Anyone else having trouble with appliances?

It's funny you should bring up this topic. Yesterday DH was using the toaster oven and noticed the cord was very hot. He unplugged it and when he plugged it in again it "blew," so no Pop Tarts for him. :( Did some research online and couldn't find one like the current model which has held up since 2002. Most of the newer models are convection/toaster ovens so of course they cost more. DH went out to do some work in his shop and his circular saw quit working (he does carpentry work for a living). Today the ice maker is acting up again and freezing solid. It's been professionally repaired at least twice over the last few years, and the repair guy did say that ice makers in general are very prone to problems. Very frustrating that things are built so cheaply and need replacing more often.

I was beginning to think a curse had been put upon our house with all the problems we've had over the past month. Guess it's going around. The week before Easter the range went out of commission for a week when the gas coming out of the burners was red. I called GE customer service and was told not to use it until a repairman came out. That took a week, so had to prepare Easter dinner using InstantPot, slow cooker, and grill. Then the kitchen faucet developed a leak. Thankfully, it just needed a cartridge replaced that we were able to pick up at Lowes. This week the ice maker died and the handle came off the freezer side of the fridge. Got the handle back on, but it's wobbly. We decided to replace the fridge, but it's a 2-4 week wait for delivery. This morning the Keurig started sounding weird. Fun times! :crazy:

Did the repair guy happen to recommend any specific dishwashers or brands? Ours is experiencing a slow demise -- inefficient washing, not drying, water not getting hot, etc. We're debating trying to repair it vs. just getting a new one.

No. I live in a rental house. The landlord just wanted to replace it with basically an equivalent model so that all the appliances in the kitchen would match. We ended up getting the upgraded version (stainless steel interior vs plastic) of the same dishwasher, because it is literally the BEST cleaning dishwasher I have ever had. It is a Whirlpool Gold Series. It was just around $700. My landlord said "if this one lasts 5 years too, that's good enough for me." She would rather replace appliances every few years knowing they will be trouble free for awhile. Probably easier for her.

FWIW, we are HEAVY dishwasher users. We run it at least once a day, sometimes twice, every day without fail. So, 5 years is pretty good under that kind of usage.

We have an appliance issue of a whole different sort. Our house was built in 1950 (which I love, still has all the original hardwood) so the washer and dryer live in the kitchen area since laundry rooms weren't a thing when it was built. The washer dryer is right at the doorway into the kitchen, and the appliances currently just barely stick out into the doorway (an inch ay most). Our 20 year old washer (it's been so good to us! ) is starting to struggle. But bad news... Washers and dryers have gotten deeper over the years. The smallest ones we can find are 2" deeper than our current washer and also require more room in the back for the hookups. Which would mean the washer would stick out into the kitchen doorway entrance SEVERAL inches. :guilty:

All we want is to get a new washer/dryer set, but it's resulted in us having to decide whether to widen the doorway, install a laundry closet in some other area of the house, or build a mud room which we doesn't really make sense for us... Bleck.

My dishwasher was going south before Covid. But now that every meal is made at home, it's getting more usage and I said enough. The new one has been ordered!!

How did you do this? Our dishwasher stopped draining about a year ago and DH can't figure out how to access the drain pump at all!

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific -- this was our washing machine. It's a 13 year old front loader and the drain pump is fairly accessible from the bottom panel.

Our dishwasher was leaking a few years ago and needed a new seal but never replaced the pump on it so I'm afraid I have no advice there. :(

Our 4 year old LG dishwasher stopped working. It turned out to be a bad motor. The motor was still covered under the 10 year motor factory warranty but LG declined to fix it. I submitted a claim to the extended warranty company and they reimbursed us for 100% of what we originally paid for the dishwasher. That was a pleasant surprise. Now to go dishwasher shopping.....

... On another note, a lot of our neighbors have had to have emergency septic tank pumps - guess septic tanks are not made for 24/7 use with 5-6 people!!!!
All septic tanks need to be pumped out periodically/routinely. The more people living in the house and the more paper products and tampons and other artificial solid material flushed down, the more often the septic tank needs to be pumped.

An established septic tank pumping company should be able to suggest the time interval between pump outs after asking you a few questions about family size and habits. I am wildly guessing that a septic system for a 3 bedroom house would handle 5 to 6 persons and not a lot of paper and disposer ground food scraps with a 3 year pump out interval.

Not pumping the septic tank when needed will shorten the life of the leach field (part of the system beyond the septic tank). Redoing the leach field is a major expense.

Last edited:
My dishwasher heating element died last week so I've been running cold loads with no drying. Unfortunately that means almost washing the dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher.

I just assume with my state, Maryland, being on lock down that I wouldn't be able to replace it. So any advice on a good brand/model for when we open everything up? I've had this Kenmore for about 13 years and never really liked the way it cleaned.

Yes, the washer stopped draining last weekend. We replaced the drain pump after the part came in 2 days ago. Back in action for 18 bucks.

Been there, done that one many times. We bought ours in 2002, and I replaced the pump and belt at least 3x over the course of the next 16 years. The motor finally gave out last year, and we had to buy a new one. Which I guarantee probably won't last 5 years, never mind almost 18! They just don't make them the way they used to :(

No. I live in a rental house. The landlord just wanted to replace it with basically an equivalent model so that all the appliances in the kitchen would match. We ended up getting the upgraded version (stainless steel interior vs plastic) of the same dishwasher, because it is literally the BEST cleaning dishwasher I have ever had. It is a Whirlpool Gold Series. It was just around $700. My landlord said "if this one lasts 5 years too, that's good enough for me." She would rather replace appliances every few years knowing they will be trouble free for awhile. Probably easier for her.

FWIW, we are HEAVY dishwasher users. We run it at least once a day, sometimes twice, every day without fail. So, 5 years is pretty good under that kind of usage.
Thank you -- I think I need to put "dishwasher shopping" on our to-do list!

My dishwasher heating element died last week so I've been running cold loads with no drying. Unfortunately that means almost washing the dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher.

I just assume with my state, Maryland, being on lock down that I wouldn't be able to replace it. So any advice on a good brand/model for when we open everything up? I've had this Kenmore for about 13 years and never really liked the way it cleaned.

NJ has stay at home too. We just got our refrigerator repaired. You likely can buy a new appliance on line from a brick and mortar store.

Some advice. Turn your hot water heater up. Run the hot in the sink before turning the dishwasher on so the first water in is hot. You shouldn’t need the machine to heat the water. No reason not to just air dry the load. You’ll save electricity.

I really like our Bosch. Does a good job washing and is incredibly quiet. One downside — no air dry cycle, you have to turn it off and open the door.

@seashoreCM, Yes, I realize all that - just stating an observation that staying at home 24/7 has made a major difference even in those lengths of time between pumping.

@BillSears, we had to replace a refrigerator during lock down also, dh & I decided on a new one by researching online, then dh went to our local Lowes store, bought one, and they delivered it promptly.

I mentioned earlier we need a new dishwasher. Ours is a Kenmore and I’ve never liked it. Others we’ve had were better, I think one was a Whirlpool. Shame because we previously had good luck with Kenmore products.

I was also surprised to read so many people have trouble with their ice makers. I was thinking of having ours repaired cause DH really misses it, but it seems like they often break again? I hate to have to buy a new refrigerator we have the smallest size side by side made and they’re hard to find.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just worried about exposing myself when I go out to shop and when I'd have people over to install it. For now I'm not frustrated enough to add the extra smallish risk. I've got a some added high risk things so I'm only going out grocery shopping once a month and staying home otherwise.

It sounds like Bosch is a good brand. After being disappointed in my Kenmore from day one I'd be happy to pay more for something that really works.

My microwave is clinging to life, barely. The light no longer works, but it still runs.

My A/C, however, went out. That has been terrible.

And my laptop has been garbage for a while, and just before all the kids had to buy computers for school, I was looking at great deals on a new one... sigh.

However, none of this has anything to do with being home, as I'm still working as normal, and while my husband is currently out of work, he always worked from home regardless.

Aren't your big box home improvement stores open? Lowes and Home Depot? I buy all my appliances at Lowes.

Aren't your big box home improvement stores open? Lowes and Home Depot? I buy all my appliances at Lowes.

Probably? I just assumed they were open for essential items only and to me a dishwasher isn't essential. Plus I'd rather not go shopping or have installers over if I can avoid it.

Probably? I just assumed they were open for essential items only and to me a dishwasher isn't essential. Plus I'd rather not go shopping or have installers over if I can avoid it.

LOL. A dishwasher is super essential for me. The one week we were without it was awful!

Just so you know, you can buy anything that home improvement stores are selling. There were never any limitations, at least here in CA. I heard some states closed the garden centers in these stores though.

I broke a mechanism on my Cuisinart bowl while trying to fix it so gave the motor to a member of building staff so he can buy a new bowl and just bought self a new food processor. My old unit was an 8 cup and the new one is a 14 cup so there's that in the good thing column.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter