• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone had cataract surgery?

I am very young when my cataracts started and I had to have surgery - mid 30's (2011). They did both eyes, one at a time. I was "sedated" using something that isn't really general anesthesia, but it knocked me out anyway (at least for the first eye). I was in and out in very little time. It was funny checking the difference in my vision when the first eye was done. Even colors were a little different.

The surgery was covered by my insurance. Easy peasy.

I now only need glasses for reading (due to an astigmatism I could have gotten corrected, but didn't have the cash to shell out for the more expensive lenses). The fact that I can see when I wake up is so weird to me. And I can drive without glasses.
Praying my outcome will be as positive as yours; our conditions sound similar. I've been on an indefinite waiting list for over a year (Canadian health care system) and have recently been escalated to the "urgent" list due to my rapidly deteriorating night vision. I'm going with regular lenses too and don't mind having to continue to wear glasses in the slightest! :wave2:

My DD had cataract surgery when she was 2yo. She ended up with a post op infection and lost the vision in one eye. I don't tell you this to scare you but to tell you to trust your gut. I wish we had instead of trusting the doctor. Long story short, we were told by many doctors and lawyers that it was the worst case of medical malpractice they had seen but they were unsuccessful in finding anyone that would testify against her because she's known as one of the best in the world. If you will be having both eyes done, my advice would be to wait a minimum of 4 weeks to make sure that there are no complications with the first surgery.

My husband has both eyes done last year. He had been wearing glasses for 60 years and now doesn't need them. He had the option of a Lens that would leave him not needing glasses for distance, or he could get a lens that would get by with, both distance and near would be acceptable but not real clear vision. This lens with glasses would make things crisp. It was an option to get the distance lens and pay OOP $3000 for the near sited lens. We just didn't have it.

He had the surgery, day of they sedated IV, the days before he had one med to put drops in his eyes, and to bring the two scripts he was given to the surgery center. After surgery they put the drops in. You put the first ones in, wait 5 minutes and then the second set of drops so it won't dilute the first ones.

I think they were 3 times a day a week, 2 times a day a week, for four weeks he used the one set of drops. Color the top or label with Red and Blue or one with heavy Black so you can tell one from the other.

He also had a plastic cover and tape to wear on the eye when sleeping, wide covering sun glasses post surgery for the sun an protection.
I don't think you need more then the week off work just so it isn't bumped and the healing will give you vision to drive and work.

He followed up post op 1 week and I think 2 or 3 weeks later. He is still having floaters or diminished vision in the first eye and is following up, but for the most part he has a pair of cheaters for reading.

OH, post up; no bending over, lifting or carrying heavy weights. You need to protect the stitches from tearing.

I work in a surgery center that performs cataract surgery, all our patients receive IV sedation. Mainly to help them relax, most are discharged within 20-30 min of the completion of the surgery
You know, you might be correct. I vaguely remember someone putting a needle in my arm but I do not recall anyone hooking it to anything. Maybe they did after they put me in the "you're not to see anything" mummy sheets. Either way, it was a piece of cake. Whatever or whenever it happened it must have been a pretty insignificant event that I don't remember it happening.

I had this done about 6 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Had one eye done and had to wait about 1 month until the other eye was "ripe"
No side effects, no more glasses or contacts. Good Luck.

Hi just wondering if all multifocals have this issue? I am considering the extended focus Symfony lens newly approved fall 2016 for my upcoming cataract surgery. But now not sure - perhaps best to get regular lens for distance and then wear glasses for intermediate/near.

Hi - just wondering if you had cataract surgery and if so what you chose for lens.

I am having to have cataract surgery soon and going back and forth between multifocal or monofocal lenses.
I am scheduled for my yearly eye exam in a few weeks and will not be surprised if the doctor thinks it is time for cataract surgery. This has been an on-going process and together we have decided to wait as I have VERY poor vision in my other eye. I understand that this type surgery is normally no problem, but given my circumstance we have waited, not wanting to risk the loss of vision in my primary eye.

I remember the days when this surgery required wearing the dark sunglasses for a period of time and had a longer recovery period. Has anyone had this and can offer their experience with it?
st wondering what

Actually, I just had one done last month. There is always a risk no matter what you do, but, if the eye that you are having done is you primary and your other eye isn't very good, it can be a hassle. My operated eye was my weakest one, so I had my primary to fall back on. I have heard of people that could see fairly well the next day and, of course, that didn't happen for me, it took almost 4 weeks before I started to see things in clarity. Once it did kick in, however, was I ever glad I had it done.

I wore glasses for 45 years and now I don't have too. I see thinks with the "new" eye so much clearer now then I can with my primary eye. That totally surprised me. For example, did you know that your natural lens will yellow over time making night vision more difficult and changing the tint of almost everything else? With just the one eye repaired my night vision is like it was when I was in my teens. I love it. In fact, I just yesterday set up my appointment to get my other eye done. Can't wait to do it. I think I should be able to see through walls by the time it's over.:D
What type of lens did you choose. I know Medicare will cover for monofocal lenses and if I want multifocal lenses there would be additional costs

Praying my outcome will be as positive as yours; our conditions sound similar. I've been on an indefinite waiting list for over a year (Canadian health care system) and have recently been escalated to the "urgent" list due to my rapidly deteriorating night vision. I'm going with regular lenses too and don't mind having to continue to wear glasses in the slightest! :wave2:

I am a Canadian too. Wondering how your cataract surgery went. I am thinking of going with a premium multifocal lens and paying additional costs. But want to know how your vision is with a regular monofocal lens.

I am a Canadian too. Wondering how your cataract surgery went. I am thinking of going with a premium multifocal lens and paying additional costs. But want to know how your vision is with a regular monofocal lens.
Well, I don't like to sound so negative, but if I'd known how it would affect my sight I would not have had the nerve to go through with it. :sad1:

After living my entire life with extreme myopia (nearsightedness), the surgery completely destroyed my near-sight. With the standard lenses, a focal point must be chosen and my surgeon chose mine to be 12 feet (optimal for driving). And yes, my distance vision, which had always been terrible, is now remarkable. But at a distance of 10" (which was my most acute vision previously) I now have basically white fog. Even with glasses (which I absolutely need to wear at all times, not just for reading) my near-sight isn't what it was and my mid-vision is longer than most; 3 or 4 feet.

Functionally speaking, it's now almost impossible for me to do mundane things like put on mascara or polish my toenails. House work is a total challenge because while I can see the dirt from a distance, when I get within arm's length it's not clear anymore. I work full-time and am on the computer almost all day. It's hard. I've had to get a larger monitor and increase the font size; it's very, very difficult for me to read texts or see properly to dial my cell phone.

Overall, I try to remember that many people have no sight at all - I am very fortunate. But I certainly wish I had known what the possibilities were and what issues to discuss with my surgeon before-hand. They honestly never said one word about my near-sight. Somehow I imagined I'd have all I had before and distance vision too. Please make sure all your questions and concerns are satisfied before you make final decisions. If the multi-focal lenses will allow you to see at all distances I'd say they are worth whatever they cost. Best of luck! :wave2:

:scratchin Very, very good information - thank you. I have congential cataracts right smack in the center of both my eyes. At age 45 I'm on a waiting list to have both eyes done within 72 hours of each other. I'm getting "done" at a world-renowned eye clinic and although I completely trust the care I'll be getting, I've been very uncomfortable with how hard they've been selling the multi-focal lens upgrade. I've decided not to take them and not to take the kind that would correct my mild astigmatism. Having the physical obstruction removed should resolve the serious issues I have with low-light (i.e. night driving), and correcting my distance vision will be life-changing. I've actually worn glasses since I was 2 and having to maintain them for astigmatism and perhaps reading will help me to continue to look and feel like myself.

Well, I don't like to sound so negative, but if I'd known how it would affect my sight I would not have had the nerve to go through with it. :sad1:

After living my entire life with extreme myopia (nearsightedness), the surgery completely destroyed my near-sight. With the standard lenses, a focal point must be chosen and my surgeon chose mine to be 12 feet (optimal for driving). And yes, my distance vision, which had always been terrible, is now remarkable. But at a distance of 10" (which was my most acute vision previously) I now have basically white fog. Even with glasses (which I absolutely need to wear at all times, not just for reading) my near-sight isn't what it was and my mid-vision is longer than most; 3 or 4 feet.

Functionally speaking, it's now almost impossible for me to do mundane things like put on mascara or polish my toenails. House work is a total challenge because while I can see the dirt from a distance, when I get within arm's length it's not clear anymore. I work full-time and am on the computer almost all day. It's hard. I've had to get a larger monitor and increase the font size; it's very, very difficult for me to read texts or see properly to dial my cell phone.

Overall, I try to remember that many people have no sight at all - I am very fortunate. But I certainly wish I had known what the possibilities were and what issues to discuss with my surgeon before-hand. They honestly never said one word about my near-sight. Somehow I imagined I'd have all I had before and distance vision too. Please make sure all your questions and concerns are satisfied before you make final decisions. If the multi-focal lenses will allow you to see at all distances I'd say they are worth whatever they cost. Best of luck! :wave2:

Thanks so much for your feedback - yes gathering questions now. I think Medicare covers the lens (one type) and the cataract surgery in Canada. Most are older patients (when I was in the Doc's waiting room I felt out of place - most there were in their 70's and 80's). I developed cataracts young (even my parents in their 70's don't have cataracts yet). So the regular lens Medicare covers is a monofocal lens which the surgeon fixes for one distance. I will need glasses for all other distances unless they do a monovision where one eye is set for distance and another for close-up but that has issues too as you lose your depth perception. There are premium lenses that correct for near intermediate and distance however they too have a compromise - with seeing circles around lights, glare and halos at night. Sometimes people get used to that and others don't making night driving difficult. Guess nothing brings back your vision 100%. Did the surgeon you saw explaining different types of lenses and upside and downside to both? If you only had one eye done you can choose a different lens for 2nd eye that would give you better near and intermediate vision

Last edited:
Praying my outcome will be as positive as yours; our conditions sound similar. I've been on an indefinite waiting list for over a year (Canadian health care system) and have recently been escalated to the "urgent" list due to my rapidly deteriorating night vision. I'm going with regular lenses too and don't mind having to continue to wear glasses in the slightest! :wave2:[/QUOTE

Wondering if you had the surgery and what the outcome was? Looking for all the feedback I can as I have to have cataract surgery in July 2017

Thanks so much for your feedback - yes gathering questions now. I think Medicare covers the lens (one type) and the cataract surgery in Canada. Most are older patients (when I was in the Doc's waiting room I felt out of place - most there were in their 70's and 80's). I developed cataracts young (even my parents in their 70's don't have cataracts yet). So the regular lens Medicare covers is a monofocal lens which the surgeon fixes for one distance. I will need glasses for all other distances unless they do a monovision where one eye is set for distance and another for close-up but that has issues too as you lose your depth perception. There are premium lenses that correct for near intermediate and distance however they too have a compromise - with seeing circles around lights, glare and halos at night. Sometimes people get used to that and others don't making night driving difficult. Guess nothing brings back your vision 100%. Did the surgeon you saw explaining different types of lenses and upside and downside to both? If you only had one eye done you can choose a different lens for 2nd eye that would give you better near and intermediate vision
I truly believe that the bolded above is what resulted in my problem. While the surgeon did discuss upgraded lenses with me, in hindsight I recognize he was used to talking to older people with a much, much different lifestyle and demands for visual acuity. By 70 or 80 most people naturally have very compromised near-vision and have been in "readers" for quite some time. Many, if not most, are also past doing the same type of personal and household tasks that require seeing up-close. FWIW, I had both eyes done within the same week. Another mistake.

I truly believe that the bolded above is what resulted in my problem. While the surgeon did discuss upgraded lenses with me, in hindsight I recognize he was used to talking to older people with a much, much different lifestyle and demands for visual acuity. By 70 or 80 most people naturally have very compromised near-vision and have been in "readers" for quite some time. Many, if not most, are also past doing the same type of personal and household tasks that require seeing up-close. FWIW, I had both eyes done within the same week. Another mistake.

I think the surgeons are far too busy to take time to discuss your concerns or even give you options. I was literally blindsided with the diagnosis of cataracts. Went to my optometrist in Jan thinking I just needed stronger glasses. I started googling and going on patient forums for information so I had a list of questions when I had my appointment with opthamologist- going back in June before surgery in July. However I am very distressed as there is no way to guarantee good outcome. I think I will risk less than optimal night vision to be able to see at most ranges during the day (and that is still just hoping). Surgeon still needs to rely on machines and formulas to determine what power to choose for the lens. Maybe one day they'll invent a machine that allows you to "try" them by viewing through something like binoculars before inserting in your eyes. But basically I just have to make a decision and hope for best. Got a Disney cruise planned for Jan 2018 so hoping all will be well by then.

What type of lens did you choose. I know Medicare will cover for monofocal lenses and if I want multifocal lenses there would be additional costs
Just mono-focal. Mine were done by the VA and there were no choices. I still need reading glasses. I honestly have never talked to anyone that got the multi ones so I don't know how well they work. Even my reading ability improved a little after the surgery.

As an update, it did have a problem, but, I don't believe it was connected with the surgery. About a eight or nine months ago now, I developed what they call a floater in that eye. That is when a small piece of the lining in the back of your eye that light focuses on, breaks off and just floats around. Most of the time it isn't even in the line of vision, but, sometimes it is. It doesn't block ones vision, but, it has a slight blur around the edges. Eventually, the brain compensates for it and 99% of the time you don't even notice it. It really isn't connected with the cataract and is sometimes an indication of something that could lead to a detached retina. Still don't need glasses, but, my right eye wasn't in a state that needed the second surgery so I have put that off until it is necessary. Prescription lenses just bring that eye up to sharper image. If you're wondering... I would do the surgery again it it were needed. The improvement was significant enough that even that little set-back doesn't really change that much.

Just mono-focal. Mine were done by the VA and there were no choices. I still need reading glasses. I honestly have never talked to anyone that got the multi ones so I don't know how well they work. Even my reading ability improved a little after the surgery.

As an update, it did have a problem, but, I don't believe it was connected with the surgery. About a eight or nine months ago now, I developed what they call a floater in that eye. That is when a small piece of the lining in the back of your eye that light focuses on, breaks off and just floats around. Most of the time it isn't even in the line of vision, but, sometimes it is. It doesn't block ones vision, but, it has a slight blur around the edges. Eventually, the brain compensates for it and 99% of the time you don't even notice it. It really isn't connected with the cataract and is sometimes an indication of something that could lead to a detached retina. Still don't need glasses, but, my right eye wasn't in a state that needed the second surgery so I have put that off until it is necessary. Prescription lenses just bring that eye up to sharper image. If you're wondering... I would do the surgery again it it were needed. The improvement was significant enough that even that little set-back doesn't really change that much.

Thanks very much for your feedback. I have bee n wearing glasses for 40 years so the plan is to do 2nd eye once First has healed (surgeon said about a week's time) - although I know for many that it takes more than a week to heal. In Canada the surgery itself is covered by our healthcare system - lenses too if I go with standard ones. Still done at same location whether or not I opt for premium lenses. Glad to hear your surgery turned out well. I am not seeing well especially at night - so can't hold off too much longer

Thanks very much for your feedback. I have bee n wearing glasses for 40 years so the plan is to do 2nd eye once First has healed (surgeon said about a week's time) - although I know for many that it takes more than a week to heal. In Canada the surgery itself is covered by our healthcare system - lenses too if I go with standard ones. Still done at same location whether or not I opt for premium lenses. Glad to hear your surgery turned out well. I am not seeing well especially at night - so can't hold off too much longer
I'll be honest... night vision was the single biggest perk from the surgery. It was good enough that I decided to take a part time job driving shuttle buses at night and I never would have done that before the surgery because my night vision was affected more then I realized, but, I knew it wasn't as good as it once was. Whatever, you decide, I'm sure you will be happy with the results and you will, like I did, wonder why I waited so long to have it done.

I was concerned about someone doing work on my eyeball when I was just about completely awake. But, nothing was felt and nothing was even scary about it. When I need it for my right eye, I will run, not walk, to the doctors. No delaying this time.

I think the surgeons are far too busy to take time to discuss your concerns or even give you options. I was literally blindsided with the diagnosis of cataracts. Went to my optometrist in Jan thinking I just needed stronger glasses. I started googling and going on patient forums for information so I had a list of questions when I had my appointment with opthamologist- going back in June before surgery in July. However I am very distressed as there is no way to guarantee good outcome. I think I will risk less than optimal night vision to be able to see at most ranges during the day (and that is still just hoping). Surgeon still needs to rely on machines and formulas to determine what power to choose for the lens. Maybe one day they'll invent a machine that allows you to "try" them by viewing through something like binoculars before inserting in your eyes. But basically I just have to make a decision and hope for best. Got a Disney cruise planned for Jan 2018 so hoping all will be well by then.
:hug: Best of luck!

I'll be honest... night vision was the single biggest perk from the surgery. It was good enough that I decided to take a part time job driving shuttle buses at night and I never would have done that before the surgery because my night vision was affected more then I realized, but, I knew it wasn't as good as it once was. Whatever, you decide, I'm sure you will be happy with the results and you will, like I did, wonder why I waited so long to have it done.

I was concerned about someone doing work on my eyeball when I was just about completely awake. But, noting was felt and nothing was even scary about it. When I need it for my right eye, I will run, not walk, to the doctors. No delaying this time.

Funny how we are all so different. I feel like Eeryore (depressed) and having to be pushed there! My mistake was seeing the operation on you tube. Can't imagine it's painless although most people like you have said it isn't. I work with a computer 80% of my day. I drive home 6 months of the year in the dark and we travel at night for sports for our daughter so would love a lens that did both. Monofocals can still give some people glare and halos but for most they don't appear to and multifocals have a higher incidence of these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter