Anyone from the NY area fly out of Westchester Airport?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, we live in southern Orange county, NY, and live about 10 minutes away from Stewart airport. Although it's a very small airport, super easy to manage, and best part, it's so close to our home. Their air is always higher, but for the convenience, we pay the extra $. Right now, Westchester airport is $556 cheaper for the 3 of us to fly out of-a little over an hour away (with no traffic). Anyone who has flown out of there-how's parking, and getting around the airport? I know it looks on the small side too, so was interested in parking situation-thanks!!

I've flown from there a couple of times.
The airport is small and easy to navigate. Don't expect a lot of dining options, it a pretty no-frills operation.
Parking is a different story. It's a small garage and currently costs $30.00 per day. The website says they have an overflow lot with a shuttle. I've never tried to park there, I always get a room at a nearby hotel that offers parking and a shuttle.
At $30 per day for on site parking makes it pretty easy to justify $100 for a room and a week of parking.
White Plains Park Sleep Fly hotels

great, thank you! No frills doesn't matter to us-thanks for the link for the parking!

great, thank you! No frills doesn't matter to us-thanks for the link for the parking!
We have used HPN several times over the past years. We definitely prefer it over Newark. Both airports are about 50 minutes from us. HPN is lovely because it's so small, quiet and relaxed. We love taking the early morning JetBlue flights there, very reliable.

We've used the HPN overflow lot but did have an issue one time due to snow delays and landing after HPN's normal hours*. A better option for longer term parking is hotel shuttles. From what I understand, some hotels don't even require booking a room plus they are reliable and reasonably priced. You just pay to park there and they shuttle you over and pick you up. (* Flight came in late and airport shuttle to HPN over-flow lot left for the night :( The hotel shuttles were there waiting for their people.)

Between the $500+ price difference and pleasant experience at HPN, I'd recommend it :)

The airport is wonderful because it's so small and easy. The parking is a pain and is expensive, but given the difference in airfare, it's probably worth it to you.

Yes - this is my airport of choice as it's 15 minutes away. More recently we've Uber-ed there, but before switching to Uber we used this service (where you park on the SUNY Purchase campus, then take a 5 min shuttle to the airport) https://www.pp2f.org/, so we didn't have to take a chance on airport parking.

The airport is small. Security is usually quick and there's no worry about finding your gate. Everyone is in one waiting area with the gates on the far left and far right. Heads up though that food options are equivelent to a gas station convenience store.

Fantastic airport. The parking price is kind of ridiculous considering the size of the airport but it's very comparable to Stewart overall.

I was thinking of flying out of here as well, since Stewart's prices are so high. I'd probably Uber it. Even though I live a half hour away it will still cost less than the parking. Also the 1st Jetblue flight gets there 8 hours earlier than the only Jetblue flight out of Stewart.

Last edited:
We fly out of HPN multiple time a year. We haven't parked there for years though as I've found it very difficult to find spots. In terms of navigating the aiport - it's super small, never a long line at security and they have a fairly decent snack shop. It is SO easy to navigate. We typically show up 45 minutes to an hour prior to our flight with zero issues.

FYI . Westchester County airport does have a restaurant and bar/lounge on the second floor and the third floor has an observation area to view the runway. The restrooms on the second floor are usually less crowded as well. Restrooms are located on the right side of the building on the second floor.

Thank you everyone, great information!! Still keeping fingers crossed for Stewart's prices to drop a bit, but they aren't budging at this point! We don't leave until August. We check in at Royal Pacific on the 9th for a few days, then off to Disney. We were considering flying in Sat and staying a the airport for the night, then we get another whole day at RP-JB flight from Newburgh doesn't get in until 8 pm-the last few years it has been delayed horribly!! One time they bused us to Newark to fly out of....not fun. One year we got in at midnight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter