Anyone ever sew a princess costume?

dijid

American Expat in France for a while
I was wondering if anyone had ever sewn their own princess costume? JoAnn's is having patterns for $.99 this Saturday and I was kicking the idea around of getting the McCall's easy sew version of Snow White. I figured this way I could choose the fabrics/quality of it. Plus, I sew my kids Halloween costumes every year and am not sure I want to break tradition and buy one this year.

I'm still a novice sewer, and was hoping someone who has BTDT might let me know if I'm getting in over my head.

There were two threads on this subject last month, unfortunately I didn't save them ... but you can go looking for them.

I had two costumes made from the *simplest* Simplicity Disney princess pattern. Here's a link to a photo of my granddaughter wearing her Ariel dress:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4117860&a=30703826&p=64095243&f=0

As I mentioned in the earlier thread, if I was to do this again I would use purple satin for the bodice and use the sequined material for the overskirt.

Another poster gave great advice re: itchy material, but I still feel moving the possibly itchy material away from the neck sleeves is the easiest remedy. My granddaughter didn't find it itchy, but my nieces did.

I also had the neckline opening cut smaller as I was afraid it would slide off my granddaughter's shoulder ... she's very slim.

HTH

Hi there. I recently made my daughter a dress to wear to CRT on our trip (we leave in two hours!!!!). While it isn't exactly a princess costume, I did use a princess costume pattern (McCall's #9454) and the fabric was two different cotton blends I found at walmart. The bodice is a purple background with sparkles and it has Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and Aurora on it with the word princess printed randomly. I used a coordinating fabric that was white with the same princesses printed in the same purple all over it for the underskirt. Then using the purple with princesses background fabric I made an overskirt so that the white underskirt peeks out. Confused yet??? Ha Ha....
I am not near to being a professional, but I do sew quite a bit. This was honestly the hardest thing I have ever made but so worth the time and effort. It turned out beautiful. I modified the bodice to make it sleeveless also, since it will be so hot when we are going.
If you think you can handle it, than I say go for it!
I wish I had a pic to post this dress...:( ...it really is cute.

Thanks for your responses. I did find last month's discussion, if anyone is interested:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403243&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Of course, this afternoon, DD tells me that she doesn't want to be Snow White anymore, she wants to be Belle. Aargh! I have a feeling she will change her mind back and forth a million times before Halloween. I had really hoped to have a costume for her in time for our planned Sept. trip. Maybe I'll just buy both of the easy sew patterns and see which one I think I can handle!

and have done just about every variation you can think of. The simplicity easy sew pattern is the easiest. I try not to sew Mccall's at all.

Oh, be sure and ask you daughter WHICH Belle she wants to be, Belle in the yellow dress or Belle in the Blue/White dress. I made the yellow one and dd comes back and says no mommy, the Blue Belle. Blue Belle is the one you see most commonly at the parks.

good luck

If you're planning to make the pattern "as is" without any variations/modifications to the pattern, the Easy Sew shouldn't give you any trouble. I haven't made that particular one, but I've made others and found them to be fairly simple and straightforward.

I'm planning to make the Deluxe version of the Aurora for my DD and will need to size it down, as the smallest pattern size is a 3T and I need a 2T. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it! It looks like THE most complicated thing I've ever attempted! I've made a lot of costumes, but nothing quite as involved as that one.

On the bright side for us both...if there's a small mistake, it won't be that big a deal, right? It isn't her wedding gown, or anything quite that important! (Almost, but not quite...LOL.)

I say "Go For It!"

And Memaw...
Your granddaughter is beautiful! That dress is also fabulous, much better than the ones you buy ready-made. It will probably also last much longer. If she's anything like I was as a girl, she'll have it on often!

Tracey

Originally posted by jcemom
And Memaw...
Your granddaughter is beautiful! That dress is also fabulous ... Tracey

Thank you! I think she's pretty darn cute ... but as her g'mother I have to think that, LOL!

And the dress really is fabulous ... the gal who made it works in fashion design in NYC and was able to buy fabric at a great price ... the satin is really thick and smooth ... I call it wedding dress satin.

Can't wait to see the Snow White dress ... it was sent from NYC to VA via Rachel's half-brother who delivered it to his grandmother, and now my DD has to go pick it up this weekend.

You'll have to link us to pics of that one as well...I can't wait to see it! I'll post pics of mine if it comes out looking as it should...if not...well, I'll just never mention it again! LOL
rolleyes03.gif

dijid...we want to see pics of yours when it's finished!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter