Anyone ever had luck getting shipping costs back from usps?

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Ok, so long story short two weeks ago I sent my godson a Christmas gift. It has been making its way all across the country, from PA to FL to CA. At this point I'm starting to think he may never get it-luckily the contents are insured but I'm wondering if I could get the shipping costs back from usps too. I get a feeling the answer is no but I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for a package that never arrived! It was $15 to mail it! Anyone ever had any luck with this?

Not an expert, but think only certain services get refunds. How was it sent? Is their tracking on the package, and if so what does that indicate? It does seem you paid for a service you did not receive. I will say my family had very slow cross country package delivery experiences this month too. But two weeks is a long time, barring receiving complications on the other end ( like an apartment building that holds packages and the pickup times don't mesh with working people's schedules, meaning they can can only get them on the weekend).

To be honest I have always wondered how the insurance claim process works since the usps really has no clue what was in the package and its value. Do they really just accept the mailers stated value of the contents? And at what point can you file a claim. And if their system shows the package as delivered, can you even file a claim.

I guess I have more questions than you do!

Last edited:
Not an expert, but think only certain services get refunds. How was it sent? Is their tracking on the package, and if so what does that indicate? It does seem you paid for a service you did not receive. I will say my family had very slow cross country package delivery experiences this month too. But two weeks is a long time, barring receiving complications on the other end ( like an apartment building that holds packages and the pickup times don't mesh with working people's schedules, meaning they can can only get them on the weekend).

To be honest I have always wondered how the insurance claim process works since the usps really has no clue what was in the package and its value. Do they really just accept the mailers stated value of the contents? And at what point can you file a claim. And if their system shows the package as deleovered, can you even file a claim.

I guess I have more questions than you do!

It sure is confusing! I sent it with tracking and $50 insurance, which should pretty much cover the contents of the package, but not the shipping cost. I know when I mailed it I had to give a description of what was inside and got $50 insurance included and had to pay for more insurance. It is kn California now which is the opposite side of the country from where he is, but hopefully it get rerouted soon!

USPS refunds shipping costs for packages that were not delivered on time, but only if they were sent Express (the only level of service where delivery times are guaranteed, everything else is just estimated) or if the package was fully insured and is deemed a total loss (not just damaged or misdirected but eventually delivered).

Hopefully your package eventually finds it's way to the intended destination and you don't have to worry about filing a claim.

When I used usps expedited ( I just recall it said it would be delivered on a specific date, forgot "name" of service) on an international box I paid about $118. I did not know and was told by clerk that tracking Was included and IF it did not arrive on that specific date I was entitled to a complete refund.
Well it arrived about 6 hours too late.. which generated the Next day's delivery Dateon the Tracking website.

I called the number on my receipt, printed a form online and received a full refund check in the mail.
Honestly the exact delivery date was not a concern to me.. I just wanted it there fast but since they failed to meet the date and it was so costly...If they hadn't told me, I would not even have known.

Thanks so much for all of the useful information everyone! The package has left the sorting facility in California so I hope that means it's on its way back to the east coast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter