Anyone Fly SW out of Buffalo Recently?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
So we are flying out of Buffalo on SW next Thursday (Aug 4) at 5:30 am into Oakland (we are doing a California / Disneyland trip). I was wondering how early we should be at the airport (doing a park n' fly so we will be taking our hotel shuttle)? Should we be there by 2:30 am? Is the Buffalo airport plagued with crazy long lines and flight cancellations like Pearson these days? Also am wondering if SW flights have been leaving on time? I am concerned because we only have about 1 1/2 between our connections for both our departing and return flights. We initially had several hours but SW changed our times so cutting it close (changing planes in Denver on our flight there and in Chicago on our flight home--flying out of Long Beach on our return flight). Anyone flown out of Buffalo lately on Southwest and can share their experience?

We went Buffalo-Chicago- Long Beach in March arrived 2.5 hrs early SW counter wasn't even opened when we arrived. I think our stop over was 2.5 hrs, enough time to stop for breakfast and not feel too rushed. Security was a breeze!

We went to Orlando from Buffalo on SW at the end of May. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6pm (it left about 30 min late). We parked by 2:30 pm and were through security before 3. We arrived early because we didn't want to worry about traffic and we wanted to take advantage of the lounge. We did not have checked bags and we have Nexus/TSA-Pre. It may be different now though.

I flew Southwest on July 1. The Buffalo airport is positively serene compared to Pearson. In fact, we have just decided as a family that we are going to drive to Buffalo for new flights. But I digress…

Our flight was delayed but nothing too significant. There was some bad weather where our plane was coming from but it took off eventually. Can’t be helped. Check the history of your flight for the week before your trip. That sometimes helps to predict if it’s always cancelled, delayed, etc.

We arrived at the airport after parking the car 60 minutes before boarding. Budget some time for parking your car if you decide not to use the hotel shuttle - the longest component was circling the lot, trying to find an empty spot! Everything else was smooth sailing. But we have Nexus and no checked bags. Security was a breeze, even with secondary, and we grabbed a couple of sandwiches for the plane ride.

Our first experience with Buffalo, we left our hotel across the street (I think it was the Aloft) and got to the airport 3 hours ahead of time. It was totally quiet and we sat at the gate for at least 1.5 hours before any other passengers showed up.

I have taken about 6 flights out of Buffalo since last December, security has never take more than 10 minutes. We arrive to the airport about an hour and 15 minutes before our flights. Spend a half hour in the lounger and then head to the gate to board. The only time I have been delayed on Southwest out of Buffalo was due to a de-icing queue. You should have no trouble this time of year. I have to fly out of Pearson for work next month and I'm absolutely dreading it, I love the Buffalo airport so much.

So we are flying out of Buffalo on SW next Thursday (Aug 4) at 5:30 am into Oakland (we are doing a California / Disneyland trip). I was wondering how early we should be at the airport (doing a park n' fly so we will be taking our hotel shuttle)? Should we be there by 2:30 am? Is the Buffalo airport plagued with crazy long lines and flight cancellations like Pearson these days? Also am wondering if SW flights have been leaving on time? I am concerned because we only have about 1 1/2 between our connections for both our departing and return flights. We initially had several hours but SW changed our times so cutting it close (changing planes in Denver on our flight there and in Chicago on our flight home--flying out of Long Beach on our return flight). Anyone flown out of Buffalo lately on Southwest and can share their experience?
Buffalo is one of my favorite airports to fly out of. It very rarely has long waits and everything generally runs smoothly

The only airport we really fly out of is Buffalo. We flew out of Pearson in September because the border still wasn't open and I absolutely hated it. We were able to fly out of Buffalo again in March and will be in September, last week we drove down for our cruise/Disney trip but am flying out of Pearson in December again for my trip since I'm using our travel voucher from our cancelled Paris trip in April 2020 and am so dreading it, it will be a solo trip this time. I wouldn't worry about flying out of Buffalo it is a small airport and runs smoothly. For domestic flights you really only need to be there 90 mins ahead of time and with a flight that early I wouldn't be there earlier then that.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. We've flown out of Buffalo numerous times pre-covid so we are well aware how it is a much more relaxed experience than flying out of Pearson. I had just heard that many airlines were cancelling flights and have read about problems at US airports as well (albeit not specifically Buffalo) so just wanted to be prepared since this is our first flight since 2019, So looking forward to getting away again after so long.

Flying on Saturday. Flown many times pre-COVID. Using airport parking. It says economy lot is closed. Long term $50 for the week. Reasonable. Hoping there are spots at 4 pm ish.
Where is the lounge some of you mention?
Is the Anchor Bar still there ?

Flying on Saturday. Flown many times pre-COVID. Using airport parking. It says economy lot is closed. Long term $50 for the week. Reasonable. Hoping there are spots at 4 pm ish.
Is the Anchor Bar still there ?

I believe the lounge is only for specific levels of passengers and not for everybody. Yes Anchor Bar is still there and open. You can also visit the Buffalo International Airport website for up to date info.

The lounge is called "The Club" and is operated by Priority Pass. You can buy day passes if there is room, otherwise you need a membership. You should be able to see the entrance after you pass security.

The lounge is small and not the best selections. We get in free with our credit cards otherwise we would never buy a pass for there. The Buffalo airport usually isn't that crazy busy which is typically why we would use a lounge, but lately we have just been using it to get a free coffee or a kick off glass of champagne and not have to wait in the Tim Hortons line! The Club at MCO is WAY better and I know about people that even complain about that one lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter