• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Apparently, it's the simple things

GenevieveRaqs

DIS Veteran
We're preparing for our upcoming trip for DS's 6th birthday the first week of June. He's been to WDW once, when he was 4. On the way to school this morning, I asked him what his top priorities were. I thought his list was enlightening amidst the FP+/Magic Band/Throwaway Room/BOG/Anna-and-Elsa hysteria that has been so pervasive lately.

1. Get a popsicle (not even a Mickey bar, just a popsicle!)
2. Dumbo
3. Imagination
4. Spaceship Earth
5. POTC
6. "The Pyramid" (the Mexico boat ride)
7. Country Bears Jamboree

And there you have it, from the mouth of a 5-year old. A short list of attractions that are mostly walk-ons nearly every day of the year, plus one popsicle. :) If he accomplishes those things in the six days we'll be in Orlando, he'll be happy. While we don't tend to go over the top with a bunch of add-on experiences, his list certainly made me stop to think about how the little things can be as, if not more, magical than many of the "must-do" experiences, especially for a young child.

We have no kiddies, and are going for 14 days, so long as we do the main things at least once each during our stay we'll be happy.

If i can do BTMRR more than once, great, but the joy is in being there, rather than at work.

Yeah the list I got from my DD that turns 6 right before the trip was filled with similar things...

1) Carousel
2) dumbo
3) Cupcake with purple icing
4) See the Castle

Anything else is more icing on that cupcake for her.

We do go a lot (2x year), so my DS may not be a typical kid, but he always asks to go to one of the kids clubs for the evening. I found that hysterical because we both work FT so he is used to being in daycare and now that he is older school/daycare everyday you would think he would want a break from it. Nope, its one of his favorite things, so DH and I usually plan a nice dinner for just us and give him his wish.

We have taken both of my nieces with us and I found it best just to plan one or two special surprises on those trips. They were thrilled enough just being there, they didn't really need all the extras. Even with my 2 kids, we usually plan one special thing per trip. It really is the little things that they remember anyway.

From my 17 yr old, 12th annual trip in 25 days

Splash
Philharmagic
Laugh Floor
Ride in a shell ( this could be nemo or Under the sea)
Dole Whip
Hot dog from Caseys
Turkey Leg
Frozen banana
Horrible chocolate covered marshmallow smothered in MnM's (See signature photo)

When asked about Anna and Elsa- having found a fastpass+ time---uh...no

When we were trying to decide which Disney resort to stay in my husband and I were at odds, he wanted to stay in the Contemporary to be on the monorail and I wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I asked my 13 year old DS which resort he would choose, he told me as long as he could get something to eat for breakfast he didn't care where we stayed. I guess I should have guessed that food would be at the top of a growing boys list.

My 18 year old DS agreed with me so we are staying at Animal Kingdom, plus its someplace new we have stayed at the Contemporary before. Can't wait to see all the animals every morning!

DD's (4 will be 5 for our trip), is to go upstairs at the Castle... that's it... the hallway with mosiacs is just not enough...

Little does she know we have CRT booked!!!

My next visit to WDW will be to take my young niece. We'll be taking a very different trip than usual, skipping rides like Space Mountain (and possibly even skipping my favorite... Haunted Mansion... because she might be too scared) in favor of Dumbo, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, etc.

I'm sure that being at MK will be super magical for her. We won't be providing a laundry list of rides ahead of time... I don't want her to feel like she "missed out" on anything. We'll be going in with no expectations and will be content to just experience the magic of Disney through the eyes of the child we're bringing.

I know what you're thinking... "who are you and what have you done with Bob?" :rotfl:

From my 3 year old......
1. Buzz Lightyear SRS
2. Buzz Lightyear SRS
3. Meet Buzz Lightyear
4. Get a new Buzz toy
5. Buzz Lightyear SRS
6. Mickey ice cream.
7. Breakfast with Mickey (chef Mickey)

Done. And done kid.

Aw, so cute! :)

My kids' favorite thing about Disney is the waterparks. If we can't make it to a waterpark, then their favorite part of the day is the hotel pool. They are good sports though and will tour the parks for my husband and I ;)

My 3 year old last night said he wanted to -

1. Walk
2. See animals

Sounds pretty easy. There will be plenty of walking and last trip he was happy to see the ducks!

My younger DD's must-do was to always walk through the Castle... whether we were in the park (DL) for a couple of hours or for a few days, we made sure we walked through the Castle each day.

Visiting WDW, it was a little harder to walk through the Castle... our first trip it looked like a blow-up birthday cake. Now, it's blocked off at times for Dream Along, but it's okay... she's now living her dream performing in Dream Along!... and still walking "through the Castle!"

I have to admit I've let FP+ changes and drama surround my thoughts for a while and had a few trips that were stressful.

We can go often because we live close so I've learned to slow down and enjoy ourselves. I booked last minute FP+ for MK last Friday evening and went in with no expectations and we had the best trip we've had in a while.

I have young kids too, we took our time, rode their favorite rides, got on a few extra rides, had ice cream together and watched Wishes. It might not sound great to everyone, but it was a perfect evening for our little family. :goodvibes

From my 3 year old......
1. Buzz Lightyear SRS
2. Buzz Lightyear SRS
3. Meet Buzz Lightyear
4. Get a new Buzz toy
5. Buzz Lightyear SRS
6. Mickey ice cream.

Done. And done kid.

I was waiting for #7 to be Breakfast with Buzz :rotfl2:

I remember reading in a guidebook (maybe the Unofficial Guide) years ago that several children were asked after their trips what they liked best about WDW. One of the most common responses was "swimming in the hotel pool".

When our daughters were younger we would stay at the Polynesian to make it easy to get to and from the MK and spend the afternoons at the pool. Those are some of the girls' favorite memories and, now that they are adults, they still like to take the monorail over to the Poly to get lunch or a Dole Whip and sit around remembering those wonderful days and looking forward to more to come.

From my 3 year old......
1. Buzz Lightyear SRS
2. Buzz Lightyear SRS
3. Meet Buzz Lightyear
4. Get a new Buzz toy
5. Buzz Lightyear SRS
6. Mickey ice cream.

Done. And done kid.

Haha!! My 3 year old has the same list. :D We have Chef Mickey reserved for his bday breakfast. :goodvibes

As for the Buzz Toy, may I make a suggestion? The little blue Buzz themed ray guns they sell at the shop after Buzz SRS are only like $12 and my kid has played with it multiple times per week since our trip last April. This has been our most played with Disney souvenir to date.

Awwww I love these responses! I can't wait to ask my 4 year old just to see what he says:) and I can honestly say I can't wait to see the country bears again too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter