Anyone else get the "Disney Rash" on their legs?

I also have suffered from the Disney rash. The vascular doctor (I have varicose veins) recommended knee high support stockings which I wore for many years. They look silly, but they did prevent the rash from occurring. I also told everyone I was auditioning for a job as a Disney host for the Keys to the Kingdom tour as they wear similar stockings! :cool1:

My wife and I just returned from a week at WDW and Universal. We had a wonderful time but on the next to last day we noticed a rash developing around her ankles. It now covers most of her lower leg from the top of where her socks ended (nothing on her feet) up to below her knees. We Googled "Disney Rash" and found many references to it but no definite answer. The day the rash broke out we had done a lot of walking - probably in excess of five miles - but we're both in good shape and that amount of walking is not something we can't handle. She's more on the thin side rather than stout. From what I've read on the Google search the rash goes away quickly but I was just wondering what causes it. Any thoughts?

Could be bedbugs. I have seen several posts about bedbugs at Disney resorts. When they bite, it is a rash that looks like poison ivy.

I used to get this rash everytime I went to WDW. Then I read something about using a heavy duty sunscreen (50+) and slather it on heavily. Ever since I've been rash free (I'm going to knock on wood here).

Cyn

A friend was also told it tends to affect people who take certain blood pressure medications and the best prevention is to take breaks and sit down occasionally. Epcot and AK are the 2 worse parks where people tend to be on their feet alot w/out taking the needed breaks. Once my friend was aware of the need to do this she did not have the problem again.

Laura

my mom and aunt got it in '95 when we all went together. at that time, i was using hydrocortizone on my legs constantly and didn't get it.

i'm really rash prone...sensitive skin.

then another time we all got it, but it went down at night.

since i've got psoriasis, i haven't noticed it because i was already splotchy with red spots.

i'm gonna be on the lookout for it this year since i've gotten my skin clear.

and FTR, we didn't go swimming or play in puddles or anything like that. they thought they got it from walking thru the shrubs out front by the parking lot.

We were visiting WDW from June 3 to June 15 this summer. I developed a rash the evening after visiting Blizzard Beach. It started out as red bumps behind my knees that were really itchy. Then over the course of the next few days, I had a rash on my stomach, back and all over the rest of my legs. It was itchy and uncomfortable, but cleared up in about 3 days. It could have been anything from chlorine, sun, or sun screen. Since I can't narrow it down, I'm in danger of it reoccuring. Wish I knew.

I have had it a couple of times. I don't go swimming, so it's not that. I didn't get it on some of my hotter trips, so I don't know what the cause really is.

I get it also, the last 4 years or so, but I don't get it in the Winter Months as much as I do in May or June...I even got it wearing those Thin Nylon type socks at work, but I threw those away, had to put Foot Powder on my legs to make it go away.:confused3 As soon as I get on the plane back to Ft. Lauderdale the "splotches" are GONE!:laughing:

I've had it too. I've noticed it only really flares up when I've got my legs wet. i.e on a water ride or I've cut across wet grass. If I stay dry, I hardly seem to get it at all.

My wife came down with a bad case of "Disney Rash" during a trip to WDW in April 2009. On the morning of our third day of our trip, she noticed a a little bit of redness on her lower legs above her sockline. By that night, the rash had turned a deep red color and had extended all the way from her sockline to half way up her calf. She also was experiencing a burning sensation in her lower legs. We went to the Celebration Hospital Emergency Room where she was diagnosed with "Disney Rash." The physician said that the Disney Rash was caused by a combination of heat and sunlight reflecting off the pavement, resulting in the bursting of tiny blood vessels right below the skin. Although it can affect anyone, people with circulatory problems or varicose veins are more prone to these symptoms. My wife was advised to keep her feet elevated, keep her legs covered and out of the sunlight, and make sure that she sunscreen on her legs whenever they were exposed to the sun. For the rest of our trip, my wife used a wheel chair and we bought a beach towel to cover her legs. The physician at Celebration Hospital said that the rash would resolve within two weeks, and she was right. However, she also said that in extreme cases, the bursting blood vessels can exacerbate circulatory problems and result in dangerous blood clots.

By the way, there was no "rash" on the surface of the skin. The bursting blood vessels were just under the outer layer of skin.

For those interested, here is a photo we took while my wife was waiting to see the ER physician. Notice how the Disney Rash starts right above her sockline.

DSCN0476.jpg
WOW!:scared1: Note to self-pack some hydrocortisone cream when I go to WDW from now on. And don't be too anxious to wear shorts-long pants are OK. I've never gotten this, and didn't know how serious it can be. Now I'm really counting my good fortune.

Wow, I used to get it above my sock line every trip when we lived in NJ and only went every two years. We toured non-stop for seven days straight, arriving at rope-drop and staying till closing. We never went back to the hotel for a break. Most of our trips were in November, so it wasn't always hot. No one else in the traveling party (7-14 people on various trips) ever got it. I always thought it was because I wasn't used to being on my feet all day long and I was overweight.

Since retiring four years ago, we've been going two or three times a year between October and May, so we take it a lot slower and I've lost forty pounds. I haven't had the problem since.

Exactly what my wife gets everytime we go....then by the time we get home it is usually almost gone. Thought maybe she got this exclusively!

My wife came down with a bad case of "Disney Rash" during a trip to WDW in April 2009. On the morning of our third day of our trip, she noticed a a little bit of redness on her lower legs above her sockline. By that night, the rash had turned a deep red color and had extended all the way from her sockline to half way up her calf. She also was experiencing a burning sensation in her lower legs. We went to the Celebration Hospital Emergency Room where she was diagnosed with "Disney Rash." The physician said that the Disney Rash was caused by a combination of heat and sunlight reflecting off the pavement, resulting in the bursting of tiny blood vessels right below the skin. Although it can affect anyone, people with circulatory problems or varicose veins are more prone to these symptoms. My wife was advised to keep her feet elevated, keep her legs covered and out of the sunlight, and make sure that she sunscreen on her legs whenever they were exposed to the sun. For the rest of our trip, my wife used a wheel chair and we bought a beach towel to cover her legs. The physician at Celebration Hospital said that the rash would resolve within two weeks, and she was right. However, she also said that in extreme cases, the bursting blood vessels can exacerbate circulatory problems and result in dangerous blood clots.

By the way, there was no "rash" on the surface of the skin. The bursting blood vessels were just under the outer layer of skin.

For those interested, here is a photo we took while my wife was waiting to see the ER physician. Notice how the Disney Rash starts right above her sockline.

DSCN0476.jpg

It sounds like there might be two distinct rashes here. One is the red rash just under the skin and the other a bumpy rash on the skin. I sometimes get an itchy bumpy type usually on the space between my thumbs and forefingers and back of knees. I think that this one is a heat rash.

I've never seen the other type but I'll definitely be slathering on the sunscreen!

We went to the Celebration Hospital Emergency Room where she was diagnosed with "Disney Rash." The physician said that the Disney Rash was caused by a combination of heat and sunlight reflecting off the pavement, resulting in the bursting of tiny blood vessels right below the skin. QUOTE]

I took my mother to First Aid at Epcot and they told her the same thing. The asphalt has tiny pieces of glass in it and this causes the reflection of the sunlight.

OP, i have not read all of the responses, but what you call "disney rash" is what i call "epcot rash". i am allergic to the sun, and always wear sunscreen at wdw. however, for some reason, i have never needed it on my legs. with that said, epcot is the exception. from what i understand, there is a special something added to the pavement at epcot, which causes it to reflect more light. this causes a particularly itchy, splotchy rash in those of us who are photosensitive. NEVER again will i EVER go to epcot without sunscreen on my legs, because the itch from this rash is absolutely unbearable! i never wear sunscreen on my legs at the other parks, and have not gotten a rash at any of them yet.

I get it too. I always get mine at Epcot. I get the tiny bursts of blood vessels right above my sock line under the skin. My ankles and lower legs get red with the rash, swelling and pain. I always attributed it to overweight, heat, and lots of walking. I do have varicose veins. I usually just put my legs up and rested when I got back to the hotel (much later). Can't stop at disney:banana: Next time I will put sunscreen on them and bring some cortisone. Thanks for starting the thread. I always thought it was just me:confused3

My son got this one year when we went in December & it was an extremely hot December, 90 plus degrees almost all week. We typically go each December because it is cooler & my son was sick before we left, so his immune system was already low, so he developed this & I found out what it was by reading the DIS, PMLE, polymorphic light eruption. I was FREAKING out because it was spreading like wild fire on him, I covered him in Extra Strength Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel, anthing that has a histamine blocker in it & gave him some oral benadryl as well & this stopped the spreading & eventually after about 4-5 days, it went away. But if we did not continue with the topical Benadryl, it wanted to keep coming back.

http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/pmle.html

:santa::santa::santa:

As has already been mentioned by several posters, the 'Dis Rash' is most typically either a case of vasculitis, or PMLE.

I personally am prone to PMLE, and have experienced it while at WDW. It is not a sunburn or heat rash, but an allergic reaction to the intense sunlight--using sunscreen doesn't effect it. What works for me is to begin taking benadryl orally (pill form) several days before our vacation, and then once per day during. This helps to prevent the allergic reaction from occurring.

Until I had PMLE for the second time, I really didn't know much about it (like many others, I initially thought it was a reaction to something else entirely). It does occur more often in women as we age (30+), even if you've never had any issues with it previously.

BTW as my DH, wdrl in his post above, to prevent Disney Rash while I'm at WDW, I now use SPF 50 or higher sunscreen and reapply it every few hours.
Your rash is the same kind that I get and is called Golfer's Vasculitis. http://walking.about.com/od/medhot/a/legrash.htm You can even get it while wearing jeans and also at night if it is still extremely hot. I've gotten it several times from walking around in Downtown Disney at night while wearing full-length jeans on a hot night. The doctors say it mostly hits people who are 4-F (female, forty/fifty, fat, and fair-skinned). Support hose like the kind that diabetics wear or the kind you get after surgery can help but it's often too darn hot to wear it around the parks. Since moving to Florida, about 7 years ago, I've just learned to recognize the symptoms before it gets bad. I start feeling a burning/stinging under the skin when it first starts and so I try to get off my feet then. It also only tends to occur when my legs/ankles/ or feet start swelling. You need to stop the swelling before the small capillaries start to bleed under the skin. I still manage to get it about 2 or 3 times a year on the days when I can't get off my feet in the heat. But it's still better that when I was a tourist and was going commando style at the parks. I usually had it my whole trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter