Anyone know when WDW is going to fix their website?

But were you using a TECO text editor with it??? :)

Hah. Not only did I not use TECO, even today I like to troll my programmer friends by sometimes using pico (well, now nano) rather than vim or emacs when I'm working in linux.

Just a few months ago, one of them said "you're dead to me!" when I told him.

Unless ROL requires some kind of IT expertise to function

Actually, my understanding of things, which I do not promise or warranty as worth more than a beer, is that one of the issues with ROL was that they tried to rely on inappropriate tech.

Allegedly, the floats were originally going to use GPS.

There are huge issues with this kind of use of GPS. Consumer GPS is fuzzy. It's doubtful Disney had security clearance to use military GPS for a water float show. Military and civilian aircraft are able to use the "accurate" GPS systems. And even on the most accurate of the systems, missiles accidentally hit hospitals a half mile from the military target.

To expect to use public bandwidth GPS, on water, to push around the floats? Utter madness, and they should have talked to a few aerospace engineers about it. They would have laughed it back to planning right there.

It appears they are having issues with the gift card website as well. Went to combine some card balances, and I can add new cards, but as soon as I go to transfer, it says my card is invalid... yay.

You guys are hilarious! I have been lovingly classified by a friend as a "TDU" as I have been told stands for "typical dumb user." Sooo...I don't understand all of your jargon but I am somehow able to laugh at the humor in this witty conversation haha. Anyway, as a lifetime "TDU" I still thought it interesting that a theme park location which houses EPCOT (experimental prototype community of.....when? Yesterday?.....oh....tomorrow) APPEARED to be on dial-up while I was checking in on most of my trips between year 2000-2010ish when the general public was getting pretty used to speed! Question: if they always have had outdated government type technology (which sounds pretty plausible to me), why in the WORLD would they initiate all of this magic band and fastpasses + craziness without updating their old stuff first? It all sounds like a recipe for disaster. Perhaps that is what we are seeing?

if they always have had outdated government type technology (which sounds pretty plausible to me), why in the WORLD would they initiate all of this magic band and fastpasses + craziness without updating their old stuff first?

Honestly, it's not uncommon for enterprises to do stuff like this. People don't think of it that way, because a good number of companies they interact with don't have the same sorts of legacy systems -- sure, Amazon is one of the older e-commerce companies, but even so the oldest tech they might be running is only 20 years old. Companies like Disney, or most manufacturing companies, have a host of back-end systems that can be older. It is a huge capital expense with cascading project contingencies to upgrade these systems. It's easier to hack an interface between the new overlay and the old backends, but it can be unstable. But the instability rarely costs as much as the upgrade -- either in terms of capital expense, or in terms of internal politics.

I wonder if the inability to pay online now is related to the new backend system they put in a few weeks ago (the one that made for all the new pkg ressie #s)...

I wonder if the inability to pay online now is related to the new backend system they put in a few weeks ago (the one that made for all the new pkg ressie #s)...
Considering the ability to pay on a package went away following that upgrade, one would have to say yes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter