Netherlands and we are by no means saints, we come in all shapes and sizes. And we are definitely not the skinniest in Europe.

But yes, travelling to the US makes me feel skinny. I am average size, normal healthy weight here, not particularly skinny.

Yes, it is noticeable in WDW, because you see people on ECVs where you assume, the have to use the mobility device because they are not able to walk anymore (for longer periods).

It is one thing that stood out to me the most when travelling to WDW the first time. It was something that was impossible to miss and something I had never seen back home.

I do want to add that it is probably more noticeable in WDW as it is a place where people of all sizes can enjoy themselves. Not every destination is that plus size friendly. Because there are ECVs to rent, because there are things to do regardless of size.

Reasons how the difference became bigger? Here in Europe we have stricter regulations when it comes to adding sugar etc. to foods.

And for my own country, walking or biking to get to a destination nearby is normal. While I get the impression an American needs a car to get to the next street.

Also media doesn't help, programs as "my 600 lbs life" etc. are American programs we can watch here. So our perception of Americans when it comes to size can differ from reality.

They didn’t have instacart, door dash, and Amazon same day delivery. I think people forget how much convenience has made a difference in where and how we move (or don’t).

I also think the transition from Urban to Suburban was still happening in the 70s - I clearly remember walking to the grocery stores, bakery, and butchers in the 70s because that’s what you did.

I'm surprised this is news to you. I've read about this many times in the last couple decades.

Portion sizes are huge in North America compared to Europe. The diet is way worse. Look at the size of large sodas in restaurants.

Yes, we do, but I think other western nations do, as well. Super size everything has a lot to do with it, and automated labor and better transportation, etc.

But European fast food is healthier than American fast food due to EU food regulation laws. So while we do have obesity issues its no where near the same % of the population as in America.

Another reason why Americans in general are bigger / fatter than Europeans is to do with food regulations.

European food standards are higher than American food standards. There are far few artificial additives in European food. Its one thing Americans always notice when they travel here to Europe, and compare food labels. Even our fast food is healthier, theres a big difference in the ingredients of Mcdonalds fries and burgers here in Europe, theres lots of YouTube videos comparing ingredients in American and European foods.
The US also tends to use way more sugar/corn syrup than should be allowed. Why is it in everything?

Back in the 80s a person ( I use that word loosely) I knew was visiting the US from CH. He took a lot of photos of people due to their weight. I seem to recall my last words to him was something about not realizing I was interested in beastiality until I met him.
Although we have mutual friends we make it a point to never meet.

It’s true, although the UK is starting to catch up but the US is still well in the lead. The biggest contrast I have seen was when my daughter and I visited Tokyo Disney. At the buffet we went to the plates were about half the size of the plates in the US, and we saw almost no fat people during our trip. Probably a correlation there. Moreover, I am a bit over 6 feet and about 165 lbs and found several of the rides uncomfortably tight, while in the US I always have more than enough room.

They didn’t have instacart, door dash, and Amazon same day delivery. I think people forget how much convenience has made a difference in where and how we move (or don’t).

I also think the transition from Urban to Suburban was still happening in the 70s - I clearly remember walking to the grocery stores, bakery, and butchers in the 70s because that’s what you did.

Yes, because we can take advantage of convenience, we do. It's human nature. We can afford cars. We can afford to live in sprawling suburbs. All of that contributes.

Going back a long time, fatness was a status symbol, a sign of wealth. "Look at me, I don't have to work and have all the food I want." America is the Henry VIII of countries!

Yes, because we can take advantage of convenience, we do. It's human nature. We can afford cars. We can afford to live in sprawling suburbs. All of that contributes.

Going back a long time, fatness was a status symbol, a sign of wealth. "Look at me, I don't have to work and have all the food I want." America is the Henry VIII of countries!
I’m all in on convenience and I definitely “look wealthy” :)

Yes, it is noticeable in WDW, because you see people on ECVs where you assume, the have to use the mobility device because they are not able to walk anymore (for longer periods).

It is one thing that stood out to me the most when travelling to WDW the first time. It was something that was impossible to miss and something I had never seen back home.

I do want to add that it is probably more noticeable in WDW as it is a place where people of all sizes can enjoy themselves. Not every destination is that plus size friendly. Because there are ECVs to rent, because there are things to do regardless of size.
I use an ECV because I have osteoarthritis in my right knee, not because I'm fat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter