Are DVC folks still using the TIW cards? I see they are 150 now..

Disney wants the cardholder to pay the bill because that's how they calculate the appropriate price to charge for the card. They expect most people to be paying for an average number of people, not maxing out the terms. The cardholder is the one purchasing the right to the discount. Sharing it is king of like stealing cable; the contract you make doesn't allow sharing.

It seems odd to me that they would allow 10 people to utilize the card at 1 given time, and not allow others be a part of it...Surely they don't think that the majority of WDW visitors have 10 immediate family members...:confused3..

Either way It's nothing like your cable analogy... I pay the bill on my credit card Or just cash & I get it back from the rest of the group....Easy peasy....

It seems odd to me that they would allow 10 people to utilize the card at 1 given time, and not allow others be a part of it...Surely they don't think that the majority of WDW visitors have 10 immediate family members...:confused3..

Either way It's nothing like your cable analogy... I pay the bill on my credit card Or just cash & I get it back from the rest of the group....Easy peasy....
Of course they don't think the average guest has 10 immediate family members traveling with them. They set the limit at 10 because it covers the vast majority of immediate families; the sixth sigma, so to speak.

The cable analogy works because you don't share your cable or wifi with your neighbor and collect half the bill from them every month. At least not within the legal framework of your agreement with the cable company. The TiW discount card constitutes a legal agreement between you Disney. The same way you can't But a seven day ticket, use four day, and sell the remaining three days to someone else.

Just because this restriction is easy to get around doesn't mean is okay to do, or that Disney is wrong to enforce it.

We had 4 households (all extended family) with 8 adults, 3 kids over age 2. I did not go through my receipts yet, but I think I did better than break even. I know the other 3 households did well. There were a few character meals, a few Olivia's visits, some Gurgling Suitcase purchases, as well as our required Raglan Road visit. It was an easy decision to buy it at $150 for that trip, especially knowing there will be a future 2 person trip before the card expires, but I will have to weigh it in the future.

Our routine was for me to put the first meal on my debit/credit card, take a photo of the receipt, and figure out each household's share later. For the next meal, I had some people transfer money owed from the first meal to my account or give me cash, and I would use my replenished card plus any cash received to pay for the next meal.

If all the venues calculate the same way, I figured if we add up the gross charges for food and drink for each household (before TiW discount), ignoring the 18% added tip and 6.5% sales tax, each household would take the total food and drink cost, and multiple by 1.03, the total collected from each party would be very close to the new total bill after the TiW card discount is applied and you receive the adjusted check.

We sought refuge one day in the Rose & Crown during an extended period of heavy rain, so I was glad to have the card that day.

I'm going to buy one this year due to a special celebration. The last time I bought one it was at DTD. Can they also be purchased at guest services at any of the parks?

I'm going to buy one this year due to a special celebration. The last time I bought one it was at DTD. Can they also be purchased at guest services at any of the parks?

Yes. We got ours at the front Epcot Guest Relations entrance last week.

I have not purchased one since it went up in Price. I used to rave about it but the additional cost made it harder to get a return on investment.

I just have my guests pay me afterwards. No, they are not immediate family. And only once have I actually seen anyone being so strict as to say that seeing cash change hands would result in forfeiting the discount. So for the most part they are not that strict. But they could be, if they wanted to. However, they cannot stop you from paying up later. the restriction is not that all persons participating must be immediate family members of the cardholder. It's that the cardholder must pay the check. They can't enforce anything else.

At Jock Lindsey's they asked for an ID also, to ensure it was my card. That could also happen at any time.

Last edited:
Of course they don't think the average guest has 10 immediate family members traveling with them. They set the limit at 10 because it covers the vast majority of immediate families; the sixth sigma, so to speak.

The cable analogy works because you don't share your cable or wifi with your neighbor and collect half the bill from them every month. At least not within the legal framework of your agreement with the cable company. The TiW discount card constitutes a legal agreement between you Disney. The same way you can't But a seven day ticket, use four day, and sell the remaining three days to someone else.

Just because this restriction is easy to get around doesn't mean is okay to do, or that Disney is wrong to enforce it.
I don't know what happened to the laughing emoji, but this post is almost hysterical as the last.

It's now illegal to share the cost of dinner.
Doesn't get any better than that.

MG

I don't know what happened to the laughing emoji, but this post is almost hysterical as the last.

It's now illegal to share the cost of dinner.
Doesn't get any better than that.

MG
Who said it was illegal? It's a violation of the contract you agree to when you purchase the card, which makes it a civil matter. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of splitting dinner. I'm trying to explain why Disney has the right to refuse the discount if they see you violating their terms.

Who said it was illegal? It's a violation of the contract you agree to when you purchase the card, which makes it a civil matter. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of splitting dinner. I'm trying to explain why Disney has the right to refuse the discount if they see you violating their terms.
You said "it constitutes a legal agreement".
It's laughable. We, as family and friends, can divvy up our expenses for rooms, meals, transportation, or any other expense.
It's NONE of Disney's business how we opt to do that. None. I don't even see that written in the rules. We must pay the check. Woo freeking hoo. That doesn't explain who must bear the cost. There's also the "I'll get the dinners, you get the room" type things.

The arguement is beyond silly.

MG

As a party of 5, with 2 out of our 3 kids being Disney adults.. the TiW card absolutely makes sense for us. We get 2 long (8-10 days) trips w/ the kids and at least 1 long weekend alone out of it. I'm sure with a smaller party it can be harder to justify.

As a party of 5, with 2 out of our 3 kids being Disney adults.. the TiW card absolutely makes sense for us. We get 2 long (8-10 days) trips w/ the kids and at least 1 long weekend alone out of it. I'm sure with a smaller party it can be harder to justify.
We are just two adults. One that doesn't drink.

We had to really crunch some numbers. And we have two trips planned. But we rarely eat at signatures and alcohol isn't much of our bill.

We just came back from an 11 day trip, 7 of which was a party of 6. I ran numbers for every possible dining scenario and ended up getting the TIW card. We came out ahead but not by much when you factor in the $150 cost and the other available DVC 10% discount. We were able to use it at the TOTW Lounge which was a nice benefit. We are planning another trip before the card expires in Oct 2017.

We just got back from our very first trip as DVC owners and we did spring for the card. Three adults (myself, DH, and Mother) who all enjoy a cocktail with dinner and one child (DS). After extensive number crunching, it turned out to save us about $75 - give or take. I think it was worth it and would use again. Now when we go back and its just DH and I (and DS) - we would just break even, but we would still get the free valet.

Yea, as a passholder, we now get 20% discount at 45 locations. the value of my TIW card just dropped. Glad I got my money's worth out of it from my 2 weeks in May and 1 week in August. Heading back in 2 weeks for a 2 week trip (which includes a 4 night cruise). Hoping that there will be an increase for TIW cardholders for the 45th anniversary, but not holding my breath.

Yea, as a passholder, we now get 20% discount at 45 locations. the value of my TIW card just dropped. Glad I got my money's worth out of it from my 2 weeks in May and 1 week in August. Heading back in 2 weeks for a 2 week trip (which includes a 4 night cruise). Hoping that there will be an increase for TIW cardholders for the 45th anniversary, but not holding my breath.
Back to the drawing board.

I don't have to make a decision until the very end of November.

Does anyone see any blackout dates? I didn't even on the WDW website. I may change my NYE reservation if there are no blackout dates.

Lots of folks were noticing that there were none noted (as of yet). I'm guessing more info will be released. This is all effective tomorrow.....Oct. 2 (I think -- I've read so much it's getting overwhelming)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter