Anyone stayed at the Hotel del Coronado?

DSCN4141.jpg

DSCN4125.jpg

DSCN4159.jpg

DSCN4174-1.jpg

Dh and I had a romantic weekend at the Del a few years ago. The beach at the hotel is amazing. It is groomed every morning and so clean and not-smelly compared to the beaches up here in Northern Cal! lol

We had a garden room overlooking the gazebo (in the pictures above). There were weddings out there during the weekend, really pretty!

The other thing we really liked, since we flew down instead of driving, was that you could go to the front entrance and ask for a ride, and they would take us to Sea Village or Old Town or wherever.

We also walked from the hotel to the little "town" area that had surf stores and restaurants, etc.

Beth

elevator inside cabana buildings
DSC00184.jpg

On the sun deck looking towards the main building, just behind is the Pacific.
DSC00187.jpg

Chandalier inside lobby
DSCN4167.jpg

Small island type shopping area across from hotel del
DSCN4180.jpg

DSCN4181.jpg

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to try and answer them.

One of my all-time favorite places to stay! Have stayed in both the Victorian and tower rooms. The Victorian was my favorite. Really cool, LARGE room with 2 bathrooms in it. I called this week to get rates for spring break next year and :eek: We did not pay what the quote was.

Looking out onto the balcony with the pool in the near distance.
DSC00116-1.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

Extra bed for youngest son
DSC00115.jpg

Navy men and women getting their morning workout
DSCN4154.jpg

Inside the main area - kind of like inside the square of the main building - beautiful courtyard
DSCN4169.jpg

Valet area and place you walk into to check in
DSCN4121.jpg

Dusk shot that came out quite blue in tone
DSC00148.jpg

My kids walking along the path
DSCN4162.jpg

Two other vacationers walking with seaweed that got out of the ocean why I am not so sure?????
DSCN4157.jpg

Distance shot from up north of the hotel del on the beach.
DSCN4159-1.jpg

more photos from around the resort of the hotel
DSCN4166.jpg

DSCN4165.jpg

DSCN4164-1.jpg

Thinking of going to Yosemite Natl Park next year...does anyone know of any good threads or websites for planning a vacation or trip reports?

There was only one spot that had alot of rock like this.
DSCN4143.jpg

DSCN4141.jpg

Lots of nice areas to sit and enjoy the weather.
DSCN4128.jpg

Okay, no one has mentioned anything about this place being haunted. I always thought that was one of the main things this hotel was famous for.

Some friends and I were even considering a trip just to stay at the "haunted" hotel several yrs back. Did anyone happen to see any activity during their stay?

KCMike,
thanks for all the great pics. Really makes me want to stay there all the more.

We are planning a trip in mid-June 2009, how will the weather be? We are thinking 3-4 days in DL then 2-4 days at the Del. If not the Del, is there another really nice beach hotel close by? I want to be spoiled and pampered while on vacation !! Since the Del is quite old, is it clean? Rooms, especially the bathroom?

KCMike,
thanks for all the great pics. Really makes me want to stay there all the more.

We are planning a trip in mid-June 2009, how will the weather be? We are thinking 3-4 days in DL then 2-4 days at the Del. If not the Del, is there another really nice beach hotel close by? I want to be spoiled and pampered while on vacation !! Since the Del is quite old, is it clean? Rooms, especially the bathroom?

There's a nice hotel nearby on the bay side of Coronado (Loews Coronado Bay Resort) which is newer and probably a bit more luxurious inside... however...

You're not on the beach, you're not in walking distance to the charming downtown area, and you're not surrounded by the timeless elegance of the Hotel del. There truly is no substitute. The Del has every service you can possibly imagine and the rooms are rehabbed regularly. They have a tower with newer rooms if you're fearful of older rooms. In my opinion, the older rooms are far more charming.

In any case, June is usually an overcast month in So CA. It burns off by 11 am or noon. I like June because you can run, walk, exercise in the morning without the sun beating down on you.

Enjoy your trip!

DH and I have stayed at the Hotel Hershey, in Hershey PA, it is an older hotel with alot of charm, but very nice. The rooms there are tiny (for the price), but we enjoyed the hotel and spa. We love the GF and that is one of the reasons we wanted to stay at the Del. Since it is beachfront and in walking distance to some things it sounds like a winner. We are not really going to tour much of San Diego, it is the relaxing side of vacation, we'll be on the move in DL. So, I believe the Del has a spa, and how are the restaurants. Also, we will be traveling with a 6 yr old, is there a kids club he can spend some time in? Are there pool/beach activities planned for kids, or do I bring out own pail/shovel and think up some activities?
Thanks for all the input and help so far. !!

They have a kids club I think it was called "Del Kids". There was a room dedicated to arts/crafts, you can rent boogie boards and other surf stuff, surf lessons, they have a fire pit where they routinely roast smores etc..you can also rent surrey bikes and bike along the ocean.

June is overcast for the morning...around 10:30 am it became brilliant outside. We loved walking up and down the Pacific just beach. It was gorgeous. The navy seals were out running in the morning when we were there. It truly is about location. Is it worth the money? Is anything? If your going to relax and enjoy yourself than soak it in. One warning ---- Sometimes planes would fly overhead and it would be loud for a second or two.

The restaurants were very expensive. Breakfast buffet was $25 a piece. Ouch. Walk around the streets and you'll find some very nice places. It was nice not to have to take the car but walk around with my family to the Pizzeria, Diner, and shop and know I was coming back to my Cabana room. I love waking up and walking out my door to the beautiful blue Pacific Ocean.

The bathroom in the cabana room was huge. Everything is up to date in the rooms. The location can't be beat. There was another hotel across the road (think it was Glorieta Bay) but it looked like a motel. You really can't beat the luxury of the main pool, oversized hot tub, bar and grill on the deck, and the other amenities they offer. Be forwarned though that it truly is very expensive. Good luck with your planning.

The Del sounds so nice... I went on line the other day to the website, check out the restaurants, kids club, etc...
It is super expensive, the time we are looking to go it is like almost $500 a night for the basic room. The kids club is like $45 for 3 hrs and $15 to do a craft (1 hr). We went to bible school in the summer for $15 for the week and made a craft almost every day. I may have to put this place on the back burner for awhile, or win some kind of lottery game !!
Does anyone know of a nice beach hotel closer to DL, and less expensive?
I think I might post on the Southern CA thread and see what I can find out. Being from the east (near Pittsburgh) I have no idea about the west coast.
Thanks for all the info !!

We couldn't believe how much they charge for everything....and your forced to pay!! You truly are paying for location. Wish I could find a better discount.

Jumping in a little late here, sorry.

We'll be in San Diego this weekend and hope to spend some time on Coronado Island. Any tips on beaches, restraunts, etc. to try (or ones to avoid).

We won't be staying on Coronado. It's a conference trip for my DH and I don't think we could get his work to cover that LOL.

The kids liked Beach N Diner, Village Pizzeria, and one other place. The restaurants at the hotel were very expensive and not worth the price in my opinion. There are a few very close to the hotel though that many recommended while we were there. The nice thing is you can walk around the island and enjoy the 70 degree temps. It is so lovely there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter