• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone gone in July???

disneyatl

DIS Veteran
We are going in July '04 with the entire family (13 total) and my mom is freaking out about the heat! She makes it sound like there is a water shortage there or something. She is afraid of heat stroke!!! So was wondering who has just returned or has been in July and what the weather is like right now.

We just got back on Sunday from 5 days at WDW and it was pretty hot and felt even hotter than the temps. Here's a link to weather.com 's 10 day orlando forecast:
http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USFL0248

The heat index was in the 90's every day pretty much and we did encounter some rain in the afternoon and evenings. Just be prepared and drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated if you are not used to the heat. Taking a ziploc bag in your pack with some ice and a washcloth can help to cool off a bit when the heat really gets to you.

Plus there are so many shady spots and air conditioned attractions that you can always duck into something to get out of the heat.

HTH!

We were just at Disney from 7/12 - 7/19 (my birthday week)
I'm from NC and the heat and humidity are pretty oppressive here so I was pretty worried about the heat in Florida as well. I'd only been to Disney at New Year's or in October when the temps were very pleasant.
I'll have to say that yes, it was hot. And Sticky with the humidity. But I went with the mindset that it would be terrible - so it turned out to be managable. We left Disney property one night to find a grocery store where we could purchase bottled water at a reasonable price (it's $2.50 for a 24 oz. bottle at Disney) and kept them in a cooler in the room.
If you are in Disney long enough, you can pace yourself pretty well. Catch all the EMH's to get to the parks while it's still relatively cool. Head back to your room at lunchtime for a dip in the pool or a nap; then head back out to the parks around 5 or 6.
I felt like we had a very satisfying trip this year! We got to see everything we wanted to see and we weren't too exhausted when we got home.
HTH

We just came back July 5th thru july17th

We prepared for the worst , we are from CT. it was worse in CT when we left on the 4th I thought. Yes it was hot but we lucked out with some overcast days, no rain outs, a few storms after 5:00. Line werent bad, The plan is get to the parks by 9:00, use EE when you can, we were goinging back for rests by 1 to 2pm, nap have dinner, and back out for while, This was the longest we have ever stayed , This time we had APs ,This schedule only works if you have passes for all days Im sure it would work for a 7 day vacation If you dont have a pass for all days you tend to try to cram to much stuff in on a 5 day hopper for a 7 day trip. we have done that. If you try to do a whole park in one day you will crash!
Ps July 5th in MK wasnt even crowded till 1:00pm, every one was sleeping in from the show on the fourth night before.

Good Luck and dont be scared
Jack

Hi Iansmom, we are from Charlotte as well.

Back on topic:
Since you are from Georgia, I would say that there won't be too much difference in what you are used to. We went in July last year and it didn't seem to be any different feeling down there than what we were used to in NC. Just go early and take the mid day breaks.

My family and I came back on the 12th. We are from florida and live about 2 hours south of WDW and according to our studies it's about 10 degrees hotter there in the summer. And 10 degrees cooler in the winter. I'm going back up on Sun. as you can see on my countdown. I'll try to log on with more info when we get back.
So it's hotter than down here but not deadly hot. But it could change and be hotter next year.

:sunny: :wave: :sunny:

Thanks for the great info. My theory ....... can't be much worse than it is here in Atlanta. As we've already told mom, she can ride the bus back to the resort if she gets too hot. Plus already on her list is to buy a spray bottle fan. I'm sure we'll survive!!!

Thanks again!

If live in Atlanta it's not that much difference then Florida. I live in Chattanooga it was about the same level of heat. I recommend drinks lots of water and powerade. Go for a midday nap and in air conditioned. You should be fine. Remember the sun screen.

Just came from the July 4th weekend.

Iansmom and Ratpack -
I'm not from Charlotte, but am just south of you in Lancaster, SC. So.. "Howdy Neighbors." :cool:

Hey Donna - glad to see you guys made it home :D!

Yes, it's hot in July. We just returned last night from two weeks at WDW. We are from SC where it's also very hot and humid and July so we knew a little of what to expect. We were pretty prepared and had a plan to only be in the parks early morning to mid-day and then again 5pm or later to close. This worked very well and we made good use of e-nights. Take and drink lots of water, wear thin clothing and seek out air conditioning often. We did some shows and other fun stuff in Epcot that we often skip and this worked great. I hate bad heat and this trip was fine, we were just smart. Have fun.
Lisa

Would anyone who has gone in July care to comment on the crowds? We're leaving today (yea!!) and I was wondering what impact the FTP has had. Have crowds been worse than usual this month?

we were thee from 6/29-7/6. It was hot, but very manageable. We had misty fans, water bottles, and left midday for a pool break, then returned to the parks in the evening. The parks weren't as crowded as I expected them to be ( we stayed away from MK on the 4th of July and went to AK instead:D ). I would definitely go back to WDW in July again!

We just recently returned and I don't think we will ever do Disney in July again. It was way too crowded and hot. So much so that my husband would go back and sit in the room at noon. I even gave up carrying a backpack because it was too much. Fans didn't help. We didn't even bother staying at Animal Kingdom because of the heat. Did two things and left.

I just returned Wednesday from five days in Orlando. Two at Disney and three at Universal.

It was brutally hot and humid. After three days in the parks, I stopped going during the day. One day, I went to the Mall at Millenia. It was heaven compared to the theme parks.

I don't think I will do July again. It was hot, humid and crowded.

I did find the evenings more tolerable and if it was overcast, that helped a little.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but you need to be prepared for the heat.

we were there from the 16 to the 21st. hot hot hot. muggy. humid. hot. rainy.

had a great time, as always. but this is the second trip in the summer and i think it's the last time i will venture down there in july or august. dec and january seem to work better for me.

you REALLY need to plan ahead. drink lots and lots of water. alternate inside things with outside waiting.

eleven yrs ago we went with three little kids. this time with just one older one (who's a cm by the way) much nicer not having to deal with little kids but the heat is just a killer.

good luck

I think that anyone who has problems with humidity should consider another time of year to visit. It is very, very, humid. If you must go in June, July or August, you definitely need the afternoon breaks. I hear Georgia is pretty humid so you are probably used to the humidity. So, get to the parks early and take those afternoon hotel breaks and get back to the parks in the evening! The good thing about July is that the parks have longer hours. Hope everyone has fun!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter