• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone try Amazon Fire?

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
Saw an ad for this and it sounds like something I'd like to use to watch movies. Do you need Amazon prime? How much are movies to watch? I thought this would be nice instead of driving out to get a Redbox rental.

Disclaimer: I have been loyal to Amazon for the last 15 years and will probably have drones visiting at least 3 times a week when they start delivering. I also had the original Fire within weeks of it coming out and upgraded to the HDX the week it came out. Loyal to Amazon.com am I..

Hooked up my box this week. It is awesome, without prime or another service it takes I wouldn't dream of buying the box. Between video files I own and the Prime library I actually disconnected the DVD player and am now figuring out what I'm going to do with the DVDs that have accumulated the last 10 years.

You don't need Amazon Prime to use the FireTV but without it you won't have access to the Free Instant streaming that is included with the Prime membership. However, if you have netflix, hulu+ or HBO Go you can use those to stream videos instead.

You can also rent movies through Amazon; the new releases are usually $3.99 for SD and $4.99 for HD for a 24-48 hour rental.

Or you can buy them; Usually it is $14.99 SD or $19.99 HD. Sometimes there are discounts and you can get them for $9.99 SD or $14.99 HD but this is usually after they have been out for awhile.

I can rent movies from Comcast on demand for $4.99 so what's the advantage of having Amazon fire then?

You can also rent movies through Amazon; the new releases are usually $3.99 for SD and $4.99 for HD for a 24-48 hour rental.

I can rent movies from Comcast on demand for $4.99 so what's the advantage of having Amazon fire then?

You can rent a new movie from Redbox for around $1.25 to $1.50 per day.

The "average" person doesn't realize the titles offered by Netflix and Amazon for free (OK included in the unlimited monthly fee) aren't the new titles.

We have a smart TV so all those services are available through the TV. I LOVE IT!!!

I have a TV upstairs that I would consider it for but Am Fire is for HD TVs and this one is not. I saw an add for a refurbished roku for $39 though so I might get that.

So much TV and so little time.

It's crap. They are all crap.

The FireTV gives the same functionality as GoogleTV, AppleTV, Xbox, Wii, and my Samsung Home Theatre with "apps".

All of these things just provide little apps as a gateway to other services. In other words...you're paying to buy a device that lets you pay more for content.

I suppose if you don't already have a more powerful device like a gaming console, it would be worth it. However if you already own an Xbox or PlayStation, you're just throwing money away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter