• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone used vera bradley duffle for travel

WendyLovesPeter

I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!
looking at it online and wondering....

1. the plane situation. It looks like the handles can't be secured together. did it get mangled on the plane?

2. how many days travel does it accomodate? are there organizational pockets inside or is it just one big space?

I had one totally mangled by the baggage system/handlers one time - it arrived on the baggage carousel with rips all in it. I do not use Vera Bradley pieces for travel anymore. I have all of the duffles, the large one is one really big compartment with some pockets on the side. It will hold alot of clothes though.

I flew Southwest over the weekend and one of my friends used the Vera Bradley Duffle and took it on the plane as a carry on. It fit just fine. It was packed for about 4 days.

I used mine on a plane and it arrived ripped. I would not use it if you plan on checking it!

I bought mine because it is the biggest Carry-On Compliant bag that I could find before my trip to Europe. So, I have never checked it...and would never recommend it either. I haven't checked it because it is a cloth bag and I'm paranoid about bags getting beat up and dirty when they're checked, so I only travel with it when I can carry it on. The inside of it has no organizational features, it is just a large empty space. There is one pocket on the outside of one end, but be careful putting anything in there. I've been carrying the bag on my shoulder and had things fall out of that pock when I've bent over for whatever reason. However, the bag fits LOTS of clothes. I absolutely love it and can fit all kinds of things in it. It has been a great back for weekend and overnight trips! Could I fit a week's worth of clothes? Probably not. But I would definitely recommend the bag!

The large duffel seems a little unorganized for me. It is really just one large space. I did use the weekender on my last flight as a carry on and that worked very well. It fit under the seat which was great because those overhead bins get full fast.

I have the large duffle and use it as a carry on. Depending on where/when I am traveling I can fit a few days' worth of clothing.

I also would not check it - I prefer to only check "sturdy" bags, something that wouldn't be prone to rips. Also, if something were to be spilled in cargo area or it was raining and your bag was on the cart waiting to be loaded, all your stuff would get soaked with the duffle

I have the large vera bradley duffel and use it as a carry-on. I love it, it can fit a lot of stuff and fits nicely into the overhead compartments! :thumbsup2 I definitely would not check it though, since it's a cloth bag and not very "sturdy," as another poster said.

I highly recommend it as a carry-on though! :)

I travel with mine all the time but always carry it. Once i gate checked it and it was raining at arrival. The baggage people were holding it with an umbrella over it. I would not check it. It wouldn't be very secure.

But i used it for a 3 week road trip when i knew i had laundry access most of the way. Tied running shoes on the handles and all else inside. I even impressed myself with that packing

I travel with mine all the time but always carry it. Once i gate checked it and it was raining at arrival. The baggage people were holding it with an umbrella over it. I would not check it. It wouldn't be very secure.

But i used it for a 3 week road trip when i knew i had laundry access most of the way. Tied running shoes on the handles and all else inside. I even impressed myself with that packing
I had gate checked mine when it was torn - so don't do that either! Our flight was full and they reccomended gate checks - so I did and didn't realize that since I had a layover - they just sent it through to my destination and I had to pick it up at baggage claim!

We went to WDW for 4 days before Christmas, and I had my VB duffel absolutely LOADED. I packed it full of my clothes, shoes, and toiletries, as well as my DS's diapers and clothing. My husband had a fit b/c he was sure it wouldn't fit in the overhead - especially on a full plane. It fit with no problem, and I found that it was very easy to manage.

you guys have me thinking about how vera's not waterproof so this time when I go I will pack everything in giant zip locks in my duffel lol. Just in case I'd rather dry the bag then everything in it.

Does anyone know if the vera bradley large duffle will fit under the seat in front of you on an airplane??

I know the small duffle bag fits under the seat in front of you on a plane. I'm pretty sure, though, I have used my large duffel as well. If I remember correctly, it wasn't stuffed completely full so it was still smushy enough to shove under the seat. I usually have my carryon for stuffing my sweatshirt and jacket into, along with a book and a few snacks so it's not packed full. One reason I love my Vera as carryons is because they do stuff into spaces you can't fit a stiffer bag into.

Don't check it. It's really not made to be checked. It fits in the overhead compartment, but I don't use mine for plane travel. It's better for a car trip. It would be fine as a carry-on, but I like a long cross-body strap for my carry-on and the VB large duffle doesn't have that. For flying carry-ons, I like a rolling case plus a Vera Bradley "Miller Bag" (even though it doesn't have the cross-body strap).

My daughters used theirs for a week at the lake. It fit everything except a sweatshirt.

I don't have the duffle but over the years I've had a several of my favorites for travel; Miller bag for carry on and hanging garmet bags in 3 different styles. I love them for travel by car and on at least 2 occasions when using a plane and taking formal wear for DH and myself, I have asked to have my bag boxed. The bag and contents arrived in excellent condition, and I don't recall a fee, however that was before all the new regulations. If you are really committed to taking the duffle, call your airline and check. Otherwise only use it for travel when you are sure the bags will be handled by someone who understands our love of this wonderful product!
Enjoy your trip!

I use the duffel for weekend trips that are in the car or camping. But I wouldn't take it on a flight. I use the weekender for plane travel. They did come out with a larger version of the weekender but a friend of mine said it didn't fit under the chair in front of her and had to be placed in the over head bin. When I fly I carry a small carry on luggage and the weekender as my purse. I've never been asked to check it and it fits 2 outfits, 1 pair of shoes, a swimsuit, laptop, makeup bag and a bunch of other junk. I love the weekender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter